Man City 'playing best football in Premier League history'

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Man City 'playing best football in Premier League histor

Post by Mr. Piffington »

airwolex wrote:A team with Otamendi and Stones can never be the best in Prem history. As for most entertaining...it's arguable whether they are more entertaining than the current Liverpool team never-mind the invinsibles.
You haven't watched Man City, you're like those typical Nigerians that only watch 3 EPL teams and think they know what they're talking about. Stones has improved tremendously compared to last season and Otamendi is a good partner for him. There's a reason why Man City are leading by 8 points currently.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
airwolex wrote:A team with Otamendi and Stones can never be the best in Prem history. As for most entertaining...it's arguable whether they are more entertaining than the current Liverpool team never-mind the invinsibles.
You haven't watched Man City, you're like those typical Nigerians that only watch 3 EPL teams and think they know what they're talking about. Stones has improved tremendously compared to last season and Otamendi is a good partner for him. There's a reason why Man City are leading by 8 points currently.
I have watched Man City and we are not even in December yet. This happens all the time, a team goes on a run and people lose their minds. This time last year, Chelsea were out of the loop. I highly doubt whether a team with Stones and Otamendi can stay the course, but let's wait and see.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

airwolex wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
I have watched Man City and we are not even in December yet. This happens all the time, a team goes on a run and people lose their minds. This time last year, Chelsea were out of the loop. I highly doubt whether a team with Stones and Otamendi can stay the course, but let's wait and see.
Boss, if you watched Man City then I doubt you would have said what you said.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
airwolex wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Boss, if you watched Man City then I doubt you would have said what you said.
Make we see now. Man U were not quite this good last season but at a point Pogba and Ibra looked like they'd run over everybody. When teams adjust to their style is when we can conclude that they are really good.
kastro11
Egg
Egg

Post by kastro11 »

----------Vieira---Gilberto-----
---Ljungberg-------Pires----
-----------------Bergkamp------
------------Henry----------------

Those 6 would make quick work of City's defense no matter who they play at the back.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
tfco wrote::clap: :clap: :clap:

those.academy.City.players

amazing
We have the all academy Man Utd team doing well...8 points behind.
thread title. oh yeah

Marcus Rashford.

over to you

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
paj wrote:Other teams will eventually figure City out. Actually Leicester were making a good case until that yeye Mahrez kept ephing up :mad: defend well, and find holds in their half of the field, take your chances and GBAM...they have an 8 point lead...if Spurs and Manure beat/take points from them alloverasudden they wont look so special anymore. Remember this is how they started last season :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
They are playing better than last season.
Heck, they lost to LCFC 4-2 last season, and Pep got rid of 6 players in that game.

This is a new City. Even Sterling is having moments of brilliance games. :shock:
You can tell people who watch football as opposed to people who watch brands. Anybody comparing this City team to last year's team doesn't watch City. They are play far better now and have taken to Pep's system quite well compared to last year.
:D :D :D

Stan, relax. gosh

I thought only Spastic was the.......ahh never mind

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

It's half time and City are down 1-0.
How many goals will they score today?

I missed the 1st half so cannot tell.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Trust some dumb player to do something dumb. What was that stupid player thinking pulling Raheem in the box? That the ref would overlook it and wish you merry xmas? Your team worked hard to take the lead,you throw it away with dumbness not even found in school yard football.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

City are lookig good must admit
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

Awww! The folks who listened to the pundits are trying there best not to believe their eyes. Lol. Checkbook manager has a way of changing the core meaning of different ideas. A keeper Libero, an attacking midfielder wide back, an inverted fullback, an overlapping center back.

All the strange abnormalities confuse the English minded football fan.nRather than try to understand it, they instead ridicule it. Then it grows as they are busy laughing at how idiotic it was for him to think he could do it here 8-)

I don't know who is the best team ever, I suppose the invisibles, they never got beat over a season. But a simple look at the facts over the first 13 weeks, suggests no team has been this good over 13 weeks. None. Notched invisibles, not the great Chelsea scoring squads, not any Manu club ever.... None.

No team ever has had more points, scored more goals, created more chances, conceded fewer chances, owned more possession, won this many consecutive games across all competitions at this time. Sure, this doesn't prove anything. But this much is true, no team has been better btw August and November 26th. None :idea:

Those are just the facts..... No feelings.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

There is a difference (to some) between being the best team and playing the best football.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

ohsee wrote:
spastic wrote: Pa,

As a defender Mangala is a decent tackler and would do well on a possession adverse team like Leicester who defend deep and then hit you with the speed of Vardy or the trickery of Mahrez.

