One of the downfalls of African teams

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: One of the downfalls of African teams

Post by txj »

Bell wrote:
txj wrote:
Bell wrote:
txj wrote:
Bell wrote:highbury, WITH ALL RESPECT, I'D POINT OUT THAT YOUR...

...argument has the flaw others have pointed out, namely that the majority of the players from African countries that qualify for the WC play outside Africa. Nigeria has Aina, Obi, Iwobi, Moses, Ekong, Balogun, Ikeme, etc. who either learned the game outside Africa but played outside at an early stage. Your point that there were some questionable calls in the Algeria-Nigeria match is well taken. Abdullahi deserved a yellow card for confronting the Algerian, who deserved a red card for head butting. As for the penalty, while I disagree with it (I disagree with 85% of penalties awarded) I have seen worse. In Europe.

African referees (most notably Nigerian) are typically absent in WC tournaments and I think an institute to train them should be established somewhere in Africa. The present situation is totally unacceptable.
Bell
But it so happens that he is talking about African refs, not African players in Europe....

In otherwords, you agree with him...
YES, BECAUSE...

...he linked poor officiating to the style adopted by African players.

I'm totally in agreement that African referees (unfortunately like many things in Africa) can use major training to increase their knowledge, confidence and game management.
Bell
Because players play to what they can get away with, and then some get used to it and expect it to seamlessly translate to other levels, and then get caught out!

In this sense, the difference between African and English players is, the latter know when they are not in England! At least some of them... :biggrin:
I'LL HAVE TO DISAGREE IN THAT...

...it's not that easy for players to change playing styles like a light switch. Would require too much thinking and wouldn't look natural.
Bell

Players do ALL the time...Its often the unintelligent ones that struggle
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

txj wrote:
Bell wrote:
txj wrote:
Bell wrote:highbury, WITH ALL RESPECT, I'D POINT OUT THAT YOUR...

...argument has the flaw others have pointed out, namely that the majority of the players from African countries that qualify for the WC play outside Africa. Nigeria has Aina, Obi, Iwobi, Moses, Ekong, Balogun, Ikeme, etc. who either learned the game outside Africa but played outside at an early stage. Your point that there were some questionable calls in the Algeria-Nigeria match is well taken. Abdullahi deserved a yellow card for confronting the Algerian, who deserved a red card for head butting. As for the penalty, while I disagree with it (I disagree with 85% of penalties awarded) I have seen worse. In Europe.

African referees (most notably Nigerian) are typically absent in WC tournaments and I think an institute to train them should be established somewhere in Africa. The present situation is totally unacceptable.
Bell
But it so happens that he is talking about African refs, not African players in Europe....

In otherwords, you agree with him...
YES, BECAUSE...

...he linked poor officiating to the style adopted by African players.

I'm totally in agreement that African referees (unfortunately like many things in Africa) can use major training to increase their knowledge, confidence and game management.
Bell
Because players play to what they can get away with, and then some get used to it and expect it to seamlessly translate to other levels, and then get caught out!

In this sense, the difference between African and English players is, the latter know when they are not in England! At least some of them... :biggrin:
certain levels of stupidity cannot be accorded the underserved honor of dialogue; the only befitting response would be violence. According to you African players are incapable making simple judgement. The real truth here is that you are projecting your ignorant mindset onto someone else. Just name one single African player or incident to support your flawed assertion.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

highbury wrote:
jette1 wrote:
highbury wrote:
ogasir wrote:What the hell is a "world standard"? Do you know if Asian, South American, Central American refs are any better?
Dude, lets be serious. One example, a slide tackle which could hurt an opponent is waved on as African physical play. But in the World Cup, that is an automatic yellow or a stern warning if your lucky. That hurts African teams. They can't change their mind set when they transit outside the African stage. African football rewards " physical" play. Not the World Cup. Why has Cameroon struggled to win a game since 1994? Why has Cameroon failed not to receive a red card in at least 1 game in their World Cup or Confederation Cup since 1994? Yet they do decently well in Africa.
look here! highbrewery or whatever you call yourself you are simply talking nonsense. Lets begin with the fact that most of the players in your so called African teams that are going to world cup don't even play in Africa. so that alone renders your verbage a garbage. you sound so stupid that I rather punch your face than waste my time replying.
Child, calm down!!! You are showing to me that you can't be more than 18yrs of age maximum. I am assuming that is your real age. I am making absolute sense. The problem is that you seem incapable of comprehending any sense. Rather than making your point, you insult then attempt at making a point. Discuss on the merit rather than resorting to insults. Kids do that, not adults. Trust me, I can mess you up with insults if you want to go that route. Most African players have played in Africa. Duh! They play alot of competition in Africa...
the only thing you could mess up is a plate full of pounded yam so just go ahead and swallow that your assertion is a fiasco.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The aspect of the African game that needs to be enhanced is not technique, set pieces, or tactical awareness, but gamesmanship.

We have to start seeing arguing with, and surrounding the referee as part of a team's "tactics" in the way that pressing or short/long passing is. Do we really think it is coincidence that any time a Barcelona or Spain player was touched during their heyday, all the other players (usually led by Xavi, Alves, Valdes, and Busquets) surround and harass the referee to make the challenge look really worse than it was and to pressure the referee into getting his cards out. The reason why the whole team does it is because it is a deliberate team tactic/instruction from the coach. Why do we think so many players were sent off against Barca in crucial games?

Even at the amateur level I played at, our coach always told us to "appeal" to the referee as it builds a torrent of pressure on the referee and stops him for giving bad calls against your team. Barcelona, Spain, Juventus, Brazil all engage in this imaginary card waving etc.