Mikel Can Write His Legacy

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Mikel Can Write His Legacy

Post by danfo driver »

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/11/16/ch ... her-teams/

Chidozie Awaziem – Having Mikel As Captain Gives Us An Edge Against Other Teams
November 16, 2017
Nantes of France defender Chidozie Awaziem says the importance of John Obi Mikel to the senior national team of Nigeria cannot be over emphasised as it gives them a natural edge against opponent.

Speaking exclusively to Owngoalnigeria.com, the 20 year old who put in an impressive shift for Nigeria in their 4-2 win over Argentina on Tuesday said Mikel’s winning mentality is rubbing off on the team.

” The captain (Mikel) gives us an edge, he is a serial winner and his mentality of we can win all games is working for us on the pitch. We approach games without fear because he keeps on encouraging us to fight “, Awaziem told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” In the game against Argentina even at 2-0 down, he urged us to keep on playing to our strength. We kept on moving and got rewarded for our efforts, he is magical.

” Beside playing alongside him to some of us is enough reason to put in your best because few years ago we were watching him on television for Chelsea. You can’t afford to give less when he is giving all”.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Mikel Can Write His Legacy

Post by danfo driver »

If Nigeria wins the World Cup, he would have captained us to two major trophies. He is only 30, and can make the next ANC.... he will just have to change his role in the team, as he is getting older. Perhaps play deeper.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

danfo driver wrote:If Nigeria wins the World Cup, he would have captained us to two major trophies. He is only 30, and can make the next ANC.... he will just have to change his role in the team, as he is getting older. Perhaps play deeper.
Forget Nigeria winning the World Cup. Not happening. But winning the next two ANCs should definitely be achievable.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Mikel id a graduate of the Yobo school of leadership. He leads by example and not by brute force that many here consider great leadership. I remember many here saying Keshi (RIP) was a great captain because he used to yell at his teammates even slapping them at times. True effective leaders don't yell. They lead by example like Yobo, and now Mikel.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

My humble prayer is good 100% health and fitness for all our players. Barring injury, on any given day, we can beat the best the world has to offer. If we are fit, we have a fair shot at glory. The important thing is the team is on the right track and under no illusions. Onwards and upwards.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

The YeyeMan wrote:
danfo driver wrote:If Nigeria wins the World Cup, he would have captained us to two major trophies. He is only 30, and can make the next ANC.... he will just have to change his role in the team, as he is getting older. Perhaps play deeper.
Forget Nigeria winning the World Cup. Not happening. But winning the next two ANCs should definitely be achievable.

Thats your problem. Me, I am looking forward to a world cup win!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

He can actually make the 2022 WC sef.
He just needs to look after himself, like Pirlo.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

danfo driver wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Nigeria can sure win WC 2018. All the team needs is to maintain a high level of team discipline.
With Mikel at the helm on the field, that can be achieved. As at this moment, there is no team among
the qualifiers that is overwhelmingly better than the SE. None.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

^see mouth..with your Akpeyi in goal eh?..chei naija people and mouth
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Don't bet against it. We've had the players to get to the Semi Finals of the World Cup in every world cup since 1994. The only exception might be 1998 where injuries to a lot of players (Dosu, Shorunmu, Shakpoke) limited the pool of available players.

It seems we've now sorted some of the off-field issues that have always plagued us. It would be stupid to bet against us making the Semis, & once that happens, you just never know.

They key gaps that remain to be filled in the team are 1 or 2 more goalkeepers having an opportunity to compete (not Akpeyi or Alampasu, but serious GKs who can help the team like Nwolokor), and settling on 2 quality options at Leftback (definitely not Echiejile). Amuzie, Aina & Idowu can compete for this.

As for Mikel, he has been flawless since the 2016 Olympics. If he gets us to the Semis & wins a Nation's Cup he automatically becomes our most successful captain ever. Yobo was officially captain the last time we won, though I think Vince wore the armband in most of the games.
Last edited by truetalk on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Bigpokey24 wrote:^see mouth..with your Akpeyi in goal eh?..chei naija people and mouth
all of them want to join mikel bandwagon now.......
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Yeye man there are certain players that somehow have this aura of greatness around them and are somehow destined to achieve great things..right from when he was a kid, Mikel has had this mojo around him.

Regarding the WC it all starts from the draw on Dec 1. A favourable draw and anything can happen. Rohr is going to the WC to fulfil a lifelong dream (not as a mercenary). The guy has struck gold with the array of talent at his disposal in Nigeria. This is a unique opportunity and he is preparing to take it with both hands. With Pinnick he has a NFF president who is ready to create the right environment and are aligned. I just have this feeling Nigeria is going to carry the dark horse tag immediately we make it into the round of 16. Mikel is destined for greatness and he is going to the WC to achieve this, he has a winning mentality and the team will look to him....

This WC is going to unprecedented. 2 African teams will likely make the quarters.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

danfo driver wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

No, my friend, looking forward to a World Cup win is your problem. :D
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

jmo is overdue for a nickname and I think field marshal fits
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

truetalk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Don't bet against it. We've had the players to get to the Semi Finals of the World Cup in every world cup since 1994. The only exception might be 1998 where injuries to a lot of players (Dosu, Shorunmu, Shakpoke) limited the pool of available players.
Mba! Nigeria did not have the players to go far in 2010 and 2002. No way!

In fact 1998 was one of the better squads Nigeria put out. If any team had the potential to go far it was that lot and the 94 squad.

I think people should temper down their expectations. Winning a WC no be beans.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Mr Shows wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Yeye man there are certain players that somehow have this aura of greatness around them and are somehow destined to achieve great things..right from when he was a kid, Mikel has had this mojo around him.

Regarding the WC it all starts from the draw on Dec 1. A favourable draw and anything can happen. Rohr is going to the WC to fulfil a lifelong dream (not as a mercenary). The guy has struck gold with the array of talent at his disposal in Nigeria. This is a unique opportunity and he is preparing to take it with both hands. With Pinnick he has a NFF president who is ready to create the right environment and are aligned. I just have this feeling Nigeria is going to carry the dark horse tag immediately we make it into the round of 16. Mikel is destined for greatness and he is going to the WC to achieve this, he has a winning mentality and the team will look to him....

This WC is going to unprecedented. 2 African teams will likely make the quarters.
Yes, things do seem to be aligning but I refuse to get carried away just yet. Hope you're right, of course...
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Yeye man.... It's just a quiet confidence... Nothing to start shouting from the rooftops... The champagne remains on ice for now
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

The YeyeMan wrote:
truetalk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

In fact 1998 was one of the better squads Nigeria put out. If any team had the potential to go far it was that lot and the 94 squad.

You are spot on. This squad is nowhere near as talented as the 98 team. We have to be honest with ourselves.

It is nice to have organisation and discipline but that can only take you so far. To win the World Cup, you need about three or four world class players in your team.

At the moment, only Mikel remotely approaches anything near world class. Others like Moses, Uzoho, Ndidi, Iwobi and Onyekuru have great potential but are they of the same calibre as as Okocha, Kanu, Finidi, Taribo, Babayaro, Oliseh, etc. I doubt it!
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

We are iin a golden era of Nigerian football because mikel is active
Mikel consttiutes a one -man golden generation
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

The YeyeMan wrote:
truetalk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

I'm not talking of the squads that went to the World Cup. We've left some of our most in-form players off our WC squads.

In 2002, we went without TJ, Oliseh, Finidi, Oruma and others due to Patrick Ekeji, the Sports Minister and Onigbinde.

The Senegal squad that that beat us (in extra time after we played better, missed a penalty and hit the bar) made the Quarter Finals. Our administration considered the loss (in the ANC a few months to the WC) a sacrilege and tore the team apart.

In 2010, Mikel & Ike Uche's injuries hurt a bit, but the WC team was good enough for the Semis. They had more scoring chances than Argentina. Taiwo got injured and our friend Elderson that replaced him got injured asap (Aside: Elderson has been hurting us for a very long time. He dashed North Korea a goal just before that tournament).

Despite that, the boys were up for the challenge against Greece and were dominating until Kaita happened.

In the 3rd game, Vince and Yakubu killed us. Lagerback also had a weird selection. I think he left Martins and Osaze on the bench for Takubu. I was at that game and studied the draws and if we beat Korea, I thought we had a clear path to the Semis. The 2010 team balled and played very well in all their games. They were let down by the most corrupt NFF ever, injuries (Mikel, Ike Uche, Taiwo, no sure I should add Echiejile, etc), some bad luck (Kaita) poor performance from key players (Yakubu & Vince) when it mattered, and some dodgy coaching by Lagerback who did not seem to know his personnel will.

I'm too angry to even talk about 2006. I think that was potentially the best squad we had ever put together. I just look at the group Angola ended up with (Portugal & Co). We could have sleepwalked through that group. It was not a deep WC at all. Then again, Chairman CC was our coach, so you never know.

That is why Pinnick & co deserve some credit despite many glaring flaws.
Last edited by truetalk on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I see Iwobi stepping up to World class in the next one year.

Playing for Nigeria is doing big things for his confidence and games like this (v Arg) might be pivotal to his crossing that psychological barrier that elevates him to the next level.

He is just 21 years old, literally has the world at his feet and in addition has Oga JJ to convince him he can be one of the world's best.

I saw a new swag in him in that Argentina game. I suspect his star is about to start rising steeply.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

The YeyeMan wrote:
truetalk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

98 team sucked. Once Shorunmu & Dosu got injured it was lights out. Maybe Baruwa could have helped, but the who country panicked after his circus act against Yugoslavia.

Kanu and Amokachi used politics to destroy that team. They were into the YEAA in the build up to the WC and were reported to be picking and dropping players. Ohenhen and Akpoborie were our most inform European strikers but were not selected. Kanu and Amokachi were injured but made the trip. We were always going to crack at some point.

Just sad that Rufai chose to end a 17 year SE career that way.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

So the 98 team sucked but managed to beat one of the favoured teams in the opening game before thoroughly outclassing Bulgaria?

I'm not concerned with off field shenanigans - only what happened on the pitch.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024