Bassey returns to Fulham after injury

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Calvin Bassey has returned to Fulham early from international duty after missing Nigeria’s win over Ghana on Thursday through injury.

Nigerian website All Nigeria Soccer reports that Bassey has been unable to train from the outset of the Super Eagles’ camp and has returned to Motspur Park for urgent analysis by Fulham’s medical team to ascertain whether the unspecified knock will rule him out of Saturday’s trip to Sheffield United.

Bassey, who together with his Fulham team-mate Alex Iwobi helped Nigeria reach the final of the African Cup of Nations earlier this year, has become a regular in Marco Silva’s side since signing for the Whites from Ajax in the summer.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/03/ ... er-injury/
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Bassey returns to Fulham after injury

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly, wey u!? Hehehe
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:24 pm Lolly, wey u!? Hehehe
So he wouldn’t have started him if Bassey and Omeruo were both fit? So I was right in querying him unlike you lot. End of story
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Lolly wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:26 pm
So he wouldn’t have started him if Bassey and Omeruo were both fit? So I was right in querying him unlike you lot. End of story
You are a real politician :D
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

You are definitely the undisputed king of Doubling Down when you’re so glaringly wrong, no doubt🙂❗️

Cheers.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:51 pm
You are definitely the undisputed king of Doubling Down when you’re so glaringly wrong, no doubt🙂❗️

Cheers.
I queried why he was invited and more importantly why he was in the starting line up. And now it has come out it that he other two central defenders were injured hence why he started him. So now we know why he started him.

Tell me what I did wrong.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

niyi wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:37 pm
You are a real politician :D
Nope. I am a true fan. I am allowed to ask questions including the difficult ones.

I still don’t support his invitation. That one hasn’t changed. But I now know he had no choice than to start him because his first choice central defenders were injured.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: you drew a conclusion without knowing jack about the situation, so starting him is no longer the ‘bigger sin’ abi!? 😝
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:56 pm
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: you drew a conclusion without knowing jack about the situation, so starting him is no longer the ‘bigger sin’ abi!? 😝
At least I am right that he wouldn’t have started him above the other established defenders. That would have been the bigger sin. Abi I lie?

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:04 pm
At least I am right that he wouldn’t have started him above the other established defenders. That would have been the bigger sin. Abi I lie?
You assumed he did start him above established players, na your own ‘sin’ be that cause as the saying goes ‘when you assume you make an a$$ out of….’. It’s all good sha…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:33 pm
You assumed he did start him above established players, na your own ‘sin’ be that cause as the saying goes ‘when you assume you make an a$$ out of….’. It’s all good sha…
Yes I assumed he did and it would have been a sin if he started the guy above established players on his first invite out of nowhere. Thank God I am not a robot. If somethings don’t look right, I query it. No shaking.

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

So it is no longer the "bigger sin"? You slyly cast aspersions and now instead of, "my bad" you are actually now saying that you were right all along?

Who did this to us? :cry: :(
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

So it is no longer the "bigger sin"? You slyly cast aspersions and now instead of, "my bad" you are actually now saying that you were right all along?

THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Cellular wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:34 pm

It would have been if he started him with the other two guys fit and available. He is forgiven, though I am still not in support of the decision to invite him.

You guys are pretending as if you don’t get it. I understand. A local coach can’t do any wrong. :lol:

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Lolly wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:44 pm

It would have been if he started him with the other two guys fit and available. He is forgiven, though I am still not in support of the decision to invite him.

You guys are pretending as if you don’t get it. I understand. A local coach can’t do any wrong. :lol:
Lolly, the invitation of Tanimu and subsequently playing him in a friendly game is a good thing.

You of all people should know what it means seeing someone like you in a position you believe is reserved for other special people.

The guy was invited. Showed enough in practice and earned a starting shirt. He did not embarrass himself or the people who had enough faith in him.

His debut was better than a whole lot of other players who ended up being mainstays.

The man was carrying the pressure of many other footballers who were wishing and hoping that he did not fail because if he had failed, would have ended any such experiment.

Remember the game when I was asking who was playing LB and how poor that person was? Imagine if it was Tanimu with such a display. Bruno Onyemachi stunk up the joint (at least in the first half)... but he was allowed to be below average. No one questioned his invitation or display. But Tanimu???

I like that he was invited. I even liked it more that he wasn't overawed with playing with people he only gets to watch on TV.

I hope he builds on his first game.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Example of those other players, please ...

And I thought he did well too..
Cellular wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:46 pm

Lolly, the invitation of Tanimu and subsequently playing him in a friendly game is a good thing.

You of all people should know what it means seeing someone like you in a position you believe is reserved for other special people.

The guy was invited. Showed enough in practice and earned a starting shirt. He did not embarrass himself or the people who had enough faith in him.

His debut was better than a whole lot of other players who ended up being mainstays.

The man was carrying the pressure of many other footballers who were wishing and hoping that he did not fail because if he had failed, would have ended any such experiment.

Remember the game when I was asking who was playing LB and how poor that person was? Imagine if it was Tanimu with such a display. Bruno Onyemachi stunk up the joint (at least in the first half)... but he was allowed to be below average. No one questioned his invitation or display. But Tanimu???

I like that he was invited. I even liked it more that he wasn't overawed with playing with people he only gets to watch on TV.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:52 pm Example of those other players, please ...

And I thought he did well too..

IMO, his debut was better than the following (off the top of my head) Ademola Lookman, Leon Balogun, Jordan Torunarigha , Omar Sadiq, Emmanuel Dennis, Kevin Akpoguma. Even Captain Ekong first game.

If you compare his DEBUT ( I no tok current form). He did similar or even better than these defenders...Balogun, Torunarigha, and Akpoguma at their debut.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Cellular wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:34 pm

No. Local coaches have probably done a lot of wrong things. I just draw the line at assuming that every decision that they make which is wrong is corrupt. You might turn out to be correct but let us give Finidi the benefit of the doubt in his first game.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

I am happy you know I am one for inviting local players. I was even one of those calling for a quota allocation of 2 players from our local league for which I received insults. :lol:

But I also want it to be strategic and for the purpose of strengthening the team, not just to give local players exposure. The reason I am not in support of Tanimu’s invitation was because he plays in a position where we are fairly strong With a couple of other players like Ogbu, Ndah, Ozornwafor and Osho also in the pipeline. I wouldn’t have shown any concern if Finidi had invited a left back or central midfielder to start with. These are the areas of obvious weakness that need strengthening.

Finally, I really want Finidi as the coach. I believe he has the right qualities to succeed as the SE coach if he sets his heart on doing the right thing. But he would not escape scrutiny like the others before him.

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Lolly wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:26 pm

I am happy you know I am one for inviting local players. I was even one of those calling for a quota allocation of 2 players from our local league for which I received insults. :lol:

But I also want it to be strategic and for the purpose of strengthening the team, not just to give local players exposure. The reason I am not in support of Tanimu’s invitation was because he plays in a position where we are fairly strong With a couple of other players like Ogbu, Ndah, Ozornwafor and Osho also in the pipeline. I wouldn’t have shown any concern if Finidi had invited a left back or central midfielder to start with. These are the areas of obvious weakness that need strengthening.

Finally, I really want Finidi as the coach. I believe he has the right qualities to succeed as the SE coach if he sets his heart on doing the right thing. But he would not escape scrutiny like the others before him.
I can't fault that.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I'm happy for Tanimu, and I wish the player success in his career, but there's no need to make stuff up to support a narrative...

First he got to start because the starters were injured. How do I know? The manager said so!

2ndly, he is not carrying the world on his shoulders. That is simply a figment of your imagination...He is simply a debutant, like any other debutant. He will live and die by his performances. That's what it was for him, for those before him and others to come...

Again, there's no need to make stuff up to support a narrative...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp