I don't agree with Rohr but believe this is his 23 right now

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

9jaMan
Egg
Egg
Re: I don't agree with Rohr but believe this is his 23 right

Post by 9jaMan »

charlie wrote:
9jaMan wrote:
charlie wrote:
9jaMan wrote:
Zelex wrote:
9jaMan wrote:
charlie wrote:I wouldnt put Ebuehi ahead of Shehu or Idowu ahead of Echiejile or Aina just yet.
We only saw them play one game. Echiejile, Aina and Shehu actually brought us through qualification.

We have a couple of friendly matches to execute to let them slug it out for the 1st team rankings, but for now my 2 wing backs will be Shehu and Aina based on body of work
Yes shehu, elderson and aina brought qualification, but we have to go with the best available players, no sentiments or bias allowed, ebuehi reduced Di Maria to a junk player effortlessly and he joined the attack with quick crisp passes. Idowu completely shut down the argentine attack from his wing and had the lungs to score a world class goal. Moving forward both ebuehi and Idowu must start for SE. Simple and plain jare
Wow...so all this based on 45 minutes of a friendly match? Quite a bizarre way of thinking if you ask me.

Facts no feelings
I am not sure what kind of facts you think you have determined from watching Ebuehi & Idowu in 45 mins but that is not enough of a sample size to make any decisions at this point.

I am not saying I am not impressed by what we all saw. Just saying we need to see more before decisions are made, and I trust Rohr to make the right decision.

Rohr is not a know all, he is human and makes mistakes, like he did against SA. All I am saying is based on facts, our current best options are ebuehi and idowu, forget sentiments, history books and emotional attachment when selecting players. And yes in 45 minutes both players proved that they are currently the best,....keyword is currently
All I am saying is based on facts, our current best options are ebuehi and idowu

45 mins is not enough to develop any facts!

You don't get it and that's alright, some of us recognize quality when we see it even if it's for 15 minutes, and that's alright too
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

danfo driver wrote:

Regardless of formation, Rohr will take at least 4 CBs and possibly 5. But most likely 4.

I also suspect he will take 8 defenders overall, due to the fact that he is a little conservative.

if Omeruo misses out, it will not be because of formation. The player has been useless for a while and Rohr has been picking Agbo as a CB instead of Omeruo.
I don't disagree wrt Omeruo but the fact that he hasn't given Agbo a chance so far compared to Omeruo favors Omeruo at least at this time. That said, the WC is 7+ months away so there's time for some of the fringe players to play themselves in or out.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Echiejile is going to the WC, and so is Moses Simon. You don't take such a risk with a player like Echiejile in favor of untested Aina and Idowu. Unless he's injured, he is going. He may eventually lose the starting job...but he will be on the roster.

Putting Kayode on the list is a huge leap. He won't make it IMO.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

deanotito wrote:Echiejile is going to the WC, and so is Moses Simon. You don't take such a risk with a player like Echiejile in favor of untested Aina and Idowu. Unless he's injured, he is going. He may eventually lose the starting job...but he will be on the roster.

Yes o, because it's their birthright and other more talented Nigerians should not be considered.This is the mentality that prevents Nigeria from advancing beyond the second round. Replay a clueless junk like yaya Gabriel replacing onazi against France and the rest is history. I truly hope Rohr is not that clueless
Last edited by 9jaMan on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

deanotito wrote:Echiejile is going to the WC, and so is Moses Simon. You don't take such a risk with a player like Echiejile in favor of untested Aina and Idowu. Unless he's injured, he is going. He may eventually lose the starting job...but he will be on the roster.

Nope. Echiejele's place is in doubt. People should listen to what Rohr says and does. He hasn't tried out two different left backs in the last couple of games just for fun.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Can you please stop saying that please. How can you say a player is guaranteed a place come what may?

It makes a mockery of the whole idea of fighting for a shirt. Extremely offensive statement so please do not come here to insult our sensitivities like that again. It is like me saying so so and so will be re-elected governor whether he performs or not or whether there is a better candidate or not!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Can you please stop saying that please. How can you say a player is guaranteed a place come what may?

It makes a mockery of the whole idea of fighting for a shirt. Extremely offensive statement so please do not come here to insult our sensitivities like that again. It is like me saying so so and so will be re-elected governor whether he performs or not or whether there is a better candidate or not!
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

9jaMan wrote:

You don't get it and that's alright, some of us recognize quality when we see it even if it's for 15 minutes, and that's alright too
Ohh I get it. I get that Ebuehi and Idowu impressed us all in a short time frame. I also get that too often, too many people are too easily impressed (if they had a bad first outing, you and others would also be quick to judge him).

All I am saying is lets see more before we jump to conclusions on how he ranks in the team, especially considering we already have 2 other full backs in the team that have also impressed.

Savy?
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

charlie wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Ohh I get it. I get that Ebuehi and Idowu impressed us all in a short time frame. I also get that too often, too many people are too easily impressed (if they had a bad first outing, you and others would also be quick to judge him).

All I am saying is lets see more before we jump to conclusions on how he ranks in the team, especially considering we already have 2 other full backs in the team that have also impressed.

Savy?
It seems We both agree that moving forward ebuehi and idowu should start :thumbs:
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

osita wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
osita wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
osita wrote:Ogu currently has too many fans in Nigeria now.
I'm not sure about that. He seems like a very cool guy though.

Do you watch Nigeria sports tv or go on Twitter?

Mikel collected yellow card against Zambia and was dispossessed immediately he came in. And twitter exploded , querying the coach and why he did not bring in Ogu.

Ogu may not be too popular, but Mikel agu is least popular than Ogu.
Twitter is worse than CE. The consensus is Mikel Agu played well after a rocky start vs Zambia.
Consensus where? In CE? Did you watch the match against Zambia? The match against Algeria Ogu played much better than mikel agu because I watched the match. Ogu is very technical and smart , and he will be more effective to us than agu in terms of scoring from midfield as he has that ability than any other midfielder we currently have now.

Yeyeman,
An article from ESPN that supports my point and assessment that John Ogu is better than Agu from Fans and myself. As if Collins read my mind :thumb:

http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/ ... uper-eagle
Colin Udoh, KweséESPN
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
comment
On the way back to Lagos, after had qualified for the 2018 World Cup with a 1-0 win over Zambia, midfielder John Ogu sat in the airport lounge in Uyo, every bit his usual, boisterous self.

There were a few unguarded moments, when a little bit of brooding appeared to escape the confinesof his cheer, but those were fleeting, almost non-existent.

And there were more than enough reasons for him to brood, or at least to contemplate the seeming injustice of his situation at the time.

Despite making his debut in 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Kenya in 2013, Ogu had only managed to accumulate a scant 14 appearances before the Zambia game in October.

Despite being blessed with the physique of a rampaging box-to-box midfielder, Ogu's drawback has largely been his languid style. With Ogenyi Onazi playing the terrier in midfield with support from Wilfred Ndidi, Ogu found it difficult to break into the side.

But that is not what baffles about Ogu's situation. It's that other players have come in and skipped ahead of him in the pecking order.

In that game against Zambia, Onazi suffered an early injury and had to be taken off. Nigeria fans were stunned to see coach Gernot Rohr call on Mikel Agu, rather than Ogu, to replace him.

[u]And they found vindication when Agu -- talented though he is -- picked up a yellow card within minutes of coming in and struggled all game long.
[/u]
Sitting at that airport lounge, cracking jokes with other players there, Ogu did not look to perturbed. In fact, he celebrated Alex Iwobi's winning goal on the day with as much, if not more, gusto as the rest of the team.

For a player who has been consistently called up, who gives his all in every training session, does all that is asked of him, but last saw action on match day two of the World Cup qualifiers, Ogu was remarkably unperturbed.

Asked about his continued exclusion from the starting team, and sometimes from the match day squad, Ogu stayed positive.

"I love my country. I love coming to the national team and I want to play every game," he told KweséESPN.

"But the coach is the one who takes the decision, and maybe he has his reasons. For me, I just have to keep working hard and waiting for my chance, and do my best when I am given the opportunity."

That opportunity finally came in Nigeria's final group game, against Algeria. A combination of both Onazi and Agu being injured, and Rohr deciding to test out some of his fringe players, Ogu got his chance to start.

A tidy, composed, and largely error-free display, where he screened the back four superbly might well have gone unnoticed. But then he had to go a score a belter of a goal.

A poor clearance from a corner kick fell to him just outside the box. The Israel-based midfielder was allowed space and time. He accepted the gift, took his time, shaped up, and curled one of the finest efforts of the qualifiers into the Algerian net.

That goal could well have won Nigeria the game but for a controversial penalty decision by the ref. But it mattered little. Before the game was over, Ogu was trending on Nigeria social media.

That was little surprise really, considering Ogu is a very popular player with both fans and media.

John Ogu (R) of Nigeria in action against Sergio Aguero (L) of Argentina Yuri Kochetkov/EPA
Four days later, he was back in the starting line up against Argentina, helping the Super Eagles claim a stunning 4-2 victory over the South Americans.

In typically modest fashion, his response was: "It can only be God. We give Him all the glory."

Competition for places in the midfield will be fierce, and at 29, Ogu is well above Rohr's unofficial age threshold. He will be 30 and change by the time World Cup rolls around.

That will be a stretch for Rohr, who will also have 31-year-old captain John Mikel Obi in the same midfield conversation.

The good news for Ogu is that Rohr has consistently included him in the squad. Better news is that he has shown dedication and focus and humility despite his seeming travails.

The best news? He has proved - on the green grass - that he can deliver
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:It is! Hey Yous have been dropped after 45 minutes before.

In fact, one of Gotti’s brothers Francis Kumbur was once invited to camp and pulled off after 20 mins. That was the end of his Eagles career.
Which was about 10 more minutes than one of your clients Friday Onyeukwu....
Which not just marked the end of Onyeukwu’s SE career but apparently his professional career. :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Gotti wrote:

In fact, one of Gotti’s brothers Francis Kumbur was once invited to camp and pulled off after 20 mins. That was the end of his Eagles career.
Which not just marked the end of Onyeukwu’s SE career but apparently his professional career. :lol:
Ha ha ha ha. You self. You no go ever gree.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Gotti wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Those were the bad old days...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Gotti wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Gotti wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Those were the bad old days...
I hope both Kumbur and Onyeku are fine and doing well. Let me know if you hear from either of them.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Gotti wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wAyo! Onyeukwu still dey drag you for refund? :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

So..based on ONE friendly Idowu walks right into the lb spot ahead of those who have played the position before? :rotf: :rotf: This guy is playing AYO wiff our squad :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

green4life wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Regardless of formation, Rohr will take at least 4 CBs and possibly 5. But most likely 4.

I also suspect he will take 8 defenders overall, due to the fact that he is a little conservative.

if Omeruo misses out, it will not be because of formation. The player has been useless for a while and Rohr has been picking Agbo as a CB instead of Omeruo.
I don't disagree wrt Omeruo but the fact that he hasn't given Agbo a chance so far compared to Omeruo favors Omeruo at least at this time. That said, the WC is 7+ months away so there's time for some of the fringe players to play themselves in or out.
My thought is flipped, actually. The fact that he has been inviting Agbo, and then in the last match threw some minutes to Omeruo seems more like a situation of giving minutes to players who need to prove it.

Personally, i prefer Omeruo to Agbo, as CB. but i have lost respect for Omeruo. he should be Nigeria's starter today, but he is fighting for 4th spot! he has refused to improve since 2013. What a disappointment.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

9jaMan wrote:

Yes o, because it's their birthright and other more talented Nigerians should not be considered.This is the mentality that prevents Nigeria from advancing beyond the second round. Replay a clueless junk like yaya Gabriel replacing onazi against France and the rest is history. I truly hope Rohr is not that clueless
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
is Deanotito the coach? Why are you reacting to his words like this? :rotf: :rotf:
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] Francis Uzoho
[2] Ikechukwu Ezenwa
[3] Daniel Akpeyi

[4] Tyrone Ebuehi
[5] Shehu Abdullahi

[6] Brian Idowu
[7] Ola Aina

[8] William Ekong
[9] Leon Balogun
[10] Chidozie Awaziem
[11] Kenneth Omeruo

[12] Mikel Obi
[13] Ogenyi Onazi
[14] Wilfred Ndidi
[15] John Ogu

[16] Alex Iwobi
[17] Oghene Etebo

[18] Odion Ighalo
[19] Olanrewaju Kayode

[20] Victor Moses
[21] Henry Onyekuru
[22] Kelechi Iheanacho
[23] Anthony Nwakaeme

Seven stand-by players
[1] Dele Ajiboye
[2] Uwua Echiejile
[3] Uche Agbo
[4] Mikel Agu
[5] Ahmed Musa
[6] Simon Moses
[7] Ibrahim Alhassan

In my opinion, he favoured formation will be 4-3-3, with the team having the option of reverting to 3-5-2 should the need arise. Now, in my opinion, if he goes for this list, he strongest starting line-up will probably be:

*******************************************************Ighalo***********************************************

**********************Moses***********************************************Iheanacho*********************

****************************************************Iwobi****************************************************

******************************Mikel******************************Ndidi***************************************

***Idowu*****************************Balogun**************************Ekong*******************Ebuehi***

**********************************************************Uzoho**************************************************

Am I totally satisfied with this squad? No. What are my beefs with it. well:

[1] It has no natural playmaker ala Okocha, Ericksen, Modric, Ozil, etc. Is Iwobi really up to playing that role? Does he has the physical strength?
[2] Is Ighalo in goalscoring form at the moment?
[3] There is not enough goalkeeping depth in the squad. I am disgusted that we will be taking Akpeyi and Ezenwa to Russia. I would rather the young Dele Alampasu, who can at least learn and improve. We basically need to recall either Enyeama or Aiyenugba
[4] Are there other centrebacks we could have tried like Uduokhai and Akpoguma? I am worried about Balogun being done for pace at the back
[5] Could we have looked at some other right fullbacks like Kingsley Ehizibu
[6] Could we have looked at some other left fullbacks like Kingsley Madu and Jordan Touranighora
[7] In midfield, should we at least look at Joel Obi too. His retention skills are key
[8] Against stubborn and well-knit defences, we will be too dependent on Victor Moses to create goal-scoring chances
[9] Wilfred Ndidi does not give us enough offensively. He desperately needs to improve upon his passing
[10] This team is too dependent on Mikel Obi to click. At his age, that is a huge risk

Damn :shock: :shock: :shock: Barring any injuries or loss of form, I am convinced 99% of the players will come from this list. My only contention is that Ahmed Musa will be on that plane. Onyekuru/Nwakeme/Kayode( one of them) will make way for Ahmed Musa. Watch this thread in 4-5months. Ayo will be proved right. To be honest, it is not rocket science.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Echiejile is on the bubble. I think it was after the second Zambia game that Rohr (in an interview) acknowledged that he knows that fans have been complaining about Echiejile's performances and that he will test other options (given the ticket had been secured).
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

osita wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
osita wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
osita wrote:Ogu currently has too many fans in Nigeria now.
I'm not sure about that. He seems like a very cool guy though.

Do you watch Nigeria sports tv or go on Twitter?

Mikel collected yellow card against Zambia and was dispossessed immediately he came in. And twitter exploded , querying the coach and why he did not bring in Ogu.

Ogu may not be too popular, but Mikel agu is least popular than Ogu.
Twitter is worse than CE. The consensus is Mikel Agu played well after a rocky start vs Zambia.
Consensus where? In CE? Did you watch the match against Zambia? The match against Algeria Ogu played much better than mikel agu because I watched the match. Ogu is very technical and smart , and he will be more effective to us than agu in terms of scoring from midfield as he has that ability than any other midfielder we currently have now.
Yeah on CE. I didn't watch the game.

I've seen Ogu's game. He's a popular guy, I like him, and I wish him well.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Anyone that suggests Echijile should be selected ahead of Ebuehi and Idowu ought to be tried fo treason
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.