Argentina 2 V 4 Nigeria FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

akamoke
Re: Argentina 2 V 4 Nigeria FT

Post by akamoke »

Siddonlook11 wrote:
akamoke wrote:Kudos to the guys who reminded us all that this was a friendly , I pick Robbynice and Enugu especially

Funny how a goal can change analysis, I always maintain, its best to "try" to watch a game and form an opinion after 90 mins..I know its hard with the SE, but some of the comments during and after a game reminds me of Jekyll and Hyde
Ah bros me too na .. I am jealousing you no mention your aburo :sneaky: :sneaky:
You know how it is my bro, I dont have to mention my aburo to acknowledge him, you missed my nod of acclaim :P :P
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Great game for us. Rohr is building a monster!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

green4life wrote:
okuns wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
okuns wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
GREENWHITEGREEN wrote:Iwobi goals were typical Gunner goals. The boy has been well coached in the fundamentals of the great game. Na brain he just dey take play.
I was at the game Under 21 game, when Wenger overuled the crooked English youth Coaches by picking youth team. He put Iwobi as a striker and made him Captain. This eventually led to resignations on mass and those English lot still hold a grudge to this day.

It was one hell of a turn around. Under those Coaches, Iwobi became a fringe player with all the talk that he was not good enough despite Wenge continuing to invite him to train with the 1st team.

Then Wenger struck. He ordered Iwobi into the team initially in the wide left position. Wenger then replaced the player those horrible racist old school English coaches preferred to in the number 10 position.

I remember then, they were dark days for the boys of African parenthood who were not seen as being English by those who openly preferred certain types even if they were not as good. But Wenger personally took charge and enforced change.

I witnessed it all with rage. What got to me was how they all closed ranks from the Coaches to the regulars in the stands. Even the guys who had his blog on Arsenal youth agreed and did not change his position even when Iwobi made it to the 1st team. I lost respect for all of them, the bloggers, the whole lot of them.

Half way through the season, Wenger moved Alex to the striker position and he play there for the rest of that season and half of the next season. It was then Iwobi horned his skills in around goal. He added goals to his game and learnt to time and make the right runs. I saw it all happen.

BTW! The player they preferred over Iwobi now plays at Southend FC.
His strength on the ball was somn to behold as well. Didn't know he had this kind of work rate. I don't watch Arsenal games so I don't know how much his game has evolved.

To see us change personnel upfront and our ability to interchange seamlessly was a beaut.

Excellent display by Alex. Hope he keeps improving and evolving.
Alex had a very good game offensively, but noticed he always drifted to the middle of the park exposing the LB (Aina). Argies did not have as much luck on the right side as Nacho helped out. This is something we should work on. I know it's only a friendly, BUT I am allowing myself to dream that we could go deep into this WC. We are witnessing the genesis of a solid 23-man roster filled with so much option come June of next year. And competition is going to be fierce to make this squad.

I think you are interpreting the game based on a 433. Don’t forget we played 352, with Iwobi as one of the 2. Thus, his job was actually to retreat to the center during the defensive phase of the team. It is the LCm (Ogu) who is required to assist and cover up for the Left back. If you notice, in the second half, after we had settled into the formation more, Ogu began to help Idowu.
Okay, that explains the acres of space in front of Idowu in the first half. I was wondering why Alex was always late to provide support. I thought we played 5-3-2 since I often saw a line of 5 defenders with 2 DMs (Ogu and Ndidi) and AM (Mikel). And Nacho and Iwobi protecting the FBs when we don't have the ball.
The acres of space in the first half was caused by poor positioning of both wing backs who failed to step up wider as pseudo wide defensive midfielders. Contrast to the positioning of Idowu and Ebuehi in the second half. With better positioning of the wing backs, the midfielders were better able to cover the central areas.
KPOM. The positioning, particularly by Aina was off and Idowu corrected it in the second half. I believe it is that positioning issue that Okuns refers to.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Argentina V Nigeria

Post by anointed »

okidoki wrote:Changing system to 5-3-2 is questionable. It's clear we are struggling with the change. NO clear outlet.
Questionable in a friendly? Should he have done that during the WC or against Cameroun or Zambia? Do you actually know the purpose of friendlies?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Enugu II wrote:We may deride Ayoakinfe but his question about pace in central defense came to fore on that second goal. This is an issue several others mentioned on this forum much earlier.
Problem isn't just the pace of the CB but the fact that the pass to the wings was made possible in the first place. In most cases, when the ball gets that far, it's always a goal...even sides score own goals often from such moves.

Back in 1993, in Abidjan, Ben Iroha conceded a penalty due to such moves.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

anointed wrote:
Enugu II wrote:We may deride Ayoakinfe but his question about pace in central defense came to fore on that second goal. This is an issue several others mentioned on this forum much earlier.
Problem isn't just the pace of the CB but the fact that the pass to the wings was made possible in the first place. In most cases, when the ball gets that far, it's always a goal...even sides score own goals often from such moves.

Chei bro, you remember that WCQ game...I also remember in that game Siasia fail to release a through pass to Yekini...memories mehn
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Western media chose to mention Aguero fainting rather than nigeria coming back brilliantly to win the game, thought that was a bit biased, even some people left comments as to why the headlines did not say Argentina was thrashed by Nigeria

If Messi played, i am sorry, he would have murdered that defence and useless keeper, its that simple, maybe we might get them again at the world cup
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Robbynice wrote:
anointed wrote:

Chei bro, you remember that WCQ game...I also remember in that game Siasia fail to release a through pass to Yekini...memories mehn
How I no go remember when I no fit chop for 24 hrs after match?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

marko wrote:Western media chose to mention Aguero fainting rather than nigeria coming back brilliantly to win the game, thought that was a bit biased, even some people left comments as to why the headlines did not say Argentina was thrashed by Nigeria

If Messi played, i am sorry, he would have murdered that defence and useless keeper, its that simple, maybe we might get them again at the world cup
Who cares what the media say, as long as we keep them in their reality check box then I'm fine.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

anointed wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
anointed wrote:

How I no go remember when I no fit chop for 24 hrs after match?
You too? Omo I nearly cry that day. That game pain me no be small...kai!
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

I think Alloy Agu could've been a bit more composed instead of jumping all over the place. It's only a friendly. I can understand the players (and fans) getting excited but a coach should be more measured unless it's a competitive game.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

mystic wrote:Great game for us. Rohr is building a monster!
Yep. I'm loving it. 8-)
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

theYemster wrote:I think Alloy Agu could've been a bit more composed instead of jumping all over the place. It's only a friendly. I can understand the players (and fans) getting excited but a coach should be more measured unless it's a competitive game.
What else and who else are you going to criticize? The SE won against a top 5 team in the world and you are busy picking on everything they did or shouldn't have done. smdh!
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

theYemster wrote:I think Alloy Agu could've been a bit more composed instead of jumping all over the place. It's only a friendly. I can understand the players (and fans) getting excited but a coach should be more measured unless it's a competitive game.
Agu and the other GK coach should ask themselves why Akpeyi can't position himself properly at free kicks.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.