WHAT DID ARGENTINA DO WRONG

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: WHAT DID ARGENTINA DO WRONG

Post by marko »

The gap in world football is so little that any so called big team can be beaten on their day, only England still have their proud unbeaten record never to have lost to an African Side in a competitive game
Look Argentina have beaten Nigeria in every competitive senior level game bar the olympics, 1994, 2002,2010,2014, they have every right to be arrogant or over confident, its just human nature, why racism??? They were leading by the half time and it was indeed a friendly game, yes Nigeria showed character to come back and win

If we meet them at the world cup with Messi playing, can Nigeria perform this same feat? Not too sure
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

marko wrote:The gap in world football is so little that any so called big team can be beaten on their day, only England still have their proud unbeaten record never to have lost to an African Side in a competitive game
Look Argentina have beaten Nigeria in every competitive senior level game bar the olympics, 1994, 2002,2010,2014, they have every right to be arrogant or over confident, its just human nature, why racism??? They were leading by the half time and it was indeed a friendly game, yes Nigeria showed character to come back and win

If we meet them at the world cup with Messi playing, can Nigeria perform this same feat? Not too sure
Argentina is different from every other South American nation. Have you ever seen a black player feature for them before?

After the end of the slave trade, they expelled all the negroes to Brazil and stepped up emigration from Europe to make the country caucasian. Ask yourself where are the native Americans in Argentina today.

Do you know that after World War Two, more Nazis emigrated ti Argentina than any other nation on earth. If you visit any Argentine football forum, you will detect all these sentiments coming through. When Maradona says we have stolen their dignity, would he ever say the same if they lost to a European nation?

I saw one comment ion a BBC site whereby an Argentine fan said Nigeria only won because this game did not mean anything to them but it meant the world to us. He said this was not England, Italy, Germany, Brazil or Holland, so Argentina had nothing to gain from beating Nigeria.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

deanotito wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:Argentina struggled through the WC qualifier and without their talisman (Messi), they remain just an ordinary side. It wasn't in the script to lose to Nigeria. It's just that we had a few more gears and Argentina couldn't match that..

So Nigeria is the better side and Argentina should have had no hope of winning?
On the night, yes we were .....Even the Argentine coach and players put their hands up and admitted that much...
pasamu
Egg
Egg

Post by pasamu »

Greg was spot on with his assessment. Argentina are trying to implement the 3-3-3-1 formation Chile (remember Sampaoli was Chiles coach during their recent successful spell) has done so well recently with. It requires a high press; trying to half court press the opponent and using the extra bodies in midfield to isolate and dispossess the opponent with the ball. (Algeria played similarly but they never hunted the ball player with the intensity and numbers Argentina did). Nigeria did well all things considered against it. Players under pressure did not panic, funnelled the ball back and tried to start again. Unlike in the past and what so many other teams under such pressure would do, we did not aimlessly punt the ball into opposition half. The big problem was the new formation, nerves and the slowness of our possession build up meant Argentina were back defensively before we got the ball into dangerous positions and thus our occasional good build up play kept breaking down in the argentine last third. However what that first half showed was not only most of our players were comfortable with the ball at their feet- I said most not all- but our levels of organisation and resilience under pressure was very very impressive. Remember the first goal only came due to a goal keeping brain fart. For all their pressure and ball retention Argentina never cut us open the way has happened in the past.
Beating the intense pressing Argentina played can be done by reducing the game to jambody football (by pressing them equally fiercely and hoping to exploit the mistakes such an aggressive tactic would produce), weathering the storm;waiting for the inevitable slowdown in the press as the game winds down and then taking over or beating the intial press to exploit the gaps playing just three at the back leaves. Brilliantly we did option three and were aided as option two inevitably kicked in. Rewatch the game and note all our goals came from a simple chipped ball over the midfield press into the right wing channel Awaziem did it twice or thrice and the keeper Uzoho got in on the act and did it at least once. All actions resulted in goals. The weakness of the argentine defensive three in one on one situations was ruthlessly exposed by Iheanacho’s attacking play in the right inside forward channel. With the Argentine midfield turned and now running back towards their goal the superior athleticism and skill of our players did the rest. At last Iwobi really showed the versatility being coached by Wenger in several different roles produces. He ran in open space with the ball at his feet like a winger, he took up positions just outside the 18 yard box like an attacking midfielder and he finished with the aplomb of a top striker. Once we took the lead, game over. If a fresh full or running Argentina could not carve open our defence how were those tiring shortbread South Americans going to do it with us sitting waiting rocklike, just waiting for the chance to break once their attacks foundered. We showed the usual accepted African footballing stereotypes, pace and power, reminded the world of others most commentators only begrudging credit us with; technique and skill, and revealed a new set that nobody including many forumites never knew we (thank you Herr Rohr) possessed: skill under intense pressure, the resilience to adapt to a new system (ask England to play 3 at the back after going 2 down and every English man would be screaming dis yeye system self make we play 4-4-2 joor), organisational defensiveness (Germany would have been proud of the shape we kept without the ball and recovering quickly after losing it) and a refusal to understand when you are beat (Did you notice Iheanachos face after he scored his freekick no crazy celebration just a look of gimme ball make we score again. How about our subs when we equalised, yes smile of happiness but no wild jubilating as if they realised we neva cook dis tuff Argentine nama finish yet o). This was no flukey win we took on a motivated albiceleste, went behind to them, caught them up and then left them coughing and spluttering our exhaust fumes, very very impressive
my times are in HIS hands
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
marko wrote:The gap in world football is so little that any so called big team can be beaten on their day, only England still have their proud unbeaten record never to have lost to an African Side in a competitive game

Argentina is different from every other South American nation. Have you ever seen a black player feature for them before?

After the end of the slave trade, they expelled all the negroes to Brazil and stepped up emigration from Europe to make the country caucasian. Ask yourself where are the native Americans in Argentina today.

Do you know that after World War Two, more Nazis emigrated ti Argentina than any other nation on earth. If you visit any Argentine football forum, you will detect all these sentiments coming through. When Maradona says we have stolen their dignity, would he ever say the same if they lost to a European nation?

I saw one comment ion a BBC site whereby an Argentine fan said Nigeria only won because this game did not mean anything to them but it meant the world to us. He said this was not England, Italy, Germany, Brazil or Holland, so Argentina had nothing to gain from beating Nigeria.
There aren't that many Afro Argentines to begin with, most of them were killed in war, died from diseases etc. in the 19th century. Colombia, Brazil, Ecuador etc. have larger Black populations. Argentina is also not simply a 'Caucasian' country by colonization, a significant % of Argentinians descend from Europeans who migrated in the 19th and 20th centuries. So Argentina is a VERY white country.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

deanotito wrote:If the score was reversed, and it was Nigeria that got beat 4-2, there’d be pages and pages of analysis on here about how Rohr/this or that player got it wrong.

Because we’re Nigerian, a lot of the analyses would be overly emotional. So why don’t we do an exercise...I’ve watched the game a few times and still can’t pin point why Argentina failed so badly. Did they simply play a better team? Or was this a tactical failure? If so, where? Even Sampaoli, in his post game presser, seemed confused
....they did not play well or they missed their magic midget or they took SE for granted or it's a friendly so or simply they got beat by a motivated bunch :biggrin:
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Guys, Argentina barely qualified from South America, whose teams are in poor form.
Just look at how easily a Tite led Brazil qualified.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Mr Shows wrote: They (Argentina) didn't anticipate the fight back. The SE never stopped believing and kept running hard... Our boys had a good leader on the pitch and a good tactician on the bench.....It wasn't a fluke, we were the better team on the night.
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: I think Argentina being up 2-0, they thought the rest was a straight run to victory. However, when we began to fight back, Argentina didn't know what hit them and it was all over
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Kabalega wrote:Argentina players went through the motions in the second half after Sergio Agüero collapsed and was taken to hospital at half time.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You are funny - Chief Kabalega!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Kabalega wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Arrogance and racism played a big part in their loss. They felt they just had to show up for the second half as there is no way these savage Africans can come back and beat them. Their body language showed they they felt the game was theirs for taking Come what may!
This guy!
You think Argentina players specifically asked to have a friendly game with Nigeria just to boost their confidence?
Oga Kabalega, please why did Argentina asked to play Nigeria? It seems you know something I'd like to hear.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Most European sides dont like losing to African sides as well in major competitons as they feel Africans are inferior football wise, Argentina have a proud footballing history as well, they have won the world cup twice, been runner up on several occasions, have so many footballing greats, if this makes them arrogant on their day, so be it, they have earned the right to act like this, i dont think they are any different from Italy, Germany, England, Spain,Brazil,France, if only Nigeria can get its act together, i see no reason why it cannot be in this type of company, Nigeria has underachieved in world football despite the array of talents it continues to produce

Most likely Nigeria will get Argentina again and they will be out for revenge, this time with Messi
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

On March 23 and 27, Argentina will be facing Italy and Japan respectively. I doubt they will find losing in both matches as insulting as being beaten by an African team.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

On March 23 and 27, Argentina will be facing Italy and Japan respectively. I doubt they will find losing in both matches as insulting as being beaten by an African team.
Yes of course, Africa is still seen as the dark continent so losing to advanced nations like Italy or Japan, they can take solace in the fact its Italy, i personally love it when African sides beat these big footballing nations like Brazil, Argentina, They have to continue to do so, maybe 2018 world cup will be the time of the underdogs to win but we know this will not happen, by the quarter finals, it will be the usual suspects, nigeria?? Hmm, lets put it this way, Ayo will write a 10 reasons we lost to a Swedish average side

Marko
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

1naija wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:They didn't take the game seriously because they wanted to avoid injuries.
Yeah, it couldn't be because of Rohr's tactical adjustment at the half. It must be because they didn't take the game seriously.

Calling for local coach to take us to the world Cup. :lol: :lol:
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

I think you are going too far with your assumptions.
If Argentina did not respect Nigeria as a footballing nation, they would not have requested the friendly with us.

I know for a fact that no Argentinian considers a match against Nigeria a given. I worked in Buenos Aires for a few weeks on a project and I have many Argentinian friends and one African team they always talk about with respect and some concern is Nigeria. In the run up to the last world cup, they consistently mentioned beating us was the key to winning the group (not Bosnia).

When you look at the results between our 2 countries, other than some odd friendlies, in competitive matches, the results are always close, with Lionel Messi being the difference maker more often than not.

If you check their forums after the match, not one person felt the match result was completely unacceptable or out of the ordinary. They were more annoyed with the performance of their team to be honest.

Chill with the assumptions Ayo.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
goldenera94
Egg
Egg

Post by goldenera94 »

We played a goalless draw in 1995 at the confederation cup in Saudi Arabia.

Goldenera94
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

charlie wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

I think you are going too far with your assumptions.
If Argentina did not respect Nigeria as a footballing nation, they would not have requested the friendly with us.

I know for a fact that no Argentinian considers a match against Nigeria a given. I worked in Buenos Aires for a few weeks on a project and I have many Argentinian friends and one African team they always talk about with respect and some concern is Nigeria. In the run up to the last world cup, they consistently mentioned beating us was the key to winning the group (not Bosnia).

When you look at the results between our 2 countries, other than some odd friendlies, in competitive matches, the results are always close, with Lionel Messi being the difference maker more often than not.

If you check their forums after the match, not one person felt the match result was completely unacceptable or out of the ordinary. They were more annoyed with the performance of their team to be honest.

Chill with the assumptions Ayo.
One cant scream racism at every given chance, all the times we have been beaten by argentina, it has been pretty close, 1994, 2-1, 2002, 1-0, 2010, 1-0, 2014, 3-2, so argentina have never trashed Nigeria, take the olympics into consideration, 1996, 3-2, 2008 olympics final, 1-0,always close, the argentines must love playing Nigeria and if we do meet at the world cup will make this even more interesting. I secretly think Argentines are scared of Nigeria skill level as well, they always find a way to prevail though but i think the battle lines have been drawn once again, its a pride thing, all the top footballing nations have this charateristics in their repertoire, remember 1994,Italy had to dig out a victory against Nigeria, Baggio said, we could not afford to lose to that team, i wish Nigeria had this attitude as well

Marko
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Odas wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Arrogance and racism played a big part in their loss. They felt they just had to show up for the second half as there is no way these savage Africans can come back and beat them. Their body language showed they they felt the game was theirs for taking Come what may!
This guy!
You think Argentina players specifically asked to have a friendly game with Nigeria just to boost their confidence?
Oga Kabalega, please why did Argentina asked to play Nigeria? It seems you know something I'd like to hear.
They wanted to test their new system, especially their defense against a rejuvenated wifey. :D
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Argentina were without Aguero and Messi. Short and simple. Two top notch attacking players who make the difference between a win and a loss. However, where I see Argentina's frailties is their defence. They will chop a lot of goals against attacking teams. They will be demolished Brazil WC 2014 style if they meet the likes of France or Germany.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

kali wrote:Argentina were without Aguero and Messi. Short and simple. Two top notch attacking players who make the difference between a win and a loss. However, where I see Argentina's frailties is their defence. They will chop a lot of goals against attacking teams. They will be demolished Brazil WC 2014 style if they meet the likes of France or Germany.
You are right. Messi makes a huge difference to their team. Without him, they are at half strength.