High Jinx, Peru vs New Zealand - Psychological warfare.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
High Jinx, Peru vs New Zealand - Psychological warfare.

Post by Cellular »

‘They used every trick in the book’: New Zealand complains about Peru fans’ antics in World Cup qualifier
By Marissa Payne November 16 at 12:42 PM
Peru supporters have been accused of dirty tricks in their team’s World Cup qualifying win over New Zealand. (AFP/Getty Images)

For Peruvians, Wednesday night’s 2-0 victory over New Zealand was cause for celebration, and fans celebrated so hard after the win that they reportedly triggered an alert on an earthquake app. Not only did Peru clinch the final spot in next year’s World Cup, but it ended a 36-year drought.

For New Zealand, the night was less than ideal — and not just because it lost. The team is complaining that Peru violated the rules of fair play to win by engaging in a little psychological warfare before and during the game in Lima.

“They used every trick in the book to try to put us off,” New Zealand defender Andrew Durante told the New Zealand Herald after the loss.

[World Cup field set: Iceland’s in, Italy’s out and compelling story lines abound]

The “they” in this scenario wasn’t the team, but Peru’s fans, some of whom shined green laser pointers in the eyes of New Zealand players during the game. Several spectators on social media pointed out the green lights on Twitter, calling their use “shameful” and “disgusting.”
The lasers came after two other reported incidents near the team’s hotel rattled the players the night before the game. The first, according to Newshub, involved three military jets adorned with the message “Vamos Peru” executing low-altitude maneuvers over JW Marriott. The second, according to the Sun, involved fireworks being set off at 3:30 a.m. outside the hotel.

“We had a strong mind-set that we weren’t going to let any of that affect us,” Durante said, underlining that the team doesn’t want to use any of that as an excuse. “We knew that they would throw everything at us, and they did, and we rode the storm. It was a huge challenge. [Peru is] a very good footballing nation . . . [with] the support of the nation behind them. It was always going to be a huge task. . . . But over the 90 minutes, they were the better team.”

With Peru’s berth secured, all 32 teams have been determined for next year’s World Cup in Russia. On Thursday, FIFA announced the four pots that will be used when making the draw Dec. 1. They are:

Pot 1
Russia
Germany
Brazil
Portugal
Argentina
Belgium
Poland
France
Sports Break newsletter
National sports news, in your inbox daily.

Pot 2

Spain
Peru
Switzerland
England
Colombia
Mexico
Uruguay
Croatia

Pot 3

Denmark
Iceland
Costa Rica
Sweden
Tunisia
Egypt
Senegal
Iran

Pot 4

Serbia
Nigeria
Australia
Japan
Morocco
Panama
Korea Republic
Saudi Arabia
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... 40c6d09103
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: High Jinx, Peru vs New Zealand - Psychological warfare.

Post by Kabalega »

Some of us have seen all that and worse.
  • Lasers are the norm in Egypt.
    6+ hour Long waits at MMA are a given.
    No flights to PH after the SE have taken the last daily flight. :lol:
    Extra spicy hot pepper in everything.

Training on barren primary school grounds.

Heck, fans raiding the opponents locker room and making out with soccer boots all with the blessing of the Tunisians. :shock:
The list is endless.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Ok Peru should be punished for unsportsmanlike conduct or something.
But when occidental nations complain about cheating, unfair conduct and the like,...a part of my brain goes back to my very recent knowledge of history.

Hmmm,...Karma is a #@$#%
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Kabalega wrote:Some of us have seen all that and worse.

Heck, fans raiding the opponents locker room and making out with soccer boots all with the blessing of the Tunisians. :shock:
The list is endless.
Dude if you played all your matches at home you'd still not qualify for the WC. You are simply not good enough, until you start having the can do attitudes of West African and lose this victim mentality you won't smell the WC. :taunt:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Kabalega wrote:
Training on barren primary school grounds. [/list]

So trying to make you feel at home by giving you a training pitch you are used to is now a bad thing?

So ungrateful! :roll:
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Kabalega wrote:Some of us have seen all that and worse.

The list is endless.
When you play "school boys" football, you'll get school boys pitch. It seems making you feel at home is now a crime. I mean look at the joy of those players, like fly to she!t, chasing each other around :sneaky:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

1naija wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Training on barren primary school grounds. [/list]

So trying to make you feel at home by giving you a training pitch you are used to is now a bad thing?

So ungrateful! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Una dey wicked here...
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: 1Naija na bad guy. And some people never learn. So they remain local champions. Continue to beef Naija as if there's a title to be won for doing that and remain visionless and stunted.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe