EGUAVOEN: Rohr Should Invite Babatunde.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: EGUAVOEN: Rohr Should Invite Babatunde.....

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Nothing wrong with taking a look at him. To be honest, we do not know what shape Babatunde is in, so it is hard to comment on his current form. I think that best thing for Rohr to do now is to go to Qatar to see if he is still the player he was in 2014. At the last World Cup, Michael Babatunde was our most creative player by far.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:I must admit I am perplexed as to how this boys career did not take off after the World Cup. he looked like a very good playmaker.

I must admit I have not watched him since but it would be a good idea for Rohr to have a look at him. If Mikel is sitting alongside Ndidi in front of the defence, we need an agile and mobile playmaker who can orchestrate things upfront.

For now, I only really see Kelechi Nwakali as that man but having Michael Babatunde compete for the shirt with him sounds like a great idea to me. Our team is finally taking shape.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Una done start again. Agents hard at work
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Everyday in Nigeria we complain about politicians penchant for bribery and corruption we always complain how Nigeria would be great if not for corrupt politicians. However, I have always known that our politicians are just a product of your regular Nigerian citizens. Some of these people will sell their country for Amala and ewedu. This nonsense has been happening since 1998 anytime we qualify for World Cup bunch of agents/fraudstars parading themselves as scout will receive money from backwater guys to promote their players. Where was all these non-exceptional players when we were qualifying for World Cup? What’s even upsetting me is that rohr doesn’t seem like a man of no integrity but these guys keep distracting him
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

john12 wrote:Everyday in Nigeria we complain about politicians penchant for bribery and corruption we always complain how Nigeria would be great if not for corrupt politicians. However, I have always known that our politicians are just a product of your regular Nigerian citizens. Some of these people will sell their country for Amala and ewedu. This nonsense has been happening since 1998 anytime we qualify for World Cup bunch of agents/fraudstars parading themselves as scout will receive money from backwater guys to promote their players. Where was all these non-exceptional players when we were qualifying for World Cup? What’s even upsetting me is that rohr doesn’t seem like a man of no integrity but these guys keep distracting him

Do you have any evidence to support your insinuation that Eguavoen is asking Rohr to look at Babatunde because he stands to gain from it financially?
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

What else does he stand to gain from it? What club do babatunde play for? Why didn’t eguavoen call for baabatunde prior to us qualifying for World Cup? Actually, it might not just be monetary gain that these agents receive they might just be friends that’s why eguavoen would just speak silly. Also, this issue transcends babatunde micheal because the moment 1 “hey you” is called up every hey you would take notice and will be expecting similar call up. Ayo, babatunde wasnt better than Mikel Obi at that last World Cup nor is babatunde currently better than him or Etebo now
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

john12 wrote:What else does he stand to gain from it? What club do babatunde play for? Why didn’t eguavoen call for baabatunde prior to us qualifying for World Cup? Actually, it might not just be monetary gain that these agents receive they might just be friends that’s why eguavoen would just speak silly. Also, this issue transcends babatunde micheal because the moment 1 “hey you” is called up every hey you would take notice and will be expecting similar call up. Ayo, babatunde wasnt better than Mikel Obi at that last World Cup nor is babatunde currently better than him or Etebo now

I must confes I have not watched Babatunde of late but if he is playing well, why should he not be invited? Please stop this "qualifier argument." It really gets on my nerves. The qualifiers are over and done with and now we musty prepared for the main tournament.

There is no correlation between who played against Swaziland, Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia and who is best equipped to play against Brazil, Germany, Spain, France and Sweden. If anything, blame Rohr for not scouting these players during the qualifiers.
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

danfo driver wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Michael Babatunde will be great back-up for Mikel Obi – Eguavoen
http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/11/29/m ... -eguavoen/
By admin - November 29, 2017, 8:44 am307 0
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

Former Super Eagles coach Austin Eguavoen has told SCORENigeria coach Gernot Rohr need not search too far for a back-up for Eagles captain Mikel Obi as Qatar SC midfielder Michael Babatunde would be a great replacement if given the chance.

Eguavoen, who worked with Michael Babatunde in the Nigeria U23s in 2011, said: “Michael has grown tremendously as a player. We all saw his exploits in Brazil 2014.

“I am not saying Rohr should give him an automatic shirt, but he should give him a trial with the friendlies ahead.”

The left-footed forward’s 2014 World Cup was cut short by a freak injury against Argentina when Ogenyi Onazi’s shot fractured his hand.

He has made 11 appearances for the Super Eagles since he made his debut on May 31, 2013.

He has previously played in Ukraine and Morocco before he joined Qatar SC for €1 million in July 2016.
Eguavoen just lost the respect I had for him. How can anyone advocate for the inclusion of Michael Babatunde in this day and age. This is why some people don't want Nigerian coaches handling the SE anymore with their dubious selection.

Eguavoen lost all respect I had for him in July 1994. I met him at Uniben Sports Complex in 1999, when we were playing "set." While all those Uniben boys were running around him, I walked up to him and I told him to his face that he is a disappointment and he screamed "who be this small boy." :roll:
So you insulted him in 1999, way after his career when he was trying to have a little fun on the side? Clearly you did not bring his Super Eagles form and you lost respect for him as a player, as a man and as a coach. I get all that, but not your answer to him. So again, "Who be dis small boy"?
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

There’s definitely a correlation between topping your WCQ group in a group of death and the main World Cup. Do you realize that our wcq consisted of team that had almost 10 World Cup appearance between them and all previous nations cup winners. Infact, 3 teams that qualified for the previous World Cup has never been grouped simultaneously with only 1 team needed. The reason why I vehemently oppose integrating non/exceptional to super eagles for World Cup is because of our past antecedent and trajectory at World Cup. That policy has never worked
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

john12 wrote:There’s definitely a correlation between topping your WCQ group in a group of death and the main World Cup. Do you realize that our wcq consisted of team that had almost 10 World Cup appearance between them and all previous nations cup winners. Infact, 3 teams that qualified for the previous World Cup has never been grouped simultaneously with only 1 team needed. The reason why I vehemently oppose integrating non/exceptional to super eagles for World Cup is because of our past antecedent and trajectory at World Cup. That policy has never worked

[1] I can tell you now that there is zero correlation between the two. Nigeria is not going to face Swaziland, Cameroon, Zambia and Algeria in Russia

[2] If you were to pick a group of three average European teams like say Denmark, Sweden and Iceland, they would give us more headaches than Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia

[3] What teams did in the past has no bearing on what is going on today. Do you know that Hungary have got to two World Cup finals before? Should they be feared too because of that? Do you know that the USA, Austria and Poland have all won Wold Cup bronze medals before?

[4] I always use this analogy - Consider qualification like a team trying to get out of Division Two and the World Cup itself like you have gained promotion to the Premier League. It is not the players that got you promoted from the second division that are going to win the Premiership for you

[5] Gernot Rohr adopted a stance of not changing the squad he inherited as he just focused on qualification by whatever means possible. He will be perfectly aware, however, that the squad that qualified is nowhere near good enough to go to the World Cup proper

[6] Personally, I think Rohr should have been braver in qualification, trying out some of these new players but alas, the man appeared to be very conservative. I guess his stance was - I will not start preparing for the World Cup until I qualify for it

[7] Since we have qualified, a lot of players have come through, have been introduced to him and are currently being looked at. The good thing is that several of these new players like Uzoho, Ebuehi and Idowu have all shown they are up to the task and have improved the team immensely

[8] It is good that we have a vibrant and aggressive scouting radar (albeit informal and unofficial) that can spot Nigerian footballers and recommend them to the coach. It is now up to Rohr to look at these players and determine if they are good enough or not

[9] I find it totally unacceptable and thoroughly childish that some badly brought-up, intellectually lazy and despicable forumers on CE respond to every suggestion that a player be looked at with the response that whoever is proposing them is doing so for financial gain. It is easy to spot the never-do-wells who were always last in class and disruptive in school. I guess when one suggests constructing a road, railway network or sea port in any part of Nigeria, that person is also doing it for financial gain. Some people simply do not have the IQ to debate intelligently so will always react to intelligent suggestions with childish and churlish allegation which they bandy about at will. Apart from anything else, it shows they were not brought up with any decent principles for their minds to always wander in such directions. You will notice that I avoid such people on the forum and never respond to them

[10] Back to the point about new players, Rohr has said he will continue looking at more options and that is the way to go. Everyone else is doing likewise and it is the only sensible and logical thing to do. Every team wants to takes its best 32 players to the World Cup.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

green4life wrote:Una done start again. Agents hard at work
Does it really matter? No harm in taking a look at the kid and if he's balling then good for us...if he ends up contributing positively to the cause then good for Egu as well if a little something gets kicked down to him for the heads up. Babatunde was one of our best players at the last world cup after all its just an invite to try out not to be automatically selected.

The problem I'd have is if Babatunde isn't up to scratch and he's still selected. That's the key thing. Has anyone been keeping tabs on him?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Babatunde------Poster child of what was wrong with Naija footie in Brazil.

The less said the better.

Keep him away from the team I beg.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Ugbowo wrote:Babatunde------Poster child of what was wrong with Naija footie in Brazil.

That is your personal opinion. I am sure that 90% of fans would agree that he was one of our best players in the tournament.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:Babatunde------Poster child of what was wrong with Naija footie in Brazil.

That is your personal opinion. I am sure that 90% of fans would agree that he was one of our best players in the tournament.
Don't know what games you were watching. Yes, he was full of hustle but his quality on the ball was atrocious.

The way he got on the team in the first place........lets leave that one alone.
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Synopsis wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

danfo driver wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Nothing wrong with taking a look at him. To be honest, we do not know what shape Babatunde is in, so it is hard to comment on his current form. I think that best thing for Rohr to do now is to go to Qatar to see if he is still the player he was in 2014. At the last World Cup, Michael Babatunde was our most creative player by far.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:woot: :rotf: :rotf:
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Joke of the day :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

So according to Ayo Akinfe's logic, a player in the obscure Qatari league is best equipped to face the big guns of world football like Germany, Spain, France and Brazil. The low level of football that he is currently playing is enough to knock him out of the equation. We are yet to integrate Serie A players like Okonkwo and Obi, some peeps are talking about a player in Qatar! If he was any good, he would not be playing in the Middle East.
I am happy
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Dammy wrote:So according to Ayo Akinfe's logic, a player in the obscure Qatari league is best equipped to face the big guns of world football like Germany, Spain, France and Brazil. The low level of football that he is currently playing is enough to knock him out of the equation. We are yet to integrate Serie A players like Okonkwo and Obi, some peeps are talking about a player in Qatar! If he was any good, he would not be playing in the Middle East.

Where are Mikel and Ighalo currently plying their trade? Has Ghana's leading goalscorer Asamoah Gyan not played the bulk of his club football in the Middle East?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Dammy wrote:So according to Ayo Akinfe's logic, a player in the obscure Qatari league is best equipped to face the big guns of world football like Germany, Spain, France and Brazil. The low level of football that he is currently playing is enough to knock him out of the equation. We are yet to integrate Serie A players like Okonkwo and Obi, some peeps are talking about a player in Qatar! If he was any good, he would not be playing in the Middle East.

Where are Mikel and Ighalo currently plying their trade? Has Ghana's leading goalscorer Asamoah Gyan not played the bulk of his club football in the Middle East?
So the level of the Chinese league and the Qatari league is the same. Please name one top player in the Qatari league and I would name ten in the Chinese league. In one breath you talk about a serious 23 man squad in another you are advocating for a mediocre player. This is why many folks on CE don't take you serious. You keep contradicting yourself without even knowing it!
I am happy
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

danfo driver wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:I must admit I am perplexed as to how this boys career did not take off after the World Cup. he looked like a very good playmaker.

I must admit I have not watched him since but it would be a good idea for Rohr to have a look at him. If Mikel is sitting alongside Ndidi in front of the defence, we need an agile and mobile playmaker who can orchestrate things upfront.

For now, I only really see Kelechi Nwakali as that man but having Michael Babatunde compete for the shirt with him sounds like a great idea to me. Our team is finally taking shape.

:rotf: :rotf: comedy hour on CE
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

metalalloy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: comedy hour on CE
Oh boy, you see as we see am?

He admitted that he has not watched the player lately, so he has ZERO IDEA of the player's present form, yet, he wants the player invited based on what he thinks he saw 3 years ago! :lol: :lol:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Polly wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Michael Babatunde will be great back-up for Mikel Obi – Eguavoen
http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/11/29/m ... -eguavoen/
By admin - November 29, 2017, 8:44 am307 0
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

Former Super Eagles coach Austin Eguavoen has told SCORENigeria coach Gernot Rohr need not search too far for a back-up for Eagles captain Mikel Obi as Qatar SC midfielder Michael Babatunde would be a great replacement if given the chance.

Eguavoen, who worked with Michael Babatunde in the Nigeria U23s in 2011, said: “Michael has grown tremendously as a player. We all saw his exploits in Brazil 2014.

“I am not saying Rohr should give him an automatic shirt, but he should give him a trial with the friendlies ahead.”

The left-footed forward’s 2014 World Cup was cut short by a freak injury against Argentina when Ogenyi Onazi’s shot fractured his hand.

He has made 11 appearances for the Super Eagles since he made his debut on May 31, 2013.

He has previously played in Ukraine and Morocco before he joined Qatar SC for €1 million in July 2016.
Eguavoen just lost the respect I had for him. How can anyone advocate for the inclusion of Michael Babatunde in this day and age. This is why some people don't want Nigerian coaches handling the SE anymore with their dubious selection.

Eguavoen lost all respect I had for him in July 1994. I met him at Uniben Sports Complex in 1999, when we were playing "set." While all those Uniben boys were running around him, I walked up to him and I told him to his face that he is a disappointment and he screamed "who be this small boy." :roll:
So you insulted him in 1999, way after his career when he was trying to have a little fun on the side? Clearly you did not bring his Super Eagles form and you lost respect for him as a player, as a man and as a coach. I get all that, but not your answer to him. So again, "Who be dis small boy"?
I gave him a piece of my mind for the penalty he conceded against Italy in 1994. I couldn't careless about his performance (or lack thereof) during the "choosing" at Sports complex.

I once played "choosing" with Thompson Oliha at Edokpolor Grammar School when I went to write GCE, during a break. I shook his hand.