Is Elderson Echiéjilé At Risk Of Losing Super Eagles Spot?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is Elderson Echiéjilé At Risk Of Losing Super Eagles Spo

Post by danfo driver »

papilo wrote:Should he be our first choice left back at the world cup? Definitely NOT!! Should he be in the squad of 23? Definitely. His experience is needed as a squad member but not as a starter. He is also a good back up to have at a world cup due to his experience and being the only natural left back we have at the moment but I don't think he should be a starter anymore.

Please tell us the experience he has, aside from being rejected from one club to another! Is he even a starter in his backyard club now?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

danfo driver wrote:
Cito wrote:The best at each position gets the nod irrespective of past performances. If he feels he should be there , then his level of play should Mirror that. No sentiments.
Why??? We are not interested in the best, my friend! Experience counts! :clap: :clap:
Feelings and sentiments trumps facts and performances to some on here.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
solo
Egg
Egg

Post by solo »

danfo driver wrote:
papilo wrote:Should he be our first choice left back at the world cup? Definitely NOT!! Should he be in the squad of 23? Definitely. His experience is needed as a squad member but not as a starter. He is also a good back up to have at a world cup due to his experience and being the only natural left back we have at the moment but I don't think he should be a starter anymore.

Please tell us the
experience
he has, aside from being rejected from one club to another! Is he even a starter in his backyard club now?

That was how they carry Experienced, injured Keshi (blessed memory) to 1994 WC
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

bret- hart wrote:
Lolly wrote:I still believe he gets a lot of unfair criticism from our armchair analysts. The guy still deserves a place in the WC squad ahead of Aina and Idowu. He is still a good player with bags of experience.

Spoken like a true B uhari sycophant. No wonder Nigeria is heading to the abyss.
Another pained IPOBian following me around. I will soon deal with you when I have your time. Go and ask the others.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Time to weed out all the old guard. Nigeria has moved on from them: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/11/20/ah ... oach-puel/
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mcal wrote:...23 man squad means 2 per position with 3 goalies.
If the current 2 left backs falters he will be called in.
Their season is still far out, they will play tough to earn their pay at club, and even tougher to earn a place to play for country, the world cup starts in earnest.
The coach will be watching.
How does the coach observe Echiejile at his club when he rarely sees action there?
...sitting on the bench does not mean 'not-match-fit'. In fact it can be a plus as the player carry no injury. He is tested, and have played for SE before, so it's not like he is newbie.
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

ogasir wrote:Would Elderson have made that overlapping run Idowu made before scoring against Argentina? Anyway the decision is Rohr's to make
Probably not but if we are being honest, age has a lot to do with it. I know this is a topic we don't like to talk about but it is the truth.
yes o
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

We appear to be in a conundrum regarding our full backs. We currently have Shehu Abdullahi, Uwa Echejilie, Ola Aina, Tyronne Ebuehi and Bryan Idowu. And we also have Stanley Amuzie who starred in the 2016 Olympics and started the two games against Egypt in 2016. Aina, Ebuehi and Idowu can play both right and left back. Shehu can play defensive midfield, and in fact plays there regularly for his club. Echiejilie is the most experienced. We can only take a maximum of four of them. Who drops?
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Obong wrote:We appear to be in a conundrum regarding our full backs. We currently have Shehu Abdullahi, Uwa Echejilie, Ola Aina, Tyronne Ebuehi and Bryan Idowu. And we also have Stanley Amuzie who starred in the 2016 Olympics and started the two games against Egypt in 2016. Aina, Ebuehi and Idowu can play both right and left back. Shehu can play defensive midfield, and in fact plays there regularly for his club. Echiejilie is the most experienced. We can only take a maximum of four of them. Who drops?

You are in a conondrum!

Rightback
Tyronne Ebuehi
Shehu Abdullahi

Leftback
Brian Idowu
Ola Aina

Central midfield
Mikel Obi
Wilfred Ndidi
Ogenyi Onazi
Joel Obi

I do not know what more there is to discuss!
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Obong wrote:We appear to be in a conundrum regarding our full backs. We currently have Shehu Abdullahi, Uwa Echejilie, Ola Aina, Tyronne Ebuehi and Bryan Idowu. And we also have Stanley Amuzie who starred in the 2016 Olympics and started the two games against Egypt in 2016. Aina, Ebuehi and Idowu can play both right and left back. Shehu can play defensive midfield, and in fact plays there regularly for his club. Echiejilie is the most experienced. We can only take a maximum of four of them. Who drops?

You are in a conondrum!

Rightback
Tyronne Ebuehi
Shehu Abdullahi

Leftback
Brian Idowu
Ola Aina

Central midfield
Mikel Obi
Wilfred Ndidi
Ogenyi Onazi
Joel Obi

...and so shall it be because Ayo said so :D
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Cito wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

You are in a conondrum!

Rightback
Tyronne Ebuehi
Shehu Abdullahi

Leftback
Brian Idowu
Ola Aina

Central midfield
Mikel Obi
Wilfred Ndidi
Ogenyi Onazi
Joel Obi

Watch this space!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

This experience counts mantra is getting old already, I can understand if it's in the context of a goal keeping position where we might need Enyeama's return, but in the LB the young stalwarts in Idowu and Aina have pretty much sealed the deal... there is nothing exemplary Echejilie(with due respect to his service to Nigeria) brings at this point... experience this experience that, like that saved Italy from elimination with the likes of Buffon...
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Cito wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

You are in a conondrum!

Rightback
Tyronne Ebuehi
Shehu Abdullahi

Leftback
Brian Idowu
Ola Aina

Central midfield
Mikel Obi
Wilfred Ndidi
Ogenyi Onazi
Joel Obi

Watch this space!
If you are wrong?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Cito wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Cito wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

You are in a conondrum!

Rightback
Tyronne Ebuehi
Shehu Abdullahi

Leftback
Brian Idowu
Ola Aina

Central midfield
Mikel Obi
Wilfred Ndidi
Ogenyi Onazi
Joel Obi

Watch this space!
If you are wrong?

Until then. March will soon be upon us. Those two friendlies will reveal all.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Please what has Ola Aina done in the GWG to seal the LB spot? Did we watch the same first half of the game against Argentina?? Where he was caught out of position numerous times with the Argies using his wing to get behind our defence. Ola Aina hasn't been scrutinized, perhaps because we thrashed Argentina. He is not confirmed yet.
The only guy that really impressed me was Ebuehi, hardly put a foot wrong in that game. Idowu needs more time in the SE, nothing is guaranteed yet. If Echiejile's time has come, it's not a bad thing. But this great eagle must be respected and thanked for his service not hounded out of the team. His bad performance against Zambia is overstated, surely we haven't seen the last of him. Competition is a good thing and so is having options.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
jdizzy
Egg
Egg

Post by jdizzy »

The difference in Man City from last season to this year is replacing 4 old fullbacks (Sagna, Kolarov, Clichy & Zabaleta) with younger guns that can fly up and down the pitch. Echejile has served Naija well...will always have my respect but we have better options for Russia
Niente Ÿ impossibile!
Chxta
Egg
Egg

Post by Chxta »

How many games has Echiejile played for Sivaspoor this season? Is he a starter?
Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

felarey wrote:Please what has Ola Aina done in the GWG to seal the LB spot? Did we watch the same first half of the game against Argentina?? Where he was caught out of position numerous times with the Argies using his wing to get behind our defence. Ola Aina hasn't been scrutinized, perhaps because we thrashed Argentina. He is not confirmed yet.
The only guy that really impressed me was Ebuehi, hardly put a foot wrong in that game. Idowu needs more time in the SE, nothing is guaranteed yet. If Echiejile's time has come, it's not a bad thing. But this great eagle must be respected and thanked for his service not hounded out of the team. His bad performance against Zambia is overstated, surely we haven't seen the last of him. Competition is a good thing and so is having options.
Gernot Rohr wants the team to play one match in Abuja before leaving for Russia. Maybe that could be used as a fond farewell for Echiejile, Musa and Akpeyi.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Watching that last radio interview that Rohr gave on youtube, he was praising Elderson for the way he handled the "best player at the Afcon" during the Cameroon matches. It surely won't be easy for Elderson to be cut from the team. He's been observed the longest in competitive situations. So he's the devil that Rohr knows very well.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

greg wrote:Watching that last radio interview that Rohr gave on youtube, he was praising Elderson for the way he handled the "best player at the Afcon" during the Cameroon matches. It surely won't be easy for Elderson to be cut from the team. He's been observed the longest in competitive situations. So he's the devil that Rohr knows very well.
If we let the likes of Chukwu, Odegbami, Yekini, Okocha, Kanu, Yobo, Taribo, etc go, we can find a diplomatic way to do likewise for Echiejile. Maybe a match in his honour with his state governor giving him an award in appreciation of his service.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
felarey wrote:Please what has Ola Aina done in the GWG to seal the LB spot? Did we watch the same first half of the game against Argentina?? Where he was caught out of position numerous times with the Argies using his wing to get behind our defence. Ola Aina hasn't been scrutinized, perhaps because we thrashed Argentina. He is not confirmed yet.
Gernot Rohr wants the team to play one match in Abuja before leaving for Russia. Maybe that could be used as a fond farewell for Echiejile, Musa and Akpeyi.
Farewell to wantonly discard a player that played through the qualifiers for a potential with some second half mins against Zambia and a bad day at the office against top class opposition. If SE had lost that game, CE would be saying Echiejile is still needed. Ola Aina is yet to prove he's international class material that can perform against top players and needs to earn the spot not crowned with it. The jury is still out on Brian Idowu, competent performance, nothing more. Unlike Ebuehi that put up a world class show.

We are not out of the woods yet at left back, lets not over promote players only to dump them when we find out they're not ready. Those March friendlies will come in handy.

I also don't get the constant disrespect of Musa on this forum. He's out of favour at his club at the moment but will likely move soon to another club that will play him. Where was Iwobi earlier this year? What about Iheanacho? Yet they were wonderful against Argentina. Even Musa did well and gave an assist but the ovations seem to have passed him by. Musa is definitely still part of this team. Akpeyi brought his own upon himself, he needs to dig deep and get rid of those nightmare moments.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

felarey wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Farewell to wantonly discard a player that played through the qualifiers for a potential with some second half mins against Zambia and a bad day at the office against top class opposition. If SE had lost that game, CE would be saying Echiejile is still needed. Ola Aina is yet to prove he's international class material that can perform against top players and needs to earn the spot not crowned with it. The jury is still out on Brian Idowu, competent performance, nothing more. Unlike Ebuehi that put up a world class show.

We are not out of the woods yet at left back, lets not over promote players only to dump them when we find out they're not ready. Those March friendlies will come in handy.

I also don't get the constant disrespect of Musa on this forum. He's out of favour at his club at the moment but will likely move soon to another club that will play him. Where was Iwobi earlier this year? What about Iheanacho? Yet they were wonderful against Argentina. Even Musa did well and gave an assist but the ovations seem to have passed him by. Musa is definitely still part of this team. Akpeyi brought his own upon himself, he needs to dig deep and get rid of those nightmare moments.

The fans know what is needed if we are to do well at the World Cup. we cannot afford to be sentimental if we want to excel.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

It will be bad of Nigeria to drop Elderson!! Yes give him someone to challenge him but to drop him!! That is plain wrong...
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8