Dutch unhappy about Ebuehi and want him back in their team

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mystic
Egg
Egg
Re: Dutch unhappy about Ebuehi and want him back in their te

Post by mystic »

Dammy,

I think you're off base in suggesting that Rohr didn't previously rate Ebuehi (or didn't know how good he was).

First of all, Rohr if you have noticed doesn't repeatedly invite players he doesn't rate (as the likes of Nosa Igiebor and Anderson Esiti, amongst others, can readily attest).

Secondly, it was Rohr who stuck his neck out for Ebuehi, even after Tyrone had initially embarrassed him by snubbing his initial invitation. Indeed, you and I both know that many in Rohr's shoes would have closed the door on the young man after that, but Rohr was willing to take the bullet publicly and his interest in Ebuehi did not waver (keep in mind that the the jury on Ebuehi being of the required standard was still out at this point, so it was really down to Rohr's strong belief in his talent and potential).

As for Shehu starting over him vs South Africa, if I recall correctly, the reporting at the time was that Ebuehi was doing well in training, but there were concerns about how he would hold up against physical African competition (this was more true against Cameroon). Whether this was really the main reason or not, who can say, but this is what was reported. Moreover who can really say what informs all these decisions, since we are not privy to all the information that the coaches are using to make their judgements. After all, it wasn't so long ago that Rohr was playing Omeruo ahead of Shehu at RB. Many assumed then that Rohr had no confidence in him, and that Shehu (plying his trade in Cyprus) should be dropped but Rohr kept inviting him and he grabbed his chance with both hands when he got it - which is what relegated Ebuehi to the bench.

No. I'm pretty sure that Rohr has always had confidence in Ebuehi (just as he had confidence in Shehu when he was not playing him) otherwise why field him against Argentina at all. Does it make sense to you that Rohr would field Ebuehi against Argentina if he didn't have belief in the young man? Sorry, but I think you're way off on this one.

Mind you, I agree with you that it was foolhardy of Rohr not to bring him on against Algeria (for the life of me, I can't understand it). But to then make that leap to conclude that Rohr didn't rate him, or understand what Ebuehi is capable of doing, that is where I strongly differ because from my reading of Rohr and how he has gone about his business, I just think that you're way off.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

mystic wrote:Dammy,

I think you're off base in suggesting that Rohr didn't previously rate Ebuehi (or didn't know how good he was).

First of all, Rohr if you have noticed doesn't repeatedly invite players he doesn't rate (as the likes of Nosa Igiebor and Anderson Esiti, amongst others, can readily attest).

Secondly, it was Rohr who stuck his neck out for Ebuehi, even after Tyrone had initially embarrassed him by snubbing his initial invitation. Indeed, you and I both know that many in Rohr's shoes would have closed the door on the young man after that, but Rohr was willing to take the bullet publicly and his interest in Ebuehi did not waver (keep in mind that the the jury on Ebuehi being of the required standard was still out at this point, so it was really down to Rohr's strong belief in his talent and potential).

As for Shehu starting over him vs South Africa, if I recall correctly, the reporting at the time was that Ebuehi was doing well in training, but there were concerns about how he would hold up against physical African competition (this was more true against Cameroon). Whether this was really the main reason or not, who can say, but this is what was reported. Moreover who can really say what informs all these decisions, since we are not privy to all the information that the coaches are using to make their judgements. After all, it wasn't so long ago that Rohr was playing Omeruo ahead of Shehu at RB. Many assumed then that Rohr had no confidence in him, and that Shehu (plying his trade in Cyprus) should be dropped but Rohr kept inviting him and he grabbed his chance with both hands when he got it - which is what relegated Ebuehi to the bench.

No. I'm pretty sure that Rohr has always had confidence in Ebuehi (just as he had confidence in Shehu when he was not playing him) otherwise why field him against Argentina at all. Does it make sense to you that Rohr would field Ebuehi against Argentina if he didn't have belief in the young man? Sorry, but I think you're way off on this one.

Mind you, I agree with you that it was foolhardy of Rohr not to bring him on against Algeria (for the life of me, I can't understand it). But to then make that leap to conclude that Rohr didn't rate him, or understand what Ebuehi is capable of doing, that is where I strongly differ because from my reading of Rohr and how he has gone about his business, I just think that you're way off.
That is what makes me to wonder whether Rohr does not know his capability. He had a spare sub to use and refused to use Ebuehi in a meaningless match.
I am happy
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Dammy wrote:
mystic wrote:Dammy,

That is what makes me to wonder whether Rohr does not know his capability. He had a spare sub to use and refused to use Ebuehi in a meaningless match.

Believe me, I understand where you are coming from. What I disagree with is your resulting conclusion.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Algeria match wasn’t a meaningless match. The coach simply didn’t want to lose that game. He wanted to rightfully had a winning record and changing a defender can have a negative impact on a game.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I suspect that the Argentina game would have fundamentally changed Rohr’s outlook. That first half would have shown him how many things he has been doing wrong so far.