BALOGUN

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: BALOGUN

Post by jette1 »

wale1974 wrote:
jette1 wrote:Not a World Cup player. He might have been great against African Teams but the reason he plays in division 2 is now obvious
Mainz is D2 :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Haba you for use google before opening this thread nah :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Yes They just got promoted but that’s besides the point; this is not about bashing the guy. For me I would take a shirt off my back for him. His patriotism is unflapable but we have to be honest with our selves. Had we lost this game a big spotlight would have been lit on his inadequacies these last couple of games. It is unrealistic to continue to gloss over thiese serious gaps just because we won. The World Cup will present bigger challenges.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

So Argentina with world class player their defenders allow 4 goals and Balogun and co just allow two goals that none was his fault yet he is consider not good enough?
Na wa for our people sha,since when did playing for big club means you are better?
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Wow only on CE does one see a swing from extreme praise to extreme criticism in the space of 1 day

always said the praise for Balogun was OTT.
for me he is a good defender but not great
not as good as Ekong who is easily our best defender
Dumb fans mocked me for saying this previously ; now they are seeing the light

However in a flat back four he and Ekong are the best we have
Go and watch Awaziem in a flat back four, you will cry
In fact the fundamental difference between our performance v Southafrica and our performance v Algeria (away) was Balogun playing instead of Awaziem
THat is Balogun's value. he is much better than the alternatives
We need to find back up for him because he is injury prone
We also need to stop going from one extreme reaction to the other.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

jette1 wrote:
wale1974 wrote:
jette1 wrote:Not a World Cup player. He might have been great against African Teams but the reason he plays in division 2 is now obvious

Yes They just got promoted but that’s besides the point; this is not about bashing the guy. For me I would take a shirt off my back for him. His patriotism is unflapable but we have to be honest with our selves. Had we lost this game a big spotlight would have been lit on his inadequacies these last couple of games. It is unrealistic to continue to gloss over thiese serious gaps just because we won. The World Cup will present bigger challenges.
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Haba you for use google before responding this thread AGAIN :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Benedict Iroha wrote:Dude just get a pass because he was bred in Germany.
That's unfair. Nobody said he was world class but what he has been is consistent, reliable and professional in his performances. Yes, the argies ran him ragged in the first half but that was mostly due to a combination of his wingback leaving him exposed plus top class argie attackers who will expose many defenders in Russia. But in the second half with better organization from both wing backs his performance reverted to Mr. Reliable. Ya'll need to get off his back. For what we have, he's one of our best CBs and baring injury will be starting in Russia.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

wale1974 wrote:
jette1 wrote:
wale1974 wrote:

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Haba you for use google before responding this thread AGAIN :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:
I cannot believe anyone will make two ridiculous blunders in a row, especially in this 'GOOGLE' era, to expose him/her self.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

green4life wrote:
That's unfair. Nobody said he was world class but what he has been is consistent, reliable and professional in his performances. Yes, the argies ran him ragged in the first half but that was mostly due to a combination of his wingback leaving him exposed plus top class argie attackers who will expose many defenders in Russia. But in the second half with better organization from both wing backs his performance reverted to Mr. Reliable. Ya'll need to get off his back. For what we have, he's one of our best CBs and baring injury will be starting in Russia.
they didnt run him ragged in the first half
where did you get that from ?
wasnt at fault for either goal although he did make one blunder which luckily wasn't punished
other than that he was his usual solid and unspectacular self in the first half
fully agree with your general point though
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

smartbrother wrote:
green4life wrote:
wasnt at fault for either goal although he did make one blunder which luckily wasn't punished
Balogun is not fully fit. He suffered an injury 3 weeks ago in the Bundesliga and has not played since until the recent internationals. Balogun needs to start playing regularly again for Mainz to get back into tip top shape. He got injured on the face again when he had that clash of heads with Aina and it was bound to affect him as he is suffering from a cheekbone fracture.
I am happy
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Those who crucified Jesus have been reincarnated and are on CE today. Footballers will make mistakes from time to time but judge them on their overall output. Balogun has been a plus to the SE overall so please put down the cross and stay the crucifixion
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Guys, Im glad you are not coaches, so you want to discard Balogun, or even Akpeyi - this is why in the past we have not had long term stalwarts in the team, its a surprise we had guys like Enyeama, Kanu and Yobo hit us for 90 caps, we like to chop and change
Thank God we we have a level headed coach who seems to have an idea of what is important - building chemistry and team confidence
Yes, players have bad games from time to time, we try others to keep them honest but to say xyz is not a world cup player? wow
Im glad this is just a Fan site not a bastion for coaching knowledge
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Dammy wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
green4life wrote:
Balogun is not fully fit. He suffered an injury 3 weeks ago in the Bundesliga and has not played since until the recent internationals. Balogun needs to start playing regularly again for Mainz to get back into tip top shape. He got injured on the face again when he had that clash of heads with Aina and it was bound to affect him as he is suffering from a cheekbone fracture.

Balogun has these kind of games when he's not fully fit or is match rusty (think back to his shaky display against Senegal earlier in the year when he was similarly not at the top of his game). When fit he's top class.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

wale1974 wrote:

You should know jette1 by now, always putting his foot in it.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

You people are funny....anyway, while you are all at it, can you try to clone or discover that world cup center half before next summer. I know they say talk is cheap, but please we need more than talk,just get us thay world cup defender.

I guess those clowns that Iwobi was nutmegging are the world cup defenders. Balogun may not be a world cup player,heck he cant be until he has played there. But one thing for sure he has qualified us playing his hearts out, that will do for me and my household.

So while i wait for you guys to gives us that world cup defender, as for me and my household Balogun shall continue to delight our hearts!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Balogun has been one of our best CB's since Uche Okechukwu...Period.

I'm yet to see anything about Balogun that has altered that notion
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
nko
Egg
Egg

Post by nko »

Looks like Balogun was not fit and may have been nursing an injury. Please see link below for statements attributed to Coach Rohr.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/11/15/wh ... -explains/
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

this is a very daft thread
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Did anyone notice the body blow Balogun received from Aina when they both collided in the first half?
I truly felt he was concussed after that collision, and probably should have been subbed.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

My question mark over Balogun is with his pace. he can he keep up with quick forwards?
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:My question mark over Balogun is with his pace. he can he keep up with quick forwards?
Hope you can ask the same question about those three Argentine defenders crowding Iwobi,
just before his second goal.

― Chris Hedges
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Balogun has been class since he first wore our jersey. I would like to believe this Argentina game was an aberration. He wasn't good vs. ARG...but he has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Ekong is a future Super Eagles captain. Boy has grown remarkably
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

joao wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:My question mark over Balogun is with his pace. he can he keep up with quick forwards?
Hope you can ask the same question about those three Argentine defenders crowding Iwobi,
just before his second goal.
Wetin concern agbero with overload?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

How well did otamendi and mascherano keep up with Kelechi and Iwobi?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Good player. Solid. Lacks pace and is not comfortable on the ball though.