World cup rankings as per Guardian (Nigeria 7th)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

charlie
Egg
Egg
World cup rankings as per Guardian (Nigeria 7th)

Post by charlie »

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... qualifiers

Top 10
1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Spain
4. France
5. Belgium
6. Portugal
7. Nigeria
8. Poland
9. Argentina
10. Uruguay

FYI: England ranked 14th leading to very salty comments in the comment sections :thumbs: .

Personally, while the respect is nice, I would have prefered some more stealth going into the world cup.
Its easier to win games when you are underestimated. Thats just my own feelings, but I am happy to be proved wrong.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: World cup rankings as per Guardian (Nigeria 7th)

Post by Cellular »

charlie wrote:Source: https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... qualifiers

Top 10
1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Spain
4. France
5. Belgium
6. Portugal
7. Nigeria
8. Poland
9. Argentina
10. Uruguay

FYI: England ranked 14th leading to very salty comments in the comment sections :thumbs: .

Personally, while the respect is nice, I would have prefered some more stealth going into the world cup.
Its easier to win games when you are underestimated. Thats just my own feelings, but I am happy to be proved wrong.
We know want.

The beauty of the actual FIFA ranking is that every team we end up beating in the group stages will be considered an upset. :taunt:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

This ranking is not complete without Ghana in 1059876th position :sneaky: :tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

How is Portugal higher than Nigeria?
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Top 10
1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Spain
4. France
5. Belgium
6. Portugal
7. Nigeria
8. Poland
9. Argentina
10. Uruguay

Wetin Portugal dey do for 6th position?
And Pol-wetin for 8th? Poland? :???:
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

kajifu wrote:How is Portugal higher than Nigeria?
Current European champs and they had a good qualifying run (9W, 0D, 1L)

If they can repeat their heroics from the Euro 16 tournament, they are one to watch, even with a currently underpeforming CR
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The is a classic colonial trick. :scared: The Brits know how to destroy Africans, knowing that we like to be regarded and think big they’ll build us up only to tear us down and claim the spoils. I hope Rohr and the boys don’t believe this rubbish.If they get to the quarter finals they’ll be in the top 8.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:

Top 10
1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Spain
4. France
5. Belgium
6. Portugal
7. Nigeria
8. Poland
9. Argentina
10. Uruguay

We know want.

The beauty of the actual FIFA ranking is that every team we end up beating in the group stages will be considered an upset. :taunt:
KPOM. As far as we know, Nigeria is Pot 4. Make dem carry go!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I guess no two people will have the same opinion on these matters. I was listening to Danny mills on Sky Sports yesterday saying that England about the 15th best nation in the world at the moment.

Now coming to Nigeria, if we want a genuine and honest appraisal of our team, how would you rank the Super Eagles without any bias? That win against a Messi-less Argentina is clearly going to skew things and prevent a proper analysis but I would say we are in the same league as teams like Mexico, England, Uruguay, Croatia, Sweden, Portugal, Senegal, Belgium and Switzerland.

On a given day, any of these teams can beat the other, it is not clear who is better than who. At the top of the tree, i think it is a given that the likes of Brazil, Germany, Spain, France and Argentina (Despite losing to Nigeria) and in a league of their own.

Here is my personal analysis:

Pot One
Brazil
Germany
France
Spain
Argentina

Pot Two
Belgium
Mexico
Nigeria
Croatia
England
Uruguay
Senegal
Switzerland
Portugal
Sweden

Pot Three
Russia
Poland
Peru
Colombia
Denmark
Costa Rica

Pot Four
Iceland
Iran
Tunisia
Egypt
Serbia
Morocco
Japan
South Korea
Saudi Arabia
Panama
Australia
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote:

Top 10
1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Spain
4. France
5. Belgium
6. Portugal
7. Nigeria
8. Poland
9. Argentina
10. Uruguay

We know want.

7) Nigeria
Rounded off their qualifying formalities with a draw in Algeria before the brilliant comeback from two goals down to beat Argentina 4-2 in the 2018 host city Krasnodar on Tuesday. That showed there is plenty for Gernot Rohr to be positive about as the German manager continues to help the Super Eagles forget their failure to qualify for the past two editions of the Africa Cup of Nations. Having successfully navigated a tricky group and shown what this team are capable of against top-class opposition, the challenge is to see if a squad that contains many of the players that reached the last 16 in 2014 can go at least one better in Russia.

Player to watch Alex Iwobi
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Our preparations are going well but can we honestly say that we can even beat Egypt in Russia like most teams in their top 10 would?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Our preparations are going well but can we honestly say that we can even beat Egypt in Russia like most teams in their top 10 would?

Maybe not yet but if Rohr does his homework well we will be able to. There is still plenty more to be done but at least we started the process against Argentina with the inclusion of Ebuehi and Idowu into the squad.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

Garbage, poorly researched article. How on earth they can say this team contains "many" of the players from 2014 is a joke. I can only think of 4. Mikel. Moses. Onazi. Musa.
How is 4 out of 23 "many?"
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Football can be unpredictable. Everyone expects Belgium to perform well but they have soft centre, which could be their undoing. Just look at how vulnerable they are on the counter-attack:
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

That 4-2 defeat of Argentina has made the football world to take notice of Nigeria. Our preparations for the WC will be under intense scrutiny.
I am happy
jungle-jawara
Egg
Egg

Post by jungle-jawara »

Top 10
1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Spain
4. France
5. Belgium
6. Portugal
7. Nigeria
8. Poland
9. Argentina
10. Uruguay

You guys just dey vex person with this "Argentina with no Messi" did they not play with 11 players? Or is it not certain, even with injury (backrooms staff) that Messi will go to the world cup? Was it not here some weeks ago that some said Kelechi might not make the flight to Russia? What happened, our no 9 Ighalo was missing with injury and Kelechi took his chance. What if Messi was available, and also Ighalo and Moses were all available. What is saying that we might not have won heavier.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:I guess no two people will have the same opinion on these matters. I was listening to Danny mills on Sky Sports yesterday saying that England about the 15th best nation in the world at the moment.

Now coming to Nigeria, if we want a genuine and honest appraisal of our team, how would you rank the Super Eagles without any bias? That win against a Messi-less Argentina is clearly going to skew things and prevent a proper analysis but I would say we are in the same league as teams like Mexico, England, Uruguay, Croatia, Sweden, Portugal, Senegal, Belgium and Switzerland.

On a given day, any of these teams can beat the other, it is not clear who is better than who. At the top of the tree, i think it is a given that the likes of Brazil, Germany, Spain, France and Argentina (Despite losing to Nigeria) and in a league of their own.

Pot One
Brazil
Germany
France
Spain
Argentina

Pot Two
Belgium
Mexico
Nigeria
Croatia
England
Uruguay
Senegal
Switzerland
Portugal
Sweden

Pot Three
Russia
Poland
Peru
Colombia
Denmark
Costa Rica

Pot Four
Iceland
Iran
Tunisia
Egypt
Serbia
Morocco
Japan
South Korea
Saudi Arabia
Panama
Australia
What kind of pot has 5 countries? You sure say that pot no dey leak? And for the ones with more than 8 countries, that one na feast and the services of a caterer will be needed.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

anointed wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:I guess no two people will have the same opinion on these matters. I was listening to Danny mills on Sky Sports yesterday saying that England about the 15th best nation in the world at the moment.

Pot One
Brazil
Germany
France
Spain
Argentina

Pot Two
Belgium
Mexico
Nigeria
Croatia
England
Uruguay
Senegal
Switzerland
Portugal
Sweden

Pot Three
Russia
Poland
Peru
Colombia
Denmark
Costa Rica

Pot Four
Iceland
Iran
Tunisia
Egypt
Serbia
Morocco
Japan
South Korea
Saudi Arabia
Panama
Australia
What kind of pot has 5 countries? You sure say that pot no dey leak? And for the ones with more than 8 countries, that one na feast and the services of a caterer will be needed.
I think its just his ranking system, not really a Pot for building groups for the WC.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

anointed wrote:

Pot One
Brazil
Germany
France
Spain
Argentina

Pot Two
Belgium
Mexico
Nigeria
Croatia
England
Uruguay
Senegal
Switzerland
Portugal
Sweden

Pot Three
Russia
Poland
Peru
Colombia
Denmark
Costa Rica

Pot Four
Iceland
Iran
Tunisia
Egypt
Serbia
Morocco
Japan
South Korea
Saudi Arabia
Panama
Australia
You clearly did not read what I wrote well. I was classifying teams in accordance with how I rate them. Nigeria is not up there with the main contenders but are in the next category of teams that will include the dark horses.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Did you guys notice the comments from the entitled English fans asking how Iceland and Nigeria could be ranked above them? This is from a team that has not won a knockout game in a tournament for about 15 years, and who were knocked out of the Euros by Iceland.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

The chemistry in this SE currently is so good that given a longer period in camp and a long run of matches, that 7th place ranking will be viewed as unjust deserving of much higher. The 2nd half performance against Argentina was quite similar to the all round performance we have seen from the golden eaglets at their level. The goal by Idowu for example was the end result of one-touch passing.

Rohr has already set the standard and the whole world is now sitting up. Since the defeat for example, Diego Maradona has been angling to take over from Sampaoli and another bad performance may lead to Sampaoli's sack.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wiseone wrote:Did you guys notice the comments from the entitled English fans asking how Iceland and Nigeria could be ranked above them? This is from a team that has not won a knockout game in a tournament for about 15 years, and who were knocked out of the Euros by Iceland.
Chai. See selective perception at its best. :roll:

You did not notice that at least the first 30 or so comments about England were totally negative?
I couldn't even find your quoted comment - got tired of searching for it.
If anything, England fans are more critical of their national team than even Nigerians. You no see that one.
This una hatred for England pass be kiaful.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

anointed wrote:

Pot One
Brazil
Germany
France
Spain
Argentina

Pot Two
Belgium
Mexico
Nigeria
Croatia
England
Uruguay
Senegal
Switzerland
Portugal
Sweden

Pot Three
Russia
Poland
Peru
Colombia
Denmark
Costa Rica

Pot Four
Iceland
Iran
Tunisia
Egypt
Serbia
Morocco
Japan
South Korea
Saudi Arabia
Panama
Australia
Anointed; did you read very well what Ayo wrote and understood what he implied or meant? To me, he made-up the pots based on his personal analysis
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.