Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:57 pm
Posts: 452
Etebo has done nothing. He doesn't deserve to go to Russia.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Posts: 53021
Location: United Kingdom
paj wrote:
So..based on ONE friendly Idowu walks right into the lb spot ahead of those who have played the position before? :rotf: :rotf: This guy is playing AYO wiff our squad :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:


There should be a special place in hell for all those of you who believe the criteria for being selected is how long you have been with the team for or how many previous caps you have. The logic to that argument is that Christian Chukwu and Segun Odegbami should still be playing.

I am still perplexed as to how some people can even suggest that we use junk players who gave us heart in the mouth moments whenever they touched the ball. We have found better replacements and instead of saying let us improve on them, I am hearing let us go back to our vomit.

For me, anyone who still wants the likes of Ezenwa, Akpeyi, Echiejile, Musa, etc in the squad is just an enemy of Nigetia. If had my way they would be tried for treason!

_________________
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:03 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:18 pm
Posts: 9272
The YeyeMan wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Echiejile is going to the WC, and so is Moses Simon. You don't take such a risk with a player like Echiejile in favor of untested Aina and Idowu. Unless he's injured, he is going. He may eventually lose the starting job...but he will be on the roster.

Putting Kayode on the list is a huge leap. He won't make it IMO.

Nope. Echiejele's place is in doubt. People should listen to what Rohr says and does. He hasn't tried out two different left backs in the last couple of games just for fun.


It will be sad though :cry: he also mysteriously missed the last WC after participating in most of the qualifier and acquainting himself well.

_________________
Image
“When you’re in an argument with a thug, there are things much more important than civility.”- Benjamin DeMott


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Posts: 53021
Location: United Kingdom
furiously frank wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Echiejile is going to the WC, and so is Moses Simon. You don't take such a risk with a player like Echiejile in favor of untested Aina and Idowu. Unless he's injured, he is going. He may eventually lose the starting job...but he will be on the roster.

Putting Kayode on the list is a huge leap. He won't make it IMO.

Nope. Echiejele's place is in doubt. People should listen to what Rohr says and does. He hasn't tried out two different left backs in the last couple of games just for fun.


It will be sad though :cry: he also mysteriously missed the last WC after participating in most of the qualifier and acquainting himself well.


That is life:

(1)) In 2002, Santiago Canizares dropped his shaving bottle on his foot a few weeks to the World Cup and missed out
(2) In 2006, Kingston Laryea picked up a red card in the Nations Cup and missed out. Four years later, he was not the same player and got dropped
(3) In 1998, Paul Gascogne got dropped because he had not fully recovered from injury
(4) In 1998, Ike Shorunmu got dropped because he injured his finger in a warm-up game against Germany
(5) In 2014, Ike Uche and Joel Obi got dropped because they had not sufficiently regained full fitness following injuries
(6) In 1998, Jero Shakpore missed out after breaking his collar bone while actually in France training with the team
(7) In 1998, David Ginola and Eric Cantona missed out on the World Cup because the public failed to forgive them for costing France her appearance at USA 94 with that 1-2 home loss to Bulgaria
(8) In 2010, Mikel Obi missed out despite arriving in South Africa with the team after he was deemed not to have recovered sufficiently
(9) In 2002, Finidi, Oliseh, Akanji and Egbo were all dropped at the last minute
(10) In 1994, Nail Quinn picked up an injury that ruled him out despite being the leading scorer in the qualifiers

You cannot be sentimental about these matters. Every team must go to the World Cup with its best and most in-form players

_________________
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:33 pm
Posts: 6993
The way I see it, the competition is down to a very few places. If we say 3GK, 4CD, 2LB, 2RB, 4CM, 2LW, 2RW & 4 FW, then here is what I see from those I have watched and who have played so far:

GK
1. Uzoho
2. Ezenwa
3. Akpeyi/Alampasu. - For me, the coach has seen enough of Alampasu to have written him off by his recent non invitation. Except someone fantastic comes along between now and March, Akpeyi will make the trip.

Central Defence
4. Balogun
5. Ekong
6. Awoziem
7. Omerua - This is the one position up for grabs. His experience might count and he did seem very assured when he came on against Argentina. The fact he's also seeing regular first team football will definitely help his cause. Again, someone will have to have an outstanding next 3 months in a very good team to break into the squad. Highly unlikely if you ask me.

Right Backs
8. Shehu
9. Ebuehi - Both could easily start and they give the coach lovely options as Ebuehi fits the formation if we have to keep it tight at the back, while Shehu gives you lungs and an extra attacking impetus if you need to score more goals. I doubt anyone will shake the apple cart in this position before March.

Left Backs
10. Aina
11. Idowu - Both new, and both have done well. More importantly, both right footed with the ability to use the left foot. I think Echiejile will still have an opportunity to play himself off the roster, but to be in it, he will have one heck of a season from now on. Another position where a newbie with a fantastic left foot can stake a claim. If we have not found them till now, I doubt one will magically show up.

Central Midfield
12. Mikel
13. Ndidi
14. Onazi
15. Ogu/Agu - I like Ogu, so I might be biased here, but I think this tournament is coming a bit early for Agu. For me, Ogu's ruthless efficiency and presence will earn him the place, but will not be surprised should he miss out.

Left Midfield
16. Iwobi
17. Simon Moses - I've put both on the left because they have started from there in several games for the SE and are adaptable. They will constantly interchange with the guys on the right because the four who will go will have the ability to play anywhere along the frontline.

Right Midfield
18. Victor Moses
19. Onyeakaru/Musa - To me this comes down to who bangs in more goals between now and March. The two formations we have played under Rohr suggests a need to have goal threats all along the frontline. One of these will miss out. Its a toss up.

Strikers
20. Ighalo
21. Iheanacho
22. Nwakeme/Kayode
23. Oshimen - I have a sneaky feeling (and that's all it is) that Oshimen is well regarded by Rohr and so long as he trains with the first team and plays some cup games, he will make the roster. The boy has a knack for scoring in his club's friendlies which suggests a keen eye for goal. A lot of WC coaches usually take one gamble. I hope this will be Rohr's. Form will seal the deal for either Kayode or Nwakeme.

It will be a long shot for anyone else to make the final 23.

_________________
To stop trying is to start dying
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 3:11 pm
Posts: 2291
Shownoja wrote:
The way I see it, the competition is down to a very few places. If we say 3GK, 4CD, 2LB, 2RB, 4CM, 2LW, 2RW & 4 FW, then here is what I see from those I have watched and who have played so far:

GK
1. Uzoho
2. Ezenwa
3. Akpeyi/Alampasu. - For me, the coach has seen enough of Alampasu to have written him off by his recent non invitation. Except someone fantastic comes along between now and March, Akpeyi will make the trip.

Central Defence
4. Balogun
5. Ekong
6. Awoziem
7. Omerua - This is the one position up for grabs. His experience might count and he did seem very assured when he came on against Argentina. The fact he's also seeing regular first team football will definitely help his cause. Again, someone will have to have an outstanding next 3 months in a very good team to break into the squad. Highly unlikely if you ask me.

Right Backs
8. Shehu
9. Ebuehi - Both could easily start and they give the coach lovely options as Ebuehi fits the formation if we have to keep it tight at the back, while Shehu gives you lungs and an extra attacking impetus if you need to score more goals. I doubt anyone will shake the apple cart in this position before March.

Left Backs
10. Aina
11. Idowu - Both new, and both have done well. More importantly, both right footed with the ability to use the left foot. I think Echiejile will still have an opportunity to play himself off the roster, but to be in it, he will have one heck of a season from now on. Another position where a newbie with a fantastic left foot can stake a claim. If we have not found them till now, I doubt one will magically show up.

Central Midfield
12. Mikel
13. Ndidi
14. Onazi
15. Ogu/Agu - I like Ogu, so I might be biased here, but I think this tournament is coming a bit early for Agu. For me, Ogu's ruthless efficiency and presence will earn him the place, but will not be surprised should he miss out.

Left Midfield
16. Iwobi
17. Simon Moses - I've put both on the left because they have started from there in several games for the SE and are adaptable. They will constantly interchange with the guys on the right because the four who will go will have the ability to play anywhere along the frontline.

Right Midfield
18. Victor Moses
19. Onyeakaru/Musa - To me this comes down to who bangs in more goals between now and March. The two formations we have played under Rohr suggests a need to have goal threats all along the frontline. One of these will miss out. Its a toss up.

Strikers
20. Ighalo
21. Iheanacho
22. Nwakeme/Kayode
23. Oshimen - I have a sneaky feeling (and that's all it is) that Oshimen is well regarded by Rohr and so long as he trains with the first team and plays some cup games, he will make the roster. The boy has a knack for scoring in his club's friendlies which suggests a keen eye for goal. A lot of WC coaches usually take one gamble. I hope this will be Rohr's. Form will seal the deal for either Kayode or Nwakeme.

It will be a long shot for anyone else to make the final 23.



I want to believe your list resonates with my thinking and/or current realities........ few areas where I differ are

1. Etobo is missing from that list and I think Rohr will want a backup for Mikel. Right now, Etobo is about the only player that comes closer to that. I am not sure any other player can emerge and mature in that role in the next 7months
2. Except both Nwakeme and Kayode actually scores for SE in friendlies, they have not done justice to their invite at the moment.
3. I agree with you on Oshimen....or someone else as a "gamble" or more of insight of future prospect like Owen for England, Enyeama for SE, Ronaldo(almost) for Brazil in 94, Kanu (almost) for SE in 94 etc. I would have loved Siasia to have taken Osimen to the Olympics rather than Umar who adds virtually nothing to the SE building project.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:33 pm
Posts: 6993
Quote:
I want to believe your list resonates with my thinking and/or current realities........ few areas where I differ are

1. Etobo is missing from that list and I think Rohr will want a backup for Mikel. Right now, Etobo is about the only player that comes closer to that. I am not sure any other player can emerge and mature in that role in the next 7months
2. Except both Nwakeme and Kayode actually scores for SE in friendlies, they have not done justice to their invite at the moment.
3. I agree with you on Oshimen....or someone else as a "gamble" or more of insight of future prospect like Owen for England, Enyeama for SE, Ronaldo(almost) for Brazil in 94, Kanu (almost) for SE in 94 etc. I would have loved Siasia to have taken Osimen to the Olympics rather than Umar who adds virtually nothing to the SE building project.

Etobo was a close one for me, but seeing that Iwobi is multi-talented and can create. I think he's cover for Mikel isn't justification enough to negate what the others bring in terms of allowing the same said Mikel to play. That defensive blanket seems very important to Rohr, and I dare say it plays to our strength.

_________________
To stop trying is to start dying
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Posts: 53021
Location: United Kingdom
mapet wrote:
Shownoja wrote:


1. Etobo is missing from that list and I think Rohr will want a backup for Mikel. Right now, Etobo is about the only player that comes closer to that. I am not sure any other player can emerge and mature in that role in the next 7 months
.


Kelechi Nwakali!

_________________
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:59 pm
Posts: 7882
osita wrote:
osita wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
osita wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
osita wrote:
Ogu currently has too many fans in Nigeria now.

I'm not sure about that. He seems like a very cool guy though.



Do you watch Nigeria sports tv or go on Twitter?

Mikel collected yellow card against Zambia and was dispossessed immediately he came in. And twitter exploded , querying the coach and why he did not bring in Ogu.

Ogu may not be too popular, but Mikel agu is least popular than Ogu.

Twitter is worse than CE. The consensus is Mikel Agu played well after a rocky start vs Zambia.


Consensus where? In CE? Did you watch the match against Zambia? The match against Algeria Ogu played much better than mikel agu because I watched the match. Ogu is very technical and smart , and he will be more effective to us than agu in terms of scoring from midfield as he has that ability than any other midfielder we currently have now.



Yeyeman,
An article from ESPN that supports my point and assessment that John Ogu is better than Agu from Fans and myself. As if Collins read my mind :thumb:



http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/ ... uper-eagle
Colin Udoh, KweséESPN
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
comment
On the way back to Lagos, after had qualified for the 2018 World Cup with a 1-0 win over Zambia, midfielder John Ogu sat in the airport lounge in Uyo, every bit his usual, boisterous self.

There were a few unguarded moments, when a little bit of brooding appeared to escape the confinesof his cheer, but those were fleeting, almost non-existent.

And there were more than enough reasons for him to brood, or at least to contemplate the seeming injustice of his situation at the time.

Despite making his debut in 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Kenya in 2013, Ogu had only managed to accumulate a scant 14 appearances before the Zambia game in October.

Despite being blessed with the physique of a rampaging box-to-box midfielder, Ogu's drawback has largely been his languid style. With Ogenyi Onazi playing the terrier in midfield with support from Wilfred Ndidi, Ogu found it difficult to break into the side.

But that is not what baffles about Ogu's situation. It's that other players have come in and skipped ahead of him in the pecking order.

In that game against Zambia, Onazi suffered an early injury and had to be taken off. Nigeria fans were stunned to see coach Gernot Rohr call on Mikel Agu, rather than Ogu, to replace him.

[u]And they found vindication when Agu -- talented though he is -- picked up a yellow card within minutes of coming in and struggled all game long.
[/u]
Sitting at that airport lounge, cracking jokes with other players there, Ogu did not look to perturbed. In fact, he celebrated Alex Iwobi's winning goal on the day with as much, if not more, gusto as the rest of the team.

For a player who has been consistently called up, who gives his all in every training session, does all that is asked of him, but last saw action on match day two of the World Cup qualifiers, Ogu was remarkably unperturbed.

Asked about his continued exclusion from the starting team, and sometimes from the match day squad, Ogu stayed positive.

"I love my country. I love coming to the national team and I want to play every game," he told KweséESPN.

"But the coach is the one who takes the decision, and maybe he has his reasons. For me, I just have to keep working hard and waiting for my chance, and do my best when I am given the opportunity."

That opportunity finally came in Nigeria's final group game, against Algeria. A combination of both Onazi and Agu being injured, and Rohr deciding to test out some of his fringe players, Ogu got his chance to start.

A tidy, composed, and largely error-free display, where he screened the back four superbly might well have gone unnoticed. But then he had to go a score a belter of a goal.

A poor clearance from a corner kick fell to him just outside the box. The Israel-based midfielder was allowed space and time. He accepted the gift, took his time, shaped up, and curled one of the finest efforts of the qualifiers into the Algerian net.

That goal could well have won Nigeria the game but for a controversial penalty decision by the ref. But it mattered little. Before the game was over, Ogu was trending on Nigeria social media.

That was little surprise really, considering Ogu is a very popular player with both fans and media.


John Ogu (R) of Nigeria in action against Sergio Aguero (L) of Argentina Yuri Kochetkov/EPA
Four days later, he was back in the starting line up against Argentina, helping the Super Eagles claim a stunning 4-2 victory over the South Americans.


In typically modest fashion, his response was: "It can only be God. We give Him all the glory."

Competition for places in the midfield will be fierce, and at 29, Ogu is well above Rohr's unofficial age threshold. He will be 30 and change by the time World Cup rolls around.

That will be a stretch for Rohr, who will also have 31-year-old captain John Mikel Obi in the same midfield conversation.

The good news for Ogu is that Rohr has consistently included him in the squad. Better news is that he has shown dedication and focus and humility despite his seeming travails.

The best news? He has proved - on the green grass - that he can deliver


KoC confirms what we already know. John Ogu is behind the pecking order with Eddy Ogenyi Onazi and Mikel Agu ahead of him. He will only get a sniff if those guys are injured. Ogu's syle is languid while Rohr needs terriers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:59 pm
Posts: 7882
Shownoja wrote:
The way I see it, the competition is down to a very few places. If we say 3GK, 4CD, 2LB, 2RB, 4CM, 2LW, 2RW & 4 FW, then here is what I see from those I have watched and who have played so far:

GK
1. Uzoho
2. Ezenwa
3. Akpeyi/Alampasu. - For me, the coach has seen enough of Alampasu to have written him off by his recent non invitation. Except someone fantastic comes along between now and March, Akpeyi will make the trip.

Central Defence
4. Balogun
5. Ekong
6. Awoziem
7. Omerua - This is the one position up for grabs. His experience might count and he did seem very assured when he came on against Argentina. The fact he's also seeing regular first team football will definitely help his cause. Again, someone will have to have an outstanding next 3 months in a very good team to break into the squad. Highly unlikely if you ask me.

Right Backs
8. Shehu
9. Ebuehi - Both could easily start and they give the coach lovely options as Ebuehi fits the formation if we have to keep it tight at the back, while Shehu gives you lungs and an extra attacking impetus if you need to score more goals. I doubt anyone will shake the apple cart in this position before March.

Left Backs
10. Aina
11. Idowu - Both new, and both have done well. More importantly, both right footed with the ability to use the left foot. I think Echiejile will still have an opportunity to play himself off the roster, but to be in it, he will have one heck of a season from now on. Another position where a newbie with a fantastic left foot can stake a claim. If we have not found them till now, I doubt one will magically show up.

Central Midfield
12. Mikel
13. Ndidi
14. Onazi
15. Ogu/Agu - I like Ogu, so I might be biased here, but I think this tournament is coming a bit early for Agu. For me, Ogu's ruthless efficiency and presence will earn him the place, but will not be surprised should he miss out.

Left Midfield
16. Iwobi
17. Simon Moses - I've put both on the left because they have started from there in several games for the SE and are adaptable. They will constantly interchange with the guys on the right because the four who will go will have the ability to play anywhere along the frontline.

Right Midfield
18. Victor Moses
19. Onyeakaru/Musa - To me this comes down to who bangs in more goals between now and March. The two formations we have played under Rohr suggests a need to have goal threats all along the frontline. One of these will miss out. Its a toss up.

Strikers
20. Ighalo
21. Iheanacho
22. Nwakeme/Kayode
23. Oshimen - I have a sneaky feeling (and that's all it is) that Oshimen is well regarded by Rohr and so long as he trains with the first team and plays some cup games, he will make the roster. The boy has a knack for scoring in his club's friendlies which suggests a keen eye for goal. A lot of WC coaches usually take one gamble. I hope this will be Rohr's. Form will seal the deal for either Kayode or Nwakeme.

It will be a long shot for anyone else to make the final 23.


How can Oghenekaro Etebo NOT go to the World Cup? Barring injury, it is impossible! In fact, in virtually all of our matches in Russia, expect JMO to only play for 60mins to be substituted by Etebo or Agu depending on the desired outcome.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 9761
I believe the following (barring injury or falling out with the coach) will be in the squad:

GKs: Ezenwa, Uzoho

Defenders: Shehu, Ekong, Leon, Echiejile, Aina, Awaziem, Ebuehi

Midfielders: Mikel, Onazi, Ndidi, Ogu, Etebo

Attackers: Iwobi, Moses, Ighalo, Musa, Simon, Iheanacho

That means 20 of the 23 spots are virtually locked down already.
:shock:
Only 3 places up for grabs: 1 GK, 1-2 defenders, and 1-2 attackers. That leaves Idowu*, Omeruo, Agbo, Agu, Kayode, Nwakaeme, and Onyekuru fighting over the remaining 3 spots! :scared:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:51 am
Posts: 12887
wiseone wrote:
I believe the following (barring injury or falling out with the coach) will be in the squad:

GKs: Ezenwa, Uzoho

Defenders: Shehu, Ekong, Leon, Echiejile, Aina, Awaziem, Ebuehi

Midfielders: Mikel, Onazi, Ndidi, Ogu, Etebo

Attackers: Iwobi, Moses, Ighalo, Musa, Simon, Iheanacho

That means 20 of the 23 spots are virtually locked down already. :shock:
Only 3 places up for grabs: 1 GK, 1-2 defenders, and 1-2 attackers. That leaves Idowu*, Omeruo, Agbo, Agu, Kayode, Nwakaeme, and Onyekuru fighting over the remaining 3 spots! :scared:

From your list, I've put in bold the players I'd bet my house are going to the WC.

Everyone else is either a PROBABLE or a POSSIBLE but not a stone cold CERTAINTY like the highlighted.

_________________

WC go sweet o
DNQ no good o


"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Cellular, Nov 16, 2017.
"I will take Trump over Clinton. But I am in the minority." - Cellular, Jul 19, 2016.
---
© The YeyeMan 2017
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:02 pm
Posts: 7155
Wow!
Never ceases to amaze how you make stuff up as you go.
Ike broke his arm in a match for his Swiss club, for Pete's sake.
Where the heck did you get the idea that he hurt his finger?
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
(4) In 1998, Ike Shorunmu got dropped because he injured his finger in a warm-up game against Germany
You cannot be sentimental about these matters. Every team must go to the World Cup with its best and most in-form players

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Posts: 53021
Location: United Kingdom
Playmaker, playmaker, playmaker. That has got to be our priority now: http://thenationonlineng.net/well-done- ... yet-uhuru/

_________________
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AYALA, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], ikeo, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group