Solace Chukwu's Analysis: SE v Argentina...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

opine
Egg
Egg
Re: Solace Chukwu's Analysis: SE v Argentina...

Post by opine »

metalalloy wrote:
Robotnik wrote:Fact:
Rohr messed up when he decided to play 3-5-2 in the first half against the attack minded Argentinians.
The personnel were still trying to understand how to work it when Argentina score 2 goals.
Contrary to popular belief, Nigeria did not play 3-5-2 in the second half.
We played the same formation we have always been playing when in bunker mode, which is 5-3-2.
The difference was that we did not revert to 4-2-3-1 when in possession.
The change in full backs (Idowu and Ebuehi) helped to translate /actualize the formation Rohr intended - 3-5-2
The goal keeper helped restore confidence to the team.
It should be noted, as a caveat, that this was the first time there had been a deviation from 4–2–3–1 under Rohr, and the team had only had one training session. That in itself made the sudden decision to press high impossible to understand — as we have established, this is a team that almost always prefers to sit deeper in a compact shape.
Isn't the purpose of friendlies to try out systems? For the most part, he has been playing a 4231 since he started managing Nigeria. He had an opportunity to try out an alternative against an excellent team that is known for possession and he is getting criticized for that? When is he supposed to try out other formations and approaches? In competitive games?
My brother ask am oh. Na wa
Tbite wrote: Yes we have deadweights in our team like Babatunde, Agbim and Rueben, but they are OUR deadweights! Our wastepipes! We must love them...respect them! If we do not love our junks....who will? Who?
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Game of two halves most definitely. The Argentines had no answer for the speed and combination play of Nigeria's attackers in the second half.

I do disagree that Ebuehi is more attacking than Shehu. He was good but I think it is too early to start rating him above Shehu who has been very good and reliable in many SE matches. As for Idowu, I think he is still behind Elderson and Aina in the pecking order. He scored and kept up defensively but I didn't see him play the ball much during his time on the field.

Overall though, I think the SE can play a very effective counter attacking style in the WC
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

YUJAM wrote:Game of two halves most definitely. The Argentines had no answer for the speed and combination play of Nigeria's attackers in the second half.

I do disagree that Ebuehi is more attacking than Shehu. He was good but I think it is too early to start rating him above Shehu who has been very good and reliable in many SE matches. As for Idowu, I think he is still behind Elderson and Aina in the pecking order. He scored and kept up defensively but I didn't see him play the ball much during his time on the field.

Overall though, I think the SE can play a very effective counter attacking style in the WC
Yujam,

The way I see it is that tis is strictly analysis of this single game. It does not speak of who is ahead of who in the pecking order. I believe that both Ebuehi and Idowu were better than Shehu and Aina when the former pair came into the game. As for the future, this game cannot put Ebuehi over Shehu who has consistently produced. As for Idowu and Aina, both are new and they have not put up any track record of performance to begin to make any claim of a pecking order.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

How does one conclude that a coach trying out a different formation in a friendly messed up? So when is the coach supposed to try out new things? Wait until his team qualify for the WC final?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Robotnik wrote:Fact:
Rohr messed up when he decided to play 3-5-2 in the first half against the attack minded Argentinians.
The personnel were still trying to understand how to work it when Argentina score 2 goals.
Contrary to popular belief, Nigeria did not play 3-5-2 in the second half.
We played the same formation we have always been playing when in bunker mode, which is 5-3-2.
Please, what's the difference between 352 and 532? None.

Also, prior to the Argentina game, Rohr never went with a 3 man backline ('532') when defending. Who was the third CB? Who was the second striker? Mikel? :mrgreen:
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

EII. I think his statement that Idowu and Ebuehi understood the wing backs better is almost saying they are better at the roles. It would have been one thing if he said they played better than the players they replaced. But to say they understand those positions better is almost tacitly saying they are better players at the role.

Enugu II wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Game of two halves most definitely. The Argentines had no answer for the speed and combination play of Nigeria's attackers in the second half.

Yujam,

The way I see it is that tis is strictly analysis of this single game. It does not speak of who is ahead of who in the pecking order. I believe that both Ebuehi and Idowu were better than Shehu and Aina when the former pair came into the game. As for the future, this game cannot put Ebuehi over Shehu who has consistently produced. As for Idowu and Aina, both are new and they have not put up any track record of performance to begin to make any claim of a pecking order.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

YUJAM wrote:EII. I think his statement that Idowu and Ebuehi understood the wing backs better is almost saying they are better at the roles. It would have been one thing if he said they played better than the players they replaced. But to say they understand those positions better is almost tacitly saying they are better players at the role.

Enugu II wrote:

Yujam,

Yujam,

TBH, the team performed wonders considering that they trained in this system only once or twice. Under those circumstances, errors are expected. That those two performed better does not necessarily mean they are better players. Note that they sat and learned from mistakes of others and had that benefit before going in. It is a benefit that did not accrue to Shehu and Aina. Note for instance, how in the second half, our CDs (accruing similar benefits) were no longer defending high and it shut down the running spaces that Argentina had so easily found in the first half. Further, it is possible that Aina may have been counseled for some of the runs that he made in the Algeria game that were not well timed and could have led to repercussions. In one case, as I recall, Balogun came to the rescue. This is just a very wild guess. If it is remotely true then it could have dampened risk taking on his part at the start of the Argentina game especially in such a system new to the team.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Watched this match again, very concerned about our high pressing regime.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp