Gernot Rohr appoints Agali as his scout ahead of World Cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Gernot Rohr appoints Agali as his scout ahead of World Cup

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/11/20/ro ... -cup-2018/

Coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr has appointed former Super Eagles striker Victor Agali is one of the scout of the Nigerian team ahead of their campaign at the World Cup in Russia next year.

Rohr confirmed the appointment of Agali in an interview with a French based radio station while discussing his plans for the World Cup with Nigeria after their 4-2 win over Argentina.

The coach didn’t mention the specific area Agali will help him in scouting but it’s for now looks like he will lead the search for a top striker as back up to present first choice forward Odion Ighalo.

Agali and Rohr have known each other for a while and the coach who got to meet him during his days in Germany when he played for Hansa Rostock and also Schalke 04 before moving to France to join Nice.

It was at French Ligue 1 side Nice that Agali worked under the tutelage of Rohr and since then they have maintained their relationship with Rohr watching his team AS Racine in a Nigeria National League game last season.

38 years old Agali retired with12 caps for Nigeria, bu‎t many will remember him for his sterling performance for the Nigeria U23 at the 2000 Olympic games in Sydney.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Gernot Rohr appoints Agali as his scout ahead of World C

Post by truetalk »

Saw him in Uyo before the SA game.

I guess he was there for business.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Any news on owngoal must be verified before believable
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/11/20/ro ... -cup-2018/

Coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr has appointed former Super Eagles striker Victor Agali is one of the scout of the Nigerian team ahead of their campaign at the World Cup in Russia next year.

Rohr confirmed the appointment of Agali in an interview with a French based radio station while discussing his plans for the World Cup with Nigeria after their 4-2 win over Argentina.
The coach didn’t mention the specific area Agali will help him in scouting but it’s for now looks like he will lead the search for a top striker as back up to present first choice forward Odion Ighalo.
Agali and Rohr have known each other for a while and the coach who got to meet him during his days in Germany when he played for Hansa Rostock and also Schalke 04 before moving to France to join Nice.

It was at French Ligue 1 side Nice that Agali worked under the tutelage of Rohr and since then they have maintained their relationship with Rohr watching his team AS Racine in a Nigeria National League game last season.

38 years old Agali retired with12 caps for Nigeria, bu‎t many will remember him for his sterling performance for the Nigeria U23 at the 2000 Olympic games in Sydney.
If Rohr did not say what Agali will be scouting for how did Owngoal manage to arrive at this conclusion? And do not tell me its because Agali was a striker so that means he will be scouting for strikers.
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

truetalk wrote:Saw him in Uyo before the SA game.

Hammering business?! :D

Anyway, Agali's day job is coach of NNL side AS Rancine.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Ikpereman pointed him out to me while we were watching SE practice ahead of Algeria game.

Also saw him during the Zambia buildup.

As you know, 90 % of business is personal!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D :D

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Gotti wrote:

Hammering, as in the infamous Room XYZ during the ANC in Tunisia?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Just been posted on Owngoal that Joel Obi will get a call up for the march friendly ...
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Ayo hope you can see that Rohr knows what he is doing ..
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Gotti wrote:

I guess it is a good hire then. Someone he has known for a long time, trusts and who has a first hand view and knowledge of the game at the grassroots level. Imagine someone like AyoAkinfe scouting for Rohr!

Anyway, Agali's impact might be minimal before the World Cup, as I believe the team is largely set with the emergence of Idowu and Aina at LB. The thought of Echiejile going up against a right winger of any decent quality was giving me nightmares (a contrary thought, while not wishing him ill-luck, was that he has picked up an injury before or during virtually every major tournament he has been selected for, WC 2010, 2014 & CAN 2013).

The only other question of course is at GK. I know there are better keepers at home than some of those that have been in camp. Rohr himself admitted that he is selecting Akpeyi because he feels he plays in a 'better' league that the Nigerian league. Better funding and facilities maybe, but not necessarily better level, and Akpeyi is certainly not better than many goalkeepers in the domestic league, including some of those in this video.
[/video]

I'm not too worried though, Rohr, though conservative has tended to drop poor players and stuck with quality players. Some here actually thought Musa Mohammed was a bonafide option at Right Back! That is also why I think Akpeyi and Echiejile might be toast.

Godwilling, I will go to Agege Stadium a lot next year to see the NNL (including AS Racine), NPFL, and of course continental football with MFM. Maybe we can add a GK or two to the competent pool that I believe to include David Nwolokor, Francis Uzoho, Femi Thomas and Ikehukwu Ezenwa. By some miracle, if Ikeme recovers, that would be great. Vince should also welcome to camp to compete, and should get a shirt if he proves to be one of the top 3.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Hammering, as in the infamous Room XYZ during the ANC in Tunisia?
Those 3 boys (Yakubu, Agali, Celeparty) hurt our chances in that Nation's Cup as they were starters. We were still the strongest team without them and Tunisia needed a fake penalty and penalty kicks to knock us out in the Semis.
I think this also affected our qualification for the 2006 WC, as I don't think Cele and Agali really got integrated back into the team.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

truetalk wrote:
Gotti wrote:

I guess it is a good hire then. Someone he has known for a long time, trusts and who has a first hand view and knowledge of the game at the grassroots level. Imagine someone like AyoAkinfe scouting for Rohr!

Anyway, Agali's impact might be minimal before the World Cup, as I believe the team is largely set with the emergence of Idowu and Aina at LB. The thought of Echiejile going up against a right winger of any decent quality was giving me nightmares (a contrary thought, while not wishing him ill-luck, was that he has picked up an injury before or during virtually every major tournament he has been selected for, WC 2010, 2014 & CAN 2013).

The only other question of course is at GK. I know there are better keepers at home than some of those that have been in camp. Rohr himself admitted that he is selecting Akpeyi because he feels he plays in a 'better' league that the Nigerian league. Better funding and facilities maybe, but not necessarily better level, and Akpeyi is certainly not better than many goalkeepers in the domestic league, including some of those in this video.
[/video]

I'm not too worried though, Rohr, though conservative has tended to drop poor players and stuck with quality players. Some here actually thought Musa Mohammed was a bonafide option at Right Back! That is also why I think Akpeyi and Echiejile might be toast.

Godwilling, I will go to Agege Stadium a lot next year to see the NNL (including AS Racine), NPFL, and of course continental football with MFM. Maybe we can add a GK or two to the competent pool that I believe to include David Nwolokor, Francis Uzoho, Femi Thomas and Ikehukwu Ezenwa. By some miracle, if Ikeme recovers, that would be great. Vince should also welcome to camp to compete, and should get a shirt if he proves to be one of the top 3.

Akpeyi was among the best in the Nigerian league when he was there. The reality is that majority of the goalkeepers in Nigeria are not up to scratch (in terms of being internationals).