Mikel Can Write His Legacy

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dr. Wazobia
Egg
Egg
Re: Mikel Can Write His Legacy

Post by Dr. Wazobia »

Mikel is undoubtedly one of Africa’s most cerebral players (all time). If he hits a purple patch, and the team play a fearless brand of football, Nigeria will get to the WC Semi-finals. It is all about belief...
--- Let brotherly love continue ---
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

The YeyeMan wrote:
truetalk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
danfo driver wrote:If Nigeria wins the World Cup, he would have captained us to two major trophies. He is only 30, and can make the next ANC.... he will just have to change his role in the team, as he is getting older. Perhaps play deeper.
Forget Nigeria winning the World Cup. Not happening. But winning the next two ANCs should definitely be achievable.
Don't bet against it. We've had the players to get to the Semi Finals of the World Cup in every world cup since 1994. The only exception might be 1998 where injuries to a lot of players (Dosu, Shorunmu, Shakpoke) limited the pool of available players.
Mba! Nigeria did not have the players to go far in 2010 and 2002. No way!

In fact 1998 was one of the better squads Nigeria put out. If any team had the potential to go far it was that lot and the 94 squad.

I think people should temper down their expectations. Winning a WC no be beans.
We didn't have a good enough team in 2006 (when we didn't qualify) and 2010. But 94, 98, 2002 (ANC team not the Onigbinde's team), and 2014 were good enough to make the quarters and perhaps if we were fortunate the semi finals.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

theYemster wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
truetalk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
danfo driver wrote:If Nigeria wins the World Cup, he would have captained us to two major trophies. He is only 30, and can make the next ANC.... he will just have to change his role in the team, as he is getting older. Perhaps play deeper.
Forget Nigeria winning the World Cup. Not happening. But winning the next two ANCs should definitely be achievable.
Don't bet against it. We've had the players to get to the Semi Finals of the World Cup in every world cup since 1994. The only exception might be 1998 where injuries to a lot of players (Dosu, Shorunmu, Shakpoke) limited the pool of available players.

In fact 1998 was one of the better squads Nigeria put out. If any team had the potential to go far it was that lot and the 94 squad.

We didn't have a good enough team in 2006 (when we didn't qualify) and 2010. But 94, 98, 2002 (ANC team not the Onigbinde's team), and 2014 were good enough to make the quarters and perhaps if we were fortunate the semi finals.
I disagree on the 2014 team - there wasn't much depth at all. Onazi > Reuben.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Leicester won the EPL.

Trump became US president.

Britain left the EU.

Could Nigeria win the 2018 World Cup?

Well, a lot of unexpected things have happened in the world lately... :rotf:
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

This team's strength is in everyone willing to put in the dirty work. We all know that once you have an Okocha or Kanu in your team, this becomes a problem. Not everyone is tracking back and no one is making runs into the box.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

theYemster wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
truetalk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Mr. Patriot. Do your research. Missing the 2006 World Cup was the biggest choke job in the history of Nigerian football. That was potentially the strongest SE team we ever had before now. Think about the teams that won the silver in the 2005 U-20 WC and the Olympics. The guys below were at their prime & were good enough to get to the Semis of that World Cup.

Vincent Enyeama
Joseph Yobo
Chidi Odiah
Garba Lawal
Seyi Olofinjana
Osaze Odemwingie
JJ Okocha
Yakubu
Nwankwo Kanu
Chris Obodo
Obafemi Martins
Ike Uche
Kalu Uche

The kids from who would have been good enough for the squad (most from Sia1's silver winning side)

Mikel
Taye Taiwo
Nsofor
Obasi
Efe Ambrose
Ebenezer Ajilore
Dele Adeleye
Late Olubayo Adefemi

If you think this team could not get to the WC Semis, then let's not bother.

I have already written about the 2010 team.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Truetalk be honest. Do you think that team you listed had better caliber of players than Argentina, Italy, Spain, brazil, France, Netherlands, Portugal or Germany in that 2006?? Nigerians just like talking nonsense out of their mouth. We accuse the English of overhyping their team upon any win but we’re worse. Let’s be honest talent wise eagles current team are group stage/round of 16/quarter finals. We simply don’t have the players to win World Cup nor talent. However, with God all things are possible. many unusual things has happened this year so us overachieving is possible. We should just support the coach, team, and players wholeheartedly then hope for the best. I have never seen any team that has won a World Cup without at least 6 world class players on their roaster
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

john12 wrote:Truetalk be honest. Do you think that team you listed had better caliber of players than Argentina, Italy, Spain, brazil, France, Netherlands, Portugal or Germany in that 2006?? Nigerians just like talking nonsense out of their mouth. We accuse the English of overhyping their team upon any win but we’re worse. Let’s be honest talent wise eagles current team are group stage/round of 16/quarter finals. We simply don’t have the players to win World Cup nor talent. However, with God all things are possible. many unusual things has happened this year so us overachieving is possible. We should just support the coach, team, and players wholeheartedly then hope for the best. I have never seen any team that has won a World Cup without at least 6 world class players on their roaster
The proper response to this comment would have been unduly harsh, but I'll go easy on you and say that there was a reason I mentioned the boys that got to the finals of the 2005 WYC and the 2008 Olympics (two major tournaments that sandwiched the 06 WC from which he could have pulled an outstanding core of young players that excelled at the global stage). These guys dominated both finals and were clearly robbed in at least one of those games. Compare their so called club profiles to the Argentines they faced.

I'll just quote from someone from another social forum to help you out.

Once we select based on merit and take care of the 'off the field' factors, the Nigerian team is always much much greater than sum of its parts. Strategy people call that synergy. Even the boring and conservative accountants have the concept of goodwill to try to explain similar situations.

Let me post this again because I think it's fitting in this instance:

, like most football analysts, I think you're underestimating the level of Nigerian players due to the football clubs they play or do not play for. A few years ago I published an article in a Naija daily regarding a peculiar Nigerian perspectives in football.

Take this for instance, when the Nigerian U-23 team lined up at the China Olympics soccer event final, the profile of the players could not have been more different from their Argentine counterparts:

At CD Argentina had Ezekiel Garay of Real Madrid, Nigeria had Dele Adeleye from the bench of dutch basement club Sparta Rotterdam. Just over a year ago, he was at Shooting Stars, oscillating between Division 1 and 2.

At LB, with the responsibility of marking the dreaded Leo Messi; yes Lionel Messi of Barcelona, was Chibuzor Okonkwo from Bayelsa United, a right footed player converted to LB.

In CM, where Argentina had Riquelme, Gago and Mascherano, arguably the best DM in the world at that time, Nigeria presented Ebenezer Ajilore of Mydjtilland and from the bench at Sparta, Sanni Kaita. A few years ago, Ajilore plied his trade at Ebiede Babes, a Lagos youth club.

But as the game unfolded, the confidence of the Nigerian players and the cautious approach their opponents showed, belied the reputation and CV of Argentina's players.

This effectively proved two things, if you can believe it:

(i) that the club status of the Nigerian players does not accurately reflect their real quality; and that

(ii) a new measure is urgently required to determine the quality of our players; one that is not entirely dependent on the judgment of European club managers whose philosophy of the game and needs, vis a vis their clubs, may not necessarily be in alignment with the development of the average Nigerian player, or the SE.

http://www.nairaland.com/3018619/super- ... -2018/2172
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

The YeyeMan wrote:
theYemster wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
truetalk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

I disagree on the 2014 team - there wasn't much depth at all. Onazi > Reuben.
Yes there wasn't much depth on paper but the team still qualified for the round of 16 and was jobbed out of a potential victory over France had both Giroud and Matuidi been rightly sent off and Emenike's goal not unjustly ruled out.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

truetalk wrote:
theYemster wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
truetalk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Mr. Patriot. Do your research. Missing the 2006 World Cup was the biggest choke job in the history of Nigerian football. That was potentially the strongest SE team we ever had before now. Think about the teams that won the silver in the 2005 U-20 WC and the Olympics. The guys below were at their prime & were good enough to get to the Semis of that World Cup.

Vincent Enyeama
Joseph Yobo
Chidi Odiah
Garba Lawal
Seyi Olofinjana
Osaze Odemwingie
JJ Okocha
Yakubu
Nwankwo Kanu
Chris Obodo
Obafemi Martins
Ike Uche
Kalu Uche

The kids from who would have been good enough for the squad (most from Sia1's silver winning side)

Mikel
Taye Taiwo
Nsofor
Obasi
Efe Ambrose
Ebenezer Ajilore
Dele Adeleye
Late Olubayo Adefemi

If you think this team could not get to the WC Semis, then let's not bother.

I have already written about the 2010 team.
The fact that they choked during the qualifiers means they were favored to qualify over Angola; it doesn't mean they were good enough to compete for the WC semis.

But anyways you could be right though I want really feeling that team. The only team I preferred them to was the 2010 team. Now that team was a sloppy mess.

So far my favorite world cup teams are ranked as follows:

I have a good feeling about the 2018 version. Hopefully that should slides in above the 1998 team at the very worst.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