Mikel Can Write His Legacy

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Mikel Can Write His Legacy

Post by truetalk »

The YeyeMan wrote:So the 98 team sucked but managed to beat one of the favoured teams in the opening game before thoroughly outclassing Bulgaria?

I'm not concerned with off field shenanigans - only what happened on the pitch.
The off-field issues need to be right for you to go deep in a tournament. Talent can get you through a game or 2.

Those of us in Brasilia (ask Uncle Cmoke) knew we were almost done when all the camp wahala news broke.

Or you think the Ghanaian players waiting for their planeload of dollars to be flown to Brazil were focused on the upcoming game against Portugal?
Last edited by truetalk on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

truetalk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
truetalk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
danfo driver wrote:If Nigeria wins the World Cup, he would have captained us to two major trophies. He is only 30, and can make the next ANC.... he will just have to change his role in the team, as he is getting older. Perhaps play deeper.
Forget Nigeria winning the World Cup. Not happening. But winning the next two ANCs should definitely be achievable.
Don't bet against it. We've had the players to get to the Semi Finals of the World Cup in every world cup since 1994. The only exception might be 1998 where injuries to a lot of players (Dosu, Shorunmu, Shakpoke) limited the pool of available players.
Mba! Nigeria did not have the players to go far in 2010 and 2002. No way!

In fact 1998 was one of the better squads Nigeria put out. If any team had the potential to go far it was that lot and the 94 squad.

I think people should temper down their expectations. Winning a WC no be beans.
98 team sucked. Once Shorunmu & Dosu got injured it was lights out. Maybe Baruwa could have helped, but the who country panicked after his circus act against Yugoslavia.

Kanu and Amokachi used politics to destroy that team. They were into the YEAA in the build up to the WC and were reported to be picking and dropping players. Ohenhen and Akpoborie were our most inform European strikers but were not selected. Kanu and Amokachi were injured but made the trip. We were always going to crack at some point.

Just sad that Rufai chose to end a 17 year SE career that way.

Player selection is the main problem with SE, sentiments, fraudulent selections, emotional attachment to certain junk players, and favoritism is the norm.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote:Mikel id a graduate of the Yobo school of leadership. He leads by example and not by brute force that many here consider great leadership. I remember many here saying Keshi (RIP) was a great captain because he used to yell at his teammates even slapping them at times. True effective leaders don't yell. They lead by example like Yobo, and now Mikel.
Taisez-vous!!!

Mentioning the legendary Keshi with Yobo?

Taisez-vous!!! :curse: :curse:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

green4life wrote:My humble prayer is good 100% health and fitness for all our players. Barring injury, on any given day, we can beat the best the world has to offer. If we are fit, we have a fair shot at glory. The important thing is the team is on the right track and under no illusions. Onwards and upwards.
Amen!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

truetalk, if you're talking about whether or not we had the players to go deep into those tournaments then you're obviously are talking about the squad. The players who were left out are totally irrelevant to the discussion.

Your recollection of the Argentina game in 2010 is surprising. We didn't create more chances than they did. Enyeama was man of the match in that game for a reason. Nobody in their right mind went into the WC thinking Nigeria were potential semi-finalists.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

my only fear is that they get too reliant on him and crumble should he be targeted and go off injured
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Damunk wrote:I see Iwobi stepping up to World class in the next one year.

Playing for Nigeria is doing big things for his confidence and games like this (v Arg) might be pivotal to his crossing that psychological barrier that elevates him to the next level.

He is just 21 years old, literally has the world at his feet and in addition has Oga JJ to convince him he can be one of the world's best.

I saw a new swag in him in that Argentina game. I suspect his star is about to start rising steeply.
Kpom
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Legendary captain John Mikel Obi has cemented his place forever in the greatest SE XI ever. His career from that disastrous U17 WC tournament in Finland under Egu where he still shone like a bright star to the unforgetable 2005 silver in Holland where he came 2nd MVP behind Lionel Messi, has been just magical.

The indomitable spirit of JMO is steering this team and Gernot Rohr is rightly maximising it. I remember a match in Sportscity Lagos in 1995 against Egypt during our 1996 Olympics qualifiers where Kanu and JJ were totally unplayable and the giant Kingsley Obi-ekwo smashed a thunderous shot from way, way outside the box into the net. We all felt that day about our winning possibility in Atlanta. I am feeling that way again with this squad. :thumb:
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
truetalk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
danfo driver wrote:If Nigeria wins the World Cup, he would have captained us to two major trophies. He is only 30, and can make the next ANC.... he will just have to change his role in the team, as he is getting older. Perhaps play deeper.
Forget Nigeria winning the World Cup. Not happening. But winning the next two ANCs should definitely be achievable.
Don't bet against it. We've had the players to get to the Semi Finals of the World Cup in every world cup since 1994. The only exception might be 1998 where injuries to a lot of players (Dosu, Shorunmu, Shakpoke) limited the pool of available players.
Mba! Nigeria did not have the players to go far in 2010 and 2002. No way!

In fact 1998 was one of the better squads Nigeria put out. If any team had the potential to go far it was that lot and the 94 squad.

I think people should temper down their expectations. Winning a WC no be beans.

You are spot on. This squad is nowhere near as talented as the 98 team. We have to be honest with ourselves.

It is nice to have organisation and discipline but that can only take you so far. To win the World Cup, you need about three or four world class players in your team.

At the moment, only Mikel remotely approaches anything near world class. Others like Moses, Uzoho, Ndidi, Iwobi and Onyekuru have great potential but are they of the same calibre as as Okocha, Kanu, Finidi, Taribo, Babayaro, Oliseh, etc. I doubt it!
1998 team is the most overrated team Nigeria had ever fielded at a major tourney. The 94 team was by far superior.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

The YeyeMan wrote:So the 98 team sucked but managed to beat one of the favoured teams in the opening game before thoroughly outclassing Bulgaria?

Rewatching that match with a clear eye, you get the impression Nigeria were fortunate to win that game. We equalized from a Zubizarreta howler. Spain continuously ripped our leaden footed defense apart and missed a boatload of chances. Paraguay and Denmark were not so kind. That 98 "team" was more like a collection of very good players.

Wha choo looking at?!
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Scipio Africanus wrote:

Rewatching that match with a clear eye, you get the impression Nigeria were fortunate to win that game. We equalized from a Zubizarreta howler. Spain continuously ripped our leaden footed defense apart and missed a boatload of chances. Paraguay and Denmark were not so kind. That 98 "team" was more like a collection of very good players.
the 98 team was flawed in so many ways. It lacked a goalie, lacked a RB, lacked cohesion. All key attackers (Amuneke, Amokachi and Kanu) were all carrying injuries. Perhaps if we had left Troussier in charge, he could have fashioned a more cohesive but less talented team. That was a team that was destined to go nowhere but got lucky enough to beat Spain.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Scipio Africanus wrote:

Allo dem.. that was one of the greatest escape games we have ever been involved in . The Bulgaria game was a lot better game than the Spain game where we were extremely LUCKY to come away with a point, talkless of a win.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

amafolas wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:

the 98 team was flawed in so many ways. It lacked a goalie, lacked a RB, lacked cohesion. All key attackers (Amuneke, Amokachi and Kanu) were all carrying injuries. Perhaps if we had left Troussier in charge, he could have fashioned a more cohesive but less talented team. That was a team that was destined to go nowhere but got lucky enough to beat Spain.
Injury is what did the 98 team in. They carried folks who were recovering from injury and also got new people injured.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

The YeyeMan wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Thats your problem. Me, I am looking forward to a world cup win!
No, my friend, looking forward to a World Cup win is your problem. :D
Thank you. It is NOT a problem nor a burden to me. It is a privilege to look forward to the success of my dear country. :clap:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Mr Shows wrote:Yeye man.... It's just a quiet confidence... Nothing to start shouting from the rooftops... The champagne remains on ice for now
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The guy wants to force us to wallow in his hole of losers! We dont want!

No matter how good or how bad Nigeria does in 7-8 months time, I dont care. Between now and then, I am looking forward to a world cup win. :clap:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

joao wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Thats your problem. Me, I am looking forward to a world cup win!
Nigeria can sure win WC 2018. All the team needs is to maintain a high level of team discipline.
With Mikel at the helm on the field, that can be achieved. As at this moment, there is no team among
the qualifiers that is overwhelmingly better than the SE. None.
... "maintain a high level of team discipline" (avoid commotion within the team or in camp), play without fear, have some luck here and there and some exciting results will be achieved
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Mikel is the lynchpin of the team, hopefully he stays healthy, would have serious issues without him.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Funny how people start :agree: with me now about Nigeria should be thinking of win the dam world cup.
When I open a thread about Nigeria should be looking for the world cup gold not just take part in the world cup.Some people were laughing and to think some listed Italy as one of the fav when they were not even guarantee to make the world cup show how most our people think.

Mikel will walk into any world cup team and start same goes to Iwobi and Victor Moses.Iwobi outshine likes of Di Maria,Dybala, and the entire Argentina team,Make fun of their captain who is a Barca player.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

metalalloy wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:

Allo dem.. that was one of the greatest escape games we have ever been involved in . The Bulgaria game was a lot better game than the Spain game where we were extremely LUCKY to come away with a point, talkless of a win.
KPOM. After that game, I thought that if the ball had bounced another way we would have lost that game by 3-0 and it would have reflected the run of play. We were very very fortunate in that game. The good thing is we took 3 points but that game may have changed our World Cup in 1998.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
green4life wrote:My humble prayer is good 100% health and fitness for all our players. Barring injury, on any given day, we can beat the best the world has to offer. If we are fit, we have a fair shot at glory. The important thing is the team is on the right track and under no illusions. Onwards and upwards.
Amen!

We have personnel and structural weaknesses in MF.

And our fullbacks are either average, re-Echiejile, or inexperienced. Problems remain in the fullback positions and Argentina did expose that quite often...

Overall our defensive organization is suspect.

We have pace and quickness in attack, esp counterattack, and a tremendous team spirit, which will get you far...And now we have Uzoho, even though young and inexperienced. I'll take that and leave the rationalizations for Akpeyi to EII!!!

I'm still to be convinced by the coach and his tactical organization of the team...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Amen!

We have personnel and structural weaknesses in MF.

And our fullbacks are either average, re-Echiejile, or inexperienced. Problems remain in the fullback positions and Argentina did expose that quite often...

Overall our defensive organization is suspect.

We have pace and quickness in attack, esp counterattack, and a tremendous team spirit, which will get you far...And now we have Uzoho, even though young and inexperienced. I'll take that and leave the rationalizations for Akpeyi to EII!!!

I'm still to be convinced by the coach and his tactical organization of the team...

Good thing is that while these are all important to winning a League, it isnt as important in winning a tournament.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

maceo4 wrote:Mikel is the lynchpin of the team, hopefully he stays healthy, would have serious issues without him.
We need to be lucky with injuries. The pieces are in place and still being refined for improvement. But injuries are out of our control. Na my humble prayer be that.