Nigeria Expected to Fall in FIFA Ranking....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Nigeria Expected to Fall in FIFA Ranking....

Post by truetalk »

Kabalega wrote:
Odas wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:All countries have the same number of FIFA windows to play with. In between are the continental tournaments, not qualifying for the last ANC had far reaching consequences..
Yeah. It helped Naija go up in rankings.
Kai chief, na wah for you! Not playing the recent AFCON (2017) helped Nigeria in the ranking?
Look up the trend history.
You this Pelican Crane.

We don't care.

You can keep your most improved team in Africa and the best Goalkeeper award. The rankings don't bother us too much.

While a better ranking could have helped us get into a better pot, you saw what happened to the No. 4 ranked team in the world when they crossed the path of the eagles. We just need a break or two with the groups in Russia and we will be fine. We intend to go all the way.

I hope you have ordered your SE jersey, and will be cheering dutifully for us in Russia.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Kabalega wrote:
Odas wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:All countries have the same number of FIFA windows to play with. In between are the continental tournaments, not qualifying for the last ANC had far reaching consequences..
Kai chief, na wah for you! Not playing the recent AFCON (2017) helped Nigeria in the ranking?
Well, look up the trend history.

In case you missed it, Naija's playing in WC and friendlies and AFCON qualifiers has led to a drop in ranking.
Care to explain that? :D
How did Cameroon and Egypt rise?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Kabalega wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
We definitely would have climbed a few more places...
You realize that most teams ranked ahead of Naija dropped in rankings while a dormant Naija climbed.
Makes sense but for the fact that way more often than not, Nigeria usually reaches the semi-finals or higher in the ANC when they qualify. So not qualifying hurt our rankings. Facts not feelings.

Regardless, as was mentioned by truetalk, the rankings at the WC level doesn't make much of a difference for us. Whether you put us in pot 1 or pot 4, more often than not, we have qualified out of our group so no yawa.

As a Uganda chap, you won't get it due to zero WC dreams in your lifetime so it is what it is. :sad:
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

truetalk wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Odas wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Look up the trend history.
You this Pelican Crane.

We don't care.

You can keep your most improved team in Africa and the best Goalkeeper award. The rankings don't bother us too much.

While a better ranking could have helped us get into a better pot, you saw what happened to the No. 4 ranked team in the world when they crossed the path of the eagles. We just need a break or two with the groups in Russia and we will be fine. We intend to go all the way.

I hope you have ordered your SE jersey, and will be cheering dutifully for us in Russia.
Yellow looks better on me... :wink:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
highbury
Egg
Egg
If this is true, that confirms my suspicion about FIFA

Post by highbury »

If this is true, that confirms my suspicion about FIFA
Nigeria is apparently suppose to go down in FIFA rankings in spite of her 4-2 win against Argentina.

https://enrichas.com/super-eagles-fall- ... king-read/
john12
Egg
Egg
Re: If this is true, that confirms my suspicion about FIFA

Post by john12 »

There’s no suspicion. The rules were in place before Nigeria game vs Argentina read it then understand how this rankings works then come back here
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

john12 wrote:There’s no suspicion. The rules were in place before Nigeria game vs Argentina read it then understand how this rankings works then come back here
Lol. Typical CE. There is always a devil's advocate.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

john12 wrote:There’s no suspicion. The rules were in place before Nigeria game vs Argentina read it then understand how this rankings works then come back here
So you who read am, nna make una break it down for us here wey no sabi book...
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Unfortunately, the rankings criteria doesn’t favor African teams. However, if super eagles wants increase rankings we shouldn’t play any friendly for a long time. In addition to it, we should only play
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

john12 wrote:Unfortunately, the rankings criteria doesn’t favor African teams. However, if super eagles wants increase rankings we shouldn’t play any friendly for a long time. In addition to it, we should only play
Huh? :???: :???: You didn't even address Charlie's question. With all due disrespect you didn't make a sense.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:Believe it or not, Nigeria's ranking will fall in spite of its recent result. Guess what? Cameroon expected to move ahead of Nigeria!! Is this not hilarious? This is why people :roll: :roll: at FIFA Ranking. Nigeria's ranking falls to #50 by early next week. Nigeria is expected to lose points. To follow ranking predictions you can always check out the link below (Too long to post the story here):

http://www.football-rankings.info/2017/ ... eview.html
Prof., It appears that you are right.

We indeed fell to 50th.

http://www.iclarified.com/entries/index ... =1&scid=25

And when you look at CAF, we are the 8th ranked in Africa. :lol: :lol: :lol: ooh FIFA... :D

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ ... n/caf.html

It only means that any team we beat in the world cup will be an upset. :taunt:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

According to BBC:

BBC Sport‏Verified account @BBCSport

Italy failed to qualify for the #WorldCup... but they've still moved above England in the Fifa world rankings.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Purity wrote:According to BBC:

Italy failed to qualify for the #WorldCup... but they've still moved above England in the Fifa world rankings.
There continues to be a HUGE DIVIDE between what fans expect from FIFA ranking and what FIFA produces. FIFA has indicated that it will likely tweak the ranking yet again. IMHO, they will only achieve credibility with the ranking by removing the use of data that covers a long period. Think of this: most people expect the ranking to reflect the current strength of teams. Mere logic indicates that to achieve that it is important to use recent data rather than distant data. Additionally, FIFA should ditch the coefficients that give weaker countries such as Luxembourg a leg up over stronger countries that are in confederations outside Europe and South America. If coefficients must be retained then it should not be based on confederations but on a more logical strength of current rank. These are my fews and there are other ways to adjust the ranking to reflect the reality of current strength. Here I am assuming FIFA decides to go away from a system that focuses on a team's strength in last four years to one that focuses on more current strength.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Elo Rankings try...., but are still controversial.

http://www.eloratings.net/world_cup_africa.html
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

So Spain moves to pot 1 while Switzerland, Peru and France will be in pot 2
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Enugu II wrote:
Purity wrote:According to BBC:

There continues to be a HUGE DIVIDE between what fans expect from FIFA ranking and what FIFA produces. FIFA has indicated that it will likely tweak the ranking yet again. IMHO, they will only achieve credibility with the ranking by removing the use of data that covers a long period. Think of this: most people expect the ranking to reflect the current strength of teams. Mere logic indicates that to achieve that it is important to use recent data rather than distant data. Additionally, FIFA should ditch the coefficients that give weaker countries such as Luxembourg a leg up over stronger countries that are in confederations outside Europe and South America. If coefficients must be retained then it should not be based on confederations but on a more logical strength of current rank. These are my fews and there are other ways to adjust the ranking to reflect the reality of current strength. Here I am assuming FIFA decides to go away from a system that focuses on a team's strength in last four years to one that focuses on more current strength.
That is the only thing that makes sense. Use current strength of teams and assign coefficients to blocks say 1st 20 teams gets a 1.0 coefficient, next 10-20 gets a 0.98 coefficient or thereabout and so on. They also need to attach some values to where the game is played.

I'm not holding my breath on FIFA doing the right thing though.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Cito wrote:So Spain moves to pot 1 while Switzerland, Peru and France will be in pot 2
I thought that the pots were based on September rankings?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Cito wrote:So Spain moves to pot 1 while Switzerland, Peru and France will be in pot 2

No one is moving anywhere. The draws were done using the October rankings. The pots are cast in stone!
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Kabalega wrote:
I thought that the pots were based on September rankings?
I didn't know that, thought they will be using the most recent one. Oh well this is FIFA and their ways.