Barcelona targets Nigerian star Henry Onyekuru

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Barcelona targets Nigerian star Henry Onyekuru

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

FC Barcelona scouts were at Stade Le Canonnier to observe Nigerian star, Henry Onyekuru, who scored his seventh league goal of the season in Anderlecht’s away win at Royal Excel Mouscron.

Onyekuru scored Anderlecht’s winner after Govea had brought the home side back on level terms following Bruno’s opener for the guest.

According to Het Laatste Nieuws, a Belgian news outlet, Barcelona, Fiorentina, Ajax, and PSV all had their scouts in attendance at the game.

Premier League giants Manchester United, Southampton and Stoke City are likewise believed to have sent their scout to monitor the stars on parade as the Everton loanee stole the show in the last ten minutes of the game.

Meanwhile, Anderlecht’s triumph means Onyekuru’s side, who have now played one game more than the league pioneers, Club Brugge, sits third in the 16-team table with 28 points after 15 games.

http://dailypost.ng/2017/11/19/barcelon ... -onyekuru/
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg
Re: Barcelona targets Nigerian star Henry Onyekuru

Post by Goldleaf »

Ayo Akinfe's love for Henry Onyekuru is about to surpass his love for Juwon Oshaniwa who never made the ranks or hit the big time. Onyekuru has proved to be big fish, little pond so far and he does not strike me as one that wants to improve.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Honestly, I'm astounded that some Nigerians and Rohr can not see amazing and awesome skill of this boy. The commentators in Algeria were heaping plethora of adulations on him before he even took the field. There is no question about it the boy is definitely a gem and a world class star in making. Honestly I wish he switches alliance to Belgium , This is quintessential case of prophet not recognized in his own country
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

bully12 wrote:Honestly, I'm astounded that some Nigerians and Rohr can not see amazing and awesome skill of this boy. The commentators in Algeria were heaping plethora of adulations on him before he even took the field. There is no question about it the boy is definitely a gem and a world class star in making. Honestly I wish he switches alliance to Belgium , This is quintessential case of prophet not recognized in his own country
Any human with a brain knows onyekuru deserves to play regularly for SE, those folks saying otherwise are either super daft or super dishonest.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

I think it’s great idea to drop all our goal scoring experienced players for this guy who has 3 caps zero goals and zero assists. His whole body of work comes by way of having only scored in the Belgium league zero goals in the champions league where the standard is slightly higher than Belgium but that doesn’t matter. Let’s drop them and feature this guy because we know he is better than Moses, Iwobi, Nacho,Musa,Ighalo, Simon and Musa. When we went down this road before we were very successful our better replacements scored the grand total of zero goals at the last world!!! To hell with it lets get this guy Awoniyi, Victor and any greenhorn out there to take the place of of our established forwards. That is how Germany, Brazil ,Spain ,France all won the World Cup why should we be different. Do we have two heads???? I can’t understand Rohr oh this bobo should start no matter what even if he doesn’t score or provide an assist or help recover because we the fans what to see sparkling players that look good on the ball but no end product. We want to see flicks step overs and nearly scored goals. Enough with all these junk players that have won cups, leagues titles have champions league Europa cUp experience are battle hardened from the qualifiers.......enough is enough
Last edited by Flex Swift on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Flex Swift wrote:I think it’s great idea to drop all our goal scoring experienced players for this guy who has 3 caps zero goals and zero assists. His whole body of work comes by way of having only scored in the Belgium league zero goals in the champions league where the standard is slightly higher than Belgium but that doesn’t matter. Let’s drop them and feature this guy because we know he is better than Moses, Iwobi, Nacho,Musa,Ighalo, Simon and Musa. When we went down this road before we were very successful our better replacements scored the grand total of zero goals at the last world!!! To hell with it lets get this guy Awoniyi, Victor and any greenhorn out there to take the place of of our established forwards
We all know iwobi, Victor Moses, iheanacho and ighalo are untouchable in SE, onyekuru should be added to support them, simple and plain. Onyekuru is surely currently better than Musa and Simon, facts no feelings
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

bully12 wrote:Honestly, I'm astounded that some Nigerians and Rohr can not see amazing and awesome skill of this boy. The commentators in Algeria were heaping plethora of adulations on him before he even took the field. There is no question about it the boy is definitely a gem and a world class star in making. Honestly I wish he switches alliance to Belgium , This is quintessential case of prophet not recognized in his own country
He can no longer play for Belgium as he has featured in a compatible game for Nigeria. Remember the Algeria match was a World Cup qualifier.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

9jaMan wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:I think it’s great idea to drop all our goal scoring experienced players for this guy who has 3 caps zero goals and zero assists. His whole body of work comes by way of having only scored in the Belgium league zero goals in the champions league where the standard is slightly higher than Belgium but that doesn’t matter. Let’s drop them and feature this guy because we know he is better than Moses, Iwobi, Nacho,Musa,Ighalo, Simon and Musa. When we went down this road before we were very successful our better replacements scored the grand total of zero goals at the last world!!! To hell with it lets get this guy Awoniyi, Victor and any greenhorn out there to take the place of of our established forwards
We all know iwobi, Victor Moses, iheanacho and ighalo are untouchable in SE, onyekuru should be added to support them, simple and plain. Onyekuru is surely currently better than Musa and Simon, facts no feelings
The boy is 19 years old he hasn’t won anything at any level he hasn’t even scored in the champions league why is he better than Musa and Simon? What is your criteria for being better?
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

I haven't seen enough to rant about the boy. Yes, he has been playing well however, we have to temper that against the level and quality of the opposition he has played against. The way some rave about him might lead others to think he was some kind of Messi which he simply is not. He is a player whose potential is very promising at best.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

DIMKA76 wrote:I haven't seen enough to rant about the boy. Yes, he has been playing well however, we have to temper that against the level and quality of the opposition he has played against. The way some rave about him might lead others to think he was some kind of Messi which he simply is not. He is a player whose potential is very promising at best.
Does opposition get any tougher than PSG?
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Flex Swift wrote:
9jaMan wrote:
The boy is 19 years old he hasn’t won anything at any level he hasn’t even scored in the champions league why is he better than Musa and Simon? What is your criteria for being better?
Sadly, I can't teach you how to recognize talent, however onyekuru is currently better than Musa and Simon on the basis of form, football intelligence, football skills, goal per game ratio, dribbles completed, crosses completed, and general team play.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:I haven't seen enough to rant about the boy. Yes, he has been playing well however, we have to temper that against the level and quality of the opposition he has played against. The way some rave about him might lead others to think he was some kind of Messi which he simply is not. He is a player whose potential is very promising at best.
Does opposition get any tougher than PSG?
Did he score against PSG??? Has even scored any champions league goal yet? It is one thing scoring against no name defenders in Belgium but he has to score for Nigeria when given the chance then we can make noise about him.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Onyekuru is to Nigeria what Anthony Martial is to France and Marcus Rushford is to England. Just like Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen who burst ion to the scene in major tournaments, I can see all three of them being the main men for their teams come the World Cup.

Barcelona join the race for Everton loanee Henry Onyekuru as they send scouts to watch him - See more at: https://goo.gl/SRwcgi

All these clubs are not stupid to be sending scouts to watch him. Ask yourselves why they are not watching Musa, Simon, Echiejile, Ezenwa or Akpeyi.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

How many times have we heard stories about big clubs were after one of our players? Let’s wait and see if he signs for Barcelona let wait and see if he returns to Everton in Jan.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

9jaMan wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:
9jaMan wrote:
Sadly, I can't teach you how to recognize talent, however onyekuru is currently better than Musa and Simon on the basis of form, football intelligence, football skills, goal per game ratio, dribbles completed, crosses completed, and general team play.
Everything you have listed boils down to one word subjective! It is your subjective opinion that he is better than the players mentioned you have not real criteria to determine which player is better. Your boy played against Algeria didn’t score and didn’t provide and assist. Musa played against Argentina didn’t score but provided an assist. I know as fan what I prefer my players to do.
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Flex Swift wrote:
9jaMan wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:
9jaMan wrote:
Everything you have listed boils down to one word subjective! It is your subjective opinion that he is better than the players mentioned you have not real criteria to determine which player is better. Your boy played against Algeria didn’t score and didn’t provide and assist. Musa played against Argentina didn’t score but provided an assist. I know as fan what I prefer my players to do.

Everything i listed is based on facts, do your research, btw anybody could have passed that ball to iwobi for the goal, no one is saying Musa cannot kick a ball. But onyekuru offers more
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

My squad:

*****************************Ighalo******************************

***************Onyekuru****************Moses********************

******************************Nwakali****************************

******************Mikel*******************Ndidi*******************

***Idowu************Balogun************Ekong************Ebuehi***

********************************Uzoho****************************

Aiyenugba
Alampasu/Ajiboye
Abdullahi
Aina
Awaziem
Omeruo
Onazi
Joel/Etebo
Iwobi
Kayode/Awoniyi/Osinhem
Iheanacho
Nwakaeme/Bazee/Dessers
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Flex Swift wrote:I think it’s great idea to drop all our goal scoring experienced players for this guy who has 3 caps zero goals and zero assists. His whole body of work comes by way of having only scored in the Belgium league zero goals in the champions league where the standard is slightly higher than Belgium but that doesn’t matter. Let’s drop them and feature this guy because we know he is better than Moses, Iwobi, Nacho,Musa,Ighalo, Simon and Musa. When we went down this road before we were very successful our better replacements scored the grand total of zero goals at the last world!!! To hell with it lets get this guy Awoniyi, Victor and any greenhorn out there to take the place of of our established forwards. That is how Germany, Brazil ,Spain ,France all won the World Cup why should we be different. Do we have two heads???? I can’t understand Rohr oh this bobo should start no matter what even if he doesn’t score or provide an assist or help recover because we the fans what to see sparkling players that look good on the ball but no end product. We want to see flicks step overs and nearly scored goals. Enough with all these junk players that have won cups, leagues titles have champions league Europa cUp experience are battle hardened from the qualifiers.......enough is enough
Rohr, who knows better than you has said he needs to strenghten the team. And I am sure Onyekuru would be on the plane to Russia. You dont go to a war with injured and incapacitated soldiers. You go with your best!
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:I think it’s great idea to drop all our goal scoring experienced players for this guy who has 3 caps zero goals and zero assists. His whole body of work comes by way of having only scored in the Belgium league zero goals in the champions league where the standard is slightly higher than Belgium but that doesn’t matter. Let’s drop them and feature this guy because we know he is better than Moses, Iwobi, Nacho,Musa,Ighalo, Simon and Musa. When we went down this road before we were very successful our better replacements scored the grand total of zero goals at the last world!!! To hell with it lets get this guy Awoniyi, Victor and any greenhorn out there to take the place of of our established forwards. That is how Germany, Brazil ,Spain ,France all won the World Cup why should we be different. Do we have two heads???? I can’t understand Rohr oh this bobo should start no matter what even if he doesn’t score or provide an assist or help recover because we the fans what to see sparkling players that look good on the ball but no end product. We want to see flicks step overs and nearly scored goals. Enough with all these junk players that have won cups, leagues titles have champions league Europa cUp experience are battle hardened from the qualifiers.......enough is enough
Rohr, who knows better than you has said he needs to strenghten the team. And I am sure Onyekuru would be on the plane to Russia. You dont go to a war with injured and incapacitated soldiers. You go with your best!
Spoken like a real expert!!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Still waiting for PSG to fulfill their promise to another of our Belgium based 'stars' before I can turn my attention to this one.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Sheikh
Egg
Egg

Post by Sheikh »

9jaMan wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:
9jaMan wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Everything i listed is based on facts, do your research, btw anybody could have passed that ball to iwobi for the goal, no one is saying Musa cannot kick a ball. But onyekuru offers more
If I may add my little two cents. I doubt the quality of the Belgian league, and think it is not a very good barometer to assess the quality level of a player. However, the football market seems to think Onyekuru has potential and, certainly based on his pricing, rate him higher that Simon Moses who is in the same Belgian league and has been having an extended run in SE for a while. I therefore think that the coach should give him the chance in a friendly against quality opposition, to better assess him much in the same way Nwakaeme was given a chance. At least now we can see that Nwakaeme may not make the mark. Onyekuru deserves the same chance. I also think Joel Obi deserves a chance, as we may need a substitute for Mikel (re experience in midfield, position etc).
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:My squad:

*****************************Ighalo******************************

***************Onyekuru****************Moses********************

******************************Nwakali****************************

******************Mikel*******************Ndidi*******************

***Idowu************Balogun************Ekong************Ebuehi***

********************************Uzoho****************************

Aiyenugba
Alampasu/Ajiboye
Abdullahi
Aina
Awaziem
Omeruo
Onazi
Joel/Etebo
Iwobi
Kayode/Awoniyi/Osinhem
Iheanacho
Nwakaeme/Bazee/Dessers
1. Ighalo would not make my 23. But he should competer with Onuachi, Awoniyi, Nwakaeme, Sadiq (if he plays regualrly) for that one power striker position.
2. Kayode, Dessers should compete for the other striker spot (they bring somethign different from the other power strikers)
3. Ill start Aiyenugba ahead of Uzoho
4. The competition is between Joel and Nwakali for the one midfield spot.
5.Please let Nwakali start playing regular dutch footie like Ebuehi and Ahmed Musa before him in Venlo.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Sheikh wrote:
9jaMan wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:
9jaMan wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

If I may add my little two cents. I doubt the quality of the Belgian league, and think it is not a very good barometer to assess the quality level of a player. However, the football market seems to think Onyekuru has potential and, certainly based on his pricing, rate him higher that Simon Moses who is in the same Belgian league and has been having an extended run in SE for a while. I therefore think that the coach should give him the chance in a friendly against quality opposition, to better assess him much in the same way Nwakaeme was given a chance. At least now we can see that Nwakaeme may not make the mark. Onyekuru deserves the same chance. I also think Joel Obi deserves a chance, as we may need a substitute for Mikel (re experience in midfield, position etc).

Are you suggesting that Rohr hasn't given him a chance....?
Last edited by Mr Shows on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.