Man City 'playing best football in Premier League history'

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

I've told you guys in another thread that the EPL title is over. Now you have "experts" having Man City taking it to another level this season.

I hadn't watched a full EPL match this season until yesterday's Arsenal vs Spurs game.
I quit the LCFC vs Man City game at the 53rd minute because I'd seen enough.

I have learned not to waste time on the EPL until around this time of the year. This is the best time to tune in to the EPL and looks like the other 'big' teams are also beginning to fire on all cylinders (though are the Spurs now sputtering?)

The title is not won yet for sure, but going by the footie on the green grass, Man City has this all wrapped up and they are not even firing in top gear, yet. :scared: :scared:

Let's savor the moment and take a bow. :D

By Miriam Walker-Khan
BBC Sport
From the sectionMan City 109
Share this page

"They are playing some of the best football ever played in the history of the Premier League. I think we're looking at another invincible team this season." :thumbs: :thumbs:

BBC pundit Garth Crooks was just one of those who lavished praise on Manchester City this weekend after they brushed aside Leicester 2-0 to give them a 16th consecutive win and the joint-best start to a Premier League season.

Afterwards, Leicester boss Claude Puel called City "the best team in Europe". :woot: He has not seen PSG?

Pep Guardiola's team have 34 points from their 12 games, matching their achievement at the start of the 2011-12 title-winning season under Roberto Mancini.

Martin Keown, a member of the Arsenal 'Invincibles' squad who went through the entire 2003-04 league season unbeaten, believes this City side could match the Gunners' feat.

"I am happy to be part of that exclusive club that has gone a full season unbeaten. I hope they [City] don't do it, but it is looking like they will," the retired defender told Football Focus.

"I don't see who is going to stop them. If they get complacent, maybe. But I think Guardiola is all over that one. He is picking up on mistakes in training. He will stop at nothing. He is a serial winner."

Manchester City will go all season unbeaten - Martin Keown
Keown is not only impressed by City's ability to win games but the manner in which they are going about their victories.

"City are a series of players who are artists," he said on Final Score. "They paint beautiful football for us each and every week, and in every game [Gabriel] Jesus or [Sergio] Aguero are on the end of it.

"You know the genius of Ronnie O'Sullivan in snooker, where he can choose which hand to play with? Kevin de Bruyne is like that with his feet." :woot:

Crooks, Keown's fellow Final Score pundit, was even more effusive about City's style of play, adding his own belief that Guardiola's side are set for an historic season.

"It is some of the best football ever played in the history of the Premier League," he said.

"Think about it as the sort of thing you'll play in five-a-side, except this is being executed at the top level. I've never quite seen anything like it.

"I think we're looking at another invincible team this season. They have the ability to go all the way unbeaten.

"They have so much depth in the squad, they can cover in any position and I've not seen a team like this in a very long time."

'Man City are getting more and more dangerous'

Leicester 0-2 Man City: Foxes beaten by best team in Europe - Claude Puel
On Saturday, Jesus gave them the lead from close range just before half-time from David Silva's pass, after the Spaniard was sent through by Raheem Sterling's disguised through ball.

After the break, Harry Maguire struck the post for Leicester via Fabian Delph's deflection but De Bruyne's thumping finish from Leroy Sane's cut-back 22 seconds later put the game beyond the home side.

"City are getting more and more dangerous as they go forward. They are a joy to watch this season," said former Tottenham boss David Pleat on BBC Radio 5 live sports extra.

"They have more talented, technical players and there's no disputing that. To go unbeaten this far in the season is quite remarkable from this group."

What will happen if they continue at their current rate?

City's current points-per-game average of 2.83 is 0.33 better than Chelsea's (2.50) in 2004-05 when they won the League with 95 points.

In 2015, Chelsea had 32 points after 12 games, a tally beaten by the current league leaders.

If Man City continue to win points at an average of 2.83 per game, they are on track for 108 points.

Most points in a Premier League season
Team Season Points Goals
Manchester City (projected) 2017-18 108 126
Chelsea 2004-05 95 72
Chelsea 2016-17 93 85
Manchester United 1993-94 92 80
Manchester United 1999-00 91 97
Chelsea 2005-06 91 72
Arsenal 2003-04 90 73
The 100-point barrier has never been crossed before in the English top division.

If they continue to score goals at their current rate of 3.33 per game they will net 126 goals this campaign, 53 more than Arsenal's 'Invincibles' side of 2003-04.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42038034
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Man City 'playing best football in Premier League histor

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

First they have to siurvive December
OCCUPY NFF!!
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:First they have to siurvive December
Have you seen them play? :shock: :shock:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Kabalega wrote:
Yes. They are absolutely dominating,one of the best ever but they could still hit a bump in December. All it takes is a couple draws and another team is on their tail.
OCCUPY NFF!!
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Garth crooks is a clown
Just the other day he was ranting about pogba's hairstyle
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... -poor/amp/
I don't know anyone who takes his opinions seriously
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Yes. They are absolutely dominating,one of the best ever but they could still hit a bump in December. All it takes is a couple draws and another team is on their tail.
In theory? Yes, another team can catch up to them.

However, I don't see them making a couple of draws any time soon.
Maybe if teams press them up high like Arsenal pressed the Spurs yesterday, they will stand a chance.

Without looking at their schedule, it looks like their next vulnerable game will be after the next CL game but they have quality depth to buffer them through it.

Again, they are playing in 3rd and 4th gears! They still have room for improvement to hit the 5th gear. :shock:

The real question will be can they keep up the blistering pace all season? Yes! But if they slow down, it will be in Feb or March.
In my book, they will confirm the title after Xmas week.

The real action will be who makes the top 4 and avoids relegation.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Guys, the season is only about a third over, still a long way to go before anyone can claim the title.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Invincibility will never be repeated. If City survive December, fair play to them, when least expected, they'll be brought back down to earth with a thud. League champions? Not without a bloody good slog!
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

It's too early to judge, but it is indeed looking like they are running away with things. They lost their two starting center backs, and it made no difference to their performance.

City still piss me off given how they have treated some of their players--Kele, and Mangala particularly. I can see how they may not have room for an unfinished product like Kele, but don't know what a quality defender like Mangala is doing being a squad player at City. Yes, I said quality defender. Outside the EPL and its narrow minded media commentary, many cannot understand why City is prepared to let Mangala go. spastic, please come and explain this.

All the negative and irrational stupidity around Mangala has to be so corrosive to his confidence, yet he is being a man about it, and has continued to play well, first at Valencia last season, and yesterday, when he gave a very solid performance stepping in for Stones, who, by the way, is nowhere near as solid defensively. Manga had a 93% pass completion rate yesterday, and yet some goofs on the Man City forum think the two errant passes he made confirm that he is useless. All the errant passes Stones made last season that led directly to goals did not get him the same abuse; the crazy red-card-deserving tackle Kompany made cannot have been made by Mangala, or the irrational English football world would have been braying that he be shipped off to Nagorno-Karabakh, or somewhere similarly obscure. Footie at the top flight is a hard judge, a hard taskmaster. I can see why a youngster like Kele can lose some of his swagger after a manager that does not have confidence in him shows up.

Anyway, they pay them enough money for the idiocy and heartache. I am sure both Kele and Mangala earn more money in a month than I earn in a whole year. So wetin consain me?
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

ohsee wrote:It's too early to judge, but it is indeed looking like they are running away with things. They lost their two starting center backs, and it made no difference to their performance.

City still piss me off given how they have treated some of their players--Kele, and Mangala particularly. I can see how they may not have room for an unfinished product like Kele, but don't know what a quality defender like Mangala is doing being a squad player at City. Yes, I said quality defender. Outside the EPL and its narrow minded media commentary, many cannot understand why City is prepared to let Mangala go. spastic, please come and explain this.

All the negative and irrational stupidity around Mangala has to be so corrosive to his confidence, yet he is being a man about it, and has continued to play well, first at Valencia last season, and yesterday, when he gave a very solid performance stepping in for Stones, who, by the way, is nowhere near as solid defensively. Manga had a 93% pass completion rate yesterday, and yet some goofs on the Man City forum think the two errant passes he made confirm that he is useless. All the errant passes Stones made last season that led directly to goals did not get him the same abuse; the crazy red-card-deserving tackle Kompany made cannot have been made by Mangala, or the irrational English football world would have been braying that he be shipped off to Nagorno-Karabakh, or somewhere similarly obscure. Footie at the top flight is a hard judge, a hard taskmaster. I can see why a youngster like Kele can lose some of his swagger after a manager that does not have confidence in him shows up.

Anyway, they pay them enough money for the idiocy and heartache. I am sure both Kele and Mangala earn more money in a month than I earn in a whole year. So wetin consain me?
uncle ohsee, Mangala is a good player but doesn't suit the system Pep is trying to play. He's a good defender when he doesn't have the ball but he's terrible when he does have it. He also makes terrible positional mistakes which is a no-no in Pep's system.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Ohsee Mangala makes a lot of unforced errors playing the ball out of the back. With him at CB they will be exposed by quality teams. Not sure why he got rid of Kelechi. But one thing I'll say is Pep is no clown. He keeps his best players unless there is personality clash or he believes he has players who can fill their role better.

BTW notice how Thiefco has been MIA. Ghana had a massive DNW and Pep is revolutionizing English football. SHORT-sightedness is not good.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
ohsee wrote:It's too early to judge, but it is indeed looking like they are running away with things. They lost their two starting center backs, and it made no difference to their performance.

uncle ohsee, Mangala is a good player but doesn't suit the system Pep is trying to play. He's a good defender when he doesn't have the ball but he's terrible when he does have it. He also makes terrible positional mistakes which is a no-no in Pep's system.
Chief Piff, OK. But I don't understand your comments about him being a good defender when he doesn't have the ball, but terrible when he has it? How can that be, especially given that you said that he makes positional mistakes? Does that not happen when he does not have the ball?

These positional mistakes, did he make them yesterday? I thought he had a near-flawless game. Help me out and point out the positional mistakes he made yesterday. I watched him in La Liga last year, and nobody said anything about positional mistakes. His passing has improved tremendously after a season in La Liga where ball on the ground is supreme. He is not a Kompany, but he made a couple of outstanding passes yesterday. His pass completion rate was 93%.

The problem I see with Mangala is psychological, a problem that may make managers shy away from playing him. Because of his history in England, he has to have a flawless game every day because everyone is expecting him to make a mistake, and everyone will go "Aha! Did I not tell you?" when he makes any mistake. Such a situation is deeply destructive internally to anyone anywhere, not just in football. Black people face this kind of situation in the white work world, and it does not help with doing a good job. You have to be extremely strong inside to overcome it.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

ohsee wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:

Chief Piff, OK. But I don't understand your comments about him being a good defender when he doesn't have the ball, but terrible when he has it? How can that be, especially given that you said that he makes positional mistakes? Does that not happen when he does not have the ball?

These positional mistakes, did he make them yesterday? I thought he had a near-flawless game. Help me out and point out the positional mistakes he made yesterday. I watched him in La Liga last year, and nobody said anything about positional mistakes. His passing has improved tremendously after a season in La Liga where ball on the ground is supreme. He is not a Kompany, but he made a couple of outstanding passes yesterday. His pass completion rate was 93%.

The problem I see with Mangala is psychological, a problem that may make managers shy away from playing him. Because of his history in England, he has to have a flawless game every day because everyone is expecting him to make a mistake, and everyone will go "Aha! Did I not tell you?" when he makes any mistake. Such a situation is deeply destructive internally to anyone anywhere, not just in football. Black people face this kind of situation in the white work world, and it does not help with doing a good job. You have to be extremely strong inside to overcome it.
Making mistakes doesn't make one bad but it's a fine line playing a system that relies on positioning and possession. Yesterday, is one game and should not be used as a yardstick, I've seen terrible players have good days (not saying he's terrible). Valencia didn't play the system Pep is using at City so he can't be judged on that as well. Truth is that we don't know what Pep sees at the training ground.

I understand that as fans of the sport we may have our favorites for whatever reason but the truth is that coaches are paid to make decisions and they can't afford to be sentimental. Pep has, so far, done a good job at City and as long as the results are going this way it's hard to really criticize him.
Last edited by Mr. Piffington on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

YUJAM wrote:Ohsee Mangala makes a lot of unforced errors playing the ball out of the back. With him at CB they will be exposed by quality teams. Not sure why he got rid of Kelechi. But one thing I'll say is Pep is no clown. He keeps his best players unless there is personality clash or he believes he has players who can fill their role better.

BTW notice how Thiefco has been MIA. Ghana had a massive DNW and Pep is revolutionizing English football. SHORT-sightedness is not good.
Chief, I did not see all these unforced errors at Valencia or yesterday. The problem with many people--and I warn my kids about this all the time--is that once you create a bad impression, it is often very hard to change some people's minds about you. You may be doing all kinds of wonderful things NOW, and they don't see it--most people just retain that image in their minds about what you were doing four years ago.

I concede that Mangala may not be as skilled as Kompany and Stones at playing the ball out of the back. But he is good enough, and he is a better stopper than Stones.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Its a sign of inadequacy when you have to constantly big-up your league and teams...

The English have been hyping up their players and teams since 1966!!!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Mr. Piffington wrote: Making mistakes doesn't make one bad but it's a fine line playing a system that relies on positioning and possession. Yesterday, is one game and should not be used as a yardstick, I've seen terrible players have good days (not saying he's terrible). Valencia didn't play the system Pep is using at City so he can't be judged on that as well. Truth is that we don't know what Pep sees at the training ground.

I understand that as fans of the sport we may have our favorites for whatever reason but the truth is that coaches are paid to make decisions and they can't afford to be sentimental. Pep has, so far, done a good job at City and as long as the results are going this way it's hard to really criticize him.
Good points, though I quibble at coaches not being sentimental, or, as I prefer to put it, irrational. They are just as human as you and me, with all our flaws. Some of the insider stories about Pep suggest that he is not immune to crazyass irrationality.

I understand that Pep kept Manga on the squad because he has a very good attitude, and one condition of his staying is that he improve his passing. He is not as shaky as he used to be playing the ball out of defence, a shakiness that may have come from his shattered confidence due to the terrible experiences in his first two seasons. Spanish teams play the passing ball possession game, though few play it to the level that Pep has developed it. He has clearly benefited from his season with Valencia.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

L'Arse beating Spurs yesterday sweet me no be small. Damn, I have broken my tradition of watching two games a day only starting from January, and not before. I watched the big game of the day, and was hoping to see how Kele would perform against his old team. Disappointing. Anyway, back to work. I no go watch again until the season heats up, or someone starts challenging City.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

ohsee wrote:L'Arse beating Spurs yesterday sweet me no be small. Damn, I have broken my tradition of watching two games a day only starting from January, and not before. I watched the big game of the day, and was hoping to see how Kele would perform against his old team. Disappointing. Anyway, back to work. I no go watch again until the season heats up, or someone starts challenging City.
The EPL is heating up now. Jan is all about cup games.

As for the latter, not happening this season. They are running away with it.
The good thing is Arsenal and Chelsea have finally found their groove.
While ManU and Liverpool have finally got their injured stars back. Well, Fellaini is still out.
Unfortunately, it's a bit too late for these teams.
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

Pa,

As a defender Mangala is a decent tackler and would do well on a possession adverse team like Leicester who defend deep and then hit you with the speed of Vardy or the trickery of Mahrez.

At City though our defenders need to play and think like midfielders. Positive possession and movement. Confidence on the ball in dangerous situations and a willingness to stay open and continue to try stay open under pressure.

None of the above is normal for Mangala. He was way better against Leicester than against Wolves in the cup, and yes many City fans have a short leash where he is concerned.

And in fairness the same idiotic fans were equally as unkind to Stones last season.

There is a subtle difference though. Mangala's completion % is always very high. But it is purposely deceiving. He is cautious and often negative with his possession. This guarantees a high rate of passing success, but with a lower rate of play development. Stones on the other hand last season took the risks stuck with the process and help make it better.

In a way its really a microcosmic expression of reality. Those who are willing to risk failure have the greatest chance of true success. And those who spend their time trying to avoid minor failure never learn enough to be truly successful.

At the core Stones got that. From what I saw of Mangala against Leicester, it seems Pep has broken thru. You can only fail if you don't try.

He was surpringly more progressive against Leicester and even though he gave away 2 bad passes I was happier with this performance than what had been his norm.

As for Kompany, too many City fans are blinded by his faded greatness. Its no different from how Eagles fans used to call for Martin's long after he had stopped being an effective striker.

In conclusion, Mangala will never be a starter at City. Stones and Otamendi ate far better players and Kompany has history and credit with the club and fans. But Mangala as the 4th CB I'm okay with. Unfortunately, lots of City fans aren't.
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

YUJAM wrote:Ohsee Mangala makes a lot of unforced errors playing the ball out of the back. With him at CB they will be exposed by quality teams. Not sure why he got rid of Kelechi. But one thing I'll say is Pep is no clown. He keeps his best players unless there is personality clash or he believes he has players who can fill their role better.

I like Kelechi as much as the next guy, but if you are watching Aguero, Gabriel, Sterling and Sane this season and yet can't understand why Kelechi had to be moved. Then you are not trying hard enough to understand :idea:

Simply put, he would not have gotten any play time. All Sane and Sterling are light years better as wingforwards. Aguero and Jesus are way better as pure strikers.

Kelce is having a tough time cracking Leicesters line up. He clearly had little chance at City.
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

ohsee wrote:

Chief, I did not see all these unforced errors at Valencia or yesterday. The problem with many people--and I warn my kids about this all the time--is that once you create a bad impression, it is often very hard to change some people's minds about you. You may be doing all kinds of wonderful things NOW, and they don't see it--most people just retain that image in their minds about what you were doing four years ago.

I concede that Mangala may not be as skilled as Kompany and Stones at playing the ball out of the back. But he is good enough, and he is a better stopper than Stones.
Chief, he isn't a better anything than Stones. Stones is the best defender at the club. Not the best footballer on defense, which by the way he also is, but he is also the best pure defender now. Otamendi is close.

Stones is the leader of that defense. Has been groomed since the day he walked into the squad. And he looks the part.

John Stones - King of the North. The Barnsley Beckenbaur. The boy is the real deal hold the field! :thumbs:
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

City are certainly playing the best football, when man united faces city in december at home, i hope we do not have any injury worries, right now City have brushed aside Arsenal, liverpool, Chelsea, United will be their toughest test despite what anyone says here, united have the type of players to hurt city defence, like i said, they key to the city game is having the likes of Bailly, jones, rojo fit, that swedish defender is a total liability and the city forward line will eat him alive, i think United will play Pogba, felliani and matic in midfield, dont think Mata or Miky will start, should be an interesting game
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Arsenal's Invincibles, and Man Utd's 1994, 1999, and 2007 teams say hi.