Onyekuru given second public dressing down.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Onyekuru given second public dressing down.

Post by danfo driver »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Gotti wrote:Why “infer” when there are direct quotes from the player himself? :D

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/25/ev ... ico-madrid
That's all fine - although it doesn't answer the points the coach made about Onyekuru's playing style. That's the point I was replying to - not about the coach feeling "slighted" or "spurned".
Dont forget this same man came out some weeks back to claim that Henry only wants to give his all to Nigeria and go to the world cup, but is not interested in Anderlecht. His attacks are quite personal! I dont think he is spurned or slighted. That was another forumer's opinion. Personally, I think this is a coach who came in to ANderlecht with his own plans and the players he likes and wants to use--- and when he got there, he was told by the management that he has to play Henry, and that has angered him!

Dont forget also that when the coach came, he tried to force Henry into playing as a striker. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyone who knows Henry knows that he is NOT a damn striker. The kid scores a lot of goals, but he is not a striker. Clearly, the LF position Henry played at Eupen is not available to Henry in this man's strategy and he is upset that he has to change his tactics for a player he doesnt want.

Incidentally, Henry suffers in that striker position, and that is the same stick the man is using to beat him. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

He would be well advised to make the very best of his stay at Anderlect and not be in a rush to go to Everton under David Unsworth. Atm, Everton is not a team I would wish even for Ezenwa!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

danfo driver wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
danfo driver wrote:Cool. When are you also going to infer from Henry Onyekuru? There are two opinions here. The coach and Henry's. Or are you saying the coach is truthful and henry is a liar?
Haven't said Henry is a liar or that the coach is being truthful so I'm not sure what perspective you're coming from tbh. The coach has asked for something from the player and has said the player isn't giving it to him. You may not agree with the coach's approach of airing this in public - I don't - but he's clearly dissatisfied with the player. The player, as far as I know, hasn't commented on the coach's words. So this isn't a matter of determining which one of them is being truthful.
To be honest, thats not even my concern. Ask Gotti, he was the one who answered my question last week. The last few weeks i have just been noticing something that has not sat well with me, as regards that coach and Onyekuru.

Honestly, I feel like the coach came in and he simply does not rate Henry or Henry does NOT fit into his plans... which is not a problem. However, Anderlecht did quite a lot to bring henry to the club. They fought to buy him and he rejected them. They were later able to then get him on loan. So clearly, the club (former manager and perhaps management) rate him very highly. And possibly Everton demanded on the loan agreement that Henry must play a certain number of games. so perhaps, the coach feels pressure to include a player he simply does not want and because of that frustration, he is taking it out on the player.

The above has been my feeling since last week, when Gotti confirmed that the coach that brought Henry in was replaced as far back as September. I didnt need this Article released today to have that feeling, honestly.

I believe Henry should put his head down and continue to work very hard. But on December 18th, when they go on break, henry should say good bye to everybody at Anderlecht and run 40/40. :lol: This is so much deeper than "i want to improve this player." Its obvious.
Fair enough. Not sure he'll leave in December - isn't he the top scorer? If the coach thinks the team can do better without him then so be it. Though if he's going to leave in December he should find a better destination than relegation-bound EPL teams.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Obiagu
Egg
Egg

Post by Obiagu »

This coach is a complete moron...this is why many players lose respect for their coach. This kind of talk is what you have with a player in private. You will gain more respect instead of running his mouth in the press. I doubt he will be like that with Belgian player.
supereagles all the way
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Obiagu wrote:This coach is a complete moron...this is why many players lose respect for their coach. This kind of talk is what you have with a player in private. You will gain more respect instead of running his mouth in the press. I doubt he will be like that with Belgian player.
How did you reach the conclusion that discussion(s) have not already been held in private?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

olu wrote:Not quite sure what the coach is trying to achieve or how effective it is to criticize Onyekeru publicly. However, I wonder if Rohr shares a similar opinion as the coach, considering he didn't start against Algeria and that he was an unused sub against Argentina. Rohr may also not rate Onyekeru as highly as many on this forum rate him. I am only speculating though.
You mean as highly as Ayo rates him... :lol:
And it’s NOT “speculating” when the facts are that he’s been hardly used by Rohr.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Damunk wrote:
Obiagu wrote:This coach is a complete moron...this is why many players lose respect for their coach. This kind of talk is what you have with a player in private. You will gain more respect instead of running his mouth in the press. I doubt he will be like that with Belgian player.
How did you reach the conclusion that discussion(s) have not already been held in private?
Where did he say he reached that it’s not already been held in private (albeit there’s no available evidence that it has)?

All he’s said is that it’s the sort of discussion that is best held in private. By way of analogy, just because you have already had heated “discussions” with your spouse in private means that it’s better or more effective to continue same or have the next one publicly. I think Bros is merely saying that certain kinds of discussion (such as this one) are always best held in private.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

airwolex wrote:I really like the look of what I see on youtube, but it's youtube. He'd better do well just to trust his coach, Nigerian football is full of all this Dimeji Lawalish and Pius Ikediaish footballers that are very exciting to watch but not very effective.
Every playing ground is littered with them. Think they're the shhiit. :)
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Gotti wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Where did he say he reached that it’s not already been held in private (albeit there’s no available evidence that it has)?

All he’s said is that it’s the sort of discussion that is best held in private. By way of analogy, just because you have already had heated “discussions” with your spouse in private means that it’s better or more effective to continue same or have the next one publicly. I think Bros is merely saying that certain kinds of discussion (such as this one) are always best held in private.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Apparently some people no dey hear word unless you shout for their head for outside.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Gotti wrote:
Damunk wrote:

I think it's best held in private FIRST. And if that isn't effective then anything else is probably fair game. The coach's first responsibility is to the team not the individual player.

Westerhof did something vaguely similar (albeit to a lesser degree) with Okocha early in his international career and the player was better for it.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

I feel for the boy. If the coach could say all this in public, I can only guess how much and how he says it to the boy on the training ground or in private.

But the coach has actually described the things wrong with Onyekuru’s game and its almost exactly what I said about him on another thread last week. The boy is very raw and won’t make the next level if he doesn’t quickly start to make changes to his game.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Lolly wrote:I feel for the boy. If the coach could say all this in public, I can only guess how much and how he says it to the boy on the training ground or in private.

But the coach has actually described the things wrong with Onyekuru’s game and its almost exactly what I said about him on another thread last week. The boy is very raw and won’t make the next level if he doesn’t quickly start to make changes to his game.
Hmmm I've opposed the (IMHO premature) clamour for him to be included in the SE
However I have a problem with the unfairly high standards by which he is being judged
yes, Onyekuru is raw ....but that is because he is 19 years old!
By definition, one cannot be the finished product at 19. He is far ahead of his peers at this stage of his career.

every coach has a duty of care to his players to protect their confidence levels
this agbaya seeks to harm the player.
Reminds me of this interview
[/video]
Hopefully Onyekuru has people in his circle who -like Richard Williams- can help him keep his head up and not let this spiteful coach ruin his confidence
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

Ugbowo wrote:I am all for telling a player as is.....but not in the press.

I am not sure what this coach is trying to do by publicly humiliating Henry 2 weeks in a row.....this day and age, you'll more than likely lose the player than have him come ur way. I don't know what has been said in private but I'll prefer it stays there.
My tots exactly. What kind of coach is this?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ACTUALLY....
I went and sought out the original interview on Anderlecht Online which was quoted by the article on Sports Witness that we are all now reacting to. And surprise, surprise, the Sports Witness article has successfully sensationalised the interview and got us all reacting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

'Public dressing down', 'mind games', 'bring the player down' and all the other emotive catchphrses have simply sexed up the interview, coloured our reactions and basically turned an every day managerial response to a simple question on a certain player into a major controversy.

Somebody obviously asked him a question and he gave his genuine thoughts, hardly any different from Wenger talking publicly about Iwobi's need to score more goals or do more defensively.
From the way the Sporting Witness article was written, one would think the manager called a press conference to humiliate Onyekuru. :lol: :lol:

Its all about the packaging. This one achieved its purpose.
See the original article below and read it without all the negative embellishments from SW. They also conveniently left out the positive things the coach had to say about Onyekuru.
Also remember this is a google translation from Dutch - so for example I think the word 'feeling' in the headline actually implies 'instincts'.

"Onyekuru does not yet have the feeling of a center striker"
FRIDAY, 24 NOVEMBER 2017, 14:52 - GarrinchaLogo
Anderlecht-Online
https://www.anderlecht-online.be/nl/article/162218

INTERVIEWS
Henry Onyekuru is currently the best scoring striker of Anderlecht. Yet it is not an option for Hein Vanhaezebrouck to play him as a center striker. "I've already tried that through a few incursions, but that did not work out well."

"Henry does not currently have the feeling to make the right walking movements from that position", says the coach. "He may think he can, but on the basis of what I see, it is clear that he does not have the feeling, he looks for his position, often stands still and does not know where to go. "

According to Vanhaezebrouck, the Nigerian is much more dangerous if he can come from his flank. "Then he feels much more comfortable. He can then occasionally dive into the center, something he does well. When he plays centrally, he even has trouble making the movements outside. As long as that does not improve, it is not an option to play centrally with Onyekuru. ''

Finish.
Its all about context.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

^^ I Blame the op of this thread
Actually the coach echoes a point I made previously
Onyekuru has a narrow scope of application as a wing forward
Can't play as a central striker cant play as an out and out winger
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

ALWAYS TWO SIDES TO A STORY

There are coaches who may sometimes not correctly read a talent and suppress or misdirect it. There are also coaches who unnecessarily control players to leave the impression that they are responsible for every accomplishment. Many here think Mikel Obi was mishandled by Mourinho at Chelsea. Of course there are also great coaches with experience and insight. On the other side are young players who need to be guided and who need to be patient but don't understand it. It's difficult and unwise to take sides without being there.
Bell
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

The YeyeMan wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
metalalloy wrote:Not sure what to make of this one. It sounds like a spurned coach hitting back at a player who has expressed a desire to be somewhere else.

No be only last week here this same man came out and said that Onyekuru is only thinking of the world cup and is not concerned about Anderlecht?
Oh really? I wasn't even aware of that. Yeah it sounds like a slighted coach to me.
Slighted because Onyerkuru isn't doing as asked?

I've watched him a few times and he is a bit selfish tbh. Not always a bad thing but it can be when at the detriment to the team.
Slighted because Onyekuru has publicly made his desire to return to his home team.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Come on guys. You sound like you have absolutely no intuition. It is very clear to me that we have a coach who is afraid of loosing his unexpected but golden goose as early as this January and consequently, has decided to employ psychology to solve his problem, at least temporarily. If there’s any truth to the rumors about Barcelona and the other big clubs then the manager’s comments were not really directed at Onyekuru. They were directed at Everton and the numerous suitors of Henry Onyekuru :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

airwolex wrote:I really like the look of what I see on youtube, but it's youtube. He'd better do well just to trust his coach, Nigerian football is full of all this Dimeji Lawalish and Pius Ikediaish footballers that are very exciting to watch but not very effective.
Ikedia was better and more effective than Okocha. Let's not diminish the contribution of our past players.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

txj wrote:He would be well advised to make the very best of his stay at Anderlect and not be in a rush to go to Everton under David Unsworth. Atm, Everton is not a team I would wish even for Ezenwa!

Looks like Sam Allardyce now.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:If there’s any truth to the rumors about Barcelona and the other big clubs then the manager’s comments were not really directed at Onyekuru.
With respect, there's no danger of Barca showing any interest in Onyekuru any time soon.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

metalalloy wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
metalalloy wrote:Not sure what to make of this one. It sounds like a spurned coach hitting back at a player who has expressed a desire to be somewhere else.

No be only last week here this same man came out and said that Onyekuru is only thinking of the world cup and is not concerned about Anderlecht?
Oh really? I wasn't even aware of that. Yeah it sounds like a slighted coach to me.
Slighted because Onyerkuru isn't doing as asked?

I've watched him a few times and he is a bit selfish tbh. Not always a bad thing but it can be when at the detriment to the team.
Slighted because Onyekuru has publicly made his desire to return to his home team.
Can he get a work permit?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

theYemster wrote: I think it's best held in private FIRST. And if that isn't effective then anything else is probably fair game. The coach's first responsibility is to the team not the individual player.

Westerhof did something vaguely similar (albeit to a lesser degree) with Okocha early in his international career and the player was better for it.
And both are necessarily mutually-exclusive? :blink:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL