Joel Obi to get recalled for two March friendlies

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Joel Obi to get recalled for two March friendlies

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Joel Obi will be in the Super Eagles squad when they regroup next year for two high profile games in the month of March next year as part of their preparations for the World Cup in Russia.

Obi who has caught the eyes of coach Gernot Rohr with his scintillating performances for Torino this season after overcoming the numerous injuries which has slowed down his career in recent times.

The midfielder has so far scored two Serie A goals with two assists to his name, a form which has earned him a recall to the team he last played for three years ago.

Owngoalnigeria.com gathered that Rohr has been largely impressed with his abilities to dictate play from deep, and also the fact that he is ever present for the team in the Serie A as long as he is fit.

His invitation will increase the options available to Rohr in midfield, one area where the team are well stocked but also need options to key players particularly Wilfred Ndidi.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/11/20/ro ... dly-games/
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Joel Obi to get recalled for two March friendlies

Post by Enugu II »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Joel Obi will be in the Super Eagles squad when they regroup next year for two high profile games in the month of March next year as part of their preparations for the World Cup in Russia.

Obi who has caught the eyes of coach Gernot Rohr with his scintillating performances for Torino this season after overcoming the numerous injuries which has slowed down his career in recent times.

The midfielder has so far scored two Serie A goals with two assists to his name, a form which has earned him a recall to the team he last played for three years ago.

Owngoalnigeria.com gathered that Rohr has been largely impressed with his abilities to dictate play from deep, and also the fact that he is ever present for the team in the Serie A as long as he is fit.

His invitation will increase the options available to Rohr in midfield, one area where the team are well stocked but also need options to key players particularly Wilfred Ndidi.
Let's hope he is fit around the time of call up.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Hope you will chill out now and let Rohr get on with selectong his players in peace. As you can see, he knows what he is doing..
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Our team is gradually taking shape. We now look like a squad that is actually going to compete rather than just participate. The team that featured in the qualifiers was a right joke and would have been home after three games.

Just to put things into perspective, consider the team that qualified as a Division Two side that needed roughty toughly fighters to gain promotion. Now we are in the Premier League, the squad has had to be significantly upgraded with quality as the challenges are totally different.
Last edited by Ayo Akinfe on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

5 months before the game? :shock:
OCCUPY NFF!!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Our team is gradually taking shape. We now look like a squad that is actually going to compete rather than just participate. The team that featured in the qualifiers was a right joke and would have been home after three days.

Just to put things into perspective, consider the team that qualified as a Division Two side that needed roughty toughly fighters to gain promotion. Now we are in the Premier League, the squad has had to be significantly upgraded with quality as the challenges are totally different.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The extent you’ll go to claim either credit or vindication...
The team has taken shape slowly and there hasn’t been some sudden jump from Div2 to Prem because Idowu and Ebuehi got a game and Joel Obi an invite. Saying these things just degrades you. You’re better than that.
Indeed, the team that spanked Cameroon 4-0 hasn’t gotten significantly better yet.
We’re making progress, but not in the way you characterise it. And I think deep down inside, you know this.
At least I hope you do.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Our team is gradually taking shape. We now look like a squad that is actually going to compete rather than just participate. The team that featured in the qualifiers was a right joke and would have been home after three days.

Calm down Ayo. I believe we all know Joel belongs in the Eagles. He is probably the only one out there really absent and for good reasons...injuries. At least he is Nigerian and committed to Nigeria unlike the Germans you put in your line ups
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

A team that qualified unbeaten :dream: ... And just spanked Argentina with its 2nd string :blink: . You keep turning a deaf ear to the fact that Rohr has said it time and time again that he is still looking for players to strengthen the team and the team is 'still work in progress'. You keep ranting on as if Rohr has already named his squad bound for Russia. His scouting network is one step ahead of you, I'll glad to see a thread where you mentioned Bryan Idowu and Ebuehi before brought into the mix. Joel who you are raving about has just come off the back of multiple injury lay off.

Just settle yourself down. There are still going to be more +/- to the squad before June. Rohr already has a plan.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

[/video]

Listen to what Rohr has been saying since day one
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

[/video]
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

[/video]

He has been consistent in his talk about strengthening the team..
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I am not surprised, a fit Joel Obi is a must for the SE. He is really playing well this season. Any new player not invited for the March friendlies, should forget about the WC as I believe the remaining friendlies will be used for tactics and cohesion.
I am happy
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Our team is gradually taking shape. We now look like a squad that is actually going to compete rather than just participate. The team that featured in the qualifiers was a right joke and would have been home after three games.

Kindly shut up!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Dammy wrote:I am not surprised, a fit Joel Obi is a must for the SE. He is really playing well this season. Any new player not invited for the March friendlies, should forget about the WC as I believe the remaining friendlies will be used for tactics and cohesion.

I really hope that he's able to stay fit. He would be a key addition.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

One friendly and one Afcon qualifier.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

ohenhen1 wrote:One friendly and one Afcon qualifier.

The Afcon qualifier has been rescheduled. We will be playing 2 friendlies in March.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

mystic wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:One friendly and one Afcon qualifier.

The Afcon qualifier has been rescheduled. We will be playing 2 friendlies in March.
FIFA website is still showing an AFCON qualifier game against Seychelles in March 2018.

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Ayo a joke, really? SE is a solid NT that has cohesion. The team's been playing together yet for a while and that has to count for something
I don't see too many changes to the squad. Maybe goalie and CF spot but that's about it

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Our team is gradually taking shape. We now look like a squad that is actually going to compete rather than just participate. The team that featured in the qualifiers was a right joke and would have been home after three games.

Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

YUJAM wrote:Ayo a joke, really? SE is a solid NT that has cohesion. The team's been playing together yet for a while and that has to count for something
I don't see too many changes to the squad. Maybe goalie and CF spot but that's about it

We just need to work on defending and to get a goalkeeper. Depth is also an issue. I agree I don't see the coach making many changes. You start building your WC squad 4 years ago, not 7 months before the tournament.

Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Can Joel Obi survive the WC tournament without getting injured?
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Cmoke wrote:Can Joel Obi survive the WC tournament without getting injured?

That's the question.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

This ayo guy is very disrespectful. By calling a team that qualified from the group of death unbeaten while simultaneously playing attractive football a joke because your favorite players were not called is quite classless. Nigerians sometimes can never be satisfied WTF but at least respect coaches for their accomplishments
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

mystic wrote:
Cmoke wrote:Can Joel Obi survive the WC tournament without getting injured?

That's the question.
Will he still be fit and in form in March, I think thats the first question before we even think of WC.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!