Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:16 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Posts: 53996
Location: United Kingdom
heavyd wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Ayo,

TBH, I am surprised and amused by your insistence on a major overhaul of the team. I assume that is what you have stridently called for since Nigeria qualified for the World Cup. I have hoped that my assumption is wrong but reading several of your comments I have become convinced that I am NOT wrong.

I am surprised because you have followed Nigerian football for a long period and that history should have taught you a lesson on what is effective and what is not. However, it does not appear that you care about such history. Let me remind you about one that is very difficult for me to forget.

Go back to the qualifiers of the 1982 World Cup, two years after Nigeria was crowned African champions for the first time. I hope you remember then. It was in preparation for the game against Algeria at the last stage of the World Cup qualifiers. Nigeria was desperate to qualify. We had been so close in 1970 and then 1978 qualifiers but as you may remember, we failed on both occasions. In 1982 qualifiers we had Coach Otto Gloria who had just won the AFCON for Nigeria. This was a man associated with the great Benfica teams of the 1950s and 1960s, a man who led Portugal to their best placing ever at a World Cup in 1966, and a man Brazil courted to coach its National Selection at the 1970 World Cup. Nigeria had him in 1982.

At the time, we thought that Nigeria's best chance against Algeria was to invite our best players wherever they may be to join the NT. Only very few journalists opposed this, citing the importance of chemistry that was developing with a team that had a young Stephen Keshi, among others. The warnings were ignored. Instead, the calls grew louder for inviting the best players. The NFA recalled Christian Chukwu from retirement. The NFF called back Thompson Usiyan and Andrew Atuegbu from the USA. We were estatic. With such firepower, we certainly would not only beat Algeria but humiliate them.

In a warm up game in Benin, we lost 0-1 to Uganda. It was a warning. It was ignored. On match day, Algeria ran rings around our so called best players in Lagos and we were 0-2 down at home in Lagos. Instead of Keshi, we started Chukwu. Instead of the likes of Aloysius Atuegbu, we started Andrew. We started Usiyan. None of those so called stars did anything worthwhile on the field. You should remember that day. You watched it and yet....

Now you are calling for a similar overhaul just before the World Cup? IMHO, it is a dangerous call. My only hope is that Gernot Rohr is a conservative man and will be best served by ignoring such calls. He has relied largely on building chemistry and introducing new players gradually. It has paid off. He will not start changing that philosophy now for a pot of gold. At least, I assume that he will not. He will make changes but they will be minimal and that should be the logical expectation and not a kamikaze strategy of an overhaul.

This is just my tuppence.


(1) You and I take different lessons from the 1981 loss to Algeria. As far as I am concerned, we lost that tie due to Otto Gloria’s conservative refusal to drop Best Ogedengbe
If you accurately recall the game, the goals were not the fault of the goalkeeper. Thus, I am uncertain why you think Rufai would have saved Nigeria on the day that Chukwu could not keep up with the Algerians and had to be taken off at half time?

(2) Best Ogedengbe cost us both matches against Algeria as he did the 1980 Olympics
Addressed already.
(3) In 1981, Peter Rufai was by far the best goalkeeper in Nigeria but alas, Gloria refused to call him up. We paid a heavy price for such stubbornness
Addressed already.

(4) If you are blaming the stars for the first leg loss, how come we still lost the away leg when Gloria reverted back to his “old team?”
We lost 1-2 AWAY in Algeria. That was not unexpected. What was uUNEXPECTED was a HOME LOSS of 0-2. There is a difference between playing at home and playing away from home.
(5) in any case, I fundamentally disagree with your premise that conservatism breeds chemistry. If you chemicalise junk in the laboratory, you will get a junk end product, no matter how many years you put into the project
There is some correlation there but the crucial thing is that time together breeds chemistry. TIME is the key factor. There is now little time before the World Cup. This is not Sunday Sunday choose the best players and take one post. Players have to fully understand the coach's tactics, have time to practice it and have time to play together. If you continually chop the team then that TIME disappears.
(6) According to the logic of your argument, teams like Libya, Sierra Leone and Liberia that have had few changes over the last three years should be dominating African football
That will be a simplistic conclusion. Talent, psychology, time, etc play a huge role and so also does chemistry. If you get the best talents together with little time such a team will not get far even if it is a WORLD SELECTION.
(7) Otto Gloria enjoyed his greatest success in 1980 when he was brave enoiugh to bring youngsters like Ifeanyi Onyeadika, Henry Nwosu, Okey Isima, Sylvanua Okpala, John Orlando, etc into the team, dumping veterans like Patrick Ekeji and Annas Ahmed
He had months pof preparation with the team in Brazil (see TIME). That is the difference. Such a TIME does not exist now going into the World Cup.
(8) I notice that you conveniently failed to mention our match with Tunisia in the 1982 World Cup qualifiers. Well, let me refresh your memory. Our “chemicalised” old team lost the first leg 0-2 and the NFA took the drastic step of bringing in John Chidozie, Tunji Banjo and Emmanuel Osigwe. The rest is history. They went on to win the return leg for us, eliminating Tunisia. Within a week, team chemistry was forged to the neutral victory
Bros, the introduction of new players was minimal and not the wholesale changes that you seem to be advocating. Changing one or two players is going to happen at this World Cup with little effect on team chemistry but making wholesale changes will just not cut it.
(9) There is no evidence to suggest that the players we used in the qualifiers will be able to forge better chemistry during the one month pre-World Cup camping period than any new invitees
Is there evidence that they will not? In fact, they are more likely to do so that introducing a largely new team because they have TIME on their side. In any case, I expect one or two changes but that is it. No need for massive number of changes.
(10) According to the logic of your argument, we should have been disjointed against Argentina with the introduction of new faces like Uzoho, Ebuehi and Idowu. Well, I know which half of that match showed “greater chemistry.”That was a friendly where both teams put in new faces. BTW, Ebuehi has ben on the team for months now and thus he isn't new to the team, its players, and the tactics.


Well said EII
However I don't think Ayo was arguing for wholesale changes. Like you say that will be senseless.
The argument here seems to be about Babatunde getting an invite. Ayo did say IF he was fit he as well as any other Fit and in Form Nigerian footballer regardless of whether they played in the qualifiers or not could be called up by Rohr IF he thinks they will add something to his team. At the end of the day that decision is down to him.

There has been precedence for players not playing in qualifiers but being picked for a tournament and doing well (e.g Chidi Nwanu did not play in the qualifiers for the 1994 world cup but was selected for the final and played excellently well forming a formidable partnership with Uche in central defence)



I honestly think Enugu II is making a mountain out of a molehill. Rohr needs to look at players who he can bring into the team to strengthen it. There should be a universal consensus on that.

If anyone was suggesting that Rohr drop Ekong, Balogun, Mikel, Ndidi, Moses and Ighalo, then yes, I would understand Enugu II's point. As things stand, we need a back-up targetman, a playmaker, one or two more goalkeepers and depth to cover for injuries, suspensions and a loss of form. I fail to realise what the fuss is all about.

_________________
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 13001
Ayo u have finally lost the plot. I have to ask if u are ok, because if there is nothing wrong with u psychologically speaking the u are up to shady dealings.

I was with u on Onyekuru

I was with u on Uzoho

I was with u on Joel Obi

I was even with u on Kelechi Nwakali

BUT BABATUNDE?

GOD NO HEAVEN FORBID.

and no he was not one of our better players at the WC, that is complete fiction.

How cam we talk of Babatunde when the likes of

Dessers
Bazee
Bonaventure
Olayinka
Samuel Kalu
Anderson Esiti
Joel Obi
Kelechi Nwakali
Ajagun
Awoniyi
Okonkwo

haven't even been called yet, when the likes of

Onyekuru
Success
Kayode

Have barely been given a chance

You do not wish Nigeria well pushing this nonsense.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Posts: 53996
Location: United Kingdom
vancity eagle wrote:
Ayo u have finally lost the plot. I have to ask if u are ok, because if there is nothing wrong with u psychologically speaking the u are up to shady dealings.

I was with u on Onyekuru

I was with u on Uzoho

I was with u on Joel Obi

I was even with u on Kelechi Nwakali

BUT BABATUNDE?

GOD NO HEAVEN FORBID.

and no he was not one of our better players at the WC, that is complete fiction.

How cam we talk of Babatunde when the likes of

Dessers
Bazee
Bonaventure
Olayinka
Samuel Kalu
Anderson Esiti
Joel Obi
Kelechi Nwakali
Ajagun
Awoniyi
Okonkwo

haven't even been called yet, when the likes of

Onyekuru
Success
Kayode

Have barely been given a chance

You do not wish Nigeria well pushing this nonsense.


None of them are playmakers. From what I can see, only Iwobi, Nwakali and Babatunde are the recognised playmakers we have.

_________________
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 8870
cchinukw wrote:
I honestly do not see what the fuss is about if Babatunde is currently in form.

If he has improved on his impressive world cup form (before he was injured) then wetin be the wahala?

No one is advocating an overhaul.

Egu is only asking for Babatunde to be given a fair crack of the whip in national team call ups. Nothing wrong with that.



So how many players are we inviting for March friendly. 6,276? They are all in form and their Godfather has "only asked that they be given a fair crack of the whip in national team call ups?" abi? I agree Nothing wrong with that.

We will send you the bill for chartering 4,576 planes to carry our players to the March Friendlies, including hotel bill, training ground cost, feeding.

Thunder will silence you there if you refuse to foot that bill! Because according to you, we should invite anyone in form. Good! We are going to go along with your wishes, so you better be ready to pay.

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 8870
metalalloy wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
I honestly do not see what the fuss is about if Babatunde is currently in form.

If he has improved on his impressive world cup form (before he was injured) then wetin be the wahala?

No one is advocating an overhaul.

Egu is only asking for Babatunde to be given a fair crack of the whip in national team call ups. Nothing wrong with that.


Those are the key words. there is no indication that either is the case. There are strong indications that person asking for a "fair crack" hasn't seen him play in 3 years!!!

All dis one nah noise, unless there are several injuries, barring the upgrades in the gk and fullback positions, the team is pretty much set. Anyone we no like am can go find a u-12 team and coach them to their local world cup.



Bro, it actually doesnt even matter. You cant invite everyone in form. We have only 23 slots. There is a possibility that we will have 300 Nigerians in form in their different leagues. We cant fit everyone.

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 8870
Cristao II wrote:
They have started. Read his wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Babatunde

Michael Babatunde (born 24 December 1992) is a Nigerian football midfielder, who plays for Qatar SC in the Qatargas League.
Nigerian native Michael Babatunde has established records for goals scored and great performances en route to worldwide recognition as midfielder and forward.

At least they couldnt lie about appearances... At club level, he has only played 21 games in the last 3 years (2015-2017) and 36 games from 2013 to 2015. In his time at Qatar, he has only played 6 games since 2016!!


As long as Ayo and Eguavoen is happy, thats all that counts. :clap:

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 8870
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
They have started. Read his wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Babatunde

Michael Babatunde (born 24 December 1992) is a Nigerian football midfielder, who plays for Qatar SC in the Qatargas League.
Nigerian native Michael Babatunde has established records for goals scored and great performances en route to worldwide recognition as midfielder and forward.

At least they couldnt lie about appearances... At club level, he has only played 21 games in the last 3 years (2015-2017) and 36 games from 2013 to 2015. In his time at Qatar, he has only played 6 games since 2016!!

So Ayo Akinfe, come and defend this! BabaMessi has played only SIX matches since 201 and you and Eguavoen want him invited to the SE. This is even worse than Ahmed Musa that you criticize!


I have not watched Babatunde so am in no position to comment on his current form. I think you should address your question to Austin Eguavoen


Yet, you specifically stated that HE SHOULD BE CALLED TO CAMP! WOW!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 13001
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
Ayo u have finally lost the plot. I have to ask if u are ok, because if there is nothing wrong with u psychologically speaking the u are up to shady dealings.

I was with u on Onyekuru

I was with u on Uzoho

I was with u on Joel Obi

I was even with u on Kelechi Nwakali

BUT BABATUNDE?

GOD NO HEAVEN FORBID.

and no he was not one of our better players at the WC, that is complete fiction.

How cam we talk of Babatunde when the likes of

Dessers
Bazee
Bonaventure
Olayinka
Samuel Kalu
Anderson Esiti
Joel Obi
Kelechi Nwakali
Ajagun
Awoniyi
Okonkwo

haven't even been called yet, when the likes of

Onyekuru
Success
Kayode

Have barely been given a chance

You do not wish Nigeria well pushing this nonsense.


None of them are playmakers. From what I can see, only Iwobi, Nwakali and Babatunde are the recognised playmakers we have.



Babatunde is also not a playmaker. Are you kidding me ?

Raheem lawal and Ajagun are better playmakers than Babatunde, even Joel Obi will play that role better. If you want to look at playmaking options we have

1. Mikel
2. Alex Iwobi
3. Kelechi Nwakali
4. Joel Obi
5. Raheem Lawal
6. Abdul Ajagun

All well ahead of Babatunde, all playing at a much higher level. For you to even suggest that wastepipe is criminal. Heck even Nacho will be played in that role well before Babatunde.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Posts: 53996
Location: United Kingdom
danfo driver wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
They have started. Read his wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Babatunde

Michael Babatunde (born 24 December 1992) is a Nigerian football midfielder, who plays for Qatar SC in the Qatargas League.
Nigerian native Michael Babatunde has established records for goals scored and great performances en route to worldwide recognition as midfielder and forward.

At least they couldnt lie about appearances... At club level, he has only played 21 games in the last 3 years (2015-2017) and 36 games from 2013 to 2015. In his time at Qatar, he has only played 6 games since 2016!!

So Ayo Akinfe, come and defend this! BabaMessi has played only SIX matches since 201 and you and Eguavoen want him invited to the SE. This is even worse than Ahmed Musa that you criticize!


I have not watched Babatunde so am in no position to comment on his current form. I think you should address your question to Austin Eguavoen


Yet, you specifically stated that HE SHOULD BE CALLED TO CAMP! WOW!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


I did not. Eguavoen did!

_________________
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 8870
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
They have started. Read his wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Babatunde

Michael Babatunde (born 24 December 1992) is a Nigerian football midfielder, who plays for Qatar SC in the Qatargas League.
Nigerian native Michael Babatunde has established records for goals scored and great performances en route to worldwide recognition as midfielder and forward.

At least they couldnt lie about appearances... At club level, he has only played 21 games in the last 3 years (2015-2017) and 36 games from 2013 to 2015. In his time at Qatar, he has only played 6 games since 2016!!

So Ayo Akinfe, come and defend this! BabaMessi has played only SIX matches since 201 and you and Eguavoen want him invited to the SE. This is even worse than Ahmed Musa that you criticize!


I have not watched Babatunde so am in no position to comment on his current form. I think you should address your question to Austin Eguavoen


Yet, you specifically stated that HE SHOULD BE CALLED TO CAMP! WOW!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


I did not. Eguavoen did!



Here is your comment on this thread. Color-coded to help you:

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
I must admit I am perplexed as to how this boys career did not take off after the World Cup. he looked like a very good playmaker.

I must admit I have not watched him since but it would be a good idea for Rohr to have a look at him. If Mikel is sitting alongside Ndidi in front of the defence, we need an agile and mobile playmaker who can orchestrate things upfront.

For now, I only really see Kelechi Nwakali as that man but having Michael Babatunde compete for the shirt with him sounds like a great idea to me. Our team is finally taking shape.


Does that jog your memory?

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:22 pm
Posts: 43571
Dont forget this gem:

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Nothing wrong with taking a look at him. To be honest, we do not know what shape Babatunde is in, so it is hard to comment on his current form. I think that best thing for Rohr to do now is to go to Qatar to see if he is still the player he was in 2014. At the last World Cup, Michael Babatunde was our most creative player by far.


:lol:

_________________
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:51 am
Posts: 14106
metalalloy wrote:
Dont forget this gem:

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Nothing wrong with taking a look at him. To be honest, we do not know what shape Babatunde is in, so it is hard to comment on his current form. I think that best thing for Rohr to do now is to go to Qatar to see if he is still the player he was in 2014. At the last World Cup, Michael Babatunde was our most creative player by far.


:lol:

Let's all chip in and buy Ayo a one-way ticket to check out Babatunde in Qatar. :D

_________________

WC go sweet o
DNQ no good o

-
Cellular quotes
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016
-
© The YeyeMan 2018
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:33 pm
Posts: 7227
Goldleaf wrote:
It is times like this that I am thankful for Melvin Amaju Pinnick's logic that the necessary coach to guide the SE has to be an FC technically capable. There have been far too many times that we have qualified with a set of players only to succumb to local pressure and injected moves that end up in complete catastrophy. From what I have observed about Gernot Rohr, he already has his core of players and he understands that with growing confidence from international matches, they will come very good.

There is far too much rubbish from those asking for an overhaul. It is just insane. How can you jettison chemistry? The squad that won the Olympics had players like Teslim Fatusi, Mobi Oparaku, Garba Lawal, Wilson Oruma and Joseph Dosu who were not particularly outstanding in the technical department but they fitted into the team like a glove. Gernot Rohr who came from the technical department in the German Federation will know more than most that you can assemble 11 so-called gifted talent but if they don't have chemistry, spirit and character from overcoming setbacks, you have nothing. Come March and the next set of friendlies, Gernot Rohr will stick rigidly (and rightly) to the core that saw us through the qualifiers (Iwobi, Kele, JMO, Victor Moses, Simon Moses, Balogun, Troost, Shehu, Ebuehi, Ighalo, Musa, Nwakaeme, Onazi, Ndidi). He will only add about 2 or 3 max fresh players and they would have been outstanding in the friendlies.

The football world prays to see a particular Nigeria SE and they recognise it when it shows up; the Nigeria SE that may have doubts defensively but offensively it has pace, guile and even when down, will come back and overcome deficits. The world knows the other Nigeria; the fragile, weak and uneventful Nigeria that showed up in WC 2002, 2010 and 2014; the Nigeria that lacks cohesiveness, chemistry showing more individual talents than a common goal. That Nigeria will never win anything. The SE that shows the same team spirit as the U17s and the U23s at the Olympics that fights to the end is the one that the world wants to see. So, the likes of Ayo Akinfe can keep throwing up names until he is blue in the face. My pleasure is that Gernot Rohr will NOT depart from that core because he has already seen that core overcome a 2-goal deficit against Argentina and overwhelm Argentina in the 2nd half. That was a strong lesson for Rohr and it is exactly what Johannes Bonfrere found when he took the U23 to Atlanta in 1996. It is not about the new names and new faces; it is about the team spirit, the chemistry, the character. Rohr will back his set to the hilt and will not fall by the wayside to the noise like the likes of Keshi and Onigbinde did.

Period.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

_________________
To stop trying is to start dying
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chief nfachairman, Chriskendo43, dankhalifa, donadoni, Google [Bot], ikeo, living, Majestic-12 [Bot], marko and 40 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group