Let's Review the "error" by Akpeyi......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Let's Review the "error" by Akpeyi......

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote:The underline is embedded in most of the points made here about the guy. That really is the crux of the manner -- he is not evaluated as everyone else.
Each individual player should be evaluated individually...
And dude has cultivated any “bias” against him - at the Olympics and in several SE games. :D
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:I believe pinpointing the error is not easy. Here are two situations that I would like to point to:

1). Akpeyi believed that Di Maria had been called for off sides. Possibly, the LM raised a flag (Don't know since the cameras did not show this) but even then he should have confirmed it if the referee whistled. Here, I assume the referee did none of that. Nevertheless, Akpeyi makes the assumption (error) and picks up the ball and places it for a free kick outside the box. But Aguero (noticing that there was no whistle) challenges and Akpeyi, instead of kicking away, proceeds to pick up the ball in protest that Aguero had not given the required 10-yard space for the supposed free kick. The referee then calls a foul on Akpeyi for handling outside the box but does not give an expected caution for deliberate handling.

2) The commentators claimed (That is what I thought I also heard) that Akpeyi picked up the ball after the referee had whistled for the game to be re-started. This I do not believe. However, if he did, why was there no whistle on Aguero for violating the space required for the free kick?

The above are just my interpretation. What are yours?
Come on Prof. he is a FREAKING PROFESSIONAL! There are errors in judgement you should NEVER make as a professional.

If that was a real game, it would have been a Red Card and a FK to boot.

In pro ball, you get cut right there on the field... and won't even be allowed to take the team bus back to the facility.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Gotti wrote:
Enugu II wrote:The underline is embedded in most of the points made here about the guy. That really is the crux of the manner -- he is not evaluated as everyone else.
Each individual player should be evaluated individually...
And dude has cultivated any “bias” against him - at the Olympics and in several SE games. :D
Prof. makes it seem like it is a one-off thing.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Rohr needs to be read the riot act. He cannot keep embarrassing us by fielding such players. How won't they think we Africans are primitive savages who do not have the intellectual capacity to understand the game when the likes of Akpeyi are playing for our national team.

This was the last time I saw an African player do something similar on the international stage:
Sounds to me like you are either embarrased to be an African or you read too much into what others think of you

Frankly,I could care less...point is Akpeyi was poor, nothing to do with African or not, how do you then explain the naive defending of a team that was leading 2-0 and then coughed up 4 in succession

Africa my arse
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
JssMan
Egg
Egg

Post by JssMan »

I don't think Akpeyi is being judged on this performance alone, but I also think we can be sentimental about our views at times. For example, everyone wanted Ogu out of the team when we played against Algeria, but when he scored a goal, he got in the good books of 'everyone'.

I didn't watch the game live, however, I was looking to see the heroic's performed by Uzoho for all the noise I heard about his performance in the 2nd half.
What I can honestly say is he was hardly tested. He had basic things to do which should be bread and butter for any goalkeeper at that level. What seemed to stand out however was how the goal kicks or ball throws seemed to find their targets. I would be delighted if these were not coincidences.

Jh8: 34Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

E11 you are losing your credibility defending Akpeyi. The guy is garbage. If I were Rhor, I would start looking into the likes of Femi Thomas, David Nwokolo and other HB keepers. The GK coach(the French guy not Agu) needs to get to work and scout for at least 1 more GK. Ezenwa is safe for now but even he has to look over his shoulder cos he was very poor vs Algeria. THis is the WC. We have a team that has the potential to go far but all that can be undone by a useless goalkeeper and that is what Akpeyi is.

Right now the 3 GK going to Russia ought to be Uzoho, ?????, ?????
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

What people fail to realize is that there are errors that are simply unforgivable. They show a deeper problem...I said on another thread that I do not believe Akpeyi would ever make that mistake again. BUT I 100% believe he would make others just as ridiculous.

He made a mistake with his positioning on the resulting free kick, but that is forgivable. But errors such as picking up that ball are pretty dangerous....I am not for punishing players. There wasn't a player on the field that didn't make a mistake...However, I am for recognizing deficiencies in ability or capacity. And mistakes can be instructive in recognizing those

Its kinda like that card game we played as kids when we would say "last card"...Last Card was essentially a warning to the opponent. Akpeyi essentially told us "Last Card" with that error...if we like, make we no hear.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

JssMan wrote:I don't think Akpeyi is being judged on this performance alone, but I also think we can be sentimental about our views at times. For example, everyone wanted Ogu out of the team when we played against Algeria, but when he scored a goal, he got in the good books of 'everyone'.

I didn't watch the game live, however, I was looking to see the heroic's performed by Uzoho for all the noise I heard about his performance in the 2nd half.
What I can honestly say is he was hardly tested. He had basic things to do which should be bread and butter for any goalkeeper at that level. What seemed to stand out however was how the goal kicks or ball throws seemed to find their targets. I would be delighted if these were not coincidences.
It is called confirmation bias. For someone you don't like you wait for him to commit a blunder to confirm that he is BAD

For someone you like, you see him do ONE good thing and use that as confirmation of how good he is.

Uzoho made one spectacular save. He was not really tested.

Akpeyi actually made more saves than Uzoho but no one will remember that because it does not fit the narrative that he is a POOR goalkeeper (he may actually be a poor goal keeper)
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

JssMan wrote:I don't think Akpeyi is being judged on this performance alone, but I also think we can be sentimental about our views at times. For example, everyone wanted Ogu out of the team when we played against Algeria, but when he scored a goal, he got in the good books of 'everyone'.

Fear nor allow me to even mention Uzoho...he gathered one harmless ball in the air and people here were ejaculating all over themselves , i rushed hone to see the boy wonder...truth Akpeyi made more saves than Uzoho.

I am not saying Akpeyi is better , i am just reporting what i saw. Akpeyi is not good enough no doubt about that, but as far as i am concerned the way people gang lynched the poor boy yesterday is typical of football fans! :lol:

Can you believe i ended calling the poor boy Akpereyi..all because of hearsay....i have been asking for forgiveness since yesterday.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

But he's NOT "being judged on this performance alone"...
But on an established track record, of which this performance merely adds to.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

oloye wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Didn't watch the game live but I just finished watching it and I don't see why everybody wants Akpeyi's head. Yes,he made that mistake but I see it as a freak error that had more to do with nerves than being stupid. He did ok
The bit of the game i watched , walahi i was pleading forgiveness for a number of people whose commentaries i followed. The way they were abusing the guy (they forced me to join sef :D ), i thought everytime the ball came to Akpeyi, he got beaten.

See me see trouble i checked only to see the poor guy actually making saves and blocking shots, none of which the wailers failed to acknowledge. I have come to the conclusion, that in this world, if you have bad luck that makes people to hate you, it does not matter how many positives you have, they would only see the negative, in fact they would wait hours, days, months, years even centuries papa just to record that one error which they would use against you.

Akpeyi might not be good enough, but there is a bias against him from the fans, he is one of those players that can never do anything that fans will appreciate...good luck to him sha...poor Akpere...oops i mean Akpeyi, see what peer pressure has done to poor me
Was watching to see the many comical errors he made. Was surprised to be seeing saves.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

oloye wrote:

Fear nor allow me to even mention Uzoho...he gathered one harmless ball in the air and people here were ejaculating all over themselves , i rushed hone to see the boy wonder...truth Akpeyi made more saves than Uzoho.

I am not saying Akpeyi is better , i am just reporting what i saw. Akpeyi is not good enough no doubt about that, but as far as i am concerned the way people gang lynched the poor boy yesterday is typical of football fans! :lol:

Can you believe i ended calling the poor boy Akpereyi..all because of hearsay....i have been asking for forgiveness since yesterday.
Uzoho made one spectacular save. It look easy because of the span of his arms.

That said, Akpeyi made more saves than Uzoho in the match!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

wanaj0 wrote:It is called confirmation bias. For someone you don't like you wait for him to commit a blunder to confirm that he is BAD

For someone you like, you see him do ONE good thing and use that as confirmation of how good he is.

Uzoho made one spectacular save. He was not really tested.

Akpeyi actually made more saves than Uzoho but no one will remember that because it does not fit the narrative that he is a POOR goalkeeper (he may actually be a poor goal keeper)
Bros, you and Prof should realize that "bias" is not necessarily incompatible with truth or facts... :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wanaj0 wrote:
oloye wrote:

It wasn't a spectacular save, it was down the middle, he is supposed to tip that over, its a routine save you see happen time and time again, haba!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

oloye wrote:Fear nor allow me to even mention Uzoho...he gathered one harmless ball in the air and people here were ejaculating all over themselves , i rushed hone to see the boy wonder...truth Akpeyi made more saves than Uzoho.

You folks should quit trying to confuse issues by conflating Akpeyi with Uzoho... :lol:

Like I said to Prof above, the performance of individual players can be evaluated solely on individual basis and merits. Accordingly, Akpeyi can have be properly adjudged to have suffered a poor game (judged solely on its individual merits), particularly for someone with his track record and experience, without Uzoho necessarily having a blinding performance. If anything, the relative confidence exhibited by such a young GK as Uzoho (a trait of relatively great importance for the position) was an unflattering contrast to the now customary jitteriness once again exhibited by Akpeyi, a player that has much greater international and club experience.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Akpeyi is terrible...even worse. I don't know what Prof EII at al are trying to say. Dude is poorer than poor...and consistently so.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

maceo4 wrote:It wasn't a spectacular save, it was down the middle, he is supposed to tip that over, its a routine save you see happen time and time again, haba!
But Bros, it's only "routine" only if you actually make it so...
You drop a harmless ball (and SAs run onto it) or pick up a ball o/side the box, no longer "routine"! :D
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Gotti wrote:
maceo4 wrote:It wasn't a spectacular save, it was down the middle, he is supposed to tip that over, its a routine save you see happen time and time again, haba!
But Bros, it's only "routine" only if you actually make it so...
You drop a harmless ball (and SAs run onto it) or pick up a ball o/side the box, no longer "routine"! :D
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: For all of Akpeyi's uselessness, he would have saved that header, but then again, dude might end up tipping it into his own net Ejide style :D
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

wanaj0 wrote:Was watching to see the many comical errors he made. Was surprised to be seeing saves.
Saves?! As in plural? :lol:
Apart from the time he spread himself against Di Maria, everything else was (as per Maceo) 'routine'!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Enugu II wrote:I believe pinpointing the error is not easy. Here are two situations that I would like to point to:

1). Akpeyi believed that Di Maria had been called for off sides. Possibly, the LM raised a flag (Don't know since the cameras did not show this) but even then he should have confirmed it if the referee whistled. Here, I assume the referee did none of that. Nevertheless, Akpeyi makes the assumption (error) and picks up the ball and places it for a free kick outside the box. But Aguero (noticing that there was no whistle) challenges and Akpeyi, instead of kicking away, proceeds to pick up the ball in protest that Aguero had not given the required 10-yard space for the supposed free kick. The referee then calls a foul on Akpeyi for handling outside the box but does not give an expected caution for deliberate handling.

2) The commentators claimed (That is what I thought I also heard) that Akpeyi picked up the ball after the referee had whistled for the game to be re-started. This I do not believe. However, if he did, why was there no whistle on Aguero for violating the space required for the free kick?

I agree ...
And you are right Akpeyi was not as bad as he was made out to be ..
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Your explanation was what I will call a brain freeze situation by Akpeyi. For me, the problem was what he did after the brain freeze. Life happens so how you respond or react to an error for me is usually more important than the error. In this case, he basically left his goal post wide open after setting up his wall and practically invited Banega to pass the ball into the corner of the net. That was inexplicable for a 31 yr old pro. Time is of the essence and we have other options that are less risky so Akpeyi has to go. If someone scores a world-class fk (as Mesi did vs Enyema) you live with it. But what you cannot excuse is shooting yourself in the foot for the heck of it. No way Jose.

Besides we can't afford two 'Ezenwa quality' goalies :lol: ... It's either one or the other. Frankly I don't care because they're both not good enough but will will take at least one along with Uzoho plus a third option (Alamps or Enyeama if he gets fit).
Last edited by green4life on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Let's Review the "error" by Akpeyi...

Post by Waffiman »

platinum wrote:
Waffiman wrote:E11, he did not make just one mistake, he made a sequence of mistakes that has me concluding he even lacks the basic understanding of the rules of the game, which is compounded by his suspect ability.

1st mistake, you play to the whistle at all times. You do not act unless you are responding to the Ref's whistle. Even if the Line Judge raises his flag, he can, and must only act or react to the Ref's whistle, not the Line Judge's flag. The Ref did not blow his whistle.

As a goalie, you know you can only use your hands in your penalty box, so what was he thinking about when he decided to pick up a ball out of his penalty box?

These two school boy errors by Akpeyi are terribly embarrassing because it exposes a deep flaw in his understanding of the basic rules governing the game. But he makes even more stupid errors.

A free kick is given, the goalie has a responsibility of building a wall. Just watch the mess the makes of that. His team mates in the wall are looking lost as to where or what exact position he wants his wall. I was watching and saying that is not a wall, it as shambolic. The wall was poorly positioned.

Perhaps, the worst error of the lot was Akpeyi's standing position when the free kick was taken. The skill in taking the free kick is all about hitting the ball to get the speed, bend and dip to go over the wall and beat the goalie. The wall is there to stop the free kick from being a goal. If the free kick taker gets the speed, height, dip and swerve to beat the wall, he usually scores and we agree it was a brilliant free kick and there is nothing the goalie could.

A goalie at this level should never position himself in the position Akpeyi did. Akpeyi is supposed to cover his far post, whilst the wall covers his near post. When Aguero takes his free kick, Akpeyi is standing behind his wall, leaving a gaping goal for Aguero. Watch how Aguero effortlessly passes the ball into the empty far post.

Akpeyi's performance was embarrassing to me as a Nigerian and a SuperEagles fan. No surprise he was subbed off for the 2nd half.

Banega took the freekick.

I agree wholly with you. If a goalie like Akpeyi who has been kicking about for a while is making errors like that, he has no business being in the NT. Those are not things you learn at national level.
Yep! My bad. Banega took the freekick.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

maceo4 wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
oloye wrote:

It wasn't a spectacular save, it was down the middle, he is supposed to tip that over, its a routine save you see happen time and time again, haba!
Una too like grammar, i never mentioned spectacular saves ,you did. Now i said he made nore saves than Uzoho, that is what is under dispute. :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho