Nigeria to play France or Germany in March

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Robotnik
Egg
Egg
Nigeria to play France or Germany in March

Post by Robotnik »

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/11/18/s ... world-cup/
World champions Germany and France are among the teams being lined up to tackle the Super Eagles in a pre-World Cup warm-ups in March, SCORENigeria has again scooped.

The Eagles will play two friendlies in March ahead of Russia 2018 after the Confederation of African Football (CAF) moved AFCON 2019 qualifiers also in March to October.

“France and Germany are the two countries Nigeria are considering to play as part of the build-up for next year’s World Cup,” a top official told only SCORENigeria

“The France game appears the more realistic, but all will be known after the World Cup draw especially if they are not in our group in Russia.”

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) said they will announce the friendlies after the December 1 World Cup draw in Moscow.

Nigeria have twice clashed with France at full international level – they beat Les Bleus 1-0 in a friendly in Saint Etienne on June 2, 2009, before the French took their revenge with a 2-0 win in a Round of 16 clash at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

The Eagles have clashed with Germany once, on April 22,1998, with the Europeans running away with a lone goal win courtesy of a 58th minute goal by Andreas Moller.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria to play France or Germany in March

Post by Mr Shows »

Rohr will be more keen to play Germany. France will be a good test though..England will be keen too
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Guess Nigeria wants to work out the kinks in the defence. They should play Germany which should be good prep for a well drilled world class team.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Let us see how it goes. For now, Germany and Spain are facing each other on March 23. Nigeria could play France that day and then Germany three days later. However, everything is dependent on the FIFA draw.

Those wanting England will have to wait until May as England are playing Holland and Italy in March. By December 3 we should know who we are playing.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

12 more days and we'll know for certain...
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

I think playing Germany could be a disaster. Imagine a 4-0 loss in March 2018?
OCCUPY NFF!!
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:I think playing Germany could be a disaster. Imagine a 4-0 loss in March 2018?
Dang see fear!!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: The last time I checked the Germans are humans. I am sure you were probably against the Argentina friendly
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:I think playing Germany could be a disaster. Imagine a 4-0 loss in March 2018?
Maybe we should stop playing football then because we are afraid of defeat. Rubbish talk!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Nigeria should play Ghana or Egypt
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

we lost heavily to netherlands in the lead up to france 98 and that wasnt a disaster
so i dont think losing to germany in a meaningless friendly would be a problem in any way

However i would like to see us play a mix of opponents -both "big" teams and "small" teams- in the build up to russia
Big teams like Germany who play open attacking football present a different type of puzzle to smaller teams like (for example) Iran who may be content to sit back, park the bus and frustrate their opponents.
I recall the frustrating Nigeria vs Iran game in Brazil 2014.
Iran was a tougher opponent for us than Bosnia even though Bosnia were fundamentally a better side
I doubt a 3.5.2 formation would work as well against the likes of Iran as it did against the likes of Argentina

Rohr neeeds a mix of opponents to work out which formation works best for different types of opponents
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

smartbrother wrote:
we lost heavily to netherlands in the lead up to france 98 and that wasnt a disaster
so i dont think losing to germany in a meaningless friendly would be a problem in any way

However i would like to see us play a mix of opponents -both "big" teams and "small" teams- in the build up to russia
Big teams like Germany who play open attacking football present a different type of puzzle to smaller teams like (for example) Iran who may be content to sit back, park the bus and frustrate their opponents.
I recall the frustrating Nigeria vs Iran game in Brazil 2014.
Iran was a tougher opponent for us than Bosnia even though Bosnia were fundamentally a better side
I doubt a 3.5.2 formation would work as well against the likes of Iran as it did against the likes of Argentina

Rohr neeeds a mix of opponents to work out which formation works best for different types of opponents
KPOM

Its great to play the Argies, France, and GErmany but we need to play weaker sides that will play defensive so we can learn to break them down and beat them while being aware of their counter attacks

I would suggest we also look to play the likes of

Poland, Iceland, Sweden or Denmark
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

jette1 wrote:Nigeria should play Ghana or Egypt
Makes no sense...
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

jette1 wrote:Nigeria should play Ghana or Egypt
If we qualify to the AFCON they should be the first on our list but now we must concentrate on the World Cup and since Ghana are not going anywhere near Russia next June and Egypt are not going to play Nigeria unless both teams meet after the group stage that will be a pointless excercise!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

We need to play the scandanaivian teams we don't draw in a friendly. That would prepare us if we draw one of the other Scandinavian teams. Also in the case we draw Iran we need to play a defensive side in their mould.
Next
Egg
Egg

Post by Next »

That will not happen coz Germany will be playing two friendlies in March 2018:

https://www.dfb.de/en/national-teams/th ... edule/?m=1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/int ... es/2018-03

friendly
Friday, 2018-03-23 Germany - : - Spain

friendly
Tuesday, 2018-03-27 Germany - : - Brazil
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

I believe that the NFF has a number of options on the table pending the outcome of the World Cup draws. Come December we will find out what's on the cards for us.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

23/03/2018
Germany 12:00AM Spain
Netherlands 8:45PM England

27/03/2018
Germany 12:00AM Brazil
Spain 12:00AM Netherlands
England 9:00PM Italy
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Former World Cup winners even England the old school winners plan these games way ahead of time and FIFA give them leverage by seeding them (in advance) so they know they won’t meet in the group stage!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I think both games would be a mistake. Let’s play mid-level teams instead. Good, solid teams but not the very best just yet
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

deanotito wrote:I think both games would be a mistake. Let’s play mid-level teams instead. Good, solid teams but not the very best just yet
These are friendlies not title matches like boxing,it’s better to be exposed before the tournament then work on your weaknesses,teams like Germany have lost friendlies to teams that are not even competitors on a World Cup year and still lifted the trophy!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If we do not get France in the December 1 draw, playing them in Paris will be a good warm-up March. For our second game, we can actually book that now as we already know we will not be facing Australia, South Korea or Japan because they are on our pot.

One of the major European countries like France, Belgium, Spain or Portugal will most certainly want to play us if they have an African team in their group. I like the idea of say France and Australia on March 23 and 27 respectively.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Why all this fear about Germany?Last Euro they were just not good enough
i dont even think they are much different than SE.
Ozil---Iwobi
Khedira --Ndidi
Toni Kroos--Mikel
Muller--Ighalo
Leroy Sane---Victor Moses
Boateng---Leon Balogun
On a good day SE can beat any team in the world,so no need to fear any team.Just look how beloved dispatch Spurs that everyone was saying they have a better team and few weeks ago Spurs dispatch Real Madrid as if they are playing Sunderland
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

highbury wrote:
Dang see fear!!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: The last time I checked the Germans are humans. I am sure you were probably against the Argentina friendly
Nope. What i said on here about Argentina was i was happy Messi wasn’t playing...and many, just like you, accused me of being needlessly fearful, among other things. For the same reasons I didn’t think it was productive to meet Messi now, I also don’t think it’s productive to play either of the 2 elite teams in the world right now.

Good, Solid Teams, yes. France & Germany...wait until the big dance
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet