Watch Awaziem's reaction at the 3.52 mark

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Watch Awaziem's reaction at the 3.52 mark

Post by deanotito »

I try not to criticize players unjustly. What i look for are clear technical deficiencies or clear mental deficiencies. Once you see those, RUUUUUUNNNN. When you see those in your goalkeeper, run even faster...Cause there is no defense behind a goalkeeper

Akpeyi was at fault for his positioning on the free kick goal, but that is forgivable. What is unforgivable is the mental breakdown he had that led him to pick up that ball outside the box. I am confident he will never make that mistake again, but he will make others just as ridiculous. We should RUUUUNNNN

A wise man once told me that whenever you see a shoe drop, there is often a shoe factory coming just behind. We saw a shoe drop with Akpeyi today....If we wait for the shoe factory, the joke’s on us
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
dhoney
Egg
Egg

Post by dhoney »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Even the freekick Argentina scored , Akpeyi was 100 % at fault, why stand behind the wall? And then pop your head to see where the ball is.....kai what a massive akpere
Bros..you are on point. When I saw the highlight I was well.."it`s Akpeyi afterall". Surprisingly, you are the only person that has talked about this. It was really pathetic..!
And Jesus said to the only leper that came back to thank Him after He healed ten.... "Chai....na only you waka come?".
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

mcal wrote:...una sabi critic blindly, what has he done wrong there many other goalies before him have not done? The coach (and previous coaches) know better than y'all potbellied football fans.
Exactly, top keepers have done worst but akepyi looks like someone that may not have being able to pass an IQ test.

The guy is so stupid atimes.
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

1naija wrote:If Akpeyi was within slapping distance he would have received hot durty (not dirty o) slap from Awaziem. :rotf:

[/video]
It appears the referee had called an offside against Argentina and Akpeyi picked the ball and was going to place it on the spot...he was confused by the Argie player and ref. I don't know if it was supposed to be a foul against us or a new rule but I don't see what he did wrong there.
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

1naija wrote:
okuns wrote:We all know that Akpeyi is not it... Till this day, I am still wondering why Siasia took him to the Olympics.

Akpeyi made a horrible mistake on the first goal, but he was more tested than Uzoho and wasn't as bad overall if you take away the blunder and the first goal. Not making excuses for him but we should temper our criticism. To me, outside of the blunder, Ola Aina had worse game than Akpeyi. That's who I hope bounces back because the Argentines really took him to the cleaners. With the competition we have on the team at his position he will need to redeem himself very quickly. Another performance like today and he may not make it to Russia.

I think the entire team started poorly, but his performance really put the defense under immense pressure. I do think he will bounce back, as will Akpeyi. I would like to see Uzoho more to crown him the savior. He looked very confident in this game but so did Ezenwa against Cameroon in the our first match with them, yet today everyone has written him off.

Let's enjoy the victory, but I trust Rohr to make the best decision for the team.
My guy Akpeyi was bad for an international goalkeeper. He really was and it wasn't the goal alone. I noticed you supported him after the S.A. debacle and I did too but what I saw yesterday was not good. The bobo looked scared and wasn't confidence on the ball. He was bad. Let's call a spade a spade. Ezenwa he is a clown but you could have see from the games he has played that he is a confident player or should I say GK. For a goalkeeper trying to play his way back to the number 1 spot yesterday Akpeyi yab big time. With that said, IMHO Nzoho was tasted and passed but it was his first game and this after the team settled down. He needs to be tried again.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Sir V wrote:
1naija wrote:
okuns wrote:We all know that Akpeyi is not it... Till this day, I am still wondering why Siasia took him to the Olympics.

Akpeyi made a horrible mistake on the first goal, but he was more tested than Uzoho and wasn't as bad overall if you take away the blunder and the first goal. Not making excuses for him but we should temper our criticism. To me, outside of the blunder, Ola Aina had worse game than Akpeyi. That's who I hope bounces back because the Argentines really took him to the cleaners. With the competition we have on the team at his position he will need to redeem himself very quickly. Another performance like today and he may not make it to Russia.

I think the entire team started poorly, but his performance really put the defense under immense pressure. I do think he will bounce back, as will Akpeyi. I would like to see Uzoho more to crown him the savior. He looked very confident in this game but so did Ezenwa against Cameroon in the our first match with them, yet today everyone has written him off.

Let's enjoy the victory, but I trust Rohr to make the best decision for the team.
He messed up big time for picking that ball outside the box. That was a school boy mistake.
After he picked the ball, after the ref called foul, he pointed to the "D" as though it was legal for him to pick the ball up from the "D" area outside box 18. :lol:
I will take Ezenwa over Akpeyi because he looks nervous and uncertain. Ezenwa's problem comes in the 2nd half when he for no reason becomes erratic missing corners and rushing out for little reason which confirms that his concentration is not all there. Uzoho looked pretty assured and his full 6`5" height and frame will give the defenders more comfort. Barring any injuries, Uzoho will keep for us throughout the World Cup in Russia.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Uzoho
Ajiboye
Alampasu

Those are our three top goalkeepers for now.
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Uzoho
Ajiboye
Alampasu

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
GTFOH!!! 4king hungry agent
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Uzoho
Ajiboye
Alampasu

When last did you see Ajiboye or Alampasu play.

That you're wrong is nothing unusual, but there must be some benefit from occasional moments of introspection.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Akpeyi did not make just one mistake, he made a sequence of mistakes that has me concluding he even lacks the basic understanding of the rules of the game, which is compounded by his suspect ability.

1st mistake, you play to the whistle at all times. You do not act unless you are responding to the Ref's whistle. Even if the Line Judge raises his flag, he can, and must only act or react to the Ref's whistle, not the Line Judge's flag. The Ref did not blow his whistle.

As a goalie, you know you can only use your hands in your penalty box, so what was he thinking about when he decided to pick up a ball out of his penalty box?

These two school boy errors by Akpeyi are terribly embarrassing because it exposes a deep flaw in his understanding of the basic rules governing the game. But he makes even more stupid errors.

A free kick is given, the goalie has a responsibility of building a wall. Just watch the mess the makes of that. His team mates in the wall are looking lost as to where or what exact position he wants his wall. I was watching and saying that is not a wall, it as shambolic. The wall was poorly positioned.

Perhaps, the worst error of the lot was Akpeyi's standing position when the free kick was taken. The skill in taking the free kick is all about hitting the ball to get the speed, bend and dip to go over the wall and beat the goalie. The wall is there to stop the free kick from being a goal. If the free kick taker gets the speed, height, dip and swerve to beat the wall, he usually scores and we agree it was a brilliant free kick and there is nothing the goalie could.

A goalie at this level should never position himself in the position Akpeyi did. Akpeyi is supposed to cover his far post, whilst the wall covers his near post. When Aguero takes his free kick, Akpeyi is standing behind his wall, leaving a gaping goal for Aguero. Watch how Aguero effortlessly passes the ball into the empty far post.

Akpeyi's performance was embarrassing to me as a Nigerian and a SuperEagles fan. No surprise he was subbed off for the 2nd half.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

^^Aguero didn't score the freekick
A number of other players were subbed at halftime
I doubt it had anything to do with performance
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

achuzia-the-air-raid wrote:It appears the referee had called an offside against Argentina and Akpeyi picked the ball and was going to place it on the spot...he was confused by the Argie player and ref. I don't know if it was supposed to be a foul against us or a new rule but I don't see what he did wrong there.
I note same on this related thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=284365
The problem though was that although the assistant raised his flag, the referee did NOT blow for offsides.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:Even the freekick Argentina scored , Akpeyi was 100 % at fault, why stand behind the wall? And then pop your head to see where the ball is.....kai what a massive akpere
The positioning of the wall was atrocious.
And it’s usually the GK’s role to properly position the wall... :oops:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Waffiman wrote:Akpeyi did not make just one mistake, he made a sequence of mistakes that has me concluding he even lacks the basic understanding of the rules of the game, which is compounded by his suspect ability.

1st mistake, you play to the whistle at all times. You do not act unless you are responding to the Ref's whistle. Even if the Line Judge raises his flag, he can, and must only act or react to the Ref's whistle, not the Line Judge's flag. The Ref did not blow his whistle.

As a goalie, you know you can only use your hands in your penalty box, so what was he thinking about when he decided to pick up a ball out of his penalty box?

These two school boy errors by Akpeyi are terribly embarrassing because it exposes a deep flaw in his understanding of the basic rules governing the game. But he makes even more stupid errors.

A free kick is given, the goalie has a responsibility of building a wall. Just watch the mess the makes of that. His team mates in the wall are looking lost as to where or what exact position he wants his wall. I was watching and saying that is not a wall, it as shambolic. The wall was poorly positioned.

Perhaps, the worst error of the lot was Akpeyi's standing position when the free kick was taken. The skill in taking the free kick is all about hitting the ball to get the speed, bend and dip to go over the wall and beat the goalie. The wall is there to stop the free kick from being a goal. If the free kick taker gets the speed, height, dip and swerve to beat the wall, he usually scores and we agree it was a brilliant free kick and there is nothing the goalie could.

A goalie at this level should never position himself in the position Akpeyi did. Akpeyi is supposed to cover his far post, whilst the wall covers his near post. When Aguero takes his free kick, Akpeyi is standing behind his wall, leaving a gaping goal for Aguero. Watch how Aguero effortlessly passes the ball into the empty far post.

Akpeyi's performance was embarrassing to me as a Nigerian and a SuperEagles fan. No surprise he was subbed off for the 2nd half.
Akpeyi's basic errors do not even give us the opportnity to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I actually feel sorry for him.
Such schoolboy errors in front of the whole world. :oops: :oops: :oops:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Gotti wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
The positioning of the wall was atrocious.
And it’s usually the GK’s role to properly position the wall... :oops:
Uncle Gotti, regardless of the position of the wall, that was a well taken freekick just like Iheanacho's. The Argentine goalkeeper could not reach Nacho's curved ball because of his positioning. Not absolving Akpeyi from blame, but sometimes many on this board hear something and just repeat it without even thinking it through.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

1naija wrote:Uncle Gotti, regardless of the position of the wall, that was a well taken freekick just like Iheanacho's. The Argentine goalkeeper could not reach Nacho's curved ball because of his positioning. Not absolving Akpeyi from blame, but sometimes many on this board hear something and just repeat it without even thinking it through.
Uncle, I beg to disagree... :D

It’s NOTHING like Iheanacho’s free-kick, which actually had to beat the wall. The ‘proper’ way to position a wall is to have it cover the part of the goal that the GK is not covering. Benega’s free-kick was placed where the wall was not covering, and thus if Akpeyi was ‘properly’ positioned in the uncovered part, the ball would have come straight to him and probably been a routine catch. Instead, he started out by positioning himself where the wall was uncovered and then inexplicably took a step towards the covered part of the goal just as the kick was taken, creating a freeway to goal.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] My beef with Rohr over this goalkeeping matter is that he is doing everything within his power to make the situation worse

[2] Everyone knows that Akpeyi and Ezenwa are not up to the job and the emphasis is on finding someone better but alas, Rohr simply cannot let go of the two of them

[3] As fortune would have it, Francis Uzoho came through at Deportivo La Coruna and all Rohr had to do was capitalise on this

[4] Those of you who know how football works know that when a goalkeeper performs well at international level, it put pressure on his club. They then become hard-pressed to drop him

[5] Uzoho is fighting for the number one shirt at Deportivo La Coruna with Romanian international Costel Pantilimon

[6] Romania are well aware of this and started Pantilimon in both of their friendlies over the last week. He manned goal in yesterday's 3-0 loss to The Netherlands

[7] Pantilimon also manned goal for Romania when they beat Turkey on November 9. He came off in the 71st minute when the game was already secure with the coach trying out Florin Constantin of Steaua București, who was making his debut

[8] Those of you who have been following England must remember how the English footballing establishment pulled out all the stops to get Joe Hart a club when he was dropped by Manchester City. England kept playing him even when he was not featuring for his club

[9] Hart was sent on loan to Torino and is now on loan at West Ham. England have kept playing him all through in the hope that it will attract clubs

[10] Rohr cannot justify playing Ezenwa or Akpeyi ahead of Uzoho in the last two games. Just imagine if he had played in both matches and kept clean sheets, putting in wonderful performances. He would probably have made the number one shirt at Deportivo his own and that would have made him a sure bet for the Eagles after a great season
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Waffiman wrote:Akpeyi did not make just one mistake, he made a sequence of mistakes that has me concluding he even lacks the basic understanding of the rules of the game, which is compounded by his suspect ability.

The positioning of the wall was not bad actually. Go back and check the replay. The problem is that he did not trust his wall to do its job, and he took a massive gamble by taking a couple of steps to the side of the goal that the wall was supposed to protect and exposed his side.

I do agree that he has no business wearing the national team colors ever again based on his performances in several games. This level pass am.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

When defenders are balling out their GK, you know he is REALLY bad (usually the other way around).
kbt
Egg
Egg

Post by kbt »

1naija wrote:If Akpeyi was within slapping distance he would have received hot durty (not dirty o) slap from Awaziem. :rotf:

[/video]
Jeepers Keepers :scared:
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

whatever happenedd to that our right back who was playing in Serie A? Was in the Olympics team....
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:whatever happenedd to that our right back who was playing in Serie A? Was in the Olympics team....

Leftback - Stanley Amuzie.

Played both legs against Egypt in the ANC qualifiers. Held Salah in check for the most part, but lost him on the offside trap in the last minute in Kaduna and we got punished. Yet to add to him 2 SE caps since then.

Moved out on loan to Lugano in the Swiss league this season, but has not really settled into the side. I think he is a good player, but unless he gets a lot of games and has a really good 2018 Spring, the WC window might be closing for him.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I cannot understand how a player can become a pro without knowing basics like that. Even GKs at schoolboy level are taught on FKs to always stand where they can see the ball (so that the wall does not block them). What kind of madness propels a GK to stand on the same side of the goal as the wall is blocking?!

The other GK basic is know where you are at all times (i.e. knowing how far/close you are to the GK box, 6 yard box, goal line etc).
dhoney wrote:
Bros..you are on point. When I saw the highlight I was well.."it`s Akpeyi afterall". Surprisingly, you are the only person that has talked about this. It was really pathetic..!