4 Players who could gatrcrash the WC squad

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 4 Players who could gatrcrash the WC squad

Post by danfo driver »

The YeyeMan wrote:
theYemster wrote:
ANC wrote:Awoniyi may be the first legit striker SE have ever produced. I have high hopes for him
Not sure why people keep bringing up Joel Obi.
Probably because he's a good player who features in a good team in a top European league, and plays a position in which we're lacking. Might be that.

We are? Thats news to me. While one can argue that Joel is better than the current guys in his position, but there is simply no basis to claim that we are lacking in that position.

the 6 presently are:

Mikel
Etebo
Onazi
Ndidi
Agu
Ogu

Invited to compete:

Agbo
C Nwakali
The guy at Zamalek, cant remember his name now

That is 9 players.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

joao wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:Osimhen, Nwakali and Awoniyi are the future of the SE, Not the immediate future though.... WC is 7 months away.
Of these three, only Nwakali Jr have shown maturity. All he needs is exposure at a higher level.
The issue is time is not on their side when you consider we are almost halfway through the football season and there are only a handful of FIFA windows to try new players out.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Apart from Ighalo, who else can hold the ball up for Nigeria?
But Ayo, you are assuming that the coach cares about "hold up play." What if the coach doesnt? And doesnt want his strikers to hold up play? Have you considered that? Someone like Guardiola for instance doesnt seem to care much about that and Lewandowski suffered under him.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

smartbrother wrote:Taking Joel Obi to the world cup is like placing a punctured spare tyre in the trunk of your car
We have what, two , three friendly internationals left?
And you want to waste them trying out a player who is certain to be injured during or before the world cup?
this is just crazy to me
To you, perhaps! But to those who have been hired to secure him a spot on the team, it is just normal course of business. :D
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

john12 wrote:What’s with ayo and hold ball nonsense? Strikers are there to score goals idk why his so optimistic about holding ball. This is the same nonsense that issue was doing in Eagles. Holding ball instead of scoring. For me Kelechi is eagles best striker his game to goal ratio was very good 2years ahi under pellegrini and he was doing it by playing as a top 9. Create chances for Kelechi and he would score. He doesn’t need to know how to hold the ball to core goals. Our top 2 strikers are Kelechi and ighalo if they get injured then we can find newer replacements

These are the coaches Ayo has loved:

Bryan Robson
Berti Vogts

That needs to tell you the type of tactics Ayo loves. "run down the byline, pull in a cross... the big man up there heads it down to the small man, the small man kicks it in! goal!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

joao wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:Osimhen, Nwakali and Awoniyi are the future of the SE, Not the immediate future though.... WC is 7 months away.
Of these three, only Nwakali Jr have shown maturity. All he needs is exposure at a higher level.
I hope you are NOT asking for the WC to be used for exposure! He has the opportunity to be exposed at Eredivisie or that club called Arsenal that keeps throwing him out on loan.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

danfo driver wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
anointed wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
ANC wrote:Awoniyi may be the first legit striker SE have ever produced. I have high hopes for him
Not ready yet
In four years time he could be a force to be reckoned with
Taiwo Awoniyi is actually one striker who is playing week-in-week-out at Royal Excel Mouscron. He has scored four goals so far this season. I fail to understand why he is not yet ready for the World Cup.
Not sure why you keep pushing these unproven strikers as if it is a matter of course that they should be and are ready for the WC.
Awoniyi and Osimhen are young gems still trying to establish themselves.
There is absolutely no evidence to suggest they are anywhere near ready to do the business on the greatest soccer stage of all - the WC.

The youngsters England is experimenting with are at least playing regularly in one of the top 3 leagues in the world (the EPL) and face players of world class week in, week out. Same cannot be said for these two young men. Even Uzoho who is in their age bracket that we have given a chance is slightly different in that he is a GK, plays in Spain and is pushing for a place where we have a serious crisis.

It is difficult to explain how you can justify parachuting these two rookies in right at the deep end and expect them to perform just like that.
Ayo and knee jerk players.

To pick players like Awoniyi and Osimhen, they have to be exceptional at club level and/or there has to be an acute dearth of personnel in their national team positions.

...which there currently is!

Okay. lets stop speaking in a vacuum.

Please, list the players you'd drop from the current [perceived] 23, in order to include the 7 -8 players you have mentioned. That way, we can have a proper discussion/argument on it. Because right now, you are just throwing names out like you think we have 48 slots available. We have just 23. Usually 3 of those are goalkeepers. So we actually have just 20.

Please, list the 7-8, you will drop. And please, let your list be reasonable. Dont go and drop all the defenders to select strikers! That doesnt work, every team will take defenders, midfielders and strikers to the world cup.

waiting your response. thanks.
Go and check my thread about my 23-man squad
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Go and check my thread about my 23-man squad

I just did. Thanks for sharing
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Waffiman wrote:
Yiba wrote:
Dammy wrote:
4. Felix Uduikhai: Another player that adds value to the squad. He seems to be leaning towards opting for Nigeria as his recent decisions to not attend the German U20 squad and his non listing for the recent German U21 friendly internationals suggest. A young top quality CD, who could complete the WC quartet of CDs alongside Ekong, Awaziem and Balogun.
In the 2018 WC squad, I believe there will be no room for passengers and every player must be able to contribute to the team's success.
My guy, CE should be a medium for knowledge and not speculation. The reason why Udo did not make his debut for Germany U-21 was due to his knee problems. He came to Munich recently to have it treated by the famous Dr.Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt. Get your facts right before you post!
I did a google search and I noted Felix Uduikhai is indeed seeing Dr.Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt. I must admit, this news has me worried he will opt for Germany.

However, I do not question Dammy's reasoning and analysis, indeed I am largely in line with his thinking, although he does not mention it, I think he also factored in the key proviso of the position and the quality of the current competition in that position in the squad. I believe there is room for improvement in our wide and creative positions, just like I believe there is room for improvement to the backups players in the CD positions and of course the Goalie position. But I think any striker not in the mix right now, is at a huge disadvantage in getting into the WC sqaud.

In view of the above, I will add Kelechi Nwankali to his list as an outside gamble, whilst removing Isaac Success.
If I were a gambling man, I would say Oshimen will nick it for the last striker role. Not because he is at Wolfsburg, but taking a chance on a guy who just seems to score each time he gets a chance in their friendlies. He would appear to be a natural predator and many WC coaches are know to stake a neck out on a hunch. I have a feeling (and there is not scientific or logical reasoning to it), that he will be the wildcard in the final 23.
To stop trying is to start dying
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

:blink: :blink: >???? :atc:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

Dammy wrote:These are indeed interesting times to be a SE fan. The team is playing well and on a high and Rohr has made competition for places intense. Over the next 7-8 months, players will be trying their best to catch his eye and I have identified 4 players who could add quality to a squad that is already full of quality.
1. Noel Sarenren-Bazee: If not for injury, he would have made his debut for the SE. He is highly rated in Germany and considered a steal for Nigeria. His game has been likened to that of Man City's Leroy Sane. Rohr went to personally convince him to switch to Nigeria and I believe he will give him a chance. He is back in full training with Hannover and if he keeps fit and is in form, he could gatecrash the 23 man WC squad.
2.Joel Obi: This is a no brainer, a fit Joel goes to the WC. He is young and has a lot of experience in Serie A, UCL abd UEL. He has been on top form this season and has added goals to his game. His return from Injury has lifted his club, Torino, and that is the impact that he is having. He adds value to the squad and even if not starting, the fact that he is on the bench gives confidence to me as an SE fan,
3. Isaac Success: A fit Success adds value to the squad, his pace, power and trickery gives the SE options in attack. He can operate from either wing or from the center. His advisors have spoken to him and he has promised to clean up his act and be more professional after he recovers from his recent surgery,
4. Felix Uduikhai: Another player that adds value to the squad. He seems to be leaning towards opting for Nigeria as his recent decisions to not attend the German U20 squad and his non listing for the recent German U21 friendly internationals suggest. A young top quality CD, who could complete the WC quartet of CDs alongside Ekong, Awaziem and Balogun.
In the 2018 WC squad, I believe there will be no room for passengers and every player must be able to contribute to the team's success.
Udokhai did not attend the german U-21 national team because he suffered from a knee irritation.
He wants to play for Germany.
It is just not true he skipped the german U-21 team because he wants to play for Nigeria.
We should forget about him.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Probably because he's a good player who features in a good team in a top European league, and plays a position in which we're lacking. Might be that.

Every time I hear Joel Obi, I become scared of getting injured sitting on my couch....
Buy a new couch?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

danfo driver wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
theYemster wrote:

We are? Thats news to me. While one can argue that Joel is better than the current guys in his position, but there is simply no basis to claim that we are lacking in that position.

the 6 presently are:

Mikel
Etebo
Onazi
Ndidi
Agu
Ogu

Invited to compete:

Agbo
C Nwakali
The guy at Zamalek, cant remember his name now

That is 9 players.
Lacking in quality, not numbers.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

danfo driver wrote:If he is fit and playing, i'd be shocked if he misses out. I actually forgot about him, but you are right! the fact that Rohr personally convinced him to play, gives him and edge. it means Rohr is wants him.

If he can push Musa or Simon out, the better. Or who knows, the coach can decide to take Musa as his 3rd Striker behind Iheanacho and Ighalo. I'd have prefered Kayode for that 3rd position (since Osimehn hasnt played much), but I dont think Rohr will drop Musa and take Kayode
Bazee? Tell your client to get fit, start scoring goals, and we'll consider him - the door is closing fast. :D
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

The way I see it, the competition is down to a very few places. If we say 3GK, 4CD, 2LB, 2RB, 4CM, 2LW, 2RW & 4 FW, then here is what I see from those I have watched and who have played so far:

GK
1. Uzoho
2. Ezenwa
3. Akpeyi/Alampasu. - For me, the coach has seen enough of Alampasu to have written him off by his recent non invitation. Except someone fantastic comes along between now and March, Akpeyi will make the trip.

Central Defence
4. Balogun
5. Ekong
6. Awoziem
7. Omerua - This is the one position up for grabs. His experience might count and he did seem very assured when he came on against Argentina. The fact he's also seeing regular first team football will definitely help his cause. Again, someone will have to have an outstanding next 3 months in a very good team to break into the squad. Highly unlikely if you ask me.

Right Backs
8. Shehu
9. Ebuehi - Both could easily start and they give the coach lovely options as Ebuehi fits the formation if we have to keep it tight at the back, while Shehu gives you lungs and an extra attacking impetus if you need to score more goals. I doubt anyone will shake the apple cart in this position before March.

Left Backs
10. Aina
11. Idowu - Both new, and both have done well. More importantly, both right footed with the ability to use the left foot. I think Echiejile will still have an opportunity to play himself off the roster, but to be in it, he will have one heck of a season from now on. Another position where a newbie with a fantastic left foot can stake a claim. If we have not found them till now, I doubt one will magically show up.

Central Midfield
12. Mikel
13. Ndidi
14. Onazi
15. Ogu/Agu - I like Ogu, so I might be biased here, but I think this tournament is coming a bit early for Agu. For me, Ogu's ruthless efficiency and presence will earn him the place, but will not be surprised should he miss out.

Left Midfield
16. Iwobi
17. Simon Moses - I've put both on the left because they have started from there in several games for the SE and are adaptable. They will constantly interchange with the guys on the right because the four who will go will have the ability to play anywhere along the frontline.

Right Midfield
18. Victor Moses
19. Onyeakaru/Musa - To me this comes down to who bangs in more goals between now and March. The two formations we have played under Rohr suggests a need to have goal threats all along the frontline. One of these will miss out. Its a toss up.

Strikers
20. Ighalo
21. Iheanacho
22. Nwakeme/Kayode
23. Oshimen - I have a sneaky feeling (and that's all it is) that Oshimen is well regarded by Rohr and so long as he trains with the first team and plays some cup games, he will make the roster. The boy has a knack for scoring in his club's friendlies which suggests a keen eye for goal. A lot of WC coaches usually take one gamble. I hope this will be Rohr's. Form will seal the deal for either Kayode or Nwakeme.

It will be a long shot for anyone else to make the final 23.
To stop trying is to start dying
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Smart countries don't take developing players to a World Cup. The exceptions would be a Messi, a Pele or a Maradona. In defense, you must be crazy to go an experiment with a young player
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

DAgrin wrote:
Dammy wrote:These are indeed interesting times to be a SE fan. The team is playing well and on a high and Rohr has made competition for places intense. Over the next 7-8 months, players will be trying their best to catch his eye and I have identified 4 players who could add quality to a squad that is already full of quality.
1. Noel Sarenren-Bazee: If not for injury, he would have made his debut for the SE. He is highly rated in Germany and considered a steal for Nigeria. His game has been likened to that of Man City's Leroy Sane. Rohr went to personally convince him to switch to Nigeria and I believe he will give him a chance. He is back in full training with Hannover and if he keeps fit and is in form, he could gatecrash the 23 man WC squad.
2.Joel Obi: This is a no brainer, a fit Joel goes to the WC. He is young and has a lot of experience in Serie A, UCL abd UEL. He has been on top form this season and has added goals to his game. His return from Injury has lifted his club, Torino, and that is the impact that he is having. He adds value to the squad and even if not starting, the fact that he is on the bench gives confidence to me as an SE fan,
3. Isaac Success: A fit Success adds value to the squad, his pace, power and trickery gives the SE options in attack. He can operate from either wing or from the center. His advisors have spoken to him and he has promised to clean up his act and be more professional after he recovers from his recent surgery,
Udokhai did not attend the german U-21 national team because he suffered from a knee irritation.
He wants to play for Germany.
It is just not true he skipped the german U-21 team because he wants to play for Nigeria.
We should forget about him.
Thanks for the info.
I am happy
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

The YeyeMan wrote:
danfo driver wrote:If he is fit and playing, i'd be shocked if he misses out. I actually forgot about him, but you are right! the fact that Rohr personally convinced him to play, gives him and edge. it means Rohr is wants him.

If he can push Musa or Simon out, the better. Or who knows, the coach can decide to take Musa as his 3rd Striker behind Iheanacho and Ighalo. I'd have prefered Kayode for that 3rd position (since Osimehn hasnt played much), but I dont think Rohr will drop Musa and take Kayode
Bazee? Tell your client to get fit, start scoring goals, and we'll consider him - the door is closing fast. :D
Did you say the same thing to your boy Joel Obi?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

nzeogwu wrote:Smart countries don't take developing players to a World Cup. The exceptions would be a Messi, a Pele or a Maradona. In defense, you must be crazy to go an experiment with a young player

Franz Beckanbauer was 20 when he featured for Germany in the 1966 World Cup. Beckenbauer played every match. In his first game against Switzerland, he scored twice in a 5–0 win.

At the age of 20, while still playing in the Italy under-21 side, Franco Baresi was named in Italy's 22-man squad for the 1980 European Championship.

At the age of 19, Celestine Babayari played for Nigeria during the France 98 World Cup

At the age of 17, Rigobert played for Cameroon at France 98

I can go on and on.

I do not even know why I am having this conversation with you as take it or leave it, our defence will be manned by youngsters come the World Cup:

Francis Uzoho - 19
Chidozie Awaziem - 20
Tyronne Ebuehi - 21
Ola Aina - 21
Shehu Abdullahi - 24
William Ekong - 24

I can only suggest that you look for another team to support come the World Cup. Maybe an ageing side like Argentina where the likes of Otamendi and Mascherano will get repeatedly done for pace!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

The YeyeMan wrote:

To be clear, if its up to me, Bazee will have to wait until September 2018. My statements was regarding what I think Rohr will do, ince Rohr chased him.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

theYemster wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

theYemster wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Ah ah Joel is fit and playing at least for now, lets pray his injuries reduce going forward, but if I was advising that bobo I'd tell him not to increase the stress on his body by adding NT games.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

theYemster wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Yes, except for the scoring goals part.

How's your boy Osimhen doing btw? Call up dey for card? :D
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024