World Cup: Rohr hits Germany for players

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

pens
Egg
Egg

Post by pens »

http://odili.net/news/source/2017/nov/21/828.html

Festus Abu

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr is currently in his home country Germany scouring the Bundesliga for talent as he aims to arrive in Russia for next year's World Cup with a quality squad.

The Super Eagles qualified for their sixth World Cup after winning four of their six games to sit atop Group B, which housed African champions Cameroon, Zambia and Algeria.

Rohr, who guided Nigeria to a shock 4-2 victory over football superpowers Argentina in a friendly encounter in Krasnodar, Russia, on November 14, has since said the players who did not play any part during the qualifiers will get their opportunities to break into the World Cup squad.

Our correspondent learnt that the 64-year-old has been encouraged to revive his interest in the players he had pencilled in for the World Cup qualifiers but could not get them - after succeeding in convincing Russian-born Brian Idowu to switch his international allegiance to Nigeria after a long battle.

Reports in the German media on Monday said Rohr watched the Bundesliga clash between Hoffenheim and Eintracht Frankfurt at Wirsol Rhein-Neckar-Arena in which German-born Nigerian centre-back Kevin Akpoguma played the 90 minutes for the home side (Hoffenheim).

Our correspondent also learnt that Rohr is monitoring Hannover 96 German-born Nigerian forward Noah Sarenren-Bazee's situation. The attacker is set to return to action after six months on the treatment table due to various problems with his thigh.

Sarenren-Bazee, who has a German mother, is eligible to represent Nigeria because of his Nigerian father, honoured Rohr's invitation to feature in the March 2017 friendlies against Senegal and Burkina Faso but the 21-year-old was forced to withdraw from the games reportedly due to injury.

Rohr was working towards persuading Akpoguma, who has represented Germany at U16, U17, U18, U19, U20 and U21 levels, before the 22-year-old suffered a career-threatening injury.

With the combative defender having started three successive Bundesliga games since he was promoted to Die Kraichgauer's first team, Rohr has ramped up his interest in the player.

The former Gabon coach told German radio SWR on Monday that he was interested in Akpoguma.

He said, "I watched him play for Hoffenheim against Frankfurt on Saturday. Kevin is an excellent match for the players we are on the lookout for.

"But he'll have to decide soon whether he wants to wear the colours of Nigeria and I'll call him in the next few days.''

Akpoguma, who was a guest on SWR TV, said, "That (Nigeria's interest) honours me, of course, but I'm German, I was born here, and then I should play for Germany too."
Remember the three Rs: Respect for your self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: World Cup: Rohr hits Germany for players

Post by truetalk »

I think there is a young GK that is eligible for Nigeria on the books of a Bundesliga side (at the youth level). Not relevant for 2018 though. We have enough competent hands that need to be invited to compete for a shirt right now.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

If he is able to get Kevin, that would be a BIG steal! This is a kid that's 6'4" and fully understands how to play in a disciplined back line, regardless of formation. Having centerbacks Kevin Akpoguma, Leon Balogun, William T-Ekong and Chidozie Awaziem for Nigeria will most certainly be the icing on the cake.

My only concern is he went through a tramatic experience with the injury he suffered. Medical reports have it that it could have severed his spinal cord, had the impact been 1cm closer. Scary!

Wish Kevin all the very best!
pens wrote:World Cup: Rohr hits Germany for players

http://odili.net/news/source/2017/nov/21/828.html

Festus Abu

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr is currently in his home country Germany scouring the Bundesliga for talent as he aims to arrive in Russia for next year's World Cup with a quality squad.

The Super Eagles qualified for their sixth World Cup after winning four of their six games to sit atop Group B, which housed African champions Cameroon, Zambia and Algeria.

Rohr, who guided Nigeria to a shock 4-2 victory over football superpowers Argentina in a friendly encounter in Krasnodar, Russia, on November 14, has since said the players who did not play any part during the qualifiers will get their opportunities to break into the World Cup squad.