At City though our defenders need to play and think like midfielders. Positive possession and movement. Confidence on the ball in dangerous situations and a willingness to stay open and continue to try stay open under pressure.

None of the above is normal for Mangala. He was way better against Leicester than against Wolves in the cup, and yes many City fans have a short leash where he is concerned.

And in fairness the same idiotic fans were equally as unkind to Stones last season.

There is a subtle difference though. Mangala's completion % is always very high. But it is purposely deceiving. He is cautious and often negative with his possession. This guarantees a high rate of passing success, but with a lower rate of play development. Stones on the other hand last season took the risks stuck with the process and help make it better.

In a way its really a microcosmic expression of reality. Those who are willing to risk failure have the greatest chance of true success. And those who spend their time trying to avoid minor failure never learn enough to be truly successful.

At the core Stones got that. From what I saw of Mangala against Leicester, it seems Pep has broken thru. You can only fail if you don't try.

He was surpringly more progressive against Leicester and even though he gave away 2 bad passes I was happier with this performance than what had been his norm.

As for Kompany, too many City fans are blinded by his faded greatness. Its no different from how Eagles fans used to call for Martin's long after he had stopped being an effective striker.

In conclusion, Mangala will never be a starter at City. Stones and Otamendi ate far better players and Kompany has history and credit with the club and fans. But Mangala as the 4th CB I'm okay with. Unfortunately, lots of City fans aren't.

Chief, he isn't a better anything than Stones. Stones is the best defender at the club. Not the best footballer on defense, which by the way he also is, but he is also the best pure defender now. Otamendi is close.

Stones is the leader of that defense.

John Stones - King of the North. The Barnsley Beckenbaur.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
My bros spazz,
I fully expected you to bring comedy to this matter, and you have not disappointed. I have highlighted the comedic comments you have made just for those laggards who can't get a punch line that is punching them in the face. :D :taunt:

The one that had me rolling on the floor is comparing Stones to Beckenbauer. You've obviously never seen Der Kaiser play. That Stones, who looked like the worst defender in the league a season ago, can be compared to one of the greatest to play the game is proof that you are not serious. :D :taunt:

Chief, jokes aside, Stones has obviously improved. So has Mangala. Mangala stepped in for Stones yesterday, and I did not see that there was a loss in defensive quality. Maybe you did, but be specific and point it out to me. Please be mindful that I watched a recorded version that allowed me to rewind and fast forward, and I have not deleted it from my recorder yet. While Stones may be better at playing the ball out of defence, Mangala has far more pace and is a better tackler. I suggest that we will get to see more of him in the second half barring any foolishness on Pep's part in January.
Pa,

You can see I went all in on my response coz I knew you'd have that game recorded. I have long ago pipped that you were a Closet City fan. So discussing this with a native is easier :taunt:

***Side note*** Pa J, your application was denied in August. You can only apply once every 12 months. So please stop sending weekly applications in. It's embarrassing for all involved :oops: And enough with the "Man City rap videos" They are nice, but a bit OTT :atc: Just ask Pa Ohsee what he did to get in. I think you are overthinking it :taunt:

Anyway back on topic :D

Pa, yes Mangala has improved. I said as much in my original claim. And while you couldn't find defensive instances where there was a drop off, I'd suggest that had more to do with possession dominance than it does individual defensive excellence. But there in lies the point, City is a ball dominant club, today we had 80% possession, generally against good teams we average about 65% and against average teams 75 to 80%.

AndBecause of this possession disparity, any average replacement CB can survive competently in a City defense so long as you follow the basic possession rules. We average giving up 3 chances a game. There just aren't that many opportunities to show individual defensive sturdiness. More important to a City defender, at least at the present time, is your ability to possess the ball, move with it, and the vision and technique to help create chances. Teams are smartly realizing their best chance against City is to park the bus and counter when possible.

Long ball over the top behind our CBs are useless coz Ederson practically hangs out just outside the 18 when we have the ball, so over the CB balls he will get to 1st. So the best bet is long balls to the flanks. Pep purposely tried to remedy that by getting the 2 fastest fullbacks he could find. Overpaid for both, but for a good reason. Unless you have Sane/Mane type speed on your flanks, your chances doing this isn't great either. But a better bet.

So in a way, by installing a weaker possession defender, we are in fact installing a weaker defender. Regardless of whether you are a better tackler. City's best defender is possession :idea: Those who do it better are automatically better it seems.

But all that theory aside, John Stones is just better at diagnosing the problem and extinguishing it long before it becomes a problem. Mainly coz he is Pep's brain on the field and sees danger things before they develop. Directs the defense better and is supremely confident. Mangala on the other hand is still coming to grips with positioning, you can almost hear his thoughts watching him. Just pay close attention when he doesn't have the ball, he is unsure where to go. If another City player crosses into his area, he just looks unsure coz he doesn't know where to rotate too. His natural instinct is to drop further back but occupy the sameness space.

Today is a noteworthy example of why we need Stones. We would not have won against a tightly packed defense if we had Mangala tentatively passing sideways at the back against a team that had resolved to pack the bus. Our center backs in many games will be the key passers, coz they'll be the only ones allowed to freely use the ball as teams stay tight in their area. If Mangala can't do an Otamendi or Stones and bring it up confidently with the intentions of executing a wall pass or triangle move, then he simply won't survive at City, no matter how fast or how strongly he puts in a tackle. :(
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

oloye wrote:Trust some dumb player to do something dumb. What was that stupid player thinking pulling Raheem in the box? That the ref would overlook it and wish you merry xmas? Your team worked hard to take the lead,you throw it away with dumbness not even found in school yard football.
Uhmmm... I think Raheem would have scored if he hadn't, That said, the mental fatigue that comes with defending against 80% possession, throws up brain farts like those we saw today. Everyone is great the first 45, it's in the 2nd 45 that these mental lapses start to show.

If you were watching as a neutral (I.e. and not hopefully like most fans of other clubs I won't mention :taunt: ) you'd notice a certain calmness to City's approach. We expect this from a lot more teams. We also understand the chances will increase as they get tired and mental fatigue sets in. It's poor football display, but we understand it is the best way to earn a win against us. So we have players ready to fight through the obstacle and punish the lapses of mental fatigue.
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

tfco wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
paj wrote:Other teams will eventually figure City out. Actually Leicester were making a good case until that yeye Mahrez kept ephing up :mad: defend well, and find holds in their half of the field, take your chances and GBAM...they have an 8 point lead...if Spurs and Manure beat/take points from them alloverasudden they wont look so special anymore. Remember this is how they started last season :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
They are playing better than last season.
Heck, they lost to LCFC 4-2 last season, and Pep got rid of 6 players in that game.

This is a new City. Even Sterling is having moments of brilliance games. :shock:
You can tell people who watch football as opposed to people who watch brands. Anybody comparing this City team to last year's team doesn't watch City. They are play far better now and have taken to Pep's system quite well compared to last year.
:D :D :D

Stan, relax. gosh

I thought only Spastic was the.......ahh never mind
Mr Piff has been telling it straight for years. It didn't start today. :D
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

Molue Conductor wrote:There is a difference (to some) between being the best team and playing the best football.
Yes, but it's possible to be both. These are not mutually excluding ideas :idea:

I think Napoli plays the best football in Europe, yet PSG is currently the best team :D

However, that is not always the case.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

spastic wrote: Pa,

You can see I went all in on my response coz I knew you'd have that game recorded. I have long ago pipped that you were a Closet City fan. So discussing this with a native is easier :taunt:

***Side note*** Pa J, your application was denied in August. You can only apply once every 12 months. So please stop sending weekly applications in. It's embarrassing for all involved :oops: And enough with the "Man City rap videos" They are nice, but a bit OTT :atc: Just ask Pa Ohsee what he did to get in. I think you are overthinking it :taunt:

Anyway back on topic :D

Pa, yes Mangala has improved. I said as much in my original claim. And while you couldn't find defensive instances where there was a drop off, I'd suggest that had more to do with possession dominance than it does individual defensive excellence. But there in lies the point, City is a ball dominant club, today we had 80% possession, generally against good teams we average about 65% and against average teams 75 to 80%.

AndBecause of this possession disparity, any average replacement CB can survive competently in a City defense so long as you follow the basic possession rules. We average giving up 3 chances a game. There just aren't that many opportunities to show individual defensive sturdiness. More important to a City defender, at least at the present time, is your ability to possess the ball, move with it, and the vision and technique to help create chances. Teams are smartly realizing their best chance against City is to park the bus and counter when possible.

Long ball over the top behind our CBs are useless coz Ederson practically hangs out just outside the 18 when we have the ball, so over the CB balls he will get to 1st. So the best bet is long balls to the flanks. Pep purposely tried to remedy that by getting the 2 fastest fullbacks he could find. Overpaid for both, but for a good reason. Unless you have Sane/Mane type speed on your flanks, your chances doing this isn't great either. But a better bet.

So in a way, by installing a weaker possession defender, we are in fact installing a weaker defender. Regardless of whether you are a better tackler. City's best defender is possession :idea: Those who do it better are automatically better it seems.

But all that theory aside, John Stones is just better at diagnosing the problem and extinguishing it long before it becomes a problem. Mainly coz he is Pep's brain on the field and sees danger things before they develop. Directs the defense better and is supremely confident. Mangala on the other hand is still coming to grips with positioning, you can almost hear his thoughts watching him. Just pay close attention when he doesn't have the ball, he is unsure where to go. If another City player crosses into his area, he just looks unsure coz he doesn't know where to rotate too. His natural instinct is to drop further back but occupy the sameness space.

Today is a noteworthy example of why we need Stones. We would not have won against a tightly packed defense if we had Mangala tentatively passing sideways at the back against a team that had resolved to pack the bus. Our center backs in many games will be the key passers, coz they'll be the only ones allowed to freely use the ball as teams stay tight in their area. If Mangala can't do an Otamendi or Stones and bring it up confidently with the intentions of executing a wall pass or triangle move, then he simply won't survive at City, no matter how fast or how strongly he puts in a tackle. :(
:D
See Jankara Market intanet punditry. My friend, all this one na noise. I laughed the most at this:
Mangala on the other hand is still coming to grips with positioning, you can almost hear his thoughts watching him. Just pay close attention when he doesn't have the ball, he is unsure where to go. If another City player crosses into his area, he just looks unsure coz he doesn't know where to rotate too. His natural instinct is to drop further back but occupy the sameness space.
Ma fren, Mangala has had three straight games, albeit as a last minute sub today. Did the football punditocracy not declare Mangala useless, and predict everyday that he would be shipped out to Kazakhstan? Yet, here he is still on City's books on the game-day squad, and what? Playing three straight games without the sort of mistakes that Otamendi and even the great Kompany made?

Be careful what you say. While it is indeed possible that Mangala will still be shipped out in the January window, I think he has made a solid case for City not wasting money on another center back. But you know how money-miss-road people are.

So enough jagbajantis about Mangala. I thought you defended City players blindly? Why are you making an exception in this case? My guy, Manga played a year with Valencia where he was a beast in defence. Watch the two games Valencia played against Real to see the real Mangala :D . They were heading for relegation before he arrived. Many teams, including Valencia, wanted him, but he chose to stay and prove himself with City. I admire him for his courage in the face of all the unbelievable personal insults he got during his first run at City. The gods have smiled on him, and he has been given a chance which he has taken very well. I hope he gets a chance to show what he can do against the big teams. I think Pep now recognizes the importance of giving him playing time. :idea:

By the way, I hate Pep, but admire his style of play and his genius. I enjoy City football, and enjoy Spanish footie too--they are the Brazilians of of old reborn. I record the games because I am often doing something when they are live.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

spastic wrote:
Awww! The folks who listened to the pundits are trying there best not to believe their eyes. Lol. Checkbook manager has a way of changing the core meaning of different ideas. A keeper Libero, an attacking midfielder wide back, an inverted fullback, an overlapping center back.

All the strange abnormalities confuse the English minded football fan.nRather than try to understand it, they instead ridicule it. Then it grows as they are busy laughing at how idiotic it was for him to think he could do it here 8-)

I don't know who is the best team ever, I suppose the invisibles, they never got beat over a season. But a simple look at the facts over the first 13 weeks, suggests no team has been this good over 13 weeks. None. Notched invisibles, not the great Chelsea scoring squads, not any Manu club ever.... None.

No team ever has had more points, scored more goals, created more chances, conceded fewer chances, owned more possession, won this many consecutive games across all competitions at this time. Sure, this doesn't prove anything. But this much is true, no team has been better btw August and November 26th. None :idea:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Bookmarked!!! :twisted: :twisted:
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

airwolex wrote:
spastic wrote:

You will wait for a long time to revise this. Between the beginning of the season to November 26th is key.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

nemi2002 wrote:
airwolex wrote:
spastic wrote:

You will wait for a long time to revise this. Between the beginning of the season to November 26th is key.
All games matter but the Xmas week is brutal!
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Plastic the fairweather fan :D
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

spastic wrote: Awww! The folks who listened to the pundits are trying there best not to believe their eyes. Lol. Checkbook manager has a way of changing the core meaning of different ideas. A keeper Libero, an attacking midfielder wide back, an inverted fullback, an overlapping center back.

Is there anything new about these in football