My asssesment of our First half performance was wrong

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
My asssesment of our First half performance was wrong

Post by 1naija »

After re-watching the game without any anxiety, I have come to a different conclusion about our first half performance. I initially thought we played poorly and the Argentines were just taking us to the cleaners but that was the farthest from the truth. We matched Argentina in every aspect of the game EXCEPT they had shots on goal and we didn't. If anything this is what needs to be worked on. Despite having as much possession as Argentina, we had ZERO shots on goal with the first 35 minutes. This gave the perception of poor performance, eventhough overall the team played as good as Argentina.

Even my assessment of Ola Aina's performance was off. He got beat a couple of times by well placed passes but overall he was as good as any of our other defenders. I believe Rohr changed him to look at the other players and not because of his performance.

Akpeyi:

Akpeyi was very good and made 3 key point blank saves. His positioning also forced Argentina forwards to shoot from impossible angles which is something no one has mentioned here. He made the blunder that led to the goal, but outside of Carl making a full recovery and regaining his pre-illnesss form, I see Akpeyi making the team as one of our 3 goalkeepers. FACT not FEELINGS!

The Second half was all Nigeria so not comments there!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
john12
Egg
Egg
Re: My asssesment of our First half performance was wrong

Post by john12 »

Are you sure that you watched the same match as me. The first half was absolutely horrible. We couldn’t string passes together, our midfield was non-existent our defense was confused on their roles. In fact, we shouldn’t be conceding that type of 2nd goal when playing 5 defenders. In my opinion we played very bad in the first half because defense was confused midfield was non-existent and forwards couldn’t create a shot on goal. Maybe, the players accorded so much respect to the argentines that’s why our performance in first half was abysmal. You watched a different gae
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

john12 wrote:Are you sure that you watched the same match as me. The first half was absolutely horrible. We couldn’t string passes together, our midfield was non-existent our defense was confused on their roles. In fact, we shouldn’t be conceding that type of 2nd goal when playing 5 defenders. In my opinion we played very bad in the first half because defense was confused midfield was non-existent and forwards couldn’t create a shot on goal. Maybe, the players accorded so much respect to the argentines that’s why our performance in first half was abysmal. You watched a different gae

Go back and watch the video again and you will come to a different conclusion. Before the Akpeyi blunder, the possession was about 53% Argentina and 47% Nigeria. That's not the possession rate fora team that couldn't string 2 passes together.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

lol. those who know football know that we didnt play poorly in the first half. Two things were key in that first half--

1. You can tell we were still learning to positioning with the new formation. And as a result of that, our players were passing into spaces, into which they they passed with the 4-2-3-1 and this caused us to lose the ball, because their teammate who woild have been in that space in a 4-2-3-1 was not there in a 3-5-2.

And the wing backs were very uncomfortable with their new instructions, as regards positioning.

2. Argentina is a top top top team with world class players, and they have the capacity to exploit our problems mentioned in number 1.

simple.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

WrongnNaira is always wrong. Just look at your match threads and you’ll see that you’re always clinically wrong. You know nattin. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Uncle 1naija, nothing you sat about Akpeyi, will change our minds..the guy is a bag of nerves..I enjoyed our first half , however Akpeyi ' s performance, overshadowed the hardwork by the other 10 players....he was a huge let down. We would have won that game without letting in a goal, no thanks to Akpeyi
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Their high press and our boys' respect for the Argies caused us to lose the ball easily in the 1st 35 mins or so. Unfortunately for Argie though, not many teams can sustain that tempo for 90 mins. So they somewhat relaxed after their 2nd goal, and we really had no other choice but to come out and attack. This is what our team is essentially built to do. Their coach had the right idea i.e. try to keep us in our half most of the game because their defending in and around the box is atrocious. Zambia is a lot better organized, and I didn't think I'd ever say that. After this result, they'll be even prouder of themselves in spite of losing out on the WC ticket.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Uncle 1naija, nothing you sat about Akpeyi, will change our minds..the guy is a bag of nerves..I enjoyed our first half , however Akpeyi ' s performance, overshadowed the hardwork by the other 10 players....he was a huge let down. We would have won that game without letting in a goal, no thanks to Akpeyi
Bigpokey24, Akpeyi shouldn't be blamed for goal number two which we conceded. Any goalkeeper would have conceded the goal - in my opinion.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

good of you to admit you were wrong
there may be hope for you after all
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

john12 wrote:Are you sure that you watched the same match as me. The first half was absolutely horrible. We couldn’t string passes together, our midfield was non-existent our defense was confused on their roles. In fact, we shouldn’t be conceding that type of 2nd goal when playing 5 defenders. In my opinion we played very bad in the first half because defense was confused midfield was non-existent and forwards couldn’t create a shot on goal. Maybe, the players accorded so much respect to the argentines that’s why our performance in first half was abysmal. You watched a different gae
Did you watch the match live?
If so, go back and watch it when you finish your period. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

The saves Akpeyi made weren't exactly point blank one on one saves situation, he actually made ONE point blank save from a nice through pass from Banega to I think Di maria(correct me if I'm wrong), both keepers were largely untested even though Argentina made more threatening incursions into our 18 yard box taking aimless shots or crosses that were relatively dealt with by our defense ... we conceded those 2 goals from an Akpeyi moment of indecision and a well worked Argentinian goal...Argentina had more shots at goal and they were all wayward for the greater part save for their two goals.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Argentinas strategy in the first half was to get behind the Nigerian defence. They pressed high and countered wide. The shift in the second half was bringing on faster wide backs like ebuehi and having mikel play deeper in midfield. It helped that Aguero was off the pitch and Messi was in spain.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

1naija wrote:After re-watching the game without any anxiety, I have come to a different conclusion about our first half performance. I initially thought we played poorly and the Argentines were just taking us to the cleaners but that was the farthest from the truth. We matched Argentina in every aspect of the game EXCEPT they had shots on goal and we didn't. If anything this is what needs to be worked on. Despite having as much possession as Argentina, we had ZERO shots on goal with the first 35 minutes. This gave the perception of poor performance, eventhough overall the team played as good as Argentina.

Even my assessment of Ola Aina's performance was off. He got beat a couple of times by well placed passes but overall he was as good as any of our other defenders. I believe Rohr changed him to look at the other players and not because of his performance.

Akpeyi:

Akpeyi was very good and made 3 key point blank saves. His positioning also forced Argentina forwards to shoot from impossible angles which is something no one has mentioned here. He made the blunder that led to the goal, but outside of Carl making a full recovery and regaining his pre-illnesss form, I see Akpeyi making the team as one of our 3 goalkeepers. FACT not FEELINGS!

Are you guys capable of being honest with yourselves?

The first half was all Argentina especially the final 20 minutes of that half.
Nigeria was fortunate to get a free kick and scored.

Argentina should have gone up 3-0!
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Kabalega wrote:
1naija wrote:After re-watching the game without any anxiety, I have come to a different conclusion about our first half performance. I initially thought we played poorly and the Argentines were just taking us to the cleaners but that was the farthest from the truth. We matched Argentina in every aspect of the game EXCEPT they had shots on goal and we didn't. If anything this is what needs to be worked on. Despite having as much possession as Argentina, we had ZERO shots on goal with the first 35 minutes. This gave the perception of poor performance, eventhough overall the team played as good as Argentina.

Akpeyi:

Are you guys capable of being honest with yourselves?

The first half was all Argentina especially the final 20 minutes of that half.
Nigeria was fortunate to get a free kick and scored.

Argentina should have gone up 3-0!
you are absolutely correct. We will petition FIFA to change the score to 3-0 in favor of Argentina
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Akpeyi:

not True
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Akpeyi:

1Naira, I posted in one of the earlier post that Akpeyi made school boy errors. That is undeniable and when you do that it affects the confidence of the defenders in front of you and in their perception of him as a goalkeeper. That cannot be good for the team. Plus, the way he looks - His facial expressions is like someone who is scared sheeitless.

That said, I also commented he kept us in the game when the Argies broke through our defense a few times and one should not ignore thee's a good keeper in there, somewhere.

I'm not sure if he believes in his own ability or is well grounded in the rudimentary of goalkeeping
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

pajimoh wrote:

Akpeyi:

1Naira, I posted in one of the earlier post that Akpeyi made school boy errors. That is undeniable and when you do that it affects the confidence of the defenders in front of you and in their perception of him as a goalkeeper. That cannot be good for the team. Plus, the way he looks - His facial expressions is like someone who is scared sheeitless.

That said, I also commented he kept us in the game when the Argies broke through our defense a few times and one should not ignore thee's a good keeper in there, somewhere.

I'm not sure if he believes in his own ability or is well grounded in the rudimentary of goalkeeping
At 31, it is too late I am afraid!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

Akpeyi:

At 31, it is too late I am afraid!
It's not my place to decide. All I'm commenting on is his performance.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

pajimoh wrote:

Akpeyi:

All those perceived facial expressions have no bearing on his ability, which is what the coaches look at. The issue we have at hand is that if the coach were to pick the 3 goalkeepers for WC today, they will likely be Enzenwa, Akpeyi and Uzoho. No amount of feelings will change that. The only thing that can change than is if another goalkeeper comes from under Ikoyi bridge and outperforms any one of them consistently. This is the point the Analyst was saying on the thread that was posted after the game. We can't manufacture goalkeepers, and that's the fact!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

The reason we had no shots was because they were closing down Mikel quickly...so that final ball from the 2nd third to the final third was missing. That translated to no offensive creativity. It was the same thing that happened in the ill-fated South Africa game, albeit with no Mikel. I said after that game that the eagles didn’t play bad. They were actually the better team... A midfield marshal led by Onazi just couldn’t create jack offensively. As the game wore on, we started pressing higher for a goal and then SA killed us on the counter. Were it not for Akpeyi’s error, we could have finished the half goalless...but if they continued closing us down in the 2nd half, we’d still have lost.

On Akpeyi...Abeg. Apart from his mistake, he didn’t do any thing any age grade goalkeeper wouldn’t do. His mistake this defined his entire performance
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

deanotito wrote:The reason we had no shots was because they were closing down Mikel quickly...so that final ball from the 2nd third to the final third was missing. That translated to no offensive creativity. It was the same thing that happened in the ill-fated South Africa game, albeit with no Mikel. I said after that game that the eagles didn’t play bad. They were actually the better team... A midfield marshal led by Onazi just couldn’t create jack offensively. As the game wore on, we started pressing higher for a goal and then SA killed us on the counter. Were it not for Akpeyi’s error, we could have finished the half goalless...but if they continued closing us down in the 2nd half, we’d still have lost.

On Akpeyi...Abeg. Apart from his mistake, he didn’t do any thing any age grade goalkeeper wouldn’t do. His mistake this defined his entire performance
The Argentina goalie couldn't do any of those things an age grade goalkeeper could do.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

1naija wrote:
deanotito wrote:The reason we had no shots was because they were closing down Mikel quickly...so that final ball from the 2nd third to the final third was missing. That translated to no offensive creativity. It was the same thing that happened in the ill-fated South Africa game, albeit with no Mikel. I said after that game that the eagles didn’t play bad. They were actually the better team... A midfield marshal led by Onazi just couldn’t create jack offensively. As the game wore on, we started pressing higher for a goal and then SA killed us on the counter. Were it not for Akpeyi’s error, we could have finished the half goalless...but if they continued closing us down in the 2nd half, we’d still have lost.

The Argentina goalie couldn't do any of those things an age grade goalkeeper could do.
What did Akpeyi save that was harder than any of the 4 goals conceded by Argentina? Or what about the 2 goals Akpeyi conceded in his half of football...which one of them was harder to keep out than the 4 we scored?

Once again, abeg. Take away his mistake, and it was an average performance. Add his mistakes, and it was horrendous. Enyeama made mistakes against Argentina at the last WC...but they came in an otherwise outstanding performance. So we can easily give him the benefit of the doubt...Akpeyi was not outstanding by any means. Take away the unfortunate handling of the ball, and you have bad positioning on a free kick and conceding another goal 70% of professional keepers would concede (=average). So what necessitates making any excuses for him?
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

smartbrother wrote:good of you to admit you were wrong
there may be hope for you after all
He's always like that. This is why many here respect 1naija.
What he did on this thread is what you will never see someone like wAyo do.
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923