10 things I learnt from watching the Swiss and Croatians

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
10 things I learnt from watching the Swiss and Croatians

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] I was very keen to watch the Swiss and Croatians last night to see how their World Cup preparations compare with ours and those of other African nations and I found both matches very informative

[2] For starters, Northern Ireland have based their success on sound defending, being well organised and team discipline. I wanted to see how this would work against a team with a bit of creativity and the results were very educative. What struck me was that Northern Ireland could not keep hold of the ball against the Swiss last night

[3] Switzerland are a team full of technical players very comfortable on the ball like Lichtsteiner, Rodriguez, Zuber, Zakaria and Shaqiri. They are not great players but they are good players who retain possession well. Against a team like Northern Ireland they retained possession but in the last third, they did not really cause much damage. Switzerland had a lot of possession but did not really trouble the Northern Ireland goalkeeper much

[4] They say the best way to defend is to deny the opposition possession of the ball. This was brought home to me last night. Northern Ireland's players had too heavy a touch so could not retain the ball because space was tight. This is something any serious team needs to really focus on. To do well at the World Cup, you need players with a good first touch

[5] Switzerland's coach pulled off a master strike using the 20-year old Denis Zakaria in central midfield. South Sudanese-born Zakaria was making his debut last night and the Borussia Monchengladbach player regarded as the Swiss Patrick Viera and Paul Pogba was simply brilliant. His class, control, drive, passing and mastering of the midfield made him stand out

[6] Swiss coach Vladimir Petković also pulled off another masterstroke in defence playing the 22 year old Manuel Obafemi Akanji on the left side of the defence in a three-man backline. This was only his third cap but the boy put the horrible British commentators to shame with his comfort on the ball. One can always read into their nasty innuendos about how he would be the weak link, how his "inexperience" would be exploited but unfortunately for them, he did not put a foot wrong in the game

[7] One other big lesson I picked up from this match is that you need players who are comfortable on the ball. All those gra-gra defenders who boot the ball to nowhere, midfielders who are only good at tackling and strikers with a heavy touch are total liabilities at the highest level. I am sure Gernot Rohr would have been watching both games and taking note

[8] Also, if you are good enough, you are old enough. Vladimir Petković made that point last night by playing two inexperienced youngsters in such a high profile competitive game. Akanji performed far bertter than Johan Djourou would have done last night. All those old school coaches who only have confidence in "experienced players" and are too scared to venture into the unknown are liabilities

[9] With Greece, they created most of their own problems with silly mistakes at the back, losing concentration and trying to be too clever in defence. They forgot the meaning of the word Row Z last night. This is something every coach needs to take seriously. Your defenders have to be mentally switched on for 90 minutes. The World Cup is nor for frills or showing off

[10] Coming back to our Eagles, my view that we need two of three players who can deliver 50-yard passes, can keep possession of the ball in tight spaces and can play clever one-twos was only reinforced last night. At the moment, only Mikel can really do that. Gernot Rohr is short of at least two classy players in midfield. I am hoping that Wilfred Ndidi can add this to his game as he looks like the player in the squad with the brightest future. Over the next two matches, Rohr should instruct Ndidi to try a few "Oliseh passes."

I will watch most of today's games and offer further thoughts but I found yesterday very educational.
Last edited by Ayo Akinfe on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: 10 things I learnt from watching the Swiss and Croatians

Post by truetalk »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] I was very keen to watch the Swiss and Croatians last night to see how their World Cup preparations compare with ours and those of other African nations and I found both matches very informative

[2] For starters, Northern Ireland have based their success on sound defending, being well organised and team discipline. I wanted to see how this would work against a team with a bit of creativity and the results were very educative. What struck me was that Northern Ireland could not keep hold of the ball against the Swiss last night

[3] Switzerland are a team full of technical players very comfortable on the ball like Lichtsteiner, Rodriguez, Zuber, Zakaria and Shaqiri. They are not great players but they are good players who retain possession well. Against a team like Northern Ireland they retained possession but in the last third, they did not really cause much damage. Switzerland had a lot of possession but did not really trouble the Northern Ireland goalkeeper much

[4] They say the best way to defend is to deny the opposition possession of the ball. This was brought home to me last night. Northern Ireland's players had too heavy a touch so could not retain the ball because space was tight. This is something any serious team needs to really focus on. To do well at the World Cup, you need players with a good first touch

