Look at how Mikel and Iwobi were playing with children

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Look at how Mikel and Iwobi were playing with children

Post by green4life »

wiseone wrote:Strange that. Since Mikel did an interview earlier this week stating that Keane was his mentor and "bodyguard" when he did his trials at Man Utd (while Scholes and the Neville Brothers were trying to kick lumps out of him). Would be strange if SAF had planned to sign a teenager to replace his inspirational veteran captain.

green4life wrote: This is a bunch of bull. Especially the part about ManU guaranteeing him success as an AM. ... Fergie's plan was for Mikel to replace Roy Keane who played ..... (one hint: Not AM) :lol:
The key word in your response is "veteran". Keane wasn't getting younger and Mikel at the time was 18yrs old. Given the pace of the league and how Fergie liked to set up his team, that is the main player that he would've replaced. The fact that Carrick for the Keane role susbsequently arrived further supports my angle - see the quote below from UK Guardian in 2006:
United will hope as much having missed out on Michael Essien, Mahamadou Diarra and John Obi Mikel as they sought a replacement for Keane. Strengthening remains a priority even after Carrick's arrival, however, with the void left by Ruud van Nistelrooy's £10.3m sale still to be plugged. https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ory.sport2

In any event, Mikel still won every trophy possible domestically and in Europe so he didn't miss anything.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

kajifu wrote:Can someone name me any team you g to the world cup that Mikel will not walk in and start?
I think Mikel is the few players going to world cup that will start in any team in Russsia.
Good think likes of Iwobi will also walk into almost any world cup team and start.So why will this team not think of going to win the dam world cup?
Who would Mikel bench in the German midfield?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

metalalloy wrote:
kajifu wrote:Can someone name me any team you g to the world cup that Mikel will not walk in and start?
I think Mikel is the few players going to world cup that will start in any team in Russsia.
Good think likes of Iwobi will also walk into almost any world cup team and start.So why will this team not think of going to win the dam world cup?
CAN
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
jette1 wrote:it is safe to say Mikel is the greatest Nigerian to ever play the game
Another one? :roll:
Until you can disprove it then there is no one above him per accomplishment on world stage
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

jette1 wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
jette1 wrote:it is safe to say Mikel is the greatest Nigerian to ever play the game
Until you can disprove it then there is no one above him per accomplishment on world stage
It's for you to prove, not for me to disprove.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
CAN
So he would bench someone who starts from the bench...
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

ogasir wrote:Obi Mikel will be missed when he retires. The SE will miss him more than Okocha after he retired
Hopefully Nwakali can step up to the plate.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
CAN
Hmmm, abeg let's stop this, no single top World Cup team is fielding anybody from China.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Argentina have suffered :taunt:

Mikel was in this one too

[/video]
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I don't rate that 4-1 victory, that Argentinian side was significantly under strength.

I rate the 4-2 win as our first real win against Argentina.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

A note of caution....At the last Confederations cup, I saw a lot of impressive play from our boys. (Remember the famous "Run my Race")

When we got to the WC, all the fancy play seemed to evaporate...like it was a different team. Beware of reading too much into displays in exhibition games....there were points during the Argentina game where the pace from both teams was pretty pedestrian. You won't see a lot of that at the WC
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

maceo4 wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
CAN
Hmmm, abeg let's stop this, no single top World Cup team is fielding anybody from China.
Brazil have a player in China, Augusto, I think that is his name.
I am happy
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Dammy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
CAN
Oscar might still be there too, not sure.... it's not a league I follow.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Dammy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
CAN
Oscar might still be there too, not sure.... it's not a league I follow.
But you see how much you guys are struggling to name them, and the current Brazil is not even that strong. Lets just appreciate what we have, we don't need other countries to validate what we got. But let Mikel go out there and show them how good he is. He didn't do it at the last WC, he needs to show his current form on the world stage as Onazi outplayed him at the last one.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

He was playing like this while he was at Chelsea
At the 2013 confed cup he was unbelievable
Damunk wrote:
bully12 wrote:
Robotnik wrote:
green4life wrote:There was a chest trap Mikel pull off while surrounded by 3 Argentines late in the second half, then dribbled 1 or 2 before being hacked down. I think around the 80+ min. Kai.
Right Here

Honestly I never knew that Mikel has such scintillating and exquisite skill . How did he suppress this kind of talent all these years . If he had displayed this kind of mesmerizing skill all these years he could have been in this same class with Messi and Ronaldo. I'm overwhelmingly flabbergasted .
His creative instincts were suppressed at Chelsea for so many years that he virtually 'forgot' how to express himself. He was mandated to 'keep it simple' and the disciplined player that he is, stuck to instructions even at the expense of relentless abuse from Chelsea and Nigeria fans.
Much respect earned for that.

Now Rohr has encouraged him to be himself and its all coming back...albeit slowly.
At first, I wasn't entirely convinced it was the right thing to do, but as his confidence has increased it is obvious he has those skills and never really lost them.

In addition, Mikel is known for his phenomenal physical strength and it has always been very hard to get the ball off him. See how he was casually holding off several Argentinian players as if they were children trying to snatch biscuit from dem Papa hand. :D
The only way you can get the ball off him is when he turns into unseen traffic - usually when he should have released the ball a little earlier. Hopefully, that will get better with time.