Our correspondent learnt that the 64-year-old has been encouraged to revive his interest in the players he had pencilled in for the World Cup qualifiers but could not get them - after succeeding in convincing Russian-born Brian Idowu to switch his international allegiance to Nigeria after a long battle.

Reports in the German media on Monday said Rohr watched the Bundesliga clash between Hoffenheim and Eintracht Frankfurt at Wirsol Rhein-Neckar-Arena in which German-born Nigerian centre-back Kevin Akpoguma played the 90 minutes for the home side (Hoffenheim).

Our correspondent also learnt that Rohr is monitoring Hannover 96 German-born Nigerian forward Noah Sarenren-Bazee's situation. The attacker is set to return to action after six months on the treatment table due to various problems with his thigh.

Sarenren-Bazee, who has a German mother, is eligible to represent Nigeria because of his Nigerian father, honoured Rohr's invitation to feature in the March 2017 friendlies against Senegal and Burkina Faso but the 21-year-old was forced to withdraw from the games reportedly due to injury.

Rohr was working towards persuading Akpoguma, who has represented Germany at U16, U17, U18, U19, U20 and U21 levels, before the 22-year-old suffered a career-threatening injury.

With the combative defender having started three successive Bundesliga games since he was promoted to Die Kraichgauer's first team, Rohr has ramped up his interest in the player.

The former Gabon coach told German radio SWR on Monday that he was interested in Akpoguma.

He said, "I watched him play for Hoffenheim against Frankfurt on Saturday. Kevin is an excellent match for the players we are on the lookout for.

"But he'll have to decide soon whether he wants to wear the colours of Nigeria and I'll call him in the next few days.''

Akpoguma, who was a guest on SWR TV, said, "That (Nigeria's interest) honours me, of course, but I'm German, I was born here, and then I should play for Germany too."
pens
Egg
Egg

Post by pens »

German Journalist – Why Germany Don’t Need Rohr’s Target Akpoguma
November 21, 2017011

German journalist Roland Mark has taken a swipe at Hoffenheim defender Kevin Akpoguma who turning down the chance to switch allegiance to Nigeria and possibly go to the World Cup in Russia next year .

According to coach of the senior national team of Nigeria Gernot Rohr talks are supposed to be held with the 22 year old soon as he views him as a player who can improve the defence of the team.

Mark who covers the Bundesliga however disagrees with Akpoguma’s stand regarding his reasons for snubbing Nigeria is because he feels he stands a chance to play for Germany.

” It’s scary how some players think they can have a future at a team that doesn’t even know if they exist at all. I think Akpoguma is trying to get Germany to notice him by turning down Nigeria”, Mark told Owngoalnigeria.com.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/11/21/ge ... -akpoguma/

” This is the first time he is having a taste of the Bundesliga, and he is already 22. In the Germany national team there are about 8 players ahead of him, and a further 7 waiting in the wings. Among them he is by far the oldest among all and the least rated.

” If not for injuries he wouldn’t have been in the team of Hoffeinheim. Credit to him he has taken the chance to make an impression but in just few games, and one of the games was the one Rohr watched.

” He has to reconsider and play for Nigeria, that is his surest way of going to the World Cup. He need to take a cue from Leon Balogun who is now considered by some in Germany as one who got away from them, thanks to his display for Nigeria “.
Remember the three Rs: Respect for your self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

pens wrote:German journalist Roland Mark has taken a swipe at Hoffenheim defender Kevin Akpoguma who turning down the chance to switch allegiance to Nigeria and possibly go to the World Cup in Russia next year.
Anyone know who "Roland Mark" writes for? I've only seen his name in relation to these sorts of stories.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

pens wrote:German Journalist – Why Germany Don’t Need Rohr’s Target Akpoguma
November 21, 2017011

German journalist Roland Mark has taken a swipe at Hoffenheim defender Kevin Akpoguma who turning down the chance to switch allegiance to Nigeria and possibly go to the World Cup in Russia next year .

According to coach of the senior national team of Nigeria Gernot Rohr talks are supposed to be held with the 22 year old soon as he views him as a player who can improve the defence of the team.

Mark who covers the Bundesliga however disagrees with Akpoguma’s stand regarding his reasons for snubbing Nigeria is because he feels he stands a chance to play for Germany.

” It’s scary how some players think they can have a future at a team that doesn’t even know if they exist at all. I think Akpoguma is trying to get Germany to notice him by turning down Nigeria”, Mark told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” This is the first time he is having a taste of the Bundesliga, and he is already 22. In the Germany national team there are about 8 players ahead of him, and a further 7 waiting in the wings. Among them he is by far the oldest among all and the least rated.

” If not for injuries he wouldn’t have been in the team of Hoffeinheim. Credit to him he has taken the chance to make an impression but in just few games, and one of the games was the one Rohr watched.

” He has to reconsider and play for Nigeria, that is his surest way of going to the World Cup. He need to take a cue from Leon Balogun who is now considered by some in Germany as one who got away from them, thanks to his display for Nigeria “.
I call BS on this story.

How could they not know he exists when he has played for all their junior teams?

He was also the captain of the U20 team that beat Naijaria.

He was actually playing well before the injuries. Yes, the German team is deep but the dude is hardly a nobody.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

I doubt "Roland Mark" exists....
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

respect the man.
To stop trying is to start dying
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

The YeyeMan wrote:I doubt "Roland Mark" exists....
:rotf: :rotf:
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

I assume that,too.
I guess he is a fabrication from owngoal to support their agenda.
Nobody in Germany has ever heard of this 'highly respected journalist'.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

DAgrin wrote:
I assume that,too.
It is the from the vivid imagination of their "Contributing Editor".
Too bad they don't have a comment section for their tales by moonlight.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

Cellular wrote:
DAgrin wrote:
I assume that,too.
It is the from the vivid imagination of their "Contributing Editor".
Too bad they don't have a comment section for their tales by moonlight.
:lol:
If not for Jesus, where will i be?
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

See how "we" are attacking the messenger.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

DAgrin wrote:
I assume that,too.

Reads like pure Nigerian journalist nonsense. Even the sentence construction seems colloquially Nigerian...And then "Roland Mark"...I mean, common, that's the best "German" name they could find?
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Kabalega wrote:See how "we" are attacking the messenger.
You mean the fabricator.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Is anyone worried about this trend of scouting for foreign born Nigerian players?
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote:Is anyone worried about this trend of scouting for foreign born Nigerian players?
No.
I'd be worried about scouting for foreign-born, non-Nigerian players.
Scouting for FBN players and developing local talent are not mutually exclusive, if that's what you are thinking. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Scouting for players after qualifying is quite late in the day.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

The YeyeMan wrote:
pens wrote:German journalist Roland Mark has taken a swipe at Hoffenheim defender Kevin Akpoguma who turning down the chance to switch allegiance to Nigeria and possibly go to the World Cup in Russia next year.
Anyone know who "Roland Mark" writes for? I've only seen his name in relation to these sorts of stories.
Perhaps a distant cousin of a certain "contributing editor"
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Dammy wrote:Is anyone worried about this trend of scouting for foreign born Nigerian players?
No. If you are Nigerian, good enough and committed, that is all that matters.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

metalalloy wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Perhaps a distant cousin of a certain "contributing editor"
In certain alphabets, "Roland Mark" forms an anagram of "Ayo Akinfe". *

* Denotes statement which may or may not be true.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Cellular wrote:
pens wrote:German Journalist – Why Germany Don’t Need Rohr’s Target Akpoguma
November 21, 2017011

I call BS on this story.

How could they not know he exists when he has played for all their junior teams?

He was also the captain of the U20 team that beat Naijaria.

He was actually playing well before the injuries. Yes, the German team is deep but the dude is hardly a nobody.
Oga Cellular, thanks a lot for the question! I was going to ask the same thing and indeed, how could Germany NOT KNOW Kelvin exists?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

una still dey listen to owngoal... first off who goes around calling their website owngoal? that alone nah evidence of fakeness
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved