Mikel To Be Rested, Leon Balogun In Line To Captain Nigeria.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Mikel To Be Rested, Leon Balogun In Line To Captain Nigeria.

Post by Tobi17 »

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/11/09/mi ... t-algeria/

Leon Balogun could wear the captain armband for Nigeria for the first time in his career when they take on Algeria tomorrow in a dead rubber :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: World Cup 2018 Qualifiers tie.

Coach Gernot Rohr is likely to rest regular captain John Obi Mikel to keep him fresh for Tuesday game against Argentina, and in the absence of vice captain Ogenyi Onazi and Elderson Echiejile, Balogun looks likely to be named captain.

Hints about Mikel starting from the bench was provided by coach Rohr in yesterday’s training when Mikel lined up with Team B in what was his first training session with the team..

The trio of John Ogu, Ogehenekaro Etebo and Wilfred Ndidi played in midfield with the team that lo‎oks more likely to start tomorrow’s game in the tactical session.

A decision will however be made by the coach after the team’s final training session this evening in Algeria ahead of the 8:30pm clash tomorrow.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Mikel To Be Rested, Leon Balogun In Line To Captain Nige

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Tobi17 wrote:http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/11/09/mi ... t-algeria/

Leon Balogun could wear the captain armband for Nigeria for the first time in his career when they take on Algeria tomorrow in a dead rubber :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: World Cup 2018 Qualifiers tie.

Coach Gernot Rohr is likely to rest regular captain John Obi Mikel to keep him fresh for Tuesday game against Argentina, and in the absence of vice captain Ogenyi Onazi and Elderson Echiejile, Balogun looks likely to be named captain.

Hints about Mikel starting from the bench was provided by coach Rohr in yesterday’s training when Mikel lined up with Team B in what was his first training session with the team..

The trio of John Ogu, Ogehenekaro Etebo and Wilfred Ndidi played in midfield with the team that lo‎oks more likely to start tomorrow’s game in the tactical session.

A decision will however be made by the coach after the team’s final training session this evening in Algeria ahead of the 8:30pm clash tomorrow.

Let us see if Etebo can play the playmaker role. I will be watching him closely. For me, Iwobi is not physically strong enough to play in that position, so I will be looking to see how Etebo copes.

It makes sense to erst Mikel for the Argentina game. At his age, he cannot hack two games within a week. By the 60th minute he will be gasping for air.

I just hope that upfront he goes for Onyekuru, Kayode and Iheanacho. For me, they are talents who need to be made to accept responsibility.

At the back, I suspect Rohr will go for Ebuehi and Aina as his fullbacks.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Let us see if Etebo can play the playmaker role. I will be watching him closely. For me, Iwobi is not physically strong enough to play in that position, so I will be looking to see how Etebo copes.

It makes sense to erst Mikel for the Argentina game. At his age, he cannot hack two games within a week. By the 60th minute he will be gasping for air.

I just hope that upfront he goes for Onyekuru, Kayode and Iheanacho. For me, they are talents who need to be made to accept responsibility.

It is not really about the Playmaker role but the ability to calm things down for everyone on the pitch. Mikel does it... he has a calming influence on the pitch. The other player who might be capable of doing same is John Ogu. Folks that you can give the ball to and they are not harried or trying to get rid of it.... and can pass ball to feet.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I actually think Mikel should play in Algeria, and then rest him for the Argentina game. No one expects Nigeria to beat Argentina, but Nigerians will (as usual) go mental if we lose to an African team (the Algeria game).
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

wiseone wrote:I actually think Mikel should play in Algeria, and then rest him for the Argentina game. No one expects Nigeria to beat Argentina, but Nigerians will (as usual) go mental if we lose to an African team (the Algeria game).
Wiseone, we have actually started preparations for the WC proper (there are just 7 months to go) and there is no better opposition for Rohr to test his first 11 against.

Btw we beat Argentina in a friendly, so I don't think the players or coach are going into this game expecting to roll over and have their bellies tickled. If we land in Russia unbeaten in the qualifiers and holding Argentina, mentally it puts any team we are drawn with under pressure. Rohr is aware of this.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

[/video]
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

The article mentioned Etebo might start. Where do you guys think his best position is? I like his attacking runs and that he can score, however, I prefer Iwobi over Etebo in the AM position because Iwobi is a better passer and makes better off the ball runs.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

olu wrote:The article mentioned Etebo might start. Where do you guys think his best position is? I like his attacking runs and that he can score, however, I prefer Iwobi over Etebo in the AM position because Iwobi is a better passer and makes better off the ball runs.
Iwobi should stay wide as he did in the 2nd leg game against Zambia. Etebo can play central (and play the Ramsey role) and ghost into the box as Nacho pulls players out of position with his runs.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Which game do you think the strongest 11 is apt for? Algeria or Argentina? Your post was not clear on that.

We do not actually have our strongest 11 available right now anyway (no Moses, Onazi, Troost, Ighalo, Echiejile).
Mr Shows wrote: Wiseone, we have actually started preparations for the WC proper (there are just 7 months to go) and there is no better opposition for Rohr to test his first 11 against.

Btw we beat Argentina in a friendly, so I don't think the players or coach are going into this game expecting to roll over and have their bellies tickled. If we land in Russia unbeaten in the qualifiers and holding Argentina, mentally it puts any team we are drawn with under pressure. Rohr is aware of this.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

wiseone wrote:I actually think Mikel should play in Algeria, and then rest him for the Argentina game. No one expects Nigeria to beat Argentina, but Nigerians will (as usual) go mental if we lose to an African team (the Algeria game).
Algeria will not be at the World but the likes of Argentina will be there so it makes sense to test out our Captain when we can against such opposition as we rarely get to play against them!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

wiseone wrote:Which game do you think the strongest 11 is apt for? Algeria or Argentina? Your post was not clear on that.

We do not actually have our strongest 11 available right now anyway (no Moses, Onazi, Troost, Ighalo, Echiejile).
Mr Shows wrote: Wiseone, we have actually started preparations for the WC proper (there are just 7 months to go) and there is no better opposition for Rohr to test his first 11 against.

I would play our strongest team against Argentina.

The fringe players have been in the set up all through the qualifiers so Ogu, Ebuehi, Etebo, Musa, Nwakaeme should be able to handle the task and adapt to Rohr's plan.

A draw against Algeria isn't bad result. It means we remain undefeated in the WC qualifiers. Against Argentina, we need to field the closest we can get to our first team. For instance I would play Troost and Leon against Argentina but drop either or both against Algeria.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

olu wrote:The article mentioned Etebo might start. Where do you guys think his best position is? I like his attacking runs and that he can score, however, I prefer Iwobi over Etebo in the AM position because Iwobi is a better passer and makes better off the ball runs.
I'd rather see Iwobi play centrally too; rather than starting wide.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Balogun is a solid choice for captain in Mikel's absence.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The trouble is that if we lose badly to Algeria "The Nigerian Street" will lose their collective minds and start calling for the coach to be fired, "disband the team" and all the other madness that usually precedes Nigerian WC campaigns.

On the contrary, no one expects a victory against Argentina. A friendly would be an apt game to try fringe players (Onyekuru, Obuehi, Azubuike, Nwakaeme, Uzoho etc).
Mr Shows wrote: I would play our strongest team against Argentina.

The fringe players have been in the set up all through the qualifiers so Ogu, Ebuehi, Etebo, Musa, Nwakaeme should be able to handle the task and adapt to Rohr's plan.

A draw against Algeria isn't bad result. It means we remain undefeated in the WC qualifiers. Against Argentina, we need to field the closest we can get to our first team. For instance I would play Troost and Leon against Argentina but drop either or both against Algeria.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

I believe Ekong is next in line before Balogun; so why balogun ?
Last edited by jette1 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

wiseone wrote:The trouble is that if we lose badly to Algeria "The Nigerian Street" will lose their collective minds and start calling for the coach to be fired, "disband the team" and all the other madness that usually precedes Nigerian WC campaigns.

On the contrary, no one expects a victory against Argentina. A friendly would be an apt game to try fringe players (Onyekuru, Obuehi, Azubuike, Nwakaeme, Uzoho etc).
Mr Shows wrote: I would play our strongest team against Argentina.

Speak for yourself. Nigerian fans are a lot more matured than that.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

guys both games are worthless, it's all about performance
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Mr Shows wrote:[/video]

Chei Joel Obi :(
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Mr Shows wrote:
Iwobi should stay wide as he did in the 2nd leg game against Zambia. Etebo can play central (and play the Ramsey role) and ghost into the box as Nacho pulls players out of position with his runs.
:thumbs:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Cellular wrote:It is not really about the Playmaker role but the ability to calm things down for everyone on the pitch. Mikel does it... he has a calming influence on the pitch. The other player who might be capable of doing same is John Ogu. Folks that you can give the ball to and they are not harried or trying to get rid of it.... and can pass ball to feet.
:agree:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

The most sensible you have observed, iwobi not strong to hold possession in midfield. I observed that against Senegal, they bullied him off the balls and misplaced passes.

He loves coming into the midfield from the wings.
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

jette1 wrote:I believe Ekong is next in line before Balogun; so why balogun ?
you must be dream.ing apart from Balogun is older and more mature. He has being with team since 2013..injury stopped him from making the 2014 world cup squad
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Bigpokey24 wrote:guys both games are worthless, it's all about performance
So they're not worthless then.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.