Mikel is our greatest asset and a worthy captain. We are blessed to have him lead a bunch of equally gifted emerging talents like Iwobi, Iheanacho, Uzoho and yes, Onyekuru.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
bully12 wrote:
Robotnik wrote:
green4life wrote:There was a chest trap Mikel pull off while surrounded by 3 Argentines late in the second half, then dribbled 1 or 2 before being hacked down. I think around the 80+ min. Kai.
Right Here

Honestly I never knew that Mikel has such scintillating and exquisite skill . How did he suppress this kind of talent all these years . If he had displayed this kind of mesmerizing skill all these years he could have been in this same class with Messi and Ronaldo. I'm overwhelmingly flabbergasted .
His creative instincts were suppressed at Chelsea for so many years that he virtually 'forgot' how to express himself. He was mandated to 'keep it simple' and the disciplined player that he is, stuck to instructions even at the expense of relentless abuse from Chelsea and Nigeria fans.

Now Rohr has encouraged him to be himself and its all coming back...albeit slowly.
At first, I wasn't entirely convinced it was the right thing to do, but as his confidence has increased it is obvious he has those skills and never really lost them.

In addition, Mikel is known for his phenomenal physical strength and it has always been very hard to get the ball off him. See how he was casually holding off several Argentinian players as if they were children trying to snatch biscuit from dem Papa hand. :D
The only way you can get the ball off him is when he turns into unseen traffic - usually when he should have released the ball a little earlier. Hopefully, that will get better with time.

Mikel is our greatest asset and a worthy captain. We are blessed to have him lead a bunch of equally gifted emerging talents like Iwobi, Iheanacho, Uzoho and yes, Onyekuru.
Na brah... Naijarian coaches recognized him as being a 10... Siasia, Amodu, Eguavoen, Keshi... the role he played for Chelsea just shows you about his adaptability. That is why fans of Chelsea can't begin to understand how come he plays the 10 role for Naijaria... as if we are using him wrongly.

Chelsea used him wrongly. Not us!
Keshi did not play him as a numbers 10 stop rewriting history!!
Under keshi He was played as DM in a double pivot midfield alongside onazi
Ironically that was a period in which we desperately lacked a number 10
I, vancity eagle and many others could not fathom why keshi refused to play him further forward
Instead he played the likes of mba, osaze and uchebo there before finally settling on babatunde in the number 10 role
The first coach to trust mikel with the number 10 role was siasia at rio
Rohr just followed on from there
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

smartbrother wrote:
Cellular wrote:Na brah... Naijarian coaches recognized him as being a 10... Siasia, Amodu, Eguavoen, Keshi... the role he played for Chelsea just shows you about his adaptability. That is why fans of Chelsea can't begin to understand how come he plays the 10 role for Naijaria... as if we are using him wrongly.

I, vancity eagle and many others could not fathom why keshi refused to play him further forward
Instead he played the likes of mba, osaze and uchebo there before finally settling on babatunde in the number 10 role
Correct! How soon people forget.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

smartbrother wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
bully12 wrote:
Robotnik wrote:
Right Here

Na brah... Naijarian coaches recognized him as being a 10... Siasia, Amodu, Eguavoen, Keshi... the role he played for Chelsea just shows you about his adaptability. That is why fans of Chelsea can't begin to understand how come he plays the 10 role for Naijaria... as if we are using him wrongly.

I believe Keshi played him in the number 10 role during the 2013 Confederations Cup.
I am happy
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Dammy wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
bully12 wrote:
Robotnik wrote:
Right Here

I believe Keshi played him in the number 10 role during the 2013 Confederations Cup.
He played number 10 in one game against Uruaguy
Mba started as 10 v Spain and Tahiti
WHat about the Nations cup? Or the World Cup?
Where did he play Mikel?
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
jette1 wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
You disagreed with an evidence based facts(European championships, several EPL championships, 2 Olympic medals, Cup of nations, U21 world championship, millions of dollars in Bank, 3 world cups appearances, SE captainship, active on professional soccer scene since 2003, more recognizable by world soccer fans than any other Nigerian player ever) so the burden of disproof falls on you.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

jette1 wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
jette1 wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
You disagreed with an evidence based facts(European championships, several EPL championships, 2 Olympic medals, Cup of nations, U21 world championship, millions of dollars in Bank, 3 world cups appearances, SE captainship, active on professional soccer scene since 2003, more recognizable by world soccer fans than any other Nigerian player ever) so the burden of disproof falls on you.
Hmm... let's unpack this quickly using a quick head to head with Kanu

"European championships"- presumably Champions League
Mikel - 1
Kanu - 1

"EPL championships"
Mikel - 2
Kanu - 2

"Olympic medals"
Mikel - 2 (1 silver, 1 bronze)
Kanu - 1 (Gold)

"World Cup appearances"
Mikel - 1 (4 appearances)
Kanu - 3 ( 6 appearances)

Longevity
Mikel - 13 years (2004-Present)
Kanu - 20 years (1992-2012)

"Most recognisable by world soccer fans"
I don't know how you've measured that.

Plus Kanu has won African Player of the Year twice - an award which Mikel has never won.

So no, your case for Mikel has not been made.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

metalalloy wrote:

Ozil :sneaky:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."