Confirmed: Nigeria in Pot 4

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Confirmed: Nigeria in Pot 4

Post by truetalk »

With Croatia's convincing win over Greece yesterday.

For us to make it to Pot 3, Greece have to somehow turn it around, Bafana have to beat Senegal twice (an even much tougher ask with Khune's injury) and New Zealand have to qualify.

At the end of the day, we will have to beat good teams to meet our own expectations in Russia , but with Pot 3, we would likely get an Asian country in our group, while in Pot 4, it is most likely we get 2 Europeans and a South America/CONCACAF team.

The Pot 4 teams are:

South Korea
Saudi Arabia
Panama
Morocco/CIV
Australia/Hondouras
Nigeria

If Bafana, Greece & New Zealand make it, we move to Pot 3. If all 3 don't, we remain in Pot 4.

All in all, I think we will have a great world cup. I just hope we avoid Serbia or Croatia from Pot 3.
Last edited by truetalk on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Nigeria most likely in Pot 4

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Pot One
Germany
Brazil
Portugal
Argentina
Belgium
Russia
Poland
France

Pot Two
Spain
England
Mexico
Uruguay
Italy
Switzerland
Colombia
Croatia

Pot Three
Denmark
Costa Rica
Iceland
Iran
Tunisia
Egypt
Senegal
Serbia

Pot Four
Nigeria
Ivory Coast
Japan
South Korea
Saudi Arabia
Panama
Australia
New Zealand

Even if Peru beat New Zealand, this is not going to change. Our ranking was simply too low going into this World Cup to make pots two or three. We are one of the lowest ranked qualifiers.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

It doesn't matter our ranking it's what we can do as a team.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Nigeria in pot 4 will make up the group of death
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

what pot is Ghana?
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

What matters is what you are able to do on the day of the match. At the 2014 World Cup, Nigeria (If I recall correctly) was the lowest ranked team in the group (not sure if we were ahead of Iran or not) but Nigeria still qualified. The reality is that there are teams in Pots 2 and 3 that Nigeria, though lower ranked, can do well against. That FIFA ranking system does not do a very good job in determining current strength of teams.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Enugu II wrote:What matters is what you are able to do on the day of the match. At the 2014 World Cup, Nigeria (If I recall correctly) was the lowest ranked team in the group (not sure if we were ahead of Iran or not) but Nigeria still qualified. The reality is that there are teams in Pot 3 and 4 that Nigeria, though lower ranked, can do well against. That FIFA ranking system does not do a very good job in determining current strength of teams.

Ultimately, yes, it is what happens on the green grass that counts. In 2002, Senegal was the lowest ranked team in their group and took the whole world by storm.

Nothing stops the lowest ranked team from emerging as group winners. I guess we always have some trepidation. However, if you want to win the World Cup, you must be prepared to beat the best.

Going by today's form, only Brazil, Germany and Spain really look scary. Italy is a shadow of its old self and none of the other teams really scare me.

Spain are in pot two. As long as we do not get them along with say Brazil or Germany, we should be fine.

I can for instance see Nigeria topping a group made up of:

Belgium
England
Costa Rica
Nigeria

or

Portugal
Uruguay
Croatia
Nigeria

or

France
Italy
Iran
Nigeria
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Rawlings wrote:what pot is Ghana?
Pot of okro soup... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Enugu II wrote:What matters is what you are able to do on the day of the match. At the 2014 World Cup, Nigeria (If I recall correctly) was the lowest ranked team in the group (not sure if we were ahead of Iran or not) but Nigeria still qualified. The reality is that there are teams in Pot 3 and 4 that Nigeria, though lower ranked, can do well against. That FIFA ranking system does not do a very good job in determining current strength of teams.

Ultimately, yes, it is what happens on the green grass that counts. In 2002, Senegal was the lowest ranked team in their group and took the whole world by storm.

Nothing stops the lowest ranked team from emerging as group winners. I guess we always have some trepidation. However, if you want to win the World Cup, you must be prepared to beat the best.

Going by today's form, only Brazil, Germany and Spain really look scary. Italy is a shadow of its old self and none of the other teams really scare me.

Spain are in pot two. As long as we do not get them along with say Brazil or Germany, we should be fine.

Belgium
England
Costa Rica
Nigeria

or

Portugal
Uruguay
Croatia
Nigeria

or

France
Italy
Iran
Nigeria
That is certainly the key i.e avoiding a team that is favorite to win it all. If you get two of them, you could be dead in the group stage.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Enugu II wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Belgium
England
Costa Rica
Nigeria

or

Portugal
Uruguay
Croatia
Nigeria

or

France
Italy
Iran
Nigeria
That is certainly the key i.e avoiding a team that is favorite to win it all. If you get two of them, you could be dead in the group stage.

We still have some work to do but hopefully with the right decisions made and a bit of luck we will get there. Our biggest challenge now is depth.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Robbynice wrote:
Mods?
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Cooking pot

Wha choo looking at?!
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Cooking pot
Mods, why are you allowing these folks to break forum rules
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Kenkey and pepper pot.

You will activate your Nigerian side come Russia 2018 correct? We value loyalty
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

WC 2002

England
Sweden
Argentina
Nigeria

Argentina with an all-star team did not even survive this group.

Its mathematics, you do not want to have 2 to 3 top tier teams in the same group
Probability of survival is low.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

pajimoh wrote:It doesn't matter our ranking it's what we can do as a team.
you dey mind them, after this WCQ group we enter , i no send anymore..
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
ojafranpa
Egg
Egg

Post by ojafranpa »

Pot kenkey and Peanut butter soup.
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

ojafranpa wrote:
Pot kenkey and Peanut butter soup.
Mods, why are you permitting a clear violation of forum rules?
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Enugu II wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Belgium
England
Costa Rica
Nigeria

or

Portugal
Uruguay
Croatia
Nigeria

or

France
Italy
Iran
Nigeria
So which two teams that are f avourite can be on same group?
SE should be thinking to go there and win it.I dont see any favorite that can't be beat.Nigeria should adopt Leivester style do or die every game final and its 7 games and you can win the first world cup for Africa.Teams like England,Fance,Portugal,Italy are not better than Nigeria,i will say Argentina are beatable even with their cheat,Brazil beatable not godd as people make them to be.Spain and Germany are to me two very good team but still beatable.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

imPOTent..
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Mr Shows wrote:
imPOTent..
Chaiiii..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

This isn't over yet.
The pot 4 teams are:
Japan
Panama
Australia / Honduras
South Korea
Saudi Arabia
Morocco / Cote d'Ivoire

That means if both New Zealand and Greece qualify, Nigeria make pot 3.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Robbynice wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.