The strongest & the weakest of the African teams going to WC

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kastro11
Egg
Egg
Re: The strongest & the weakest of the African teams going t

Post by kastro11 »

Tobi17 wrote:Boss I beg to differ, Egypt just like Nigeria has built a very cohesive team unit especially in defense, hard to break down and very good in attack... the subtlety of such a system is that it gives a very attacking talented player (Salah for Egypt and Moses for Nigeria) a free role to be very effective almost single handedly, but the beauty of such a system is that every player is potentially a dangerous player... Team work is key.
This is why I'm hoping African sides get favourable groups. The system will allow our teams to be competitive in the matches, even against top opposition. That needs to come after the group stages though.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I don't feel anything as an African when Egypt or Tunisia plays in international competitions. They might as well be Ukraine and Slovenia. I feel slight emotion when Morroco plays but couldn't care less if they win or lose. So for me it's Nigeria and Senegal in this WC. Nonetheless i wish all 5 teams well ...mainly for sake of national peace or should i say OAU.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

muzines wrote:Pissed off that 3 North African teams are going, but Ivory Coast really pooped in church today. That was disgraceful.
Why are you pissed off? Morocco last made it to the world cup in 1998 with Mustapha Hadji and co. Egypt is going for the first time since 1990, while Tunisia is going for the first time since 2006. What has African team from other regions done in the last two world cups?
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

1naija wrote:I don't feel anything as an African when Egypt or Tunisia plays in international competitions. They might as well be Ukraine and Slovenia. I feel slight emotion when Morroco plays but couldn't care less if they win or lose. So for me it's Nigeria and Senegal in this WC. Nonetheless i wish all 5 teams well ...mainly for sake of national peace or should i say OAU.
Isn't this a bit racist?
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Benedict Iroha wrote:
1naija wrote:I don't feel anything as an African when Egypt or Tunisia plays in international competitions. They might as well be Ukraine and Slovenia. I feel slight emotion when Morroco plays but couldn't care less if they win or lose. So for me it's Nigeria and Senegal in this WC. Nonetheless i wish all 5 teams well ...mainly for sake of national peace or should i say OAU.
Isn't this a bit racist?
Why? Not less racist than saying I will back African teams to beat European teams. Its just identity politics.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

marutimon wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:
Isn't this a bit racist?
Why? Not less racist than saying I will back African teams to beat European teams. Its just identity politics.
But they always support Nigeria in international competition.
I will support all of them ...because they represent our continent.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Benedict Iroha wrote:
Isn't this a bit racist?
Not a politically correct thing to say but the fact remains that the North Africans see themselves as Arabs and not Africans. If Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Senegal or South Africa was playing Saudi Arabia or Iran, who do you think the Moroccan, Tunisian, Algerian, Libyan and Egyptian fans would support?

I still have memories of USA 94 when every African in America was in the stadium supporting Nigeria with placards. Did you see one North African there?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Benedict Iroha wrote:
Isn't this a bit racist?
I did a search on international matches played by Egypt, Morroco, and Tunisia, and can't find a single post from you cheering them on. I guess that makes you a racist too. If you guys dont know the meaning of words why do you use them?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:
Isn't this a bit racist?
Not a politically correct thing to say but the fact remains that the North Africans see themselves as Arabs and not Africans. If Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Senegal or South Africa was playing Saudi Arabia or Iran, who do you think the Moroccan, Tunisian, Algerian, Libyan and Egyptian fans would support?

I still have memories of USA 94 when every African in America was in the stadium supporting Nigeria with placards. Did you see one North African there?
Mine may not be politically correct, but yours if factually incorrect. I was at the stadium in Dallas, and there were many North African supporters. Also, the Moroccan guy used to fly around the word on his own dime to play his native drum with the Super Eagles supporters club.

Personally, i just don't feel anything when they play, and it has nothing to do with race.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Yes glad Senegal made i will root for the following Nigeria, Senegal, Morroco ( don't know why but they are my favorite North African team)then Egypt...and the worst African rep Tunisia who we all know won't do jack. . 215 days away, I hope CAF performs better than last time..
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kastro11
Egg
Egg

Post by kastro11 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Not a politically correct thing to say but the fact remains that the North Africans see themselves as Arabs and not Africans. If Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Senegal or South Africa was playing Saudi Arabia or Iran, who do you think the Moroccan, Tunisian, Algerian, Libyan and Egyptian fans would support?
This is far from the truth. I am insulted if someone calls me an Arab. Calling Egyptians Arabs is an insult to our great history. Egyptian civilzation predates Arab history by far. They were nothing but desert dwellers when we had a unified country. All the Egyptians I know personally don't consider themselves Arab at all. We are Africans full stop. Any Egyptian who has said the contrary is a massive ignoramus. You cannot change history or ethnicity.

I would also never support Saudi Arabia over any team from our continent. Iranians aren't Arabs in the first place? Those two national teams are garbage and would never qualify if they were in CAF. I look forward to both of them getting rocked in the World Cup.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

kastro11 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Not a politically correct thing to say but the fact remains that the North Africans see themselves as Arabs and not Africans. If Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Senegal or South Africa was playing Saudi Arabia or Iran, who do you think the Moroccan, Tunisian, Algerian, Libyan and Egyptian fans would support?
This is far from the truth. I am insulted if someone calls me an Arab. Calling Egyptians Arabs is an insult to our great history. Egyptian civilzation predates Arab history by far. They were nothing but desert dwellers when we had a unified country. All the Egyptians I know personally don't consider themselves Arab at all. We are Africans full stop. Any Egyptian who has said the contrary is a massive ignoramus. You cannot change history or ethnicity.

I would also never support Saudi Arabia over any team from our continent. Iranians aren't Arabs in the first place? Those two national teams are garbage and would never qualify if they were in CAF. I look forward to both of them getting rocked in the World Cup.
Kastro11, first of all, welcome to CyberEagles. Hope you enjoy your stay.

We have our official Egyptian Ambassador here in CyberEagles land, Elhadary. He has been with us for a very long time that he now understands pidgin and can throw around banter with the best of them.

Personally, I will like Egypt to do well. I know when they (FIFA) rate Africa's performance in the world cup, they will count Egypt as part of Africa. It will be something to see the winningest team in all of Africa go and conquer the world.

Wishing you guys the best at the world cup.

My dream is to have a Semifinal between Egypt and Naijaria... either way, Africa wins.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Happy for Morocco. They alongside Algeria are the only 2 north African teams that do well at the WC. Egypt is meh and Tunisia can kiss grits and are garbage. Still pissed Congo M.D effed up in Kinshasa. I think Nigeria, Senegal and Morocco will rep Africa well.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
asheq almozmar
Egg
Egg

Post by asheq almozmar »

kastro11 wrote:

Ayo akinfe,here you got your answer. I just feel bity for whoever thinks its a great that we have 4 Arab countries at the world cup cus i know for a fact they dont wish eachother well and you can bet its the same feeling when Egypt play against any team.
I will support Saudi as my country,Nigeria as my favourite team since1989 and Senegal and thats it for me .the WC will be over for me once these countries get eleminated hopfully in advanc3d stages.
kastro11
Egg
Egg

Post by kastro11 »

Cellular wrote:Kastro11, first of all, welcome to CyberEagles. Hope you enjoy your stay.

We have our official Egyptian Ambassador here in CyberEagles land, Elhadary. He has been with us for a very long time that he now understands pidgin and can throw around banter with the best of them.

Personally, I will like Egypt to do well. I know when they (FIFA) rate Africa's performance in the world cup, they will count Egypt as part of Africa. It will be something to see the winningest team in all of Africa go and conquer the world.

Wishing you guys the best at the world cup.

My dream is to have a Semifinal between Egypt and Naijaria... either way, Africa wins.
Thanks for the welcome man, much appreciated. I had originally joined an Ivorian forum, but I think I definitely exhausted my French lol

There seems to be good representation here which should be interesting!

Personally, I'm baffled it's taken us this long to qualify. Had some bad luck among the way. Hopefully all of Africa's reps do well. I quite like your NT, hence how I found this place. The Super Eagles will have my support in Russia.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

So for me, Senegal and Nigeria have the best players. Take Sadio Mane's defense splitting pass yesterday. It is the type of pass that was of the highest order. One that make the difference in games. Or Koulibally's string defensive play. Nigeria has the same type of quality players but probably a better team. This is a good thing because I think the more well drilled sides with quality players who can score will do better at the WC.

Based on this, strongest to weakest

Nigeria - Best combination of team and quality players

Morocco - Great defensive unit but i am not sure they have the offensive power to score against the top sides

Senegal - Could be tops if they get team cohesion by the WC

Tunisia - They can play some really slick cohesive football but they've flattered to deceive quite a bit

Egypt - They are newcomers at this level and their performance against Non-African teams has been poor. They rely on Sallah s lot too
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

bret- hart wrote:Happy for Morocco. They alongside Algeria are the only 2 north African teams that do well at the WC. Egypt is meh and Tunisia can kiss grits and are garbage. Still pissed Congo M.D effed up in Kinshasa. I think Nigeria, Senegal and Morocco will rep Africa well.
To be fair Egypt was at the World Cup only twice.

In ancient footballing history of 1934 they had a tough game vs Hungary (a superpower at the time) and they lost 4:2 (it was a knockout tournament at the time).

They didn't shame Africa in 1990 - they had a tough group with England, Netherlands and Ireland. They drew Netherlands and Ireland, lost to England 1:0.
sholaJay
Egg
Egg

Post by sholaJay »

Nigeria are on the verge of something great. Senegal have the capacity to hurt any team in the world but the tactical nous from the bench is lacking. I don't expect anything to come from Egypt, Tunisia or Morrocco, not because they are bad teams, but the quality of the teams they'll face is just too high.

Nigeria - Quarter final
Senegal - Round 16
Egypt - Group stage
Morrocco - Group stage
Tunisia - Group stage

However, a lot can change in 7 months.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

kastro11 wrote:

As you can see, on CE we are brothers and everyone is welcome but you and I both know we will never get that kind of welcome on a Northern African forum.

Kaffir is the Arab derogatory word for sub-Saharan Africans. It is widely used by fans in the terraces and in Libya was chanted by baying mobs as they carried out pogroms.

It will be dishonest to try and pretend these realities are not there. We are seen as primitive infidels!

By the way, Ancient Egypt was populated by negroes. Arabs only arrived with the Hyksos invasion, which forced millions of Egyptians south of the Sahara. Modern day Egypt is not the same as the land of the pharaohs.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

senegal and tunisia are easily the weakest
Tunisia lacks quality, Senegal lacks the IQ
Morocco unlikely to make it past the first round as well
IMHO, Egypt and Nigeria are the strongest
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:
Isn't this a bit racist?

I still have memories of USA 94 when every African in America was in the stadium supporting Nigeria with placards.
Did you see one North African there
?
Yep Ayo you personally counted and observed all 150k plus cumulative fans while watching the games And somehow came up with enough evidence to make a truly assertive conclusion. How Einsteinian ?
And you wonder why you’re not taken seriously?
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Hard to say which African teams will go the farthest until we see what groups were in.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Congrats to all of them.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.