My asssesment of our First half performance was wrong

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: My asssesment of our First half performance was wrong

Post by Dammy »

pajimoh wrote:
1naija wrote:After re-watching the game without any anxiety, I have come to a different conclusion about our first half performance. I initially thought we played poorly and the Argentines were just taking us to the cleaners but that was the farthest from the truth. We matched Argentina in every aspect of the game EXCEPT they had shots on goal and we didn't. If anything this is what needs to be worked on. Despite having as much possession as Argentina, we had ZERO shots on goal with the first 35 minutes. This gave the perception of poor performance, eventhough overall the team played as good as Argentina.

Even my assessment of Ola Aina's performance was off. He got beat a couple of times by well placed passes but overall he was as good as any of our other defenders. I believe Rohr changed him to look at the other players and not because of his performance.

Akpeyi:

Akpeyi was very good and made 3 key point blank saves. His positioning also forced Argentina forwards to shoot from impossible angles which is something no one has mentioned here. He made the blunder that led to the goal, but outside of Carl making a full recovery and regaining his pre-illnesss form, I see Akpeyi making the team as one of our 3 goalkeepers. FACT not FEELINGS!

The Second half was all Nigeria so not comments there!
1Naira, I posted in one of the earlier post that Akpeyi made school boy errors. That is undeniable and when you do that it affects the confidence of the defenders in front of you and in their perception of him as a goalkeeper. That cannot be good for the team. Plus, the way he looks - His facial expressions is like someone who is scared sheeitless.

That said, I also commented he kept us in the game when the Argies broke through our defense a few times and one should not ignore thee's a good keeper in there, somewhere.

I'm not sure if he believes in his own ability or is well grounded in the rudimentary of goalkeeping
Ezenwa is one clever boy, I am sure he knows what Nigerians are saying about Akpeyi's facial expressions, so he does the opposite, exude confidence to the point of appearing to be cocky. What a way to beat the competition! :lol:
I am happy
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

Odas wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:Uncle 1naija, nothing you sat about Akpeyi, will change our minds..the guy is a bag of nerves..I enjoyed our first half , however Akpeyi ' s performance, overshadowed the hardwork by the other 10 players....he was a huge let down. We would have won that game without letting in a goal, no thanks to Akpeyi
Bigpokey24, Akpeyi shouldn't be blamed for goal number two which we conceded. Any goalkeeper would have conceded the goal - in my opinion.
Nope. He has his fare share of the blame, even the commentators noted it. He should have cut out the cross. He made no commitment, was undecided.....came out and returned midway
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I haven't rewatched the match like 1naija did. But the way the game was shaping up in the first half, was for a 4-0 Argentina win, as I saw it.

IF Nothing changed. And a lot did change. Hence, why the result was different. But you cannot tell me that if the game played out as it were in the first half, that we wouldn't have been decimated.

Now I am not saying that wasn't a good game plan, to sustain the pressure and wait for the Argentinians to tire, I am not saying that changes are not part and parcel of the game. I am just saying, all things being equal....we had 0 stake in the match. Our goal was against the run of events.

It was ONLY in the second half, we looked like a formidable side.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Tbite wrote:I haven't rewatched the match like 1naija did. But the way the game was shaping up in the first half, was for a 4-0 Argentina win, as I saw it.

IF Nothing changed. And a lot did change. Hence, why the result was different. But you cannot tell me that if the game played out as it were in the first half, that we wouldn't have been decimated.

Now I am not saying that wasn't a good game plan, to sustain the pressure and wait for the Argentinians to tire, I am not saying that changes are not part and parcel of the game. I am just saying, all things being equal....we had 0 stake in the match. Our goal was against the run of events.

Agreed. Towards the end of the first half, it seemed like the floodgates were about to open.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Tbite wrote:I haven't rewatched the match like 1naija did. But the way the game was shaping up in the first half, was for a 4-0 Argentina win, as I saw it.

Football do change on a tuppence and I'm sure you've head the expression "a game of two halves"- precisely because of the difference in both half. Some teams stat like house on fire while some are notoriously slow starters. In fact at one point of our evolution, we used to concede a goal before we start playing.
How Argentina stated does not mean that's how it would end.

They had chances in the first half while we were at sixes and sevens and it masked their deficiencies at the back. First chance at a FK and we scored and it seems every time we attacked them they were likely to concede.

90 minutes game where anything could and tends to happen
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Uncle, I see the ogogoro has finally kicked-in...
Come back next week when the kaikai also kicks in. :D
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

1naija wrote:Even my assessment of Ola Aina's performance was off. He got beat a couple of times by well placed passes but overall he was as good as any of our other defenders. I believe Rohr changed him to look at the other players and not because of his performance.
I think the subs of the FBs and the GK were pre-determined prior to the game...
Going by his pre-game statements, it was clear that he was going to use as many subs as possible.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL