Can someone tell Naija players...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Can someone tell Naija players...

Post by anointed »

...to fall down and roll on the pitch like someone that has been shot anytime we are on the receiving end of off-ball-incidents like the head butt of yesterday. It cost us dearly against France in Brazil.

I still expect some repercussions from FIFA/CAF on that ref. For crying out loud, there was a headbutting incident that he penalized with a yellow.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
akamoke
Re: Can someone tell Naija players...

Post by akamoke »

anointed wrote:...to fall down and roll on the pitch like someone that has been shot anytime we are on the receiving end of off-ball-incidents like the head butt of yesterday. It cost us dearly against France in Brazil.

I still expect some repercussions from FIFA/CAF on that ref. For crying out loud, there was a headbutting incident that he penalized with a yellow.
Strange as it seems, I actually commend the Nigerian teams for showing fair play, they just want to get on with it, and in the long run it will be rewarding

All these falling around, diving etc, is actually off putting and may actually affect the game in the long run, its only a matter of time before people get sick of it all over and something will have to be done to curtail it

This is one area where sports like Rugby is decent, that together with replays, retroactive discipline and requiring only the Captain to question referee
decisons

I know some will argue that where has fair play got us, well I believe in Karma eventually
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

From the TV pictures, it doesn't look like the 'headbutt' actually connected.
Definitely not with the head and it looked like it was headed for Shehu's shoulder.
So technically, was it a headbutt?

The intent was probably there but execution was poor.
I think that's the reason it didn't get a dramatic reaction from Shehu and also why it drew only a yellow card.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Damunk wrote:From the TV pictures, it doesn't look like the 'headbutt' actually connected.
Definitely not with the head and it looked like it was headed for Shehu's shoulder.

I think that's the reason it didn't get a dramatic reaction from Shehu and also why it drew only a yellow card.
Kaita didn't connect as well against the Greek.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

akamoke wrote:
anointed wrote:...to fall down and roll on the pitch like someone that has been shot anytime we are on the receiving end of off-ball-incidents like the head butt of yesterday. It cost us dearly against France in Brazil.

Strange as it seems, I actually commend the Nigerian teams for showing fair play, they just want to get on with it, and in the long run it will be rewarding

All these falling around, diving etc, is actually off putting and may actually affect the game in the long run, its only a matter of time before people get sick of it all over and something will have to be done to curtail it

This is one area where sports like Rugby is decent, that together with replays, retroactive discipline and requiring only the Captain to question referee
decisons

I know some will argue that where has fair play got us, well I believe in Karma eventually
Not talking of diving. Mikel was elbowed by Giroud but he stood like Olumo rock and Osaze was vehemently pulled by Evra in the penalty box and he refused to down. Likewise Yekini vs Maldini though eventually he went down. If roles were reversed, what do you think would have happened? How much did Kaita do that he got a ref card?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Damunk wrote:From the TV pictures, it doesn't look like the 'headbutt' actually connected.

Intent is to be punished as well according to FIFA rule. I recall in the height of Man Utd/Arsenal wars Waffi made made case for Vieira cos his kick didn't connect with RVN but the Law is clear on this.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

We are too "diplomatic" honestly, if there's one thing I love about South American teams, it's the fact that they take very good advantage of situations like this... they go into full mode theatrics, even the bullshit penalty that ref gave, he would have been crowded out and intimidated by a South American team to rescind the decision, they know when not to play the gentleman's game.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

COULDN'T DISAGREE MORE

Someday, I'd like Nigerian teams in all sports to adopt a philosophy that emphasizes fair play, honesty and friendliness. Let the rest of the world have their cheating antics and let Nigeria stand out for bringing high ethics to the game. Don't read this to mean that gamesmanship such as substituting to disrupt an opponent's rhythm or taking your time to restart play cannot be practiced.
Bell