My Take on the Draw & the Play (Player Ratings).....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
My Take on the Draw & the Play (Player Ratings).....

Post by Enugu II »

Nigeria ended its World Cup qualifying schedule, again, unbeaten after a 1-1 draw against Algeria in Constantine. It was a game that would be quickly forgotten. It produced very little fireworks and had large stages of unorganized play by both teams. The field was atrocious with the ball bouncing unpredictably and passing by both teams was just as unpredictable.
Coaching Crew -- 5.5 -- This game was poor on both sides. One has to credit the crew because Nigeria qualified and the team finished the qualifiers unbeaten. Both are admirable achievements. However, the team v Algeria played poorly for a large part of the game. If this was a 'friendly' why did the crew not use the opportunity to use up three substitution spots? Why did it take so long to bring in replacements?
Click link for details:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2017/11/n ... ad-to.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: My Take on the Draw & the Play (Player Ratings).....

Post by 1naija »

Did Rohr ever said this was a friendly? What message do you think it would have sent Nwakaeme, Iwobi, and quite frankly other players if they were subbed out at halftime? And like i asked cellular on the other other thread what if he had used up all 3 subs and Exenwa got knocked out after he has exhausted our subs? I support the coach's decision.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Good game by the backups.

Apart from the Goalkeeper blunders, poor pitch and the con artist of a ref. It was a good game.

Ratings
Enzenwa 4
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote:Did Rohr ever said this was a friendly? What message do you think it would have sent Nwakaeme, Iwobi, and quite frankly other players if they were subbed out at halftime? And like i asked cellular on the other other thread what if he had used up all 3 subs and Exenwa got knocked out after he has exhausted our subs? I support the coach's decision.
1naija,

Are you then saying that all substitutes should never be used in case a player is injured in the last minute of the game? Remember, this game is not a game where there is an option of over time.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

Why can't Etebo play the same position for the SE that he played at the Olympics? Playing him as a CM is just a waste. I hope Rohr tries out Iwobi as a playmaker when we play Argentina.
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

I like the way that our players stood up for each other (while maintaining their poise). Your ratings are largely on point, though I would disagree with you on Ogu.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:Did Rohr ever said this was a friendly? What message do you think it would have sent Nwakaeme, Iwobi, and quite frankly other players if they were subbed out at halftime? And like i asked cellular on the other other thread what if he had used up all 3 subs and Exenwa got knocked out after he has exhausted our subs? I support the coach's decision.
1naija,

Are you then saying that all substitutes should never be used in case a player is injured in the last minute of the game? Remember, this game is not a game where there is an option of over time.
I am saying it's wise to reserve a substitute for a goalkeeper. Also, the coahes read the game better than us fans and are in better position to make these decisions. For example, if i could make 5 substitutions as a fan watching the game, i would have substituted Nwakaeme, Ogu, Aina, Etebo, and Iheanacho after the first 15 minutes. As you can see, that would have been an atrocious decision. That's why we must trust the coach's decision.
Last edited by 1naija on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
1naija,

I am saying it's wise to reserve a substitute for a goalkeeper. Also, the coahes read the game better than us fans and are in better position to make these decisions. For example, if i could make 5 substitutes as a fan watching the game, i would have substituted Nwakaeme, Ogu, Aina, Etebo, and Iheanacho after the first 15 minutes. As you can see, that would have been an atrocious decision. That's why we must trust the coach's decision.
1naija,

There is no question that it was Rohr's decision. However, my opinion is that the risk that you put forward is obviously not considered a risk by Rohr. If it was, why would he make three changes in a far more critical game in Yaounde and then in a less important game he becomes so afraid of 'risk' that Ezenwa may be injured? :rotf: Makes little sense, bro.

Seriously, though, the coach bombed in this game by that failure. Lets see if he has enough guts to use 17 players available to him in the Argentina game.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
1naija,

I am saying it's wise to reserve a substitute for a goalkeeper. Also, the coahes read the game better than us fans and are in better position to make these decisions. For example, if i could make 5 substitutes as a fan watching the game, i would have substituted Nwakaeme, Ogu, Aina, Etebo, and Iheanacho after the first 15 minutes. As you can see, that would have been an atrocious decision. That's why we must trust the coach's decision.
1naija,

There is no question that it was Rohr's decision. However, my opinion is that the risk that you put forward is obviously not considered a risk by Rohr. If it was, why would he make three changes in a far more critical game in Yaounde and then in a less important game he becomes so afraid of 'risk' that Ezenwa may be injured? :rotf: Makes little sense, bro.

Seriously, though, the coach bombed in this game by that failure. Lets see if he has enough guts to use 17 players available to him in the Argentina game.
Well if he made 3 substitutions against Cameroon then you should trust he made knew what he was doing in this game.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I don’t know what some people saw in Aina. He was probably one of the worst players we had on the field today.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

deanotito wrote:I don’t know what some people saw in Aina. He was probably one of the worst players we had on the field today.
Okay
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Ezenwa- (6) Flapped too many times, it is clear he is not good enough to be our number one in Russia. Still better than Akpeyi though.

Abdullahi- (7) Played his usual game, could have done a little more in attack though.

Balogun- (7.5) Started very jittery but settled into the game with his usual commanding performance

Troost- (7.5) Very assured at the back

Aina- (7) Did very well defensively taking care of Mahez, and that is no easy job. Still finding his way into the team, but already a much better option at LB than Echiejele.

Ndidi- (7) Covered a lot of ground and broke up attacks. Is our best pure DM by a mile

Etebo- (6) Ran around a lot and covered ground, but added nothing to the attack and gave the ball away far too often. Is clearly not it at AM, not talented or creative enough. To me he is basically a utility player, perhaps a 2 way MF, backup to Onazi. Joel Obi really needs to be looked at.

Ogu- (8) Served me humble pie today. Even beyond his goal he displayed passing range, calmness, and strength in the midfield. Dare I say he was like a poor man's Mikel.

Iwobi- (7) By far our best attacking player. Yes he misplased a few passes,(due to poor pitch) but at times he also displayed his passing range and created to great opportunities even though his final ball was poor, again due to pitch. He was full of running and seems much bigger and stronger than he was before. I still think Rohr needs to try him at AM, I think he can be our second option after Mikel.

Iheanacho- (6) Dissapointing IMO, failed to really assert himself, showed poor touch on occasions and did ok at other times. Slowly is falling down the pecking order.

Nwakaeme- (5.5) Failed to really assert himself or show that he belongs with this team. Was given enough time to stake a claim, and did not do so. Was largely annonymous he also squandered a good opportunity with a weak shot when he could have played through Nacho.

Onyekuru- (NET) was mostly annonymous but for the last 20 minutes he was on the pitch our overall play was very disjointed and scrappy. He did show one move where he shifted beyond a defender and took a dangerous shot on goal which was deflected. Would have like to have seen him introduced earlier. To me showed more potential than Nwaekame.

Musa- (NET) was only on for a few minutes. Again I dont know why Rohr would not give him more time in this dead rubber match.

Rohr- (6.5) Overall dissapointed that Rohr kind of wasted this match. What was the point of giving Musa only a few minutes, and Onyekuru should have been introduced earlier when it was clear than Nwaekame was not cutting it. Also Kayode should have been given a chance. Ogu has now solidified himself as a decent player, Etebo and Nacho dissapointed and fall down the pecking order. As for now there is no doubt that Odion Ighalo is our #1 striker. I would like to see Kayode start vs Argentina.

Against argentina I want to see us lineup like this.

************************************EZENWA*************************************

ABDULLAHI****************TROOST**************BALOGUN************************AINA

*****************************NDIDI******ETEBO*************************************

***********************************MIKEL******************************************

IWOBI*******************************************************************ONYEKURU

***********************************KAYODE****************************************

Even though Ogu did very well, I am hesitant playing both him and Mikel at the same time, especially against a team like Argentina with fast attackers. Two slower players in midfield is not the way to go. I would rather the lungs and running of Etebo to break up Argentine plays and help spark quick counter attacks. Nacho should be a sub at this point, Onyekuru needs to start. Give Uzoho the second half.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

vancity eagle wrote:Ezenwa- (6) Flapped too many times, it is clear he is not good enough to be our number one in Russia. Still better than Akpeyi though.

Abdullahi- (7) Played his usual game, could have done a little more in attack though.

Balogun- (7.5) Started very jittery but settled into the game with his usual commanding performance

Aina- (7) Did very well defensively taking care of Mahez, and that is no easy job. Still finding his way into the team, but already a much better option at LB than Echiejele.

Ndidi- (7) Covered a lot of ground and broke up attacks. Is our best pure DM by a mile

Etebo- (6) Ran around a lot and covered ground, but added nothing to the attack and gave the ball away far too often. Is clearly not it at AM, not talented or creative enough. To me he is basically a utility player, perhaps a 2 way MF, backup to Onazi. Joel Obi really needs to be looked at.

Ogu- (8) Served me humble pie today. Even beyond his goal he displayed passing range, calmness, and strength in the midfield. Dare I say he was like a poor man's Mikel.

Iwobi- (7) By far our best attacking player. Yes he misplased a few passes,(due to poor pitch) but at times he also displayed his passing range and created to great opportunities even though his final ball was poor, again due to pitch. He was full of running and seems much bigger and stronger than he was before. I still think Rohr needs to try him at AM, I think he can be our second option after Mikel.

Iheanacho- (6) Dissapointing IMO, failed to really assert himself, showed poor touch on occasions and did ok at other times. Slowly is falling down the pecking order.

Nwakaeme- (5.5) Failed to really assert himself or show that he belongs with this team. Was given enough time to stake a claim, and did not do so. Was largely annonymous he also squandered a good opportunity with a weak shot when he could have played through Nacho.

Onyekuru- (NET) was mostly annonymous but for the last 20 minutes he was on the pitch our overall play was very disjointed and scrappy. He did show one move where he shifted beyond a defender and took a dangerous shot on goal which was deflected. Would have like to have seen him introduced earlier. To me showed more potential than Nwaekame.

Musa- (NET) was only on for a few minutes. Again I dont know why Rohr would not give him more time in this dead rubber match.

Rohr- (6.5) Overall dissapointed that Rohr kind of wasted this match. What was the point of giving Musa only a few minutes, and Onyekuru should have been introduced earlier when it was clear than Nwaekame was not cutting it. Also Kayode should have been given a chance. Ogu has now solidified himself as a decent player, Etebo and Nacho dissapointed and fall down the pecking order. As for now there is no doubt that Odion Ighalo is our #1 striker. I would like to see Kayode start vs Argentina.

ABDULLAHI****************TROOST**************BALOGUN************************AINA

*****************************NDIDI******ETEBO*************************************

***********************************MIKEL******************************************

IWOBI*******************************************************************ONYEKURU

***********************************KAYODE****************************************

Even though Ogu did very well, I am hesitant playing both him and Mikel at the same time, especially against a team like Argentina with fast attackers. Two slower players in midfield is not the way to go. I would rather the lungs and running of Etebo to break up Argentine plays and help spark quick counter attacks. Nacho should be a sub at this point, Onyekuru needs to start. Give Uzoho the second half.
Your assessment of Iheanacho is spot on.
To stop trying is to start dying
mojojojo
Egg
Egg
Algeria vs Nigeria Player Ratings

Post by mojojojo »

[1] Ezenwa 4/10 We need a better keeper. Terrible ball distribution. Playful demeanor. Lack of overall calmness. I see him being the cause of Se losing a crucial game.

[2] Troost -Ekong 7/10 Good All Round Performance.
[3] Balogun 6/10 Good Performance
[4] Aina 6/10 Nervy but energetic performance.One for the future. We still need Elderson.
[5] Shehu 9/10 Nothing to add. The player was great again.
[6] Etebo 6/10 Struggled in the AM position in the first half blossomed when he moved deeper. This guy is not an AM.
[7] Iwobi 7/10 Struggled to get good service in the first half made a couple of errors with his final passes. As the only wide player, he seemed most likely to create chances.
[8] Anthony 7/10 Struggled in the first half but improved in the second. He improved as the game went on. I see promise.
[9] Ndidi 7/10 Solid performance again. He performed better than Etebo when he moved further forward in the second half.
[10] Ogu 7/10 The usual Ogu performance. Burly and strong with the spectacular goal. Little creativity.
[11] Kelechi 5/10 Poor performance from the most talented player on the pitch.

Subs
[12] Onyekuru 7/10 I have seen enough to want him to start against Argentina.
[13] Musa ???
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Algeria vs Nigeria Player Ratings

Post by Cellular »

mojojojo wrote:[1] Ezenwa 4/10 We need a better keeper. Terrible ball distribution. Playful demeanor. Lack of overall calmness. I see him being the cause of Se losing a crucial game.

[4] Aina 6/10 Nervy but energetic performance.One for the future. We still need Elderson.
[6] Etebo 6/10 Struggled in the AM position in the first half blossomed when he moved deeper. This guy is not an AM.
[7] Iwobi 7/10 Struggled to get good service in the first half made a couple of errors with his final passes. As the only wide player, he seemed most likely to create chances.
[8] Anthony 7/10 Struggled in the first half but improved in the second. He improved as the game went on. I see promise.
[9] Ndidi 7/10 Solid performance again. He performed better than Etebo when he moved further forward in the second half.
[10] Ogu 7/10 The usual Ogu performance. Burly and strong with the spectacular goal. Little creativity.

Subs
[13] Musa ???
Will give both Iwobi and Iheanacho the same 5/10.
Onyekuru will get a 6/10.
Aina will get a 7/10.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
mojojojo
Egg
Egg
Re: Algeria vs Nigeria Player Ratings

Post by mojojojo »

Cellular wrote:
mojojojo wrote:[1] Ezenwa 4/10 We need a better keeper. Terrible ball distribution. Playful demeanor. Lack of overall calmness. I see him being the cause of Se losing a crucial game.

Subs
[13] Musa ???
Will give both Iwobi and Iheanacho the same 5/10.
Onyekuru will get a 6/10.
Aina will get a 7/10.

Based on their performances, what will be your starting line up against Argentina
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

KOC ratings

http://kwese.espn.com/football/blog/foo ... er-ratings

5 Ikechukwu Ezenwa: The goalkeeper played with confidence and passed comfortably out from the back, but he didn't have any real saves to make. However, his handling was dodgy from crosses, and he was fortunate not to give two goals away.

9 Abdullahi Shehu: The stand-out player for the second game in a row, Shehu shutout the dangerous Yacine Brahimi, and while he did not bomb forward as usual, he still did enough to support Alex Iwobi in front of him.

7 Leon Balogun: The defender was caught out for pace on at least two occasions, but we all know he is not the quickest. However, he did have enough in the tank to twice make the saving tackle and bail Nigeria out.

7 William Troost-Ekong: Complemented Balogun superbly, and was up for the foot race to cover for the other half of the Oyinbo Wall. He also drove forward to join the attack.

8 Ola Aina: Another impressive game for the youngster in only his second international. He put Riyad Mahrez in his pocket, staying disciplined, aware and refusing to be tempted to commit early. Mahrez's early substitution was surely partly due to Aina's excellent mastering of the Leicester City wideman.

9 John Ogu provided a tidy, nerveless screen for the back four, ventured forward when he had to and came up with a neatly struck volley to put Nigeria in front. A few late tackles almost cost him, but he gets the Man of the Match vote for that goal and his all-round competent midfield display.

8 Wilfred Ndidi combined well with Ogu to break up play, but his showing was undermined by too much errant passing. It's hard not to blame the pitch though.

7 Oghenekaro Etebo was almost non-existent for all of the first half, but emerged reborn in the second. He planted himself into tackles and chased down lost causes. Could he have done more to support Tony Nwakaeme?

6 Alex Iwobi: It wasn't his best game by a long shot, as even he would agree. However, it was mostly down to the pitch. He did everything right, but on at least two occasions, his finishing let him down.

6 Kelechi Iheanacho doesn't have the best of first touches on a good day, and on a pitch this bad, this failing was even more brutally enhanced. He did deliver one good free kick, and had two others on target.

6 Tony Nwakaeme: It wasn't the best of debuts for the Israel-based hitman. He was isolated and double-teamed upfront for most of the time he spent on the pitch, and was ultimately forced to drop wide and then deep to forage. He had two half chances before being substituted, but hit both at the keeper. With better support, he could be a good asset for the Super Eagles.

Substitutes

5 Henry Onyekuru came on for Nwakaeme, and almost scored with his first real effort on the ball by beating his man and cutting inside before his effort was deflected out for a corner. The wideman at least showed desire and energy, but competition in his position remains fierce.

N/A: Ahmed Musa
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
1naija,

I am saying it's wise to reserve a substitute for a goalkeeper. Also, the coahes read the game better than us fans and are in better position to make these decisions. For example, if i could make 5 substitutions as a fan watching the game, i would have substituted Nwakaeme, Ogu, Aina, Etebo, and Iheanacho after the first 15 minutes. As you can see, that would have been an atrocious decision. That's why we must trust the coach's decision.
The coach has not proven to read the game better than fans.

Go back to some match threads... Fans were calling for subs before he made the subs.

He is not good at timing his subs.
The coach is not an infallible entity.

What use is it to take a sub home in a, wait for it, a Dead Rubber match...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

vancity eagle wrote:Ezenwa- (6) Flapped too many times, it is clear he is not good enough to be our number one in Russia. Still better than Akpeyi though.

Wow! Can't believe I am agreeing with Vancity Eagle.

Very fair rating.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:
Nigeria ended its World Cup qualifying schedule, again, unbeaten after a 1-1 draw against Algeria in Constantine. It was a game that would be quickly forgotten. It produced very little fireworks and had large stages of unorganized play by both teams. The field was atrocious with the ball bouncing unpredictably and passing by both teams was just as unpredictable.
Coaching Crew -- 5.5 -- This game was poor on both sides. One has to credit the crew because Nigeria qualified and the team finished the qualifiers unbeaten. Both are admirable achievements. However, the team v Algeria played poorly for a large part of the game. If this was a 'friendly' why did the crew not use the opportunity to use up three substitution spots? Why did it take so long to bring in replacements?
Click link for details:

Prof, I disagree with your rating of Ogu, Ndidi and Iheanacho.
Wilfred Ndidi (13) -- 7.0 -- Ndidi was all over the field in the opening half and I had him rated 7.5 but that fell off in the second half. However, it was clear that he was head and shoulders above the other midfielders. This guy recovers the ball more than anyone else on Nigeria's team. However, he also has a tendency to turn the ball over.
Ogu should have been the one with 7.0. Iheanacho with the 6.0 and Ndidi with the 6.2.

I tracked every pass, interception and fouls plus misplaced passes and Ogu scored higher than Ndidi especially in the first half. Then adding the well taken goal should have him grade higher than Ndidi.

That being said, remind me not to take any of your classes... kai, you are a harsh grader. :P
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Click link for details:

Prof, I disagree with your rating of Ogu, Ndidi and Iheanacho.
Wilfred Ndidi (13) -- 7.0 -- Ndidi was all over the field in the opening half and I had him rated 7.5 but that fell off in the second half. However, it was clear that he was head and shoulders above the other midfielders. This guy recovers the ball more than anyone else on Nigeria's team. However, he also has a tendency to turn the ball over.
Ogu should have been the one with 7.0. Iheanacho with the 6.0 and Ndidi with the 6.2.

I tracked every pass, interception and fouls plus misplaced passes and Ogu scored higher than Ndidi especially in the first half. Then adding the well taken goal should have him grade higher than Ndidi.

That being said, remind me not to take any of your classes... kai, you are a harsh grader. :P
Cell

Unfortunately, I did not track those. As my notes indicated, I looked at the range covered by them and tendency for turnovers. No doubt Ndidi turns the ball over a lot but his range is admirable. As for Ogu, his range is limited from my observation but he did well in ball recovery. Perhaps, his goal deserves a higher rating.

On rating, my scores do not disperse a lot. A 6.0 simply means good game. A 7.0 indicates a very good game. Rarely gives a 10 which to mean indicates absence of mistakes.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote:On rating, my scores do not disperse a lot. A 6.0 simply means good game. A 7.0 indicates a very good game. Rarely gives a 10 which to mean indicates absence of mistakes.
Surely 6 would be average; 7 a good game; 8 plus a really good game. 5 and below then below average to poor. And should a score of 10 mean an absence of mistakes? A player scores a hat trick and has two assists but completes 90% of his passes - you won't give him 10?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Ezenwa deserves a 3 we could had conceded 3 goals in the second half because of him. Balogun deserves 5/6 he was the 2nd worse player. We could had conceded 2/3 because of his performance early in the game. Also, his very uncomfortable with the ball therefore, lost the ball multiple times. I hope Ahmed Musa starts against Argentina. He always plays exceptional against them