Can SE Go Deeper at the 2018 World Cup?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Can SE Go Deeper at the 2018 World Cup?

Post by Enugu II »

The 2018 World Cup in Russia is barely seven months away but Nigeria's readiness to build a record-setting team remains largely unclear in spite of the recent 4-2 win over Argentina in an international friendly. By record-setting one refers to a team that would at least get to the quarter final stage in order to surpass previous performances by Nigeria at a World Cup (see Figure 1).
Table 1 below looks at the team's current personnel and grading their individual performances and estimating their individual impact on the team. NG grade is simply "No Grade" as there is little data to evaluate. Team impact ranges from 1 to 5 with 5 reflecting greatest impact on the team. A player reaching an impact of "?" means the impact is difficult to assess because of few appearances.
Details can be found by clicking on the link below:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2017/11/r ... -team.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Synopsis
Egg
Egg
Re: Can SE Go Deeper at the 2018 World Cup?

Post by Synopsis »

Depends on the group and bracket.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] Still a lot to do between now and June but I think that we are on the cusp of something special here
[2] If we do all the right things and Rohr abandons his sentimental attachment to certain old players, I think we can reach the semi finals.
[3] For instance the 2010, Uruguay team and the 1986 Belgian teams that got to the semi finals are no better than our current squad if selection is based solely on merit
[4] If we want to be honest, the fans are not helping matters with their constant emphasis on "experience" as if the World Cup is ever won by the team with the most experienced players.
[5] As a people, our mindset is not set to winning. We are too attached to players who played in the qualifiers whether they are the best men for the job in Russia or not
[6] Everyone else has a six month schedule, detailing everything that will be done right up until the start of the tournament. We need to learn to do likewise too
[7] On the pitch, things are taking shape but we need to work on all the other things like morale, psychology, motivation, etc
[8] I am pleased that the NFF have agreed a bonus package. That is a good start. Top marks to Pinnick
[9] As fans, we have to stop getting carried away with victories,. Even when we win, we need to look for the faults in our team and point them out to the technical crew. For instance, even when Shehu Abdullahi was putting in man of the match performances, I could see that he had limited pace and was not a good crosser of the ball. It is also now clear that Leon Balogun struggles for pace
[10] Let us see what the future holds but yes, this team does look like it is ready to compete rather than just participate.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

All these experts who have no clue but somehow earn respect....

I have watched all recorded World Cup games, except 1998 (I saw 4-8).

Brazil 50s and Holland 70s stand out.

But the biggest WC lessons in the modern game were by Brazil 82-86 team, the Dutch teams; the German and Argentine dominance.

More lessons will be learned from the Dutch, US and Italian collapses for the 2018 WC.
Though closer scrutiny will reveal them not to be unexpected.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Kabalega wrote:All these experts who have no clue but somehow earn respect....

But the biggest WC lessons in the modern game were by Brazil 82-86 team, the Dutch teams; the German and Argentine dominance.

More lessons will be learned from the Dutch, US and Italian collapses for the 2018 WC.

The best team ever in World Cup history was that Brazil 1970 team. Simply sensational!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

By the way Enugu II, did you take note of some of the otheer serious flaws during that Argentina game? For instance, around the 30th minute Otamendi had a free header from a corner. He was left totally unmarked about six yards out.

Did you also notice how heavy Iheanacho's touch was. he was just fortunate with that third goal that Brian Idowu was sprinting in at pace to get on to the end of it.

I also noticed how in the first half, Ola Aina played Pavon onside when the rest of the defence had stepped up. It is things like this that we need to cut out if we are to go far in Russia next year.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

The best team ever in World Cup history was that Brazil 1970 team. Simply sensational!
You don't know much about Brazils 1950s team.
Even Pele's idol was on that team.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Kabalega wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

You don't know much about Brazils 1950s team.
Even Pele's idol was on that team.
Ha ha ha ha. I will stop responding to you after this.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

EnuguII Nigeria has the attacking weapons to go far in the World Cup but at the end of the day what matters is whether the defence can keep the game close. Where Argentina, Zambia and South Africa exploited Nigeria was going out wide - especially right. Ola Aina has been hyped but he was not it against Argentina who broke wide right on a couple occasions. Meanwhile I think the revelation was Tyrone Ebuehi not because he is world class yet but because he has the speed,quickness and ability to get back and man mark. Ebuehi is someone who in worse case scenario I would switch and play in the RB position if we face serious attacking teams of the level of France, Germany.

But I am worried that Rohr is focused so much on playing the Brazils, Germanys, Frances of the world that he has neglected to prepare the team to meet rugged teams playing without the ball most of the time and relying on counter attacks. These kind of teams expose Nigeria's traditional weakness of lack of positional awareness. Gaps appear in the defensive midfield because both Ndidi and Onazi push too far forward. Gaps appear on the wings because the wide backs push too far forward. These are areas that need to be worked on. Nigeria has to learn you don't need 7 players mounting an attack when we have enough clinical scorers in the midfield.