Rohr to recall Martins and Joel Obi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oyek
Egg
Egg
Rohr to recall Martins and Joel Obi

Post by oyek »

Super Eagles Scout Agali Hints At Eagles Recall For Obafemi Martins & Joel Obi
November 29, 201703

The newly appointed scout of the Super Eagles has told fans of the team not to be surprised if the duo of Obafemi Martins and Joel Obi are called up by coach Gernot Rohr for their games next year.

Martins ended the season in spectacular form for Chinese Cup winners Shanghai Shenhua, with the 33 year old scoring a stunning goal in the final match against Shanghai SIPG last weekend.

Obi as first reported by Owngoalnigeria.com has already won over Rohr with his impressive displays for Torino in the midfield, where he he has also scored two goals despite operating as a deep laying play maker.

Their form has caught the attention of Rohr, and according to Agali. The duo are set for a recall to the team next year, but added that they have to keep ‎working hard.

“All players who are currently performing to expectation in their respective club sides have equal chance. The coach {Rohr] is a disciplinarian who welcomes players based on merit.

“Don’t be surprised to see the likes of in-form Obafemi Martins, Joel Obi and others returning to the team, and I myself won’t hesitate to scout for more legs that will help maintain the good form.” Agali was quoted as saying by Sportsvillagesquare.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/11/29/su ... -joel-obi/
If not for Jesus, where will i be?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rohr to recall Martins and Joel Obi

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

This Agali better keep his mouth shut.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Useless journalism...
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Please, Ogbeche just scored a hat trick. I heard the King himself, Oga Kanu, is back in training.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Own freaking goal
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Joel Obi I am all for but am not sure about Martins.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Joel Obi I am all for but am not sure about Martins.
I thought you were looking for a target man :taunt:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

They will be good additions if in tip top shape.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

I don't see why these guys cannot be recalled for Russia 2018.

[/video]
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Goldleaf wrote:I don't see why these guys cannot be recalled for Russia 2018.

[/video]
I see no reason either, call them, they are on form, esp. as we are really lacking class center forwards, Martins provides us another option. Joel Obi when fit would be a very good addition even provides cover at LB or can play the LW if Rohr wants to go with 3 in the back again.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Martins was at his creative BEST around 2 years ago, the SE missed that boat.

When he was last recalled, he hardly featured..hardly given a shot!

The man at Seattle Sounders, I am telling you was more intelligent and creative than anywhere else! Not in Inter Milan, not in Newcastle..NOWHERE! The only thing he had that was better at Inter, was his youth! His agility, speed and explosion!

Give him the same physicality that he had in his prime, two years ago, and bobo would be unstoppable!

but we missed out on it...I barked and I barked. His physicality cannot be any better 2/3 years later. Probably even slower etc.

SHAME! We have a bad habit in the SE of judging players off one or two bad games. It is rather stupid. And then you have someone like Ighalo who stunk up the joint for 10 plus games, and he is a go to guy? There is no consistency.

I don't support Martins coming back into the team, it's too late now.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

maceo4 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Joel Obi I am all for but am not sure about Martins.
I thought you were looking for a target man :taunt:

Martins' best days are behind him. Besides, he is not a targetman.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Martins has more intelligence than the youth we are parading now.

I would have liked to see him mentoring the young lads 2 years ago. The guy knows how to find space, how to work the ball of his teammates. You thought Ighalo and Deeney was telepathic? Martins is in a different league when it comes to that.

Iheanacho needs to be learning from Martins, how to move with the ball, how to make deep runs. How to be versatile. Martins can almost play ANY role upfront, believe it or not. The guy is something else now.

Unfortunately he has lost his youth. If Martins was 5/6 years younger, there is no way I wouldn't start him, with the intelligence that he now has. It's a shame....if he had this intelligence at Inter, he would have been Eto'os equal!
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Komani
Egg
Egg

Post by Komani »

Martins plays in the same Chinese league as Ighalo and last I checked has similar or even better numbers than him. He is a good option to have on the bench
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Thanks Komani. I am not a fan of old stuff. However, on current form and yes, in the Chinese league, Martins is the second best man we have in a 4-2-3-1. No sentiment.
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

nzeogwu wrote:Thanks Komani. I am not a fan of old stuff. However, on current form and yes, in the Chinese league, Martins is the second best man we have in a 4-2-3-1. No sentiment.
I agree. Besides no current SE has the goal record of Martins.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Own freaking goal
:rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Tbite wrote:Martins has more intelligence than the youth we are parading now.

I would have liked to see him mentoring the young lads 2 years ago. The guy knows how to find space, how to work the ball of his teammates. You thought Ighalo and Deeney was telepathic? Martins is in a different league when it comes to that.

Iheanacho needs to be learning from Martins, how to move with the ball, how to make deep runs. How to be versatile. Martins can almost play ANY role upfront, believe it or not. The guy is something else now.

Unfortunately he has lost his youth. If Martins was 5/6 years younger, there is no way I wouldn't start him, with the intelligence that he now has. It's a shame....if he had this intelligence at Inter, he would have been Eto'os equal!
You can say that again.

The MLS and Chinese leagues are different.

Seriously, you are yearning opaks...
Martins is slower than 2 years ago? Have you seen him play lately or you're just assuming he slowed down because he is older.

About Martins telepathic play, you failed to mention Clint Dempsey's role in helping Martins two years ago.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Okochadman2Nas
Egg
Egg

Post by Okochadman2Nas »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Please, Ogbeche just scored a hat trick. I heard the King himself, Oga Kanu, is back in training.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Kabalega wrote:
Tbite wrote:Martins has more intelligence than the youth we are parading now.

You can say that again.

The MLS and Chinese leagues are different.

Seriously, you are yearning opaks...
Martins is slower than 2 years ago? Have you seen him play lately or you're just assuming he slowed down because he is older.

About Martins telepathic play, you failed to mention Clint Dempsey's role in helping Martins two years ago.
I have seen him play, more than you have.

They helped each other. Stop with your prejudices. Did YOU actually watch Martins play? You probably have no clue about his role at Sounders! Dude was not an out and out striker! Just so you know!

He was essentially a playmaker! He would play from deep, orchestrate things. He would NEVER idle in the front. He would always build from the back. Yes he did lose his pace. Martins at his fastest was one of the fastest footballers in history, so obviously when a player like that loses pace it is all relative.

And I'm not talking about just speed on the ball! Dude could EASILY have ran track. So all relative. At Newcastle, he still had one of the fiercest shots, but once again all relative. Martins has had to reinvent himself, not simply because of different defenses, but because he has lost his ferocity.

If he hadn't, he would be in the Big Leagues OBVIOUSLY! I suggest you go back and watch him again, without the bias.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...Nigerians will hawk and promote anything for a few bucks.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Komani wrote:Martins plays in the same Chinese league as Ighalo and last I checked has similar or even better numbers than him. He is a good option to have on the bench
The ONLY thing Ighalo has on Martins is age. If age was on Martins side, Ighalo would not be fit to wipe the rags that wiped Martins' boots.

You look at Martins of the 2010 WC, dude was LOST, clueless. A shadow of himself. 1 V 1 with the GK, and he is forcing the issue. The golden years of the past years were behind him, lost a bit of his explosiveness, and was now just relying on gra gra, alongside the likes of Obinna Nsofor. But when the guy went into the MLS, he found something new. He found a new side to the game, he discovered SPACE, he always had PACE, but never understood how to work the ball, how to draw out defenders from deep, how to control the game. The things that even at his prime, meant he was NEVER a World Class player.

If he knew then, what he knows now, he would have been the best Nigerian striker ever. Because that was the only thing missing in his game, well that and dedication in the early years. But, because he has reinvented himself, albeit at this late stage, that is why he can still produce better numbers than Ighalo. It is too late for Martins to be the World Class player that he should have been, but the likes of Iheanacho seriously need to be learning from him. They need his knowledge.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

mcal wrote:...Nigerians will hawk and promote anything for a few bucks.

Stop this childish nonsense. Agali has been apppointed as a scout and has said Martins and Joel are worthy of a look at. You have no right to stifle opinion on what players should be looked at or not.