Joel Obi to get recalled for two March friendlies

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Re: Joel Obi to get recalled for two March friendlies

Post by Otitokoro »

Or you mean 'your team'? (i.e. the one you have worked tirelessly in trying to super impose on everyone that cares to listen?
Speak for yourself, bro.
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Our team is gradually taking shape. We now look like a squad that is actually going to compete rather than just participate. The team that featured in the qualifiers was a right joke and would have been home after three games.

Just to put things into perspective, consider the team that qualified as a Division Two side that needed roughty toughly fighters to gain promotion. Now we are in the Premier League, the squad has had to be significantly upgraded with quality as the challenges are totally different.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Enugu II wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Joel Obi will be in the Super Eagles squad when they regroup next year for two high profile games in the month of March next year as part of their preparations for the World Cup in Russia.

Obi who has caught the eyes of coach Gernot Rohr with his scintillating performances for Torino this season after overcoming the numerous injuries which has slowed down his career in recent times.

The midfielder has so far scored two Serie A goals with two assists to his name, a form which has earned him a recall to the team he last played for three years ago.

Owngoalnigeria.com gathered that Rohr has been largely impressed with his abilities to dictate play from deep, and also the fact that he is ever present for the team in the Serie A as long as he is fit.

His invitation will increase the options available to Rohr in midfield, one area where the team are well stocked but also need options to key players particularly Wilfred Ndidi.
Let's hope he is fit around the time of call up.
More importantly fit around the time of the world cup proper. :)
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

theYemster wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Joel Obi will be in the Super Eagles squad when they regroup next year for two high profile games in the month of March next year as part of their preparations for the World Cup in Russia.

Obi who has caught the eyes of coach Gernot Rohr with his scintillating performances for Torino this season after overcoming the numerous injuries which has slowed down his career in recent times.

The midfielder has so far scored two Serie A goals with two assists to his name, a form which has earned him a recall to the team he last played for three years ago.

Owngoalnigeria.com gathered that Rohr has been largely impressed with his abilities to dictate play from deep, and also the fact that he is ever present for the team in the Serie A as long as he is fit.

His invitation will increase the options available to Rohr in midfield, one area where the team are well stocked but also need options to key players particularly Wilfred Ndidi.
Just like Sicknote Darren Anderton of Spurs, who used to miss most of the season through injury but gets fit in time to make England squads for WCs and European Championships. :lol:
I am happy
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Our team is gradually taking shape. We now look like a squad that is actually going to compete rather than just participate. The team that featured in the qualifiers was a right joke and would have been home after three games.

Just to put things into perspective, consider the team that qualified as a Division Two side that needed roughty toughly fighters to gain promotion. Now we are in the Premier League, the squad has had to be significantly upgraded with quality as the challenges are totally different.
I 100% rightly agree with you on this and your analogy is perfect. FOr me, Ighalo and SImon Moses are not good enough. While Onazi is very good, we need a central midfielder that would bring serious attacking bite or creativity, help maintain possession to the team. Hence I would prefer Joel Obi or Etebo in that Central MIdfield Spot.

I see Joel Obi taking Fake Mikel or Ogu's spot while Onazi would be left to hustle the DM position with Ndidi.

Now, we need Esiti to be given another look in and Kelechi Nwakali to start playing regularly at Venlo.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

chief nfachairman wrote:

I 100% rightly agree with you on this and your analogy is perfect. FOr me, Ighalo and SImon Moses are not good enough. While Onazi is very good, we need a central midfielder that would bring serious attacking bite or creativity, help maintain possession to the team. Hence I would prefer Joel Obi or Etebo in that Central MIdfield Spot.

I see Joel Obi taking Fake Mikel or Ogu's spot while Onazi would be left to hustle the DM position with Ndidi.

Now, we need Esiti to be given another look in and Kelechi Nwakali to start playing regularly at Venlo.
There has always been a precedent of one or more players who have participated in WCQs being dropped for better players that emerge. In 1994, Nduka Ugbade and Isaac Semitoje, who had played most of the qualifiers including the crucial game in Algiers and a member of the CAN 94 winning squad was dropped. In 2002, the players dropped were mostly due to non football related reasons. In 2010, Seyi Olofinjana and Obinna Nwaneri were dropped despite playing regularly in the WCQs and CAN2010. In 2014, the likes of Ideye, Ogu, Ogude etc were dropped despite featuring prominently in the WCQs. I believe in 2018, the likes of Moses Simon (If Bazee lives up to the hype), Agu, Ogu (If Joel Obi is recalled) may be in danger of finding themselves in a similar situation.
I am happy
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

mystic wrote:

Kindly shut up!
How can he when there is an opportunity to make money and collect golden handshake. For all you know, the bobo is introducing himself as the CE Scout :tic:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

It will be good if he remains fit until March and I hope this is even true as Obi will be a great edition to the squad.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

chief nfachairman wrote:

I think Ighalo will deliver the goods!
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

I doubt he can. He has never delivered the goods on a high level except for 4months in the EPL and he got found out. He is good, but not good enough.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

I doubt he can. He has never delivered the goods on a high level except for 4months in the EPL and he got found out. He is good, but not good enough.
I look forward to seeing your line-up. For me, Ighalo earned his spot with the way he played against Cameroon over both legs.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

I think this sums it up perfectly.
Having said that, he is the best we've got at the moment.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Damunk wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

I think this sums it up perfectly.
Having said that, he is the best we've got at the moment.

It would be nice to have a Luis Suarez, Jesus Gabriel, Cristiano Ronaldo, Harry Kane, Lionel Messi, etc leading our line but hey, when the wanted is not available, the available becomes wanted. Ighalo is the best we have for now ooooo.

Show me a better targetman and I am all for using him. So far, neither Awoniyi, Osinhem or Kayode have proved they can hold the ball up better.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Not sure about this one. He is Nigeria's answer to Owen Hargreaves or Phil Jones. Good player but his body seems to be made of glass.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

:clap: :clap: :thumb:

lord please let him stay healthy. He would be an incredible addition to our squad.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Looking that ayo works for owngoal I definitely believe that this news was orchestrated by Ayo Akinfe. It’s pribab false
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The only thing I will say about this story is that it is too early and thus it cannot amount to any certainty. Perhaps, there has been a discussion of players deserving invitation in march and Joel's name was mentioned. It cannot be anything more than such ordinary speculation. After all the list will not be ready till close to the window when the coach has an idea of who is and who is not available. Just my tuppence.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dammy wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Just like Sicknote Darren Anderton of Spurs, who used to miss most of the season through injury but gets fit in time to make England squads for WCs and European Championships. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Enugu II wrote:The only thing I will say about this story is that it is too early and thus it cannot amount to any certainty. Perhaps, there has been a discussion of players deserving invitation in march and Joel's name was mentioned. It cannot be anything more than such ordinary speculation. After all the list will not be ready till close to the window when the coach has an idea of who is and who is not available. Just my tuppence.
True. I suspect he is just on Rohr’s radar like say Akpoguma and Uduokhai. We will not know the list until the first week of March at the earliest.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

He has the ability but he lost form and with that his confidence but for Nigeria he seems to found it.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Joel Obi staying injury-free till next summer is much more questionable than him named in the final SE squad of 23. Even he will not challenge that based on his history.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

He has the ability but he lost form and with that his confidence but for Nigeria he seems to found it.
I look forward to seeing what form he is in come March.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

chief nfachairman wrote:

untrained bigot! I see you are still trying to sell players with your ugly teeth! :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:5 months before the game? :shock:
OwnGoal :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley