1996 all over again?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet
1996 all over again?

Post by mastermind »

The match against Argentina brought back the memory of 1996 when our boyz defeated both Brazil and Argentina @ the Olympics. However, that same team did not reproduce the same feat @ the world cup. Our main issue was the loss of the goal keeper Dosu to accident, which necessitated the activation of an old Rufai.

However, again in 2017, nearly 20 years later, we're facing another goal keeper issue because of Carl Ikeme's sickness (wishing him speedy recovery). I'm not sure if Enyeama is going to be another Rufai or if he's still up to the task of manning the post for Nigeria in Russia?

This current team is loaded with all kinds of talent. This team is just as good as the 1994 team and might actually outperform all other teams that have represented Nigeria at the big dance. My prediction is at least a semi-final ticket. Do you guys think it's possible? Some people even think they can win it all, why not ?
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 1996 all over again?

Post by jette1 »

mastermind wrote:The match against Argentina brought back the memory of 1996 when our boyz defeated both Brazil and Argentina @ the Olympics. However, that same team did not reproduce the same feat @ the world cup. Our main issue was the loss of the goal keeper Dosu to accident, which necessitated the activation of an old Rufai.

However, again in 2017, nearly 20 years later, we're facing another goal keeper issue because of Carl Ikeme's sickness (wishing him speedy recovery). I'm not sure if Enyeama is going to be another Rufai or if he's still up to the task of manning the post for Nigeria in Russia?

This current team is loaded with all kinds of talent. This team is just as good as the 1994 team and might actually outperform all other teams that have represented Nigeria at the big dance. My prediction is at least a semi-final ticket. Do you guys think it's possible? Some people even think they can win it all, why not ?
Abeg e don do now. Haba!!! all these hype just because of one win and MESSI didn't even play; we could have conceded at least a penalty. Check the record - every time Messi played us we dashed him a penalty even for age competition we dashed him 2 for final.

except for here
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

jette1 wrote:
mastermind wrote:The match against Argentina brought back the memory of 1996 when our boyz defeated both Brazil and Argentina @ the Olympics. However, that same team did not reproduce the same feat @ the world cup. Our main issue was the loss of the goal keeper Dosu to accident, which necessitated the activation of an old Rufai.

Abeg e don do now. Haba!!! all these hype just because of one win and MESSI didn't even play; we could have conceded at least a penalty. Check the record - every time Messi played us we dashed him a penalty even for age competition we dashed him 2 for final.

except for here
Messi wouldn't have stopped those 4 goals, he's not a goalkeeper.
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

jette1 wrote:

except for here
Your video is 7 yrs old, how is that video relevant today? Messi 7 yrs ago is even different from Messi of today...
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

When I heard the news of Dosu accident I was so heartbroken. But I don't you can't compare this team to that Olympic team. I think the goalkeeping department is not big of an issue right now. And this team is not better than the 1994 team...what are you drinking? Brandy?
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

The similarity with the 1994 team is that this team knows how to score. Defensively the 1994 team was better. Consider that it took Italy all of 90 minutes to equalize. It took Argentina quick setplays to score. Had the 1994 team gotten past Italy it would have been in the semi final and possibly won it all. Italy instead took our place.
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

kali wrote:The similarity with the 1994 team is that this team knows how to score. Defensively the 1994 team was better. Consider that it took Italy all of 90 minutes to equalize. It took Argentina quick setplays to score. Had the 1994 team gotten past Italy it would have been in the semi final and possibly won it all. Italy instead took our place.
wrong logic there. We saw what Denmark did to us in 1998. Cos we beat Italy doesn't mean we'll make it to the semi-final. in 2002, Senegal defeated French team that won both WC 1998 and euro 2000. In the world cup, any team could defeat another no automatic wins.
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

kali wrote:The similarity with the 1994 team is that this team knows how to score. Defensively the 1994 team was better. Consider that it took Italy all of 90 minutes to equalize. It took Argentina quick setplays to score. Had the 1994 team gotten past Italy it would have been in the semi final and possibly won it all. Italy instead took our place.
This team qualify with one game to spare, the 1994 team couldn't achieve that. The 1994 team fought till the last minute to book the ticket to the U.S.A.

This team unlike the 1994 team is not built on power, strength and muscle. The players in this team are more experienced and exposed to European style of football than the 1994 side. This current team is younger, quicker, more technically sound and could score goals as well.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Rather than be optimistic and revert to the old adage "lightening doesn't strike in the same place twice but you're trying to insist it does/could strike in the same place twice? No dawg. Enyeama you're calling upon was not a household name when he took over the SE reigns. Let someone else have a go.
Enyeama, if he does come back, will be temporary. We still have to bite the bullet and find a new goalie. Better now than postponing the inevitable.

Go with a young one now so that he'll be a veteran by the next WC
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

mastermind wrote:
jette1 wrote:

except for here
Messi wouldn't have stopped those 4 goals, he's not a goalkeeper.
But may have created more penalties and chances
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

mastermind wrote:
This team qualify with one game to spare, the 1994 team couldn't achieve that. The 1994 team fought till the last minute to book the ticket to the U.S.A.

This team unlike the 1994 team is not built on power, strength and muscle. The players in this team are more experienced and exposed to European style of football than the 1994 side. This current team is younger, quicker, more technically sound and could score goals as well.

Qualification was harder then. 3 from Africa. So you can’t compare.
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

Olympic is diff. From World Cup. Atlanta 96 team is not the same as France 98. And we didn’t have a good bench in 98 because the coach went the old 94 players. It was the injury to Ike and the nightmare of Baruwa that led to the recall of Rufai. Dosu wasn’t a good keeper in my own opinion. He never made a save in ATL 96. All the balls that went his ended in our net. He was timid too (like Akpeyi). Our outfield players were just good. If not for Baruwa age problem, he wld have been the one btw the post. Over confidence killed Baruwa ( the old Ezenwa)
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Geez we are in trouble on this site until the WC comes and go :scared:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

oloye wrote:Geez we are in trouble on this site until the WC comes and go :scared:
My brother, na so we see am oh... :scared:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Robbynice wrote:
oloye wrote:Geez we are in trouble on this site until the WC comes and go :scared:
My brother, na so we see am oh... :scared:
It's as if this is the first time we beat the Argies
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923