Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 73867
Location: Earth
Kai what a player. What a sweet left foot, and what a goal..Now this guy was immersed yesterday took no prisoner and was able to dictate play, break up play and should have been used vs Zambia as well...the midfield competition in the SE is at the best we've had in years...so glad he wears the green white green...

_________________
SuperEagles

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Posts: 53041
Location: United Kingdom
Now count how many free kicks he gave away in dangerous areas. Then ask yourself what will happen if we were playing against Lionel Messi with that kind of statistic.

_________________
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Posts: 15881
Ogu has a sublime left foot no doubt
But other aspects of his game leave a lot to be desired :
- His tackling /timing was quite bad
- I don't know if it was due to yellow card or fatigue but at some point he seemed to withdraw himself from the midfield battle and didn't impose himself at all. Was as though we only had ndidi and etebo playing midfield
- His passing was quite poor especially in the first half although this may have been due to the disgraceful pitch
Overall I wouldnt complain too loudly of ogu makes the squad.
But i don't think he has any place in our first team


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 73867
Location: Earth
I have watched the game twice and I have no clue what yall watched

_________________
SuperEagles

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:57 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 41272
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Now count how many free kicks he gave away in dangerous areas. Then ask yourself what will happen if we were playing against Lionel Messi with that kind of statistic.


Why are you such a dishonest guy?

Tell me how many fouls he gave away?

You can't!

Going from thread to thread trying to discredit his performance.

Surprised you actually watched the match. Your typical MO is to comment and analyze a match you didn't watch.

Ogu was one of the few who handled the poor pitch rather well. His passes were on point. He was putting in tackles and winning them. He was also a physical presence in our midfield.


BTW, you either need to upgrade your TV or your glasses.

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:58 pm
Posts: 3935
Location: Giditown
Cellular baba, taking no prisoners. Just like Ogu last night.

_________________
Manchester United: Trophies Yesterday, Today and Forever

This is Cybereagles...expect anything.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:22 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 41272
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
oluphemmie007 wrote:
Cellular baba, taking no prisoners. Just like Ogu last night.


Bros, I just don't like dishonest people who have an agenda. I don watch the match again without the matchday tension.
The pitch was atrocious. It made our usual good passers poor. Iwobi and Iheanacho had they been fringe players would have been labelled bad players. For some reason because of the height similarities between Ogu and Ndidi and the choice of boots they wore, the commentator would mistake them for one another. Even after watching it again, the only player I can categorically say that does not belong is our goalie. His errors are not due to the pitch. He is just NOT good enough. His decision making is AWFUL. He engages in too much theatrics. I still thought our coach does not handle subs well despite the recent subs making an impact... his timing of subs needs serious work.

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:42 pm
Posts: 6116
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Now count how many free kicks he gave away in dangerous areas. Then ask yourself what will happen if we were playing against Lionel Messi with that kind of statistic.


Fine, he gave away freekicks ; who would you rather have mikel agu? Who gave away possession .

Ogu was disciplined and made his passes simple , and his physical play will come in handy against South African in the nations cup qualifiers. His long range shooting is very handy to our game.

Mikel with Ndidi and agu will be great combo.


Last edited by osita on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Posts: 15881
i don't know why we Nigerians have this tendency to attribute differences of opinion to people having an "agenda"
to me it shows a lack of class
such a primitive and illiterate way of debating
if you think Ogu was that great, just give your reasons and let those with open minds consider them


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:00 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 41272
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
smartbrother wrote:
i don't know why we Nigerians have this tendency to attribute differences of opinion to people having an "agenda"
to me it shows a lack of class
such a primitive and illiterate way of debating
if you think Ogu was that great, just give your reasons and let those with open minds consider them


Yeah, it is lack of class.

Especially when you don't understand what having an agenda means. Ayo has been here since inception. He doesn't hide his agenda.
He has always advocated for a foreign coach, that's having an agenda.
He has always been a fan of 3-5-2, that's an agenda.
He likes certain types of players, that's an agenda.
He prefers foreign-based if not foreign-born players to local ones, that's an agenda.
He prefers playing attractive football over winning, that's an agenda.
He does not mind introducing new players after qualification, that's an agenda.
He does not give a toss about team chemistry, that's an agenda.
He likes what he likes and doesn't care if it is popular or not, that's an agenda.

But I can see with your extreme intellect and great reasoning capacity why you will not be able to tell what having an agenda means. :?

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am
Posts: 586
Ogu exemplifies the attributes of a disciplined player who keeps it neat and simple... the era of modern football has gone pass aimless dribbling and fancy Okochaesque footworks with no end product(rather than make a simple pass when necessary and shoot when necessary), in view of these facts, I believe we have a good midfield in Mikel Obi, Ndidi, Onazi, Ogu, Aguilera, Iwobi, and Etebo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:59 pm
Posts: 4343
Location: uk
Tobi17 wrote:
Ogu exemplifies the attributes of a disciplined player who keeps it neat and simple... the era of modern football has gone pass aimless dribbling and fancy Okochaesque footworks with no end product(rather than make a simple pass when necessary and shoot when necessary), in view of these facts, I believe we have a good midfield in Mikel Obi, Ndidi, Onazi, Ogu, Aguilera, Iwobi, and Etebo.


God bless you abundantly for this.

_________________
yes o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Posts: 15881
Cellular wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
i don't know why we Nigerians have this tendency to attribute differences of opinion to people having an "agenda"
to me it shows a lack of class
such a primitive and illiterate way of debating
if you think Ogu was that great, just give your reasons and let those with open minds consider them


Yeah, it is lack of class.

Especially when you don't understand what having an agenda means. Ayo has been here since inception. He doesn't hide his agenda.
He has always advocated for a foreign coach, that's having an agenda.
He has always been a fan of 3-5-2, that's an agenda.
He likes certain types of players, that's an agenda.
He prefers foreign-based if not foreign-born players to local ones, that's an agenda.
He prefers playing attractive football over winning, that's an agenda.
He does not mind introducing new players after qualification, that's an agenda.
He does not give a toss about team chemistry, that's an agenda.
He likes what he likes and doesn't care if it is popular or not, that's an agenda.

But I can see with your extreme intellect and great reasoning capacity why you will not be able to tell what having an agenda means. :?


You seem obsessed with Ayo.
The energy wasted on attacking him and his so-called "agenda" might be put to better use putting forward your own views (on Ogu and other players)
and letting those with open minds decide for themselves
One doesnt need extreme intellect or great reasoning capacity to understand this


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:27 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 41272
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
smartbrother wrote:
Cellular wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
i don't know why we Nigerians have this tendency to attribute differences of opinion to people having an "agenda"
to me it shows a lack of class
such a primitive and illiterate way of debating
if you think Ogu was that great, just give your reasons and let those with open minds consider them


Yeah, it is lack of class.

Especially when you don't understand what having an agenda means. Ayo has been here since inception. He doesn't hide his agenda.
He has always advocated for a foreign coach, that's having an agenda.
He has always been a fan of 3-5-2, that's an agenda.
He likes certain types of players, that's an agenda.
He prefers foreign-based if not foreign-born players to local ones, that's an agenda.
He prefers playing attractive football over winning, that's an agenda.
He does not mind introducing new players after qualification, that's an agenda.
He does not give a toss about team chemistry, that's an agenda.
He likes what he likes and doesn't care if it is popular or not, that's an agenda.

But I can see with your extreme intellect and great reasoning capacity why you will not be able to tell what having an agenda means. :?


You seem obsessed with Ayo.
The energy wasted on attacking him and his so-called "agenda" might be put to better use putting forward your own views (on Ogu and other players)
and letting those with open minds decide for themselves
One doesnt need extreme intellect or great reasoning capacity to understand this


Unfortunately, there is no thread I can go without seeing Ayo's posts. You can't escape his posts.
The man thrives on making controversial statements. He loves the use of hyperbole to drive in his statements...

His philosophy about the game, how it should be played or administered differs from mine.
So that is why it appears like I am attacking him. I am attacking his philosophy of the game... not him.

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Posts: 15881
Tobi17 wrote:
Ogu exemplifies the attributes of a disciplined player who keeps it neat and simple... the era of modern football has gone pass aimless dribbling and fancy Okochaesque footworks with no end product(rather than make a simple pass when necessary and shoot when necessary), in view of these facts, I believe we have a good midfield in Mikel Obi, Ndidi, Onazi, Ogu, Aguilera, Iwobi, and Etebo.


I do agree with that point.
Regarding Ogu,...Well maybe i need to re-watch the game
Some players contribute in a very subtle way.Maybe Ogu is one of those

When i see giants like Ogu and Ndidi in the starting 11 i expect us to dominate the opposition in midfield
I noted many occasions in which Ndidi dispossessed the algerians. Etebo was very active too.
Ogu on the other hand seemed to disappear especially in the second half (other than the brilliant goal)
In the first half he imposed himself but what stood out for me were some terrible passes which went out of play and poor mistimed tackles one of which earned him a yellow

If not for the goal i would have given him a 3/10 based on first viewing
In light of the goal i'd give him a 5/10


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:58 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 34300
Location: UK
Tobi17 wrote:
Ogu exemplifies the attributes of a disciplined player who keeps it neat and simple... the era of modern football has gone pass aimless dribbling and fancy Okochaesque footworks with no end product(rather than make a simple pass when necessary and shoot when necessary), in view of these facts, I believe we have a good midfield in Mikel Obi, Ndidi, Onazi, Ogu, Aguilera, Iwobi, and Etebo.
:woot:

_________________
"Ole ni gbogbo won"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 73867
Location: Earth
Christina Aguilera?

_________________
SuperEagles

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:56 am
Posts: 9026
Location: southeast, DC
Image

Image

_________________
Image
“Achebe was a writer in whose company the Prison walls fell down.” – Dr. Nelson Mandela.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:49 pm
Posts: 39075
Location: on the move
For me, this player, John Ogu, has improved and i was impressed with his overall contribution (and I’m not even talking about the goal). His positioning, use of his physique, passing (though not helped by the pitch) and overall discipline were commendable yesterday. Definitely going to the WC.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 12221
Location: USA
Playing with John Ogu is likely to expose the team to more than its fair share of opposition free kicks. His major problem is that he is slow and tries to mark much quicker people, so he is cut out and leaves his leg trailing, and inevitably tripping people. The goal was sweet, but were it up to me, back to bench ...use only when necessary

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 33453
Location: Land of the Terrapins
Ogu na my person, but only after that goal, before the goal I dey halls am!

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:03 pm
Posts: 224
smartbrother wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
Ogu exemplifies the attributes of a disciplined player who keeps it neat and simple... the era of modern football has gone pass aimless dribbling and fancy Okochaesque footworks with no end product(rather than make a simple pass when necessary and shoot when necessary), in view of these facts, I believe we have a good midfield in Mikel Obi, Ndidi, Onazi, Ogu, Aguilera, Iwobi, and Etebo.


I do agree with that point.
Regarding Ogu,...Well maybe i need to re-watch the game
Some players contribute in a very subtle way.Maybe Ogu is one of those

When i see giants like Ogu and Ndidi in the starting 11 i expect us to dominate the opposition in midfield
I noted many occasions in which Ndidi dispossessed the algerians. Etebo was very active too.
Ogu on the other hand seemed to disappear especially in the second half (other than the brilliant goal)
In the first half he imposed himself but what stood out for me were some terrible passes which went out of play and poor mistimed tackles one of which earned him a yellow

If not for the goal i would have given him a 3/10 based on first viewing
In light of the goal i'd give him a 5/10


For me, on the night Ogu was our best player. Second was Ndidi. I think that in our assessments, we often put undue emphasis on what is done with the ball and less on what is done when not with the ball. Football has much advanced beyond this. For a midfield, tracking, closing space, reading the manoeuvres of the opposing team and discipline are becoming increasing vital as the game at the highest level is becoming more of a chess game (and this is where many Sub Saharan African teams come up short even though they have players with outstanding skills). Our best unit on the day was the defensive mid. Etebo also started to put in a good shift towards the second part of the 2nd half. The Algerians were shut out in this area and were left with the wings as an only option. Shehu and Aina did very well in coping here. Our biggest obstacle was the pitch, but the players started to get better used to it midway the 2nd half. Not very impressive were Nwakaeme (he seemed nervous at the start) and Ezenwa. Iheanacho, Iwobi and Balogun particularly struggled with the pitch.

In my view it was clear Ogu was putting up a stellar performance. It was his day. And when that ball fell to him, I instinctively knew he would bury it. He did.

I think the midfield squad is more or less settled; Mikel, Onazi, Ndidi, Etebo, Ogu and Agu.. Perhaps Joel Obi should be tried, but he'll need to be exceptional to displace any of the 6. My best 3 combo for a start would be Ndidi, Ogu and Mikel (Mikel for 60-70 mins).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Ogu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 12577
As much as I liked his game yesterday I don't think we should ever play him and Mikel together, especially against fast teams. 2 midfielders who are too similar and too slow. In this squad he would he a direct replacement for Mikel. I am also mot convinced Raheem Lawal cannot do what Ogu does but better.

Iwobi really needs to be tried at AM. He is our best bet to backup Mikel.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ayo Akinfe, Bing [Bot], Cally, Google [Bot], ikeo, Pounded Yam and 37 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group