[5] Switzerland's coach pulled off a master strike using the 20-year old Denis Zakaria in central midfield. South Sudanese-born Zakaria was making his debut last night and the Borussia Monchengladbach player regarded as the Swiss Patrick Viera and Paul Pogba was simply brilliant. His class, control, drive, passing and mastering of the midfield made him stand out

[6] Swiss coach Vladimir Petković also pulled off another masterstroke in defence playing the 22 year old Manuel Obafemi Akanji on the left side of the defence in a three-man backline. This was only his third cap but the boy put the horrible British commentators to shame with his comfort on the ball. One can always read into their nasty innuendos about how he would be the weak link, how his "inexperience" would be exploited but unfortunately for them, he did not put a foot wrong in the game

[7] One other big lesson I picked up from this match is that you need players who are comfortable on the ball. All those gra-gra defenders who boot the ball to nowhere, midfielders who are only good at tackling and strikers with a heavy touch are total liabilities at the highest level. I am sure Gernot Rohr would have been watching both games and taking note

[8] Also, if you are old enough, you are good enough. Vladimir Petković made that point last night by playing two inexperienced youngsters in such a high profile competitive game. Akanji performed far bertter than Johan Djourou would have done last night. All those old school coaches who only have confidence in "experienced players" and are too scared to venture into the unknown are liabilities

[9] With Greece, they created most of their own problems with silly mistakes at the back, losing concentration and trying to be too clever in defence. They forgot the meaning of the word Row Z last night. This is something every coach needs to take seriously. Your defenders have to be mentally switched on for 90 minutes. The World Cup is nor for frills or showing off

[10] Coming back to our Eagles, my view that we need two of three players who can deliver 50-yard passes, can keep possession of the ball in tight spaces and can play clever one-twos was only reinforced last night. At the moment, only Mikel can really do that. Gernot Rohr is short of at least two classy players in midfield. I am hoping that Wilfred Ndidi can add this to his game as he looks like the player in the squad with the brightest future. Over the next two matches, Rohr should instruct Ndidi to try a few "Oliseh passes."

I will watch most of today's games and offer further thoughts but I found yesterday very educational.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Can I add that if you take Luca Modric out of the Croatia side, they are 50% weaker. In the main, Croatia are not that much but their playmaker makes them tick. Gernot Rohr, whatever it takes, find us a playmaker for next year please. Unfortunately, Mikel Obi no longer has the legs to perform the role.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Can I add that if you take Luca Modric out of the Croatia side, they are 50% weaker. In the main, Croatia are not that much but their playmaker makes them tick. Gernot Rohr, whatever it takes, find us a playmaker for next year please. Unfortunately, Mikel Obi no longer has the legs to perform the role.
Mikel will have a great World Cup. He ran around for 90 minutes against Zambia in great humidity in Uyo when the going got tough (I was there).

With Croatia, there is a certain Rakitic. Croatia is like Holland. They always have a great generation of talent come through every decade or so, they they disappear for a while. I want no part of Croatia or Serbia from Pot 3. I'd rather take France or Italy over either of these 2 sides.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

truetalk wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Can I add that if you take Luca Modric out of the Croatia side, they are 50% weaker. In the main, Croatia are not that much but their playmaker makes them tick. Gernot Rohr, whatever it takes, find us a playmaker for next year please. Unfortunately, Mikel Obi no longer has the legs to perform the role.
Mikel will have a great World Cup. He ran around for 90 minutes against Zambia in great humidity in Uyo when the going got tough (I was there).

With Croatia, there is a certain Rakitic. Croatia is like Holland. They always have a great generation of talent come through every decade or so, they they disappear for a while. I want no part of Croatia or Serbia from Pot 3. I'd rather take France or Italy over either of these 2 sides.
Did you not see how Rohr took Mikel off to save the poor old man from exhaustion? If you want to know how hard things will be in Russia, did you not notice that Mikel was panting after 60 minutes in Yaounde having played a match three days earlier?

As soon as Rohr took him off, Cameroon took control of the midfield. We lack the depth man, that is a fact!

I am not too bothered about Rakatic abeg. He is not one of those who make Barcelona tick like say Suarez, Messi or Iniesta. Wilfred Ndidi can easily handle him.

Nothing scares me about Croatia or Serbia. This Croatian side is nowhere near as good as their France 98 squad that was brimming with talent from top to bottom. Bring on Croatia or Serbia any day I say.

For me, our only headache is getting two of the following:

Pot A
Germany or Brazil

Pot B
Spain or Italy

One of this quartet would be fine
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Born and raised in Switzerland to parents of South Sudanese and DR Congo descent
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Chidibere Nwakali has ability of delivering 50 yards passes. He was exceptional with such passes during U17 tournaments . I hope he still has those qualities.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

bully12 wrote:Chidibere Nwakali has ability of delivering 50 yards passes. He was exceptional with such passes during U17 tournaments . I hope he still has those qualities.
But it appears he has not worked his way into the team. Did you read this: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/11/09/ma ... raining-2/
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] I was very keen to watch the Swiss and Croatians last night to see how their World Cup preparations compare with ours and those of other African nations and I found both matches very informative

[8] Also, if you are old enough, you are good enough. Vladimir Petković made that point last night by playing two inexperienced youngsters in such a high profile competitive game. Akanji performed far bertter than Johan Djourou would have done last night. All those old school coaches who only have confidence in "experienced players" and are too scared to venture into the unknown are liabilities

I think you have the order reversed hia ...

Wha choo looking at?!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Scipio Africanus wrote:

I think you have the order reversed hia ...

Yep. Corrected.

This Swiss match should shut up all those talking rubbish about the likes of Uzoho, Ebuehie, Nwakali, Aina, Awoniyi, Kayode, Onyekuru, etc not being ready.

To make an impact at the World Cup, we need to start bloodying our youngsters now. Make sure they have around eight caps each before the World Cup starts, so they are ready.

Nigeria has no choice other than to go to Russia 2018 with a young and talented team. The good news is that it will be in place for the next four to eight years.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

I do not agree. I think Perisic is another difference maker for Croatia. He singlehandedly helped Croatia beat Spain in the last Euros. Do not forget Kalinic and Vrlsaljko, and we have not even mentioned Mandzukic. Croatia are a strong team if you forget their somewhat shaky defense.

On edit: How the hell did I forget Rakitic on this team?!?

Wha choo looking at?!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
I do not agree. I think Perisic is another difference maker for Croatia. He singlehandedly helped Croatia beat Spain in the last Euros. Do not forget Kalinic and Vrlsaljko, and we have not even mentioned Mandzukic. Croatia are a strong team if you forget their somewhat shaky defense.

I watched their last two games and am not convinced. Maybe I am comparing them with the great 98 team but this Croatia team looks very beatable to me.

Yes, they have some top players but then hey, so too do Algeria. Has Mahrez or Slimani done anything for Algeria in the World Cup qualifiers?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Scipio Africanus wrote:

See how they huffed and puffed against Turkey for instance:

I do not see Croatia being a major player at this World Cup.
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

:lol: After Ayo's 10 point, I need a siesta :lol:

"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
kastro11
Egg
Egg

Post by kastro11 »

truetalk wrote:I want no part of Croatia or Serbia from Pot 3. I'd rather take France or Italy over either of these 2 sides.
Serbia hardly instills fear anymore. I'm willing to bet they wouldn't have even qualified had it not been for such a weak group (Serbia, Ireland, Wales, Austria, Georgia, Moldova).

Croatia and Serbia are both much more beatable than France. The current Turkish NT is garbage now (saw a few of their qualifiers as my wife is half Turk) and they didn't lose home or away to Croatia. Nigeria and Egypt, currently, are definitely stronger than Turkey. This has no bearing on anything, but anything can happen at the WC.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

kastro11 wrote:
truetalk wrote:I want no part of Croatia or Serbia from Pot 3. I'd rather take France or Italy over either of these 2 sides.
Serbia hardly instills fear anymore. I'm willing to bet they wouldn't have even qualified had it not been for such a weak group (Serbia, Ireland, Wales, Austria, Georgia, Moldova).

Croatia and Serbia are both much more beatable than France. The current Turkish NT is garbage now (saw a few of their qualifiers as my wife is half Turk) and they didn't lose home or away to Croatia. Nigeria and Egypt, currently, are definitely stronger than Turkey. This has no bearing on anything, but anything can happen at the WC.

To be honest, the only countries that the world world needs to avoid are Brazil, Germany and Spain. There is not much difference between all the others.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Greece vs Croatia about to start.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Scipio Africanus wrote:

Are you watching the game? Have you noticed that Croatia do not have the legs as the average age in their team is about 30. They will be one of the oldest teams if not the oldest team at the World Cup.

I do not see them coping with pace. Today they look rather leggy after playing theee days ago.