Nigeria is the most consistent team in Africa...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria is the most consistent team in Africa...

Post by Tbite »

I said it on here about 4 or 5 years ago. Maybe even longer.

The only thing that cast doubt into that declaration was when we failed to qualify for the ANC 3 times of late.

but in the Long run, Nigeria is the most consistent Football team in Africa.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

True but our AFCON win record is not that great.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

felarey wrote:True but our AFCON win record is not that great.
Agreed but winning it on our last appearance has made up for the many Bronze outcomes,all we have to do now is qualify more regularly again which became easier now that CAF has all the sudden increased the tournaments number of participants!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

felarey wrote:True but our AFCON win record is not that great.
When you get to the semis of a tournament, anything can happen. At that point, it truly is the luck of the draw. UNLESS you have a truly transcendent team. To have got to as many semis as we have is the real note there.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Discussed on a prior thread here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=230832&hilit=consistent

In their last 17 AFCONS this is Nigeria's record:

*16 quarter-finals (i.e. they get to the QF nearly 95% of the time).
*14 times they have finished in the top 3 places (i.e top three 82% of the time).
*7 times they have been in the final.
*They have not failed to qualify for the quarter-finals for over 30 years.

This is some amazing stuff. Reading previous posts on this forum, one would be tempted to think that Nigeria has the footballing record and pedigree of Madagascar.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Robbynice wrote:Re: Nigeria is the most consistent team in Africa...

You forgot to send the memo to FIFA.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Cellular wrote:

If Arsenal can win finance trophies, why can't Nigeria win consistency trophies?
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Cellular wrote:

you would expect nothing less but made up 'victories' from an arsenal and redskins fan.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

vancity eagle wrote:They are the best team in Africa. I told you this back when we failed to qualify for ANC 2017.

I said we were the best in Africa then, and we proved it by making quick work of easily the toughest group in qualifying beating out current champions Cameroon, WC round of 16 qualifier ALgeria, and former champ Zambia.

Our problem was that Keshi, Oliseh, and SSS conspired to hold us back, but Rohr steadied the ship and the rest is history.

It seems that we can never really use our Nigerian brothers to pick atleast on merit 30 % of players.

Once we have a white coach they then to pick at on merit 70% of our players.

Keshi had the chance, but his selection was so wrong it was frustrating whether he was doing this on purpose or for money.
Am happy for once that we qualified and our players seem so humble and less troubles with money. Thank God.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

osita wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:They are the best team in Africa. I told you this back when we failed to qualify for ANC 2017.

I said we were the best in Africa then, and we proved it by making quick work of easily the toughest group in qualifying beating out current champions Cameroon, WC round of 16 qualifier ALgeria, and former champ Zambia.

Our problem was that Keshi, Oliseh, and SSS conspired to hold us back, but Rohr steadied the ship and the rest is history.

It seems that we can never really use our Nigerian brothers to pick atleast on merit 30 % of players.

Keshi had the chance, but his selection was so wrong it was frustrating whether he was doing this on purpose or for money.
Am happy for once that we qualified and our players seem so humble and less troubles with money. Thank God.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

Not lost a world cup qualifier since Angola for the 2006 world cup.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

pajimoh wrote:The bredas are the most consistent abegi

35 years and no sign of waning
:lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

osita wrote:

Huh. Rohr hasn't done anything Keshi hasn't. Keshi qualified Nigeria for the world cup unbeaten just like Rohr. In fact Keshi's record with the SE (WCQ and round 16, plus AFCON win) is part of the consistency that Robbynice is talking about. As far as I know Rohr hasn't won us the AFCON and has yet to coach us in the world cup proper.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Metho scorpion
Egg
Egg

Post by Metho scorpion »

pajimoh wrote:The bredas are the most consistent abegi

35 years and no sign of waning
...the best among postings of the year 2017...
...Ghana go hear... when FIFA 2018 knocks on the door...
...well Ghana, the Brazil of Africa won WAFU already...
...pajimoh you are the one with the bomb to scatter the short ones...
...he dey sweet o o o... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

theYemster wrote:
osita wrote:

Huh. Rohr hasn't done anything Keshi hasn't. Keshi qualified Nigeria for the world cup unbeaten just like Rohr. In fact Keshi's record with the SE (WCQ and round 16, plus AFCON win) is part of the consistency that Robbynice is talking about. As far as I know Rohr hasn't won us the AFCON and has yet to coach us in the world cup proper.
TheYemster,

Are you sure that is part of the consistency mentioned here or part of AFCON winning mentioned?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Robby,
I agree but consistent against African teams. Now, the next target of consistency should be tested against the rest of the world.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Enugu II wrote:
theYemster wrote:
osita wrote:

TheYemster,

Are you sure that is part of the consistency mentioned here or part of AFCON winning mentioned?
Maybe we should let Babs answer. But as far as I know as of now Rohr hasn't accomplished anything Keshi didn't. He may in future surpass Keshi but as of now he hasn't. So the dig at Keshi was unnecessary. And yes, Keshi's WC record contributes to the SE's consistency over the past decade.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

Hold your horses! Time will tell.
platinum wrote: Am happy for once that we qualified and our players seem so humble and less troubles with money. Thank God.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

ogiso wrote:Hold your horses! Time will tell.
platinum wrote: Am happy for once that we qualified and our players seem so humble and less troubles with money. Thank God.
?