Let's Review the "error" by Akpeyi......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Let's Review the "error" by Akpeyi...

Post by Waffiman »

balo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:E11, he did not make just one mistake, he made a sequence of mistakes that has me concluding he even lacks the basic understanding of the rules of the game, which is compounded by his suspect ability.

1st mistake, you play to the whistle at all times. You do not act unless you are responding to the Ref's whistle. Even if the Line Judge raises his flag, he can, and must only act or react to the Ref's whistle, not the Line Judge's flag. The Ref did not blow his whistle.

As a goalie, you know you can only use your hands in your penalty box, so what was he thinking about when he decided to pick up a ball out of his penalty box?

These two school boy errors by Akpeyi are terribly embarrassing because it exposes a deep flaw in his understanding of the basic rules governing the game. But he makes even more stupid errors.

A free kick is given, the goalie has a responsibility of building a wall. Just watch the mess the makes of that. His team mates in the wall are looking lost as to where or what exact position he wants his wall. I was watching and saying that is not a wall, it as shambolic. The wall was poorly positioned.

Perhaps, the worst error of the lot was Akpeyi's standing position when the free kick was taken. The skill in taking the free kick is all about hitting the ball to get the speed, bend and dip to go over the wall and beat the goalie. The wall is there to stop the free kick from being a goal. If the free kick taker gets the speed, height, dip and swerve to beat the wall, he usually scores and we agree it was a brilliant free kick and there is nothing the goalie could.

A goalie at this level should never position himself in the position Akpeyi did. Akpeyi is supposed to cover his far post, whilst the wall covers his near post. When Aguero takes his free kick, Akpeyi is standing behind his wall, leaving a gaping goal for Aguero. Watch how Aguero effortlessly passes the ball into the empty far post.

Akpeyi's performance was embarrassing to me as a Nigerian and a SuperEagles fan. No surprise he was subbed off for the 2nd half.
Banega.
Yep. Banega it is. My bad.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
asabatex
Egg
Egg
Re: Let's Review the "error" by Akpeyi......

Post by asabatex »

Akpeyi made 2 great saves, but his performance does not inspire confidence.
Uzoho made just one save, and he has a commanding presence.
wanaj0 wrote:
JssMan wrote:I don't think Akpeyi is being judged on this performance alone, but I also think we can be sentimental about our views at times. For example, everyone wanted Ogu out of the team when we played against Algeria, but when he scored a goal, he got in the good books of 'everyone'.

I didn't watch the game live, however, I was looking to see the heroic's performed by Uzoho for all the noise I heard about his performance in the 2nd half.
What I can honestly say is he was hardly tested. He had basic things to do which should be bread and butter for any goalkeeper at that level. What seemed to stand out however was how the goal kicks or ball throws seemed to find their targets. I would be delighted if these were not coincidences.
It is called confirmation bias. For someone you don't like you wait for him to commit a blunder to confirm that he is BAD

For someone you like, you see him do ONE good thing and use that as confirmation of how good he is.

Uzoho made one spectacular save. He was not really tested.

Akpeyi actually made more saves than Uzoho but no one will remember that because it does not fit the narrative that he is a POOR goalkeeper (he may actually be a poor goal keeper)
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] My beef with Rohr over this goalkeeping matter is that he is doing everything within his power to make the situation worse

[2] Everyone knows that Akpeyi and Ezenwa are not up to the job and the emphasis is on finding someone better but alas, Rohr simply cannot let go of the two of them

[3] As fortune would have it, Francis Uzoho came through at Deportivo La Coruna and all Rohr had to do was capitalise on this

[4] Those of you who know how football works know that when a goalkeeper performs well at international level, it put pressure on his club. They then become hard-pressed to drop him

[5] Uzoho is fighting for the number one shirt at Deportivo La Coruna with Romanian international Costel Pantilimon

[6] Romania are well aware of this and started Pantilimon in both of their friendlies over the last week. He manned goal in yesterday's 3-0 loss to The Netherlands

[7] Pantilimon also manned goal for Romania when they beat Turkey on November 9. He came off in the 71st minute when the game was already secure with the coach trying out Florin Constantin of Steaua București, who was making his debut

[8] Those of you who have been following England must remember how the English footballing establishment pulled out all the stops to get Joe Hart a club when he was dropped by Manchester City. England kept playing him even when he was not featuring for his club

[9] Hart was sent on loan to Torino and is now on loan at West Ham. England have kept playing him all through in the hope that it will attract clubs

[10] Rohr cannot justify playing Ezenwa or Akpeyi ahead of Uzoho in the last two games. Just imagine if he had played in both matches and kept clean sheets, putting in wonderful performances. He would probably have made the number one shirt at Deportivo his own and that would have made him a sure bet for the Eagles after a great season
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Enugu II wrote:The underline is embedded in most of the points made here about the guy. That really is the crux of the manner -- he is not evaluated as everyone else.
Each individual player should be evaluated individually...
And dude has cultivated any “bias” against him - at the Olympics and in several SE games. :D
Prof. makes it seem like it is a one-off thing.

Cell,

I thought that what we are evaluating is specifically his performance v Argentina and nothing else. That is what I thought we are evaluating i.e. how did he do v Argentina. Not how he has done as a GK for Nigeria. As for the error, it is a major one. There is no denying that but TBH we shall see similar errors with some of the other players in years to come. It happens.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

oloye wrote:
JssMan wrote:I don't think Akpeyi is being judged on this performance alone, but I also think we can be sentimental about our views at times. For example, everyone wanted Ogu out of the team when we played against Algeria, but when he scored a goal, he got in the good books of 'everyone'.

I didn't watch the game live, however, I was looking to see the heroic's performed by Uzoho for all the noise I heard about his performance in the 2nd half.
What I can honestly say is he was hardly tested. He had basic things to do which should be bread and butter for any goalkeeper at that level. What seemed to stand out however was how the goal kicks or ball throws seemed to find their targets. I would be delighted if these were not coincidences.
Fear nor allow me to even mention Uzoho...he gathered one harmless ball in the air and people here were ejaculating all over themselves , i rushed hone to see the boy wonder...truth Akpeyi made more saves than Uzoho.

I am not saying Akpeyi is better , i am just reporting what i saw. Akpeyi is not good enough no doubt about that, but as far as i am concerned the way people gang lynched the poor boy yesterday is typical of football fans! :lol:

Can you believe i ended calling the poor boy Akpereyi..all because of hearsay....i have been asking for forgiveness since yesterday.
He does not have the latitude you guys are affording him.
It is like someone being on his last demerit actually doing something a professional goalkeeper should NEVER do.
We have had players fans have castigated when given another chance redeem themselves.
He did not!

There are inexcusable offenses in football... like a defender passing the ball across his backline with a striker looming. Or making a backpass to the goalie towards the post... you are taught at very rudimentary level to pass away from your goal when back passing. You don't teach these things to a pro.

He is a bloody 'professional' goalie for crying out loud.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
okuns
Egg
Egg

Post by okuns »

I noticed Akpeyi handled the ball twice in the 6 sequence of events noted below:
1. An Argentine through lob did not connect with DiMaria
2. The play was not whistled dead for offside and the ball did not sail out of bounds
3. Akpeyi collected the wayward ball with his feet and kicked it a few feet
4. Picked up the ball within the 18-yd box and walked briefly with it
5. Dropped the ball and kicked it to a spot just outside the 18-yd box
6. Picked up the ball upon pressure from Aguero

Simply put, Akpeyi was not paying attention and the SE can afford this type of liability on the biggest stage.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

If they had left Akpeyi in goal they would have conceded 8.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

okuns wrote:I noticed Akpeyi handled the ball twice in the 6 sequence of events noted below:
1. An Argentine through lob did not connect with DiMaria
2. The play was not whistled dead for offside and the ball did not sail out of bounds
3. Akpeyi collected the wayward ball with his feet and kicked it a few feet
4. Picked up the ball within the 18-yd box and walked briefly with it
5. Dropped the ball and kicked it to a spot just outside the 18-yd box
6. Picked up the ball upon pressure from Aguero

Simply put, Akpeyi was not paying attention and the SE can afford this type of liability on the biggest stage.

KPOM
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] My beef with Rohr over this goalkeeping matter is that he is doing everything within his power to make the situation worse

[2] Everyone knows that Akpeyi and Ezenwa are not up to the job and the emphasis is on finding someone better but alas, Rohr simply cannot let go of the two of them

[3] As fortune would have it, Francis Uzoho came through at Deportivo La Coruna and all Rohr had to do was capitalise on this

[4] Those of you who know how football works know that when a goalkeeper performs well at international level, it put pressure on his club. They then become hard-pressed to drop him

[5] Uzoho is fighting for the number one shirt at Deportivo La Coruna with Romanian international Costel Pantilimon

[6] Romania are well aware of this and started Pantilimon in both of their friendlies over the last week. He manned goal in yesterday's 3-0 loss to The Netherlands

[7] Pantilimon also manned goal for Romania when they beat Turkey on November 9. He came off in the 71st minute when the game was already secure with the coach trying out Florin Constantin of Steaua București, who was making his debut

[8] Those of you who have been following England must remember how the English footballing establishment pulled out all the stops to get Joe Hart a club when he was dropped by Manchester City. England kept playing him even when he was not featuring for his club

[9] Hart was sent on loan to Torino and is now on loan at West Ham. England have kept playing him all through in the hope that it will attract clubs

[10] Rohr cannot justify playing Ezenwa or Akpeyi ahead of Uzoho in the last two games. Just imagine if he had played in both matches and kept clean sheets, putting in wonderful performances. He would probably have made the number one shirt at Deportivo his own and that would have made him a sure bet for the Eagles after a great season
How do you know they are well aware of this? Pretty certain you're just making that up.

Are you saying we should start Akpeyi to give him an edge over the 2nd choice at Chippa United??? This is ridiculous thinking.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote:Cell,

I thought that what we are evaluating is specifically his performance v Argentina and nothing else. That is what I thought we are evaluating i.e. how did he do v Argentina. Not how he has done as a GK for Nigeria. As for the error, it is a major one. There is no denying that but TBH we shall see similar errors with some of the other players in years to come. It happens.
Prof, you cannot eat your cake and have it... :D
You cannot accuse folks of a "bias" against Akpeyi and then pretend you don't know why.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gotti wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Cell,

Prof, you cannot eat your cake and have it... :D
You cannot accuse folks of a "bias" against Akpeyi and then pretend you don't know why.
Gotti,

I believe that one can make a judgment on one game without having it based on biases from other games. If not, it will be very difficult to get a good idea on how a player did in a particular game. For instance, is it not possible to say that Balogun had a poor game v Argentina and still acknowledge that he was Nigeria's best v Cameroon?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote:Gotti,

I believe that one can make a judgment on one game without having it based on biases from other games. If not, it will be very difficult to get a good idea on how a player did in a particular game. For instance, is it not possible to say that Balogun had a poor game v Argentina and still acknowledge that he was Nigeria's best v Cameroon?
Prof, you introduced the issue of "bias" so it has to be contextualized...

Without allowing for (or even providing) such context you make it appear (wittingly or otherwise) as if folks are simply harboring an unfathomable (and perhaps even unreasonable) "bias" against Akpeyi.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gotti wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Gotti,

You introduced the issue of "bias" so you have to contextual it...

Without allowing for (or even providing) the context you have made it appear (wittingly or otherwise) as if folks are simply harboring an unfathomable (and perhaps even unreasonable) "bias" against Akpeyi, when you are well aware that any such bias inextricably arises "from other games". Accordingly, it would be disingenuous to act baffled that folks do not view Akpeyi's error as some sort of isolated one-off incident, rather than the reality of what it factually is - merely the latest (and arguably the biggest) of a relatively consistent track record of errors. This btw is precisely the SAME reason that folks appeared to generally appear cut Balogun some slack in this one game - a "bias" (albeit favorable) arising "from other games" (of consistently solid performances).
But the context of these discussions was already there -- this one game and referred to on several occasions within the ongoing discourse. The idea of the bias, btw introduced by Oloye, was in reference to that context. It is clear that some folks are able to evaluate the players based on what such player did in THIS GAME game but others are unable. Note that Oloye, who did not watch the game live, believed that Akpeyi was AWFUL based on comments. But, alas, after watching the game he realized that those comments were overboard. Thus, he could only explain it, rightly so, with the concept of bias. That, I certainly agree with.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] My beef with Rohr over this goalkeeping matter is that he is doing everything within his power to make the situation worse

This will be England's undoing! Hart was the worst goalkeeper in Serie A last year and this year, he has shown that he is a horrendous goalkeeper. I hope they continue to play him :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

deanotito wrote:

How do you know they are well aware of this? Pretty certain you're just making that up.

Are you saying we should start Akpeyi to give him an edge over the 2nd choice at Chippa United??? This is ridiculous thinking.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

why are we even having this discussion sef? It is obvious the dude is a HORRIBLE GK.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Those defending this poor excuse for a keeper are clowns.

I have been watching Akpeyi very closely since I noticed he kicked a ball directly to a Luxembourg player which resulted in a goal I believe.

Basically he giftwraps at least 1 goal o'er game to the opponents and it is only a matter off if they take advantage or not.

Against SA he gave away another clear goal opportunity which they missed when he flapped on a "routine" cross.

Against Argentina was the last straw. Something is clearly wrong with the man he is just not cut out for this job.

I see nobody has mentioned his attempted clearance right into an onrushing Argie player.

We have been warned. Why on earth would u keep playing a keeper who makes at least one grave mistake per match. Do we want to just gift teams goals.

The guy has no confidence either. You can just tell by that worried look he always has on his face. Its like he just wants the 90 minutes to end. He looks Like he is being tortured.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

At first I was one of those who said that Akpeyi should not play for Nigeria. On second thoughts I am glad he played as it allowed him to show what an utter clown he can be in between the sticks. He managed to "showcase" his poor play to an extent that hopefully sends him into international retirement. Can you imagine if he did stuff like that in a competitive game?

It was embarrassing listening to the BEIN Sports commentators laughing about his play in the second half - 30-45 minutes after Akpeyi had been subbed off. It utterly baffled them.

Akpeyi - get rid. The guy is a bomb scare.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Akpeyi had a nightmare moment. It would have been better to kick the ball away and protest. Heck I might have given him the benefit of the doubt had he not picked up the ball a second time and Aguero took it and did whatever including score. Really surprised he wasn't booked. I even doubt his offside excuse. Either he lost attention there or something or someone distracted/misguided him. That said he's a victim of confirmation bias but not without his consent.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Let's Review the "error" by Akpeyi...

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
Waffiman wrote:E11, he did not make just one mistake, he made a sequence of mistakes that has me concluding he even lacks the basic understanding of the rules of the game, which is compounded by his suspect ability.

1st mistake, you play to the whistle at all times. You do not act unless you are responding to the Ref's whistle. Even if the Line Judge raises his flag, he can, and must only act or react to the Ref's whistle, not the Line Judge's flag. The Ref did not blow his whistle.

As a goalie, you know you can only use your hands in your penalty box, so what was he thinking about when he decided to pick up a ball out of his penalty box?

These two school boy errors by Akpeyi are terribly embarrassing because it exposes a deep flaw in his understanding of the basic rules governing the game. But he makes even more stupid errors.

A free kick is given, the goalie has a responsibility of building a wall. Just watch the mess the makes of that. His team mates in the wall are looking lost as to where or what exact position he wants his wall. I was watching and saying that is not a wall, it as shambolic. The wall was poorly positioned.

Perhaps, the worst error of the lot was Akpeyi's standing position when the free kick was taken. The skill in taking the free kick is all about hitting the ball to get the speed, bend and dip to go over the wall and beat the goalie. The wall is there to stop the free kick from being a goal. If the free kick taker gets the speed, height, dip and swerve to beat the wall, he usually scores and we agree it was a brilliant free kick and there is nothing the goalie could.

A goalie at this level should never position himself in the position Akpeyi did. Akpeyi is supposed to cover his far post, whilst the wall covers his near post. When Aguero takes his free kick, Akpeyi is standing behind his wall, leaving a gaping goal for Aguero. Watch how Aguero effortlessly passes the ball into the empty far post.

Akpeyi's performance was embarrassing to me as a Nigerian and a SuperEagles fan. No surprise he was subbed off for the 2nd half.

Waffi,

On the error above, I think the highlighted took place because he thought it was a free kick. In such a case there is no rule that prevents you from placing the ball with your hands. In fact, in his mind he probably was wondering why there is no call about "Aguero not giving him the requisite 10 yards." The major error is therefore not playing to the whistle which then, predictably, led to the subsequent ones.

On the free kick: Actually, I think Akpeyi's positioning in the free kick was poorly interpreted by the commentators, IMHO. However, I agree that he did not take control positioning the wall if I recall correctly.

On positioning. This is my thought (I may be giving him credit but I do so because he is an experienced goalie): He covered the far side away from the wall which would have meant (in his mind) that the kicker would aim to hit above the wall for goal. Thus, at the last moment, he believes that this is the kicker's option and that he would make a quick move to the other side where he expects the ball in order to make a surprising save. Unfortunately, the kicker fails to take the bait and drives the ball to the space that he had just vacated. Though unconventional, some goalies make choices like this. Recall Nigeria's Garba Lawal goal against Spain in 1998 where the goalie anticipates a cross and makes a move but Lawal, instead, choose to shoot. Also, note Claudio Taffarell's antics on pks where he chooses not to position himself at the center of the goal but to one side to force the kicker to have just one option. The point is that such cat and mouse play is in fact part of the game. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Akpeyi lost that free kick sequence. Note the choice of the Argentina goalie on Kelechi's free kick. He chooses the conventional, which meant he was late to get the ball because Kele chooses to go over the wall instead.

First, HE THOUGHT;

Then, IN HIS MIND;

and finally, HE BELIEVES

I once heard this parable in Ikot Ekpene:

If you keep scratching your butt, you will eventually dig up something :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Whenever I've seen Akpeyi in goal, I am inexorably drawn to his legs.

Shakira says hips don't lie.

A goalie's feet tell you the truth.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp