GERNOT ROHR ON GOALKEEPERS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: GERNOT ROHR ON GOALKEEPERS

Post by The YeyeMan »

Odas wrote:While at it, why did the Argentina's keeper concede four goals in the game? By conceding such number of goals, doesn't it mean he is worse than Akpeyi?
The Argentine keeper is Argentina's concern. Akpeyi is Nigeria's.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
anointed wrote:No link for this as this from another forum as written word for word by UK-based Naija journo, Osasu Obayiuwana
By the way, I had a quick exchange of messages with Gernot... Uzoho has clearly impressed him.
As for Akpeyi? Let me say that he's not out of the frame yet. Surprising, right? But I suppose that with the goalkeeping problem, he is not keen to cut anyone loose yet.
But he knows that the Nigerian public are not happy with Akpeyi's performance, so far.
He's going to give all the keepers more games before he makes up his mind...
"The most important [thing] today is that I found a good young gk..."
anointed,

TBH, I would not cut Akpeyi based on yesterday but the truth is that Akpeyi is not making a good case to be on the team. Yesterday he had the opportunity to rebound but he instead had an average game but he was not as bad as being projected here on CE. Fact is the jury is still out on Uzoho because it is just one game but he did impress and he is built just like any one would want a goalie to be built.
Actually, Akpeyi is THAT bad.

There's nothing to work with. What exactly is his upside?
His shot stopping abilities?
His command of his area?
Ability to arrange and direct his defence?
Aerial ability?
Awareness?
Football IQ?
Youth?
Ability to learn?
Ability to inspire confidence?

What exactly does he have to be retained?

Each game he keeps he shows he lacks the abilities listed above.

I don't understand why our people have an affinity for stupid players. Is there a twisted sense of satisfaction from watching these kinds of players?

It appears almost certainly that one would have to resort to prayer warriors for spiritual protection on the GK issue at this WC...

Apkeyi, Ezenwa...next will be Ajibobo...I'm waiting for EII to rank him also!!!!

Nonsense!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] My beef with Rohr over this goalkeeping matter is that he is doing everything within his power to make the situation worse

[2] Everyone knows that Akpeyi and Ezenwa are not up to the job and the emphasis is on finding someone better but alas, Rohr simply cannot let go of the two of them

[3] As fortune would have it, Francis Uzoho came through at Deportivo La Coruna and all Rohr had to do was capitalise on this

[4] Those of you who know how football works know that when a goalkeeper performs well at international level, it put pressure on his club. They then become hard-pressed to drop him

[5] Uzoho is fighting for the number one shirt at Deportivo La Coruna with Romanian international Costel Pantilimon

[6] Romania are well aware of this and started Pantilimon in both of their friendlies over the last week. He manned goal in yesterday's 3-0 loss to The Netherlands

[7] Pantilimon also manned goal for Romania when they beat Turkey on November 9. He came off in the 71st minute when the game was already secure with the coach trying out Florin Constantin of Steaua București, who was making his debut

[8] Those of you who have been following England must remember how the English footballing establishment pulled out all the stops to get Joe Hart a club when he was dropped by Manchester City. England kept playing him even when he was not featuring for his club

[9] Hart was sent on loan to Torino and is now on loan at West Ham. England have kept playing him all through in the hope that it will attract clubs

[10] Rohr cannot justify playing Ezenwa or Akpeyi ahead of Uzoho in the last two games. Just imagine if he had played in both matches and kept clean sheets, putting in wonderful performances. He would probably have made the number one shirt at Deportivo his own and that would have made him a sure bet for the Eagles after a great season
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Ayo,
I stand with Rohr on the use of the goalkeepers in the matches against Algeria and Argentina. Ezenwa, despite his gaffe against Cameroun away, had a decent game against Zambia and deserved another start in a match Rohr took seriously in Constantine. It also made sense to start Akpeyi in the Argentina game to see his form after the South African debacle in Uyo. Uzoho had to come in in the second half. Besides, the national team is not a shopping window for any particular player's club aspirations. A player earns that on the club's training pitch. National team appearances are supposed to be a reward for good club form and a positive track record on national duty (something Uzoho is just starting).
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Obong wrote:Ayo,
I stand with Rohr on the use of the goalkeepers in the matches against Algeria and Argentina. Ezenwa, despite his gaffe against Cameroun away, had a decent game against Zambia and deserved another start in a match Rohr took seriously in Constantine. It also made sense to start Akpeyi in the Argentina game to see his form after the South African debacle in Uyo. Uzoho had to come in in the second half. Besides, the national team is not a shopping window for any particular player's club aspirations. A player earns that on the club's training pitch. National team appearances are supposed to be a reward for good club form and a positive track record on national duty (something Uzoho is just starting).
What good has starting Ezenwa and Akpeyi done Nigeria?
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

This is comedy.

Did anyone really expect Rohr to come out and say Akpeyi's career is done? What he told Osasu was coachspeak.

There is no coming back for Akpeyi. Stick a fork in him....done!
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

You cant teach an old dog new tricks, the keeper was woeful to say the least, very elementary, those 2 goals were avoidable goals, he is not good at all
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If Uzoho does not get the number one shirt at Deportivo over the coming weeks, he may have to move somewhere on loan in January. I hope Rohr is thinking along these lines.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Uzoho height alone ... I haven't seen a tall Nigerian goalie like that...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Benedict Iroha wrote:Uzoho height alone ... I haven't seen a tall Nigerian goalie like that...

Emmanuel Okala
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Enugu II wrote:
anointed wrote:No link for this as this from another forum as written word for word by UK-based Naija journo, Osasu Obayiuwana
By the way, I had a quick exchange of messages with Gernot... Uzoho has clearly impressed him.
As for Akpeyi? Let me say that he's not out of the frame yet. Surprising, right? But I suppose that with the goalkeeping problem, he is not keen to cut anyone loose yet.
But he knows that the Nigerian public are not happy with Akpeyi's performance, so far.
anointed,

TBH, I would not cut Akpeyi based on yesterday but the truth is that Akpeyi is not making a good case to be on the team. Yesterday he had the opportunity to rebound but he instead had an average game but he was not as bad as being projected here on CE. Fact is the jury is still out on Uzoho because it is just one game but he did impress and he is built just like any one would want a goalie to be built.
After the draws in December, we can only have 2 friendlies b4 in the March window before the team list is submitted to FIFA in May, meaning we can give opportunities to 4 goalies in 2 games. If Enyeama comes into the fray, one of Ezenwa and more likely Akpeyi may never have the opportunity to be tried again.

The odds are against our Naija based goalies cos as I said earlier their performances at this level is an I.dictment on our coaches considering also that it is only when these goalies go out of the country that the step to the next level.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

In my opinion i think Rohr had intended to bring in Uzoho at the rhalf regardless of Akpeyi's performace in the first half.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

anointed wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
anointed,

After the draws in December, we can only have 2 friendlies b4 in the March window before the team list is submitted to FIFA in May, meaning we can give opportunities to 4 goalies in 2 games. If Enyeama comes into the fray, one of Ezenwa and more likely Akpeyi may never have the opportunity to be tried again.

The odds are against our Naija based goalies cos as I said earlier their performances at this level is an I.dictment on our coaches considering also that it is only when these goalies go out of the country that the step to the next level.

This list does not have to be submitted in May as soon as camp opens. I think Fifa give you about two weeks to the tournament to submit the list. The World Cup starts on June 14, so I suspect teams will have until June 1 to submit their lists.

I believe the NFF is looking to open camp around May 17, with at least three matches played before the list is submitted. Coming on top of the two earmarked in March, this will mean five games in total.

After that, one or two more matches will be organised after the list has been announced just be to fine-tune things. The last game will likely be in Russia itself.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
anointed wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
anointed,

This list does not have to be submitted in May as soon as camp opens. I think Fifa give you about two weeks to the tournament to submit the list. The World Cup starts on June 14, so I suspect teams will have until June 1 to submit their lists.

I believe the NFF is looking to open camp around May 17, with at least three matches played before the list is submitted. Coming on top of the two earmarked in March, this will mean five games in total.

After that, one or two more matches will be organised after the list has been announced just be to fine-tune things. The last game will likely be in Russia itself.
The preliminary list should be in b4 May 21.
Each team must first name a preliminary squad of 30 players. From the preliminary squad, the team must name a final squad of 23 players (three of whom must be goalkeepers) by the FIFA deadline. Players in the final squad may be replaced due to serious injury up to 24 hours prior to kickoff of the team's first match, where the replacement players do not need to be in the preliminary squad.[41]

For players named in the 30-player preliminary squad, there is a mandatory rest period between 21 and 27 May 2018, except for those involved in the 2018 UEFA Champions League Final played on 26 May.[42]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Trying to defend Akpeyi is defending the indefensible... Nacho's freekick went 'over' the wall and dipped. The keeper made a great attempt but covering and entire goalpost is a task no keeper can do.

On the other hand Akpeyi arrange a feeble wall, takes up a central position, then moves in the direction of the wall leaving a gaping hole for the striker to 'place' the ball through....

Unfortunately even Ezenwa lacks the aura of a world class keeper. Anytime he receives a backpass, most fans will have their hearts in their mouths. His showboating and theatrics are so unnecessary and this unsettles the back 4. Against Algeria he flapped at everything.

IMHO Rohr needs to dump Akpeyi, relegate Ezenwa to no.3 and find another keeper who can compete with Uzoho for the no.1 spot.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

If any of Ezenwa or Akpeyi is on the team, they should remain on the bench with a fastened seat belt
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

My respect for Rohr continues to grow with how he's handled our goalkeeping situation, thus far. Until he finds a suitable alternative to Akpeyi, he's got to continue to back him and give him confidence.

Having said that, it's quite clear that Daniel Akpeyi and Ikechukwu Ezenwa are simply not at the level required for the World Cup. Rohr and the Nigerian coaching staff need to be more aggressive in looking for other options.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ugbowo wrote:This is comedy.

Did anyone really expect Rohr to come out and say Akpeyi's career is done? What he told Osasu was coachspeak.

There is no coming back for Akpeyi. Stick a fork in him....done!

Noooooooo how will Odas and danfo pay their bills next month? :scared:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

1naija wrote:In my opinion i think Rohr had intended to bring in Uzoho at the rhalf regardless of Akpeyi's performace in the first half.

I think that's quite clear.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Odas wrote:While at it, why did the Argentina's keeper concede four goals in the game? By conceding such number of goals, doesn't it mean he is worse than Akpeyi?
My brother I beg help me tell am o. I no know wetin concern agbero with overload...smh
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Robbynice wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
My brother I beg help me tell am o. I no know wetin concern agbero with overload...smh
And the logic is quite silly too.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Mr Shows wrote:Trying to defend Akpeyi is defending the indefensible... Nacho's freekick went 'over' the wall and dipped. The keeper made a great attempt but covering and entire goalpost is a task no keeper can do.

On the other hand Akpeyi arrange a feeble wall, takes up a central position, then moves in the direction of the wall leaving a gaping hole for the striker to 'place' the ball through....

Unfortunately even Ezenwa lacks the aura of a world class keeper. Anytime he receives a backpass, most fans will have their hearts in their mouths. His showboating and theatrics are so unnecessary and this unsettles the back 4. Against Algeria he flapped at everything.

IMHO Rohr needs to dump Akpeyi, relegate Ezenwa to no.3 and find another keeper who can compete with Uzoho for the no.1 spot.
Why did a "well positioned" keeper have to cover the entire length of the post? Does that make sense to you? How is stating what actually happened in the game defending anyone?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

1naija .... 101 basics in goalkeeping is that you use the wall to shield one end of the post and the man the otherside.... That is why world class players try and get the ball over the wall knowing the keeper will be too far away to stop the ball going in.... this is exactly what Nacho did..... now watch closely from the 28 secs mark...observe the quality of the wall he put together, his positioning and movement...

[/video]

Absolute rubbish!!