My top 10 favourite contenders for the 2018 World Cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
My top 10 favourite contenders for the 2018 World Cup

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

(1) Brazil
At the moment, they have to be the odds on favourites. They have a complete team. Their attack is awesome with Neymar, Jesus, Coutinho and Fremino and they have really tightened things up at the back too. I am particularly in awe of their width. Both fullbacks can score and cross and will always pop up in the opposing penalty area. Odds 2/1

(2) Germany
Simply brimming with talent. The only team to qualify with a 100% record, winning all her games. Germany can produce four World Cup teams at the moment and the rate at which they are producing creative players is frightening. As usual, they are a well-oiled machine who are hard to break down. Odds 3/1

(3) Spain
They went through a recent bad patch but are now back to their best. Spain's recent hammering of Costa Rica 5-0 showed that they are back in the hunt for silverware.With Morata, Fabergas and Isco, they will always break teams down and Diego Costa is still there too. At the back, Pique also marshal's the defence well. Odds 5/1

(4) Argentina
Had a poor start to the qualifiers but are now getting back to their best. With a forward line of De Maria, Aguero and of course Messi, they can unlock any defence in the world. When you have a player as good as Hiohuain sitting on the bench, you are terrifying. With Mascherano and Otamendi manning their defence, they are also very hard to break down. Odds 10/1

(5) France
A very erratic team but never under-estimate Les Blues. If they can get their usual camp polityics behind them, they are a force to be reckoned with. They have so many playmakers at the moment, they are scary. A lot may depend on if Paul Pogba turns up with his A game in Russia. Odds 12/1

(6) Italy
As we all know, Azzurri is simply one of the hardest teams to beat. Now and again, they fail to deliver and can go off the boil for a few years. At the moment, they are in a rebuilding phase so their team is not as strong as it once was but make no mistake about it, they will be in Russia in full force. Do not be deceived by their recent wobble against Sweden. Bear in mind that Andrea Belotti is new to the team. Once he and Ciro Immobile work out their striking partnership, Italy will be a handful. Odds 15/1

(7) Belgium
Another team packed with talent from top to bottom. Where do I start from? Is it Hazard, Lukaku, De Bruyne or Courtois? Their problem is that tney are yet to mould themselves into a cohesive unit but if they do they could be dark horses for this tournament. Odds 15/1

(8) Portugal
Watch out for them as they surprised everyone by winning Euro 2016. When you have Cristiano Ronaldo in your team, there is no writing you off. They are also not a none man team as the likes of Nani, Pepe and Moutinho are all top class talent too. Odds 20/1

(9) Uruguay
Another dark horse who will fancy their chances given the amount of talent they have. No one disputes that the likes of Suarez, Cavanni and Godin are world class players, so it may well be down to how the rest of the team performs. Their biggest downside may be that they are an ageing squad. Odds 30/1

(10) England
They have always flattered to deceive but this time around they have a young team actually made of creative players. Traditionally, English footballk has been based on discipline and order. However, new coach Gareth Southgate is lopoking to players like Loftus-Cheek, Alli, Kane, etc to actually prize defences open with their gile. He is also getting them to play the flexible 3-5-2. If they can get this sorted, we may see a return of the England we last saw at Italia 90. Odds 35/1
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: My top 10 favourite contenders for the 2018 World Cup

Post by nanijoe »

Don't Italy have to qualify for the World Cup first?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

nanijoe wrote:Don't Italy have to qualify for the World Cup first?

Consider it a formality!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) Brazil
At the moment, they have to be the odds on favourites. They have a complete team. Their attack is awesome with Neymar, Jesus, Coutinho and Fremino and they have really tightened things up at the back too. I am particularly in awe of their width. Both fullbacks can score and cross and will always pop up in the opposing penalty area. Odds 2/1

(2) Germany
Simply brimming with talent. The only team to qualify with a 100% record, winning all her games. Germany can produce four World Cup teams at the moment and the rate at which they are producing creative players is frightening. As usual, they are a well-oiled machine who are hard to break down. Odds 3/1

(3) Spain
They went through a recent bad patch but are now back to their best. Spain's recent hammering of Costa Rica 5-0 showed that they are back in the hunt for silverware.With Morata, Fabergas and Isco, they will always break teams down and Diego Costa is still there too. At the back, Pique also marshal's the defence well. Odds 5/1

(4) Argentina
Had a poor start to the qualifiers but are now getting back to their best. With a forward line of De Maria, Aguero and of course Messi, they can unlock any defence in the world. When you have a player as good as Hiohuain sitting on the bench, you are terrifying. With Mascherano and Otamendi manning their defence, they are also very hard to break down. Odds 10/1

(5) France
A very erratic team but never under-estimate Les Blues. If they can get their usual camp polityics behind them, they are a force to be reckoned with. They have so many playmakers at the moment, they are scary. A lot may depend on if Paul Pogba turns up with his A game in Russia. Odds 12/1

(6) Italy
As we all know, Azzurri is simply one of the hardest teams to beat. Now and again, they fail to deliver and can go off the boil for a few years. At the moment, they are in a rebuilding phase so their team is not as strong as it once was but make no mistake about it, they will be in Russia in full force. Do not be deceived by their recent wobble against Sweden. Bear in mind that Andrea Belotti is new to the team. Once he and Ciro Immobile work out their striking partnership, Italy will be a handful. Odds 15/1

(7) Belgium
Another team packed with talent from top to bottom. Where do I start from? Is it Hazard, Lukaku, De Bruyne or Courtois? Their problem is that tney are yet to mould themselves into a cohesive unit but if they do they could be dark horses for this tournament. Odds 15/1

(8) Portugal
Watch out for them as they surprised everyone by winning Euro 2016. When you have Cristiano Ronaldo in your team, there is no writing you off. They are also not a none man team as the likes of Nani, Pepe and Moutinho are all top class talent too. Odds 20/1

(9) Uruguay
Another dark horse who will fancy their chances given the amount of talent they have. No one disputes that the likes of Suarez, Cavanni and Godin are world class players, so it may well be down to how the rest of the team performs. Their biggest downside may be that they are an ageing squad. Odds 30/1

(10) England
They have always flattered to deceive but this time around they have a young team actually made of creative players. Traditionally, English footballk has been based on discipline and order. However, new coach Gareth Southgate is lopoking to players like Loftus-Cheek, Alli, Kane, etc to actually prize defences open with their gile. He is also getting them to play the flexible 3-5-2. If they can get this sorted, we may see a return of the England we last saw at Italia 90. Odds 35/1

Andrea and Ciro were strike partners @ Torino.

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

didn't you make this same thread a few days ago? if not forgive me, they all seem to run together.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Argentina hard to break down? Are you kidding?
That is their Achilles heel. They are working hard on it though.

Brazil peaked way too early.

England? Seriously?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

King Futcha wrote:didn't you make this same thread a few days ago? if not forgive me, they all seem to run together.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I think the other thread/post just had a list of the names. Today, he has fleshed it out! Its like an associate at a law firm who provides a useless memo to the Partner and he is asked to go back and flesh it out. :clap: :clap:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Kabalega wrote:Argentina hard to break down? Are you kidding?

England? Seriously?
The problem with wAyo, like i have said is that he is still analyzing teams based on their 1985 form. :lol: :lol: I mean, if you have never watched Argentina, and then I tell you their coach is Sampaoli, if you know Sampaoli, your first question will be "how is he setting up his defense?" "Is he playing 3 at the back?" Is he playing a midfielder in defense again?" "etc etc
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

danfo driver wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) Brazil

(2) Germany

(3) Spain

(4) Argentina

(5) France

(6) Italy

(7) Belgium

(8) Portugal

(9) Uruguay

(10) England

Andrea and Ciro were strike partners @ Torino.

But I take it you know Ventura is making them play 3-5-2 now? Go and watch their game against Sweden and you will notice that they have not got the near post/far post situation fully worked out under this system.

I noticed that Darmian and Candreva actually whip a lot of balls into the penalty area from out wide but the strikers have not mastered the art of deciding who goes into what position. Check the Youtube again and notice how many times a ball was begging for someone to be on the end of it.
Last edited by Ayo Akinfe on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

England is a purely sentimental pick, Croatia and Serbia are just as good as England,another dead rubber post. :boo:
Last edited by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

England? Seriously?

Do you know that Argentina has only conceded two goals in their last five matches? Away to Ecuador and at home to Venezuela.

At the start of qualification, they were leaking goals left right and centre, including that 0-3 loss to Brazil and 0-2 losses at home to Ecuador and away to Bolivia but now they have steadied the ship. If you ask me, Sampaoli has done a good job with the defence
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Consider it a formality!
Be prepared for another embarrassment. :)
I wouldn't bet on it.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

DAgrin wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Consider it a formality!
Be prepared for another embarrassment. :)
I wouldn't bet on it.
We will know in a few hours time.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

England? Seriously?

You forgot that Ayo's opinion on football is incomplete without acknowledging England.
Yes, England have some talent and heart for the game, but when they meet a team that
loves ball possession they seem lost. I bet Costa Rica, even after their latest debacle will
give England some fits.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Who is the most dangerous of the outsiders?
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Ummm...
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Consider it a formality!
ojafranpa
Egg
Egg

Post by ojafranpa »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Consider it a formality!
Yikes! You often fart with your mouth bro. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

:rotf:
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Ayo, are you Rpbbynice in disguise? Italy will have to be contending from their front room
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Ayo please leave the prediction game to those of us who actually understand the game. These things come back to haunt you if you just write whatever comes into your head
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
01bakana
Egg
Egg

Post by 01bakana »

waka-man wrote:Ayo please leave the prediction game to those of us who actually understand the game. These things come back to haunt you if you just write whatever comes into your head
Wakaman, when something comes into your head, there is the chance that you’d give it a thought, our broad seems to have fingers that have a mind of theirs, bypassing the bit between his ears.
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Ayo , I really fear you too much right now o....Chei!!!!
Italy no even qualify!!!
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Consider it a formality!
Bros! Wetin you call am? Formality! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.