Australia qualify for World Cup with 3-1 win over Honduras

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Australia qualify for World Cup with 3-1 win over Honduras

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/ro ... index.html

Great job Socceroos. Now come on New Zealand and complete the Down Under brace!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Australia qualify for World Cup with 3-1 win over Hondur

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=201 ... odule_news

I am very pleased for them. Oceania is one part of the world where football is actually growing in popularity. Come on now New Zealand!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Well done!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

I thought Australia joined AFC in order to avoid these kinds of playoffs? Are they back in Oceania now?
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Orion wrote:I thought Australia joined AFC in order to avoid these kinds of playoffs? Are they back in Oceania now?

Asia and Concacaf have a play-off. Oceania's play-off is with Conmebol.
charlie
Egg
Egg
Who watched Australia v Honduras

Post by charlie »

The referee just gave a real ojoro penality to Australia for their 2nd goal.
Its tough being a 3rd world, non-white country in world football. I feel bad for honduras.

See for yourself: 3:20
[/video]
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Who watched Australia v Honduras

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

charlie wrote:The referee just gave a real ojoro penality to Australia for their 2nd goal.
Its tough being a 3rd world, non-white country in world football. I feel bad for honduras.

[/video]
That was clear handball. I fail to see the race issue here.

Was the penalty awarded against Nigeria in Algeria any worse? Was the penalty awarded against Northern Ireland at home to Switzerland any worse?

We need to be careful with the way we keep reducing every incidence to race. Australia beat Honduras fair and square!
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
charlie wrote:The referee just gave a real ojoro penality to Australia for their 2nd goal.

[/video]

Was the penalty awarded against Nigeria in Algeria any worse? Was the penalty awarded against Northern Ireland at home to Switzerland any worse?

We need to be careful with the way we keep reducing every incidence to race. Australia beat Honduras fair and square!
The ball hit his feet then bounced to touch his hand. Text book definition of incidental contact.

Even the Australians were suprised that was called. In anycase, that 2nd goal changed the game in Australia's favor.
Its an issue because it is not the first time that we have seen bias in referees when big teams are playing smaller teams.

Even the 2nd penalty he gave for the 3rd goal is debatable. Yes there was contact, but the Australian went down like a sack of potatoes once he felt it. That said, I cannot blame the referee for awarding the penalty on the 3rd goal.

Just my opinion, Honduras was screwed by that 1st penalty call.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

charlie wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

[/video]

The ball hit his feet then bounced to touch his hand. Text book definition of incidental contact.

Even the Australians were suprised that was called. In anycase, that 2nd goal changed the game in Australia's favor.
Its an issue because it is not the first time that we have seen bias in referees when big teams are playing smaller teams.

Even the 2nd penalty he gave for the 3rd goal is debatable. Yes there was contact, but the Australian went down like a sack of potatoes once he felt it. That said, I cannot blame the referee for awarding the penalty on the 3rd goal.

Just my opinion, Honduras was screwed by that 1st penalty call.
Nigeria had two such penalties given against her during the qualifiers. One in Yaounde and one in Constantine. Both were highly debatable. My point is that sometimes calls do not go your way but please, it is just human error, nothing more.

I fail to see some grand plot here as you appear to be alleging. If Fifa wanted to rig things would they have allowed Sweden to knock our Holland and Italy?