GERNOT ROHR ON GOALKEEPERS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
GERNOT ROHR ON GOALKEEPERS

Post by anointed »

No link for this as this from another forum as written word for word by UK-based Naija journo, Osasu Obayiuwana
By the way, I had a quick exchange of messages with Gernot... Uzoho has clearly impressed him.
As for Akpeyi? Let me say that he's not out of the frame yet. Surprising, right? But I suppose that with the goalkeeping problem, he is not keen to cut anyone loose yet.
But he knows that the Nigerian public are not happy with Akpeyi's performance, so far.
He's going to give all the keepers more games before he makes up his mind...
"The most important [thing] today is that I found a good young gk..."
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: GERNOT ROHR ON GOALKEEPERS

Post by Enugu II »

anointed wrote:No link for this as this from another forum as written word for word by UK-based Naija journo, Osasu Obayiuwana
By the way, I had a quick exchange of messages with Gernot... Uzoho has clearly impressed him.
As for Akpeyi? Let me say that he's not out of the frame yet. Surprising, right? But I suppose that with the goalkeeping problem, he is not keen to cut anyone loose yet.
But he knows that the Nigerian public are not happy with Akpeyi's performance, so far.
anointed,

TBH, I would not cut Akpeyi based on yesterday but the truth is that Akpeyi is not making a good case to be on the team. Yesterday he had the opportunity to rebound but he instead had an average game but he was not as bad as being projected here on CE. Fact is the jury is still out on Uzoho because it is just one game but he did impress and he is built just like any one would want a goalie to be built.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Enugu II wrote: Fact is the jury is still out on Uzoho because it is just one game but he did impress and he is built just like any one would want a goalie to be built.
KPOM KWEM! Uzoho definitely looks the part but he will have to get more games for us to see what he can do.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Robbynice wrote:
Enugu II wrote: Fact is the jury is still out on Uzoho because it is just one game but he did impress and he is built just like any one would want a goalie to be built.
KPOM KWEM! Uzoho definitely looks the part but he will have to get more games for us to see what he can do.
TBH,

From what I saw of him yesterday, the guy may prove to be the all time solution for SE. His height and wing span is impressive and his composure very good. But I just want to see him under fire for in additional games.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

:lol: :lol: :lol: All it will take for Uzoho to come under the wrath of the shifting fans is just one or two below par showings. Even the Enyeama they are singing today..agghhh let us not dig up what was said about his flapping ways , when we were being told Aiyenugba was better until Guinea shot down that moment of drunken stupor from the fans :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

I don't expect anyone to be cut off just yet, not this early.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:
anointed wrote:No link for this as this from another forum as written word for word by UK-based Naija journo, Osasu Obayiuwana
anointed,

TBH, I would not cut Akpeyi based on yesterday but the truth is that Akpeyi is not making a good case to be on the team. Yesterday he had the opportunity to rebound but he instead had an average game but he was not as bad as being projected here on CE. Fact is the jury is still out on Uzoho because it is just one game but he did impress and he is built just like any one would want a goalie to be built.
Actually, Akpeyi is THAT bad.

There's nothing to work with. What exactly is his upside?
His shot stopping abilities?
His command of his area?
Ability to arrange and direct his defence?
Aerial ability?
Awareness?
Football IQ?
Youth?
Ability to learn?
Ability to inspire confidence?

What exactly does he have to be retained?

Each game he keeps he shows he lacks the abilities listed above.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

I think Akpeyi will make it to Russia but as the third Gk. personally I think it will be Uzoho, Ezenwa, and Akpeyi. I really do not see how Enyeama will make the train but then wetin small pikin like me know... :twisted:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
anointed,

Actually, Akpeyi is THAT bad.

There's nothing to work with. What exactly is his upside?
His shot stopping abilities?
His command of his area?
Ability to arrange and direct his defence?
Aerial ability?
Awareness?
Football IQ?
Youth?
Ability to learn?
Ability to inspire confidence?

What exactly does he have to be retained?

Each game he keeps he shows he lacks the abilities listed above.
Cell,

He is neither Okala nor is he Enyeama. What he is being compared to is the goalie that we currently have -- Ezenwa. Uzoho has promise but we have not seen enough. If we conclude in one game, I ask you to unearth the view of this very SE after Akpeyi game v South Africa that ended in a 1-1 tie a few years ago. Views swing wildly here.

Akpeyi is indeed a shot stopper but he is very jittery. However, my point is that yesterday he was not as bad as being portrayed here. You go back and look at that video he made two errors (FK and one where he hit ap player with the ball) but he also made two saves. The commentators claiming that he should have challenged on that second goal is pure BS considering where the ball was and the fact that it was swung away from goal to the right. His positioning on the FK was not as bad as being projected. You hardly will make any saves in such a high quality game if you do not cheat by positioning because no one is faster than the ball particularly if the ball is hit close to you from the such a distance for that FK.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

It was one half, but for me the composure of a goalkeeper is 50% of the job, and Uzoho showed the kind of composure you would expect from a 30 year old.
Like Robbynice said, there is no upside to Akpeyi. He's 31, what you see now is all you are going to see.
Uzoho is 19.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Robbynice wrote:I think Akpeyi will make it to Russia but as the third Gk. personally I think it will be Uzoho, Ezenwa, and Akpeyi. I really do not see how Enyeama will make the train but then wetin small pikin like me know... :twisted:
You may think you be small pikin but even small pikin know say 'form is temporary, class is permanent'
Enyeama is not 50 years old, so why on earth would he not regain both form and class once he fully recovers from injury?
We like to discard good tinz for Naija sha.... :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I am going with Uzoho. Period. Even if he chops four in our next game with a few howlers, I shall stick by him and work on his flaws. For me, the chopping and changing has ended.

This is how Spain opted for the teenage Iker Casillas and Italy opted for the 19-year old Gigi Buffon. In 1973, Father Tiko settled for the 21-year old Emmanuel Okala and stuck with him despite having a plethora of goalkeepers like Joseph Erico, Pinner Abode, Peter Fregene, etc to chose from.

Enough of the merry-go-round. Rohr had no business starting Akpeyi yesterday!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

what's going on here? For anyone who thinks Akpeyi is good enough for any of our national teams needs to pay close attention

first of the guy is 31 years old( will be 32 in 2018)
He lacks confidence, he has stage fright , he has no clue on how to organize his defense, both goals where 100% his fault

He stood behind his wall and popped his head out ( Goalies do not stand behind the walls, they stand at the opposite end to see the ball)

the 2nd goal was just comical, Dybala played a lovely threaded throw ball, all Akpeti needed to do, was rush out to put him off, but no he stood there shaking his legs and covering just the near post, my goodness, that was it. His distributions where awful and not one single goal kick made it to his team mates ....

We donot need such in this era

I actually feel sorry for him and he has the face you just wanna show empathy to .... but bobo no be am
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/twitter- ... 3zg08o68ew

people aren't having it anymore

someone said he smoked something before the match :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

For those here to say that 'Aktrousious' needs another chance really need to top up on their medication.

He lacks the fundamental basics of the game, talk less of goalkeeping

How can you in your right mind, pick up the ball outside your penalty area whilst the referee has not blown his whistle to stop play?
I cringed with embarrassment and my mind went immediately back to '74......absolutely no excuse whatsoever.......school kids don't make that error!!!

And to top it that, he couldn't even organise his wall and position himself properly for the free-kick
The wall is on the right side, so why are you not covering your left goal side......Argentina couldn't believe their luck!!!!Ray Charles could have scored.....

If he ever smells this squad again, I won't be watching the SE at the mundial, because it would be a complete waste of time.
Let him watch youtube to learn the fundamentals of the game and goalkeeping........nonsense
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Akpeyi cannot be defended.

I had already cut him from the team before this match.

Talk less of not cutting him because of this match. I don't even know how he managed to get this chance in the first place.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Tbite wrote:Akpeyi cannot be defended.

I had already cut him from the team before this match.

Talk less of not cutting him because of this match. I don't even know how he managed to get this chance in the first place.
....this to me just proves that there are elements around the team being handed brown paper envelopes.... :cry: :cry:
this wreaks of corruptive elements.......I have not time for such rubbish anymore
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

On that goal, perharps can you guys give the guy who took the freekick credit for a nicely taken freekick?
Why are we always ready to cut someone for the simplest of mistakes ?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Robbynice wrote:I think Akpeyi will make it to Russia but as the third Gk. personally I think it will be Uzoho, Ezenwa, and Akpeyi. I really do not see how Enyeama will make the train but then wetin small pikin like me know... :twisted:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
not surprised by your 'wengerbabe' type statement.......

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Enugu II wrote:
anointed,

:agree: :agree: :clap: :clap: :clap: The first goal we conceded yesterday was clearly Akpeyi's fault. However, I wonder if he saw the ball coming. The second goal wasn't his fault because any keeper could have conceded the goal. Either way, observation continues in general - in my opinion. Thus, let the fighting for number one (1) shirt continue and we will see how it will all end-up
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

bamenda boy wrote:On that goal, perharps can you guys give the guy who took the freekick credit for a nicely taken freekick?
Why are we always ready to cut someone for the simplest of mistakes ?

[1] Why concede the free kick in the first place?
[2] Look at the pathetic wall he built
[3] see how he moved the wrong way when the kick was taken
[4] The ball went in exactly where he should have been standing
[5] This is not even the first time he has made such blunders
[6] He is what we call a calamity. Remember the goal Higuita gifted Cameroon in 1990? Akpeyi is always doing that
[7] In Yoruba, Akpere means basket, so we call him Akpereyi
[8] Akpeyi is not among Nigeria's top six goalkeepers at the moment
[9] Gernot Rohr is just picking him out of sentiments, not on merit
[10] If we ever see Akpereyi in the green-white-green again, we the fans will make our feelings known to Rohr
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

He’s a pathetic keeper!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Odas wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
anointed,

:agree: :agree: :clap: :clap: :clap: The first goal we conceded yesterday was clearly Akpeyi's fault. However, I wonder if he saw the ball coming. The second goal wasn't his fault because any keeper could have conceded the goal. Either way, observation continues in general - in my opinion. Thus, let the fighting for number one (1) shirt continue and we will see how it will all end-up
dude......did you not see the highlights?
:roll: