Is Enyeama...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Robotnik
Egg
Egg
Re: Is Enyeama...

Post by Robotnik »

Even Enyeama is not without flaws. Check out Nigeria vs Greece and Korea 2010, Nigeria vs France 2014, His last (100 cap) match Nigeria vs Uganda. There was a reason why Berti Vogts took Ejide over Enyeama in 2008

Look at how Uzoho was able to deal with all the crosses Argentina threw at him.

When face with a similar situation against France at 2014 Enyeama once came out and fluffed leading to Pogba scoring.

I would like to see Uzoho's reflexes on grounders. But we are currently set up at the back to allow few shots from coming in so Uzoho will be fine. Enyeama started in 2002 at the age of 20. Uzoho is 19.

I see a situation where Enyeama is back, he is assessed in training. Coaches prefer Uzoho, Enyeama starts throwing tantrums. This destroys the mood in camp. This is why it's better to avoid the situation altogether.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
john12 wrote:His age is irrelevant. Come January if his performing fit and playing consistently then enyeama should be our starting goalkeeper. After all, goal keepers get better with age

Age is a factor which is why the Peter Rufai of 1998 was not the same goalkeeper we saw in 1994. I remember David Seaman’s last year with England when he was conceding goals from corners and free kicks 40 yards out because age meant he could no longer move his feet with the same agility.

The US are not going to the World Cup because they refused to drop the ageing Tim Howard. Go and see the second goal he conceded in Trinidad that knocked them out of the World Cup to get my point.

We all love Vince very dearly and would like to thank him for his service to the nation but all good things must come to an end. Vince does not not want to return because he fears destroying all he has achieved by overstaying his welcome.

Francis Uzoho is our new goalkeeper. End of discussion.

This will be my last contribution on the goalkeeping debate because it has now become an irritating distraction. Absolutely pointless!
Ayo, the issue with Rufai in 98 wasn't his age but that he wasn't in shape. He was a late call up after Shoronmu's injury and Baruwa's howler against Yugoslavia. Rufai was summoned from his sofa straight to camp on the eve of the world cup...allegedly.

I like Uzoho as well but stop lying to justify your position.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Robotnik wrote:Even Enyeama is not without flaws. Check out Nigeria vs Greece and Korea 2010, Nigeria vs France 2014, His last (100 cap) match Nigeria vs Uganda. There was a reason why Berti Vogts took Ejide over Enyeama in 2008

Look at how Uzoho was able to deal with all the crosses Argentina threw at him.

When face with a similar situation against France at 2014 Enyeama once came out and fluffed leading to Pogba scoring.

I would like to see Uzoho's reflexes on grounders. But we are currently set up at the back to allow few shots from coming in so Uzoho will be fine. Enyeama started in 2002 at the age of 20. Uzoho is 19.

I see a situation where Enyeama is back, he is assessed in training. Coaches prefer Uzoho, Enyeama starts throwing tantrums. This destroys the mood in camp. This is why it's better to avoid the situation altogether.
There is no player who doesn't make mistakes, but Enyeama is a very good GK and his personal awards in every league he's played in show that. Now, Uzoho is an up and comer, but no need to lie about his ability to deal with crosses as he didn't face many crosses against Argentina. If you watched the two games he played for Deportivo you will see him flapping at crosses even at 6'5" and luckily the opposition missed. But the fact that you are using half of a game where he wasn't really tested to say he's better at crosses than Enyeama simply shows your bias.

Enyeama did not start in 2002, he was the backup to a seasoned Shorunmu, he only started the England game because we were already out of contention for the next round. Not to mention at that point he had a couple of seasons under his belt playing professionally, Uzoho has 2.5 games so far.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

This debate is pointless as those calling for Enyeama's return are not even interested in his form, wellbeing, the state of the team or whether he is up to it or not. Their calls are 100% sentimental, devoid of reason and a desperate attempt to hark back to the good old days.

Has it ever occurred to any of them that Enyeama may not be as good as he was in 2014? What then?
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

Even if uzoho is the future what if he gets injured. If enyeama is fit and willing he should be there. You take your best players on form period. This is not sentimental it's common sense.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:This debate is pointless as those calling for Enyeama's return are not even interested in his form, wellbeing, the state of the team or whether he is up to it or not. Their calls are 100% sentimental, devoid of reason and a desperate attempt to hark back to the good old days.

Has it ever occurred to any of them that Enyeama may not be as good as he was in 2014? What then?
There is no way that Enyeama has dropped off so much that he can't make the team, it's just not possible. Enyeama is the best Nigerian GK ever, and when you are that good...even at your WORST, you are still squad worthy.

I saw Papilo on his LAST LEGS, at his worst, he was still the most intelligent and technical player on the pitch! Okocha could have made the squad 3/4 years after he retired. These guys at their worst are still better than the average.

Mikel at his WORST will still be better than the average SE player (Well unless we become like a France or a Germany). That is how it goes.

I haven't sen his condition, but I would be willing to bet he is better than Akpeyi and Ezenwa right now. As for Uzoho, even if Uzoho is better, there is still the issue of experience, which does matter. Uzoho has 0% experience.

So no matter which way we slice and dice it, unless we decide that Enyeama has committed an unforgivable crime and is exiled from the team, or unless his fitness is beyond repair, he makes the squad, and would be in contention. It's that simple.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

If Enyeama, comes back. I pray the team chemistry we have at the moment, is still maintained. Oliseh actually made charges of him having an unwholesome influence, on some of the players. The man was captain for a huge chunk of his time as our keeper, is he going to agree to be a floor member.
I've honestly, never seen the sort of unity and camaraderie in any of our past national teams, than this Mikel led team. They win, lose together, and play for each other. I would take an inexperienced Uzoho, over an experienced Enyeama that might want to rock the boat.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Damunk wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
furiously frank wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:See how Tim Howard, the most decorated US player ever got them knocked out of Russia 2018:

At 38 (Real age, not football one), Howard simply could no longer move his feet. In 2014, Howard would have caught both balls with one hand. He holds the World Cup record for making the most saves in one match.

Today, he is seen in the US the same way we viewed Peter Rufai in 1998. This is what happens when a nation refuses to move on and respect the wishes of its icons to retire.

Vince decided to bow out when the ovation was loudest. Why should he risk his reputation by coming back?

It is only the footballing naive that think that the Vincent Enyeama of 2018 will be the same player we all marvelled at in 2018. Na for video game player no dey old!
There is something wrong with you wAyo!
Do you get time to read over your own post and see how ludicrous your argument here sound?
You start out referencing Buffon etc some of whom are way older than Vince and when they challenge you , you turn to "they started early" but Damunk refer to the fact that Vince started at early age too and you dirisively dismissed everyone by claiming you know Vince does not want to come back and now that Cellular turned down on its head, you descend into ad hominem
Son grow up
You are talking incoherent nonsense. My point about Buffon, Cassilas, etc was that they all started as teenagers and as such Uzoho is perfectly suited to be Nigeria's number one.

Take it leave it but Enyeama is not interested in coming back. Why is that so hard for some of you to get into your skulls?
The thing that is so hard to understand is your incoherence. :idea:
You dey mind him. Look at that ad hominem attack again.
Well, his 4 yearly appearance will soon end :mrgreen:
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Damunk wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Here we have an opportunity to produce our own Zoff, Buffon, Casillas, Zenga, Khan, Mier, Shilton, Jennings, Scmiechel, Van der Sar, Chilavet, etc because we have got this guy young. All hands should now be on deck to make sure we move ahead, not go backwards!
You obviously don't see the irony of your post do you?

Almost all those goalkeeping legends were/are actively manning the posts for their national teams at an age OLDER than Enyeama is currently, yet you are advocating for him to be dropped simply because he is recovering from injury and you have found one 'sweet 19' that has been tried for all but 45mins. :idea:

Who exactly provides the best prospect of becoming our version of Dino Zoff or Vaan der Sar - Enyeama or Uzoho?
Dang!
Bro, you're losing it big time.... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You dey mind the man.....
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

At least no one has said Enyeama's high standards have dropped. Until he got injured, he was in very good form and played a big role in Lille getting to the French Cup final and a respectable position in the league. This season without Enyeama and other senior players, Lille have struggled and are battling relegation. If Enyeama can get back to his form prior to the injury then there is no debate about whether he should be in the WC squad or not. He is a definite shoo in and any contrary opinion is based on sentiments.
I am happy
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

okidoki wrote:If Enyeama, comes back. I pray the team chemistry we have at the moment, is still maintained. Oliseh actually made charges of him having an unwholesome influence, on some of the players. The man was captain for a huge chunk of his time as our keeper, is he going to agree to be a floor member.
I've honestly, never seen the sort of unity and camaraderie in any of our past national teams, than this Mikel led team. They win, lose together, and play for each other. I would take an inexperienced Uzoho, over an experienced Enyeama that might want to rock the boat.
The same Oliseh disrespected Mikel by giving the armband to Musa of all people and we saw the outcome. Now you are telling us how well a Mikel led team is doing, so maybe the problem was not Enyeama or Mikel but actually Oliseh. I also doubt Rohr would just sit around and allow his team chemistry to drop because of one player, we have to trust that he knows what he's doing.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Dammy wrote:At least no one has said Enyeama's high standards have dropped. Until he got injured, he was in very good form and played a big role in Lille getting to the French Cup final and a respectable position in the league. This season without Enyeama and other senior players, Lille have struggled and are battling relegation. If Enyeama can get back to his form prior to the injury then there is no debate about whether he should be in the WC squad or not. He is a definite shoo in and any contrary opinion is based on sentiments.

Let us resume this debate in January when Vince gets a club. I must admit, I am eager to see his current form too.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
okidoki wrote:If Enyeama, comes back. I pray the team chemistry we have at the moment, is still maintained. Oliseh actually made charges of him having an unwholesome influence, on some of the players. The man was captain for a huge chunk of his time as our keeper, is he going to agree to be a floor member.
The same Oliseh disrespected Mikel by giving the armband to Musa of all people and we saw the outcome. Now you are telling us how well a Mikel led team is doing, so maybe the problem was not Enyeama or Mikel but actually Oliseh. I also doubt Rohr would just sit around and allow his team chemistry to drop because of one player, we have to trust that he knows what he's doing.
Nigerians have VERY SHORT memories.
Or maybe it is just very selective....
Oliseh accuses Mikel, Enyeama of sabotage
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/f ... otage.html

Former Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh has fingered goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama, current captain John Obi Mikel and Victor Moses as key figures that tried to derail him during his time as the Super Eagles coach.
Oliseh had a misunderstanding with Mikel soon after he came on as Keshi’s replacement last July and also fell out with Enyeama at a training camp in Belgium.
Speaking on some of the events that transpired during his short reign as the Nigeria coach, Oliseh suggested that Mikel and Enyeama tried to sabotage him, while also berating Moses for not showing enough commitment to him.
“My first official act was to call the...(more)
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Former Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh has fingered goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama, current captain John Obi Mikel and Victor Moses as key figures that tried to derail him during his time as the Super Eagles coach.
Oliseh had a misunderstanding with Mikel soon after he came on as Keshi’s replacement last July and also fell out with Enyeama at a training camp in Belgium.
Speaking on some of the events that transpired during his short reign as the Nigeria coach, Oliseh suggested that Mikel and Enyeama tried to sabotage him, while also berating Moses for not showing enough commitment to him.
Dude, you are proving my point. So those guys did not try to derail the previous coach and are now not derailing Rohr abi? So maybe the issue was Oliseh and not those players....and where did Oliseh team get after he marginalized those guys? And also why aren't you calling for Mikel and Moses to be left off the team like you seem to be implying for Enyeama?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Dude, you are proving my point. So those guys did not try to derail the previous coach and are now not derailing Rohr abi? So maybe the issue was Oliseh and not those players....and where did Oliseh team get after he marginalized those guys? And also why aren't you calling for Mikel and Moses to be left off the team like you seem to be implying for Enyeama?
I'm not looking at who is right between Oliseh, and Enyeama. All I'm saying is that we have something good going on at this moment, and I hope his inclusion doesn't derail it. If he will come in, and accept the team has moved on leadership wise, then its okay. We clearly need a more experienced keeper, but at what cost? I think we take our chances, than kill the wonderful chemistry we have at the moment.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

okidoki wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

I'm not looking at who is right between Oliseh, and Enyeama. All I'm saying is that we have something good going on at this moment, and I hope his inclusion doesn't derail it. If he will come in, and accept the team has moved on leadership wise, then its okay. We clearly need a more experienced keeper, but at what cost? I think we take our chances, than kill the wonderful chemistry we have at the moment.
I agree if he no gree Rohr better find a door for him to comot, but I'm sure just like Mikel and Moses haven't caused any issues, neither will he.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

maceo4 wrote:
okidoki wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

I agree if he no gree Rohr better find a door for him to comot, but I'm sure just like Mikel and Moses haven't caused any issues, neither will he.
But unlike him Mikel and Moses no cause wahala before. With that said, if Enyeama can get in shape then he is a must for Russia.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